• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

All Women Jury Chosen For George Zimmerman Trial [W:265]

JackFrost

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
All-women jury chosen for George Zimmerman's trial

SANFORD, Fla. (AP) — A jury of six women, five of them white and the other a minority, was picked Thursday to decide the second-degree murder trial of George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer who says he shot an unarmed black teenager, Trayvon Martin, in self-defense.

The six jurors were culled from a pool of 40 jury candidates who made it into a second round of jury questioning.
Before selecting the jurors Thursday, defense attorney Mark O'Mara explored potential jurors' views on whether they thought sympathy should play a role in deciding a case. Juror B-72, a young Hispanic man, said he wasn't affected by sympathetic people because he's never had many close relationships.
"So when a person might seem sympathetic, to me it's indifferent," he said.

O'Mara also asked the jurors about when they thought self-defense could be used. Juror H-6, a white man in his 30s, said he thought deadly force could be warranted if a person feels danger.
"I feel that if you're somewhere you're supposed to be and allowed to be, you should have the right to defend yourself," he said.

O'Mara met resistance from the judge when he tried to characterize the definition for justifiable use of deadly force.
Prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda objected multiple times during O'Mara's line of questioning, eventually leading to Judge Debra Nelson to twice read what will be the jury instruction once the final jury is selection.
"I don't want either side to give an interpretation on the law," Nelson said.

Women, especially mothers, will relate more to someone's child being chased and killed than a grown man with MMA training gunning down said child.They will also cooperate better than if the jury was mixed with men.

We shall see though.

That alone will be grounds for an appeal if a conviction happens.

Unlike everyone else, I haven't decided guilt or innocence in this case.

If stupidity were a crime, I'd certainly convict him of that but murder, I'm not in possession of all the FACTS.

Women, especially mothers, will relate more to someone's child being chased and killed than a grown man with MMA training gunning down said child.They will also cooperate better than if the jury was mixed with men.

We shall see though.

Waiting for confirmation, but looks like 1 juror in her 30s, 1 in 40s, 3 in 50s and 1 in 60s. 5 of them have kids/grankids Trayvon Martin's age. Perfect group for a guilty verdict:lamo

If stupidity were a crime, I'd certainly convict him of that but murder, I'm not in possession of all the FACTS.

How so? Both sides had a chance to strike jurors for cause and if you just watched the selection, it seems as though the defense struck male jurors themselves. On what grounds would an appeal be granted because of this?

No one here has power to decide guilt or innocence. We can only offer predictions if he will be found guilty or not guilty.

We shall see though.

I'm not saying it's an issue here, but don't underestimate the fear the average middle-aged white woman has with black teenagers in hoodies - it may be irrational in general, but it's real.

Either Zimmerman's counsel knows nothing about voir dire or he's seriously taking a gamble at this.

I'm not saying it's an issue here, but don't underestimate the fear the average middle-aged white woman has with black teenagers in hoodies - it may be irrational in general, but it's real.

I have taken that into account, but I believe the maternal instincts associated with losing a teenage son can easily unite these jurors toward a guilty verdict.

George Zimmerman's a middle-aged white woman? :shock:

This isn't that big of a deal.
While I am sure The prosecution will try to make the "what if this was your kid" appeal, O'Mara will be making the "what if your kid, or husband, was in Zimmerman's position." appeal.

And with the racial issue mentioned by CanadaJohn, it will either be a wash or in the defense's favor.

I have taken that into account, but I believe the maternal instincts associated with losing a teenage son can easily unite these jurors toward a guilty verdict.
Which of course would be wrong as it is not based on the evidence.

How so? Both sides had a chance to strike jurors for cause and if you just watched the selection, it seems as though the defense struck male jurors themselves. On what grounds would an appeal be granted because of this?

There is none. The jury process was fair, and will certainly not be any cause for appeal.

That's not what I've seen in trials - women tend to be hardline tough on crime types when they get the chance. Ever seen a mother mad at her teenage son when he does something wrong? Watch out.

That's not what I've seen in trials - women tend to be hardline tough on crime types when they get the chance. Ever seen a mother mad at her teenage son when he does something wrong? Watch out.

Yes, the crime being charged here is toward George Zimmerman. Trayvon Martin is not on trial here:lol:

We shall see though.

You are making up **** with no evidence to back it up

This post is nothing but a re fried bean ****-stirrer

No one lost a teenage son?
Why do you play these stupid little games?
"I believe the maternal instincts associated with losing a teenage son can easily unite these jurors toward a guilty verdict."
That is wrong. That is which would not be in accord with the evidence.

Yes, the crime being charged here is toward George Zimmerman. Trayvon Martin is not on trial here:lol:

Not legitimately he is not. Nor could he ever be as he is dead.
But an acquittal for Zimmerman is just the same as a guilty verdict for .

Last edited:
Waiting for confirmation, but looks like 1 juror in her 30s, 1 in 40s, 3 in 50s and 1 in 60s. 5 of them have kids/grankids Trayvon Martin's age. Perfect group for a guilty verdict:lamo
I am not sure about that. They are also a perfect group to be afraid of meeting a male alone on the street or walk down a street alone in a dark stormy night. I think the jury is remiss as no male, white, black or Hispanic were selected for the 6 primary jurors. I can see this going to the DCA as not having a jury of peers. Both Zimmerman and Martin were and are males. These women can't understand the mind set of either male.

Last edited:
I am not sure about that. They are also a perfect group to be afraid of meeting a male alone on the street.

Probably not.. They might just say "Good evening" and keep walking.

You know of course that all women are not paranoid.

There is none. The jury process was fair, and will certainly not be any cause for appeal.

As Martin was a black male and Zimmerman is a brown male, I would guess there would be redress in that there is no male of color on the jury who would actually be both of their peers.

Back
Top Bottom