• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

All McNuggets not created equal

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Link
All McNuggets not created equal – Paging Dr. Gupta - CNN.com Blogs

Quote(All McDonald’s nuggets are not created equal.

U.S. McNuggets not only contain more calories and fat than their British counterparts, but also chemicals not found across the Atlantic.

CNN investigated the differences after receiving a blog comment asking about them.

American McNuggets (190 calories, 12 grams of fat, 2 grams of saturated fat for 4 pieces) contain the chemical preservative tBHQ, tertiary butylhydroquinone, a petroleum-based product. They also contain dimethylpolysiloxane, “an anti-foaming agent” also used in Silly Putty.)

OMG not the same stuff they put in Silly Putty??

Quote(By contrast, British McNuggets (170 calories, 9 grams of fat, 1 gram of saturated fat for 4 pieces) lists neither chemical among its ingredients.

“I would certainly choose the British nuggets over the American” says Ruth Winter, author of “A Consumer’s Dictionary of Food Additives.”)

If I absolutely had to choose which of these McNuggets to eat, reluctant though I would be to eat anything that emerged from a McDonalds, I would have to choose that which is prepared the British way.

I have to wonder how many of you who read these threads actually admit to eating at McDonalds?

To those who are as appalled as I am about what McDonalds do may I suggest you buy the raw UNCOATED chicken nuggets at your local grocery store and prepare them at home using your own coating ingredients.
ie: Season to your liking, coat with panko bread crumbs and BAKE in oven, so much healthier than frying, also you control what breading contains.

I wonder if the difference in the McNuggets is due to laws or culture. I've never been to Britain but I've been to continental Europe, and honestly I couldn't taste the difference. I wish they'd start selling the (relatively) healthier food over here.

I just ate there the other day. (first time in many months) I also bought three mcnugget happy meals for my friend's daughters. They got toys and fries instead of apple slices. It was a treat to them and not a regular event. They can get apple slices at home.
I get tired of our Gov. putting their noses in every nook and cranny of private lives and successful business's. I told the girls they better get their toy's and fries while this administration still allows it.( they ordered the fries before i said that.) Sorry if I got off the mcnugget topic. Blood just shoots out of my eyes every time I think about what this big ass government is trying to do to McDonalds and Free Market places like them. Makes me want to eat there more often.

I told the girls they better get their toy's and fries while this administration still allows it.

Great parenting. I wasn't aware that encouraging unhealthy lifestyles was a point of conservative pride, but to each his own.

One thing they all have in common is that they taste like crap.

I just ate there the other day. (first time in many months) I also bought three mcnugget happy meals for my friend's daughters. They got toys and fries instead of apple slices. It was a treat to them and not a regular event. They can get apple slices at home.
I get tired of our Gov. putting their noses in every nook and cranny of private lives and successful business's. I told the girls they better get their toy's and fries while this administration still allows it.( they ordered the fries before i said that.) Sorry if I got off the mcnugget topic. Blood just shoots out of my eyes every time I think about what this big ass government is trying to do to McDonalds and Free Market places like them. Makes me want to eat there more often.

I take your point with respect to Government interference.
However I do not think that in this instance Government is involved, at least I have no evidence of that.
But whoever pointed out this fact that processed foods in at least the UK and likely throughout the EU are more wholesome than processed foods within the US, deserves in my mind, to be congratulated.
I was largely raised in the UK and so far as I can remember, we in the UK rarely followed American eating habits.
Whether that situation has changed i would not like to say as I have not lived extensively in the UK these last 30 odd years.

Wow, I think we have a lot in common.
When my boys were little, I used to give them cigarettes and tell them they'd better savor the flavor of Marlboro Country while they could, because once they were 18 and legally allowed to smoke, it wouldn't taste nearly as good.
I also encouraged them to smoke pot for the same reason- because hippie liberals would soon succeed in decriminalizing it, and then where would the thrill be? :(

* just kidding.

I take your point with respect to Government interference.
However I do not think that in this instance Government is involved, at least I have no evidence of that.
But whoever pointed out this fact that processed foods in at least the UK and likely throughout the EU are more wholesome than processed foods within the US, deserves in my mind, to be congratulated.
I was largely raised in the UK and so far as I can remember, we in the UK rarely followed American eating habits.
Whether that situation has changed i would not like to say as I have not lived extensively in the UK these last 30 odd years.
I apologized for getting off the topic of McNuggets. I really didn't address it, so, yes I'd rather eat them in the UK from the sounds of it. Let the free market work and maybe McDonalds will change their recipe if there is an outcry from consumers. I just don't think we need the goverment putting tons of regulations on fast food places. More and more parental rights are being taken away. And demonizing a legitamite business for giving away toys is outrageous. If a parent can't say "no" to their kids, then maybe they shouldn't have any. On the other hand if a parent wants to "treat" their kids to McDonalds that should be their right. Obama ain't my mama.

Do you really want to know what behind the McNuggets, Mac Donald's uses the consumers as guinea pigs, I wonder if MacDonald;s decided to sell sh!t sandwiches, how many consumers would rave about it.

Ew!
"in the United Kingdom, they are cooked and then coated. As a result, the British McNuggets absorb less oil and have less fat."
Ah - I hope they left out that "they are cooked, then coated, then cooked again" - seems like they just hacked it off the statement.

a federal judge dubbed the food “a McFrankenstein creation of various elements not utilized by the home cook."
I'm quoting this for the laughability of the statement - pure entertainment!

After all this, though - why does it matter? If someone didn't eat too much fastfood they'd, really, only ingest TINY amounts of these substances throughout the course of a year or even a lifetime.

Last edited:
Ew!

Ah - I hope they left out that "they are cooked, then coated, then cooked again" - seems like they just hacked it off the statement.

I'm quoting this for the laughability of the statement - pure entertainment!

After all this, though - why does it matter? If someone didn't eat too much fastfood they'd, really, only ingest TINY amounts of these substances throughout the course of a year or even a lifetime.
Well you know back when i was a kid McDonalds food was pretty damn good, it was hot and fresh all the time but now when i walk in I can see plastic bottles sitting on the grill and the burgers stored in a drawer..for how long is anyone's guess.

Well you know back when i was a kid McDonalds food was pretty damn good, it was hot and fresh all the time but now when i walk in I can see plastic bottles sitting on the grill and the burgers stored in a drawer..for how long is anyone's guess.

I wouldn't know, really - when I was a kid we at at McD's twice in 15 years . . . we were just that broke. You know, that was back when eating any sort of food prepped by anyone else was more expensive than crap in a can from the grocery store.

And as an adult - I don't cherish McD's when I fall off my diet wagon, that's for sure :) However, if I do go there, I do prefer their nuggets rather than a burger - I find them tasty (in comparison to other items on the menu)

That being said I must give praise to the flavorful and almighty Big Mac sauce - which I make at home all the time from scratch. It's quite delicious - especially when used as a dip for onion rings (oooh so unhealthy) and as a salad dressing.
Making it at home, however, gives me options to reduce the fat, sodium and sugar.

Where am I going with this? No where. . . I'm wandering aimlessly out of boredom and, well, more boredom.

Last edited:
I wouldn't know, really - when I was a kid we at at McD's twice in 15 years . . . we were just that broke. You know, that was back when eating any sort of food prepped by anyone else was more expensive than crap in a can from the grocery store.

Yeah, I never ate there either, until I was a teenager.
I never had a hamburger until I was about eleven or twelve, and then it was one off a grill (I didn't like it).
I've never had a hot dog in my entire life.
My family just didn't do hamburgers or hot dogs, although we weren't vegetarians, exactly.

I never had a hamburger until I was about eleven or twelve, and then it was one off a grill (I didn't like it).
My family just didn't do hamburgers or hot dogs, although we weren't vegetarians, exactly.
OMG, damn ..where you living in the deep jungles of the Amazon?

Our 'never had it' was Nachos and Tacos - somehow we went our entire lives, until we moved to Arkansas, to eat such food -and when we did it was at Tiger Harry's - a great restaurant which, unfortunately, later killed 11 people with salmonella.

Our 'never had it' was Nachos and Tacos - somehow we went our entire lives, until we moved to Arkansas, to eat such food -and when we did it was at Tiger Harry's - a great restaurant which, unfortunately, later killed 11 people with salmonella.
OMG you too, where on Gods green earth did you two live?

I wonder if the difference in the McNuggets is due to laws or culture. I've never been to Britain but I've been to continental Europe, and honestly I couldn't taste the difference. I wish they'd start selling the (relatively) healthier food over here.

I had the same thought regarding laws, specifically if the nitritional reporting information was similar, but even stipulating the nutritional info as correct between the two, 20 calories and 3 grams of fat are not going to matter a hill of beans in the larger view of someone's daily diet. Fast food isn't healthy for a reason; the customers don't want it to be.

There are strict laws in reguards to how long the food can sit out and it is timed. If the time is up and that food is still sitting there? It goes in the trash.

OMG, damn ..where you living in the deep jungles of the Amazon?

No, we just ate other things.
We didn't eat a lot of meat. We made soup; we often had a seafood and rice dish called paella. We usually ate Chinese food when we ate out. We had mac and cheese, we had spaghetti. My dad often made this very minimalist tuna casserole that he called "glop". I seriously grew up thinking that "glop" was the correct name for tuna casserole.
We had a lot of breakfast-dinners: like eggs, bacon, hash browns, biscuits or toast. But we'd never have that for breakfast. It tastes better in the evening.

Hamburgers and hot dogs simply weren't on the menu. Neither were sandwiches in general, usually. I believe I had a few grilled cheeses. That's about it.

There are strict laws in reguards to how long the food can sit out and it is timed. If the time is up and that food is still sitting there? It goes in the trash.
Yes I agree there is laws, when the managers gone and the health inspectors aren't watching and kids are running the circus I can't tell you how many times I have recieved cold hamburgers, cold fries and hard hamburger buns and flat coke. Also not to mention the place is a mess, visit any MCDonald's on the MA. Turnpike, CT I-95 and you'll see what I am talking about. McDonald is nothing like it was in the 1970's and 1980's.

No, we just ate other things.
We didn't eat a lot of meat. We made soup; we often had a seafood and rice dish called paella. We usually ate Chinese food when we ate out. We had mac and cheese, we had spaghetti. My dad often made this very minimalist tuna casserole that he called "glop". I seriously grew up thinking that "glop" was the correct name for tuna casserole.
We had a lot of breakfast-dinners: like eggs, bacon, hash browns, biscuits or toast. But we'd never have that for breakfast. It tastes better in the evening.

Hamburgers and hot dogs simply weren't on the menu. Neither were sandwiches in general, usually. I believe I had a few grilled cheeses. That's about it.
WOW, it wasn't on our menu as a rule either, it was considered a treat at least once a week. I hope today your menu is a bit more expanded:)

Great parenting. I wasn't aware that encouraging unhealthy lifestyles was a point of conservative pride, but to each his own.

I think he was referring to the freedom to make a choice. If you read his post, it was a VERY RARE visit... There is no bad parenting in making rare and occasional visits to McDonald's. Once again, the holier than thou left making judgements about the lifestyle choices of others...

I think he was referring to the freedom to make a choice. If you read his post, it was a VERY RARE visit... There is no bad parenting in making rare and occasional visits to McDonald's. Once again, the holier than thou left making judgements about the lifestyle choices of others...

Well, I must say I'm not sure that apple alternative is much better than the fries; it comes with caramel dipping sauce.

Well, I must say I'm not sure that apple alternative is much better than the fries; it comes with caramel dipping sauce.

Never claimed McDonald's was healthy, but there is nothing wrong with an occasional visit, and if you are sufficiently active and don't supersize everything, it isn't even a rediculous calorie load.... I kill many times the calories in a big mac and fries in a single bike ride...

I didn't judge him for going there; I go there myself a lot more often than I should. But encouraging your kid to get fries instead of apples, and then praising that choice as a virtuous stick-it-to-the-man behavior, is ****ing retarded.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom