• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

All It Takes Is One Case...

Cochise

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
You know, for better or worse, most people are responsive to personal anecdotes. If there was one person mistakenly executed, there would be public outrage and a demand that a moratorium be placed on the death penalty, even if more lives would ultimately be saved through its continued application. That’s why I’m seriously, honestly saying that it’s socially and politically unwise to promote legislation that may possibly target Indian-looking people with Spanish surnames that might not be prone to carry government-issued ID. Before the petty nationalism ever began, Arizona was populated by a certain type of people, and it remains a state strongly populated by a certain type of people:

arizona-reservations-sm.jpg

All of that is semi-autonomous territory, and they’re not enforcing state laws so much as selectively enforcing federal laws. But let’s say an O’odham from Pima County gets picked up, mistaken for an illegal or undocumented immigrant, and deported. The sheer audacity of treating the region’s oldest residents that way would draw anger from everyone. I’m whipping this horse beyond death, but it’s important.

You know, for better or worse, most people are responsive to personal anecdotes. If there was one person mistakenly executed, there would be public outrage and a demand that a moratorium be placed on the death penalty, even if more lives would ultimately be saved through its continued application.

So you are suggesting that if someone accidentally gets deported then Arizona will stop their law? You do realize that Arizona's anti-illegal immigration law mirror's the federal law and you do realize that there a few who allegedly get accidentally deported?

That’s why I’m seriously, honestly saying that it’s socially and politically unwise to promote legislation that may possibly target Indian-looking people with Spanish surnames that might not be prone to carry government-issued ID. Before the petty nationalism ever began, Arizona was populated by a certain type of people, and it remains a state strongly populated by a certain type of people:

All of that is semi-autonomous territory, and they’re not enforcing state laws so much as selectively enforcing federal laws. But let’s say an O’odham from Pima County gets picked up, mistaken for an illegal or undocumented immigrant, and deported. The sheer audacity of treating the region’s oldest residents that way would draw anger from everyone. I’m whipping this horse beyond death, but it’s important.
If the law racially profiles please point to where it does that.

Pdf : Revised Arizona immigration enforcement bill: full text

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...11df-9876-001cc4c03286.pdf.pdf?_dc=1272645050

You know, for better or worse, most people are responsive to personal anecdotes. If there was one person mistakenly executed, there would be public outrage and a demand that a moratorium be placed on the death penalty, even if more lives would ultimately be saved through its continued application. That’s why I’m seriously, honestly saying that it’s socially and politically unwise to promote legislation that may possibly target Indian-looking people with Spanish surnames that might not be prone to carry government-issued ID. Before the petty nationalism ever began, Arizona was populated by a certain type of people, and it remains a state strongly populated by a certain type of people:

Because the actual decision on whether to deport someone rests entirely with the federal government, I don't see how an error like you describe would be AZ's fault.

Back
Top Bottom