• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

All gloom and doom?

Is America really as bad off as some candidates would have us believe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FluffyNinja

All Warm and Fuzzy
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
So, here's the gist of the poll.....according to Trump's and Bernie's campaigns, and especially in light of the very dreary picture of America the Donald painted yesterday in his acceptance speech, in which he's assured us by the way that he's the only single person in America who can fix this dystopian society in which we are living....one simple question:

overall (socially, educationally, economically, and regarding national security) is America really in as bad of shape as Trumpsters and Bernie Bots would have us believe? Honest answers please.

Last edited:
So, here's the gist of the poll.....according to Trump's and Bernie's campaigns, and especially in light of the very dreary picture of America the Donald painted yesterday in his acceptance speech, in which he's assured us by the way that he's the only single person in America who can fix this dystopian society in which we are living....one simple question: overall (socially, educationally, economically, and regarding national security) is America really in as bad of shape as Trumsters and Bernie Bots would have us believe? Honest answers please.

It will be if HC appoints three SC justices.

Possibly true....but the poll applies to conditions now.

You've conflated the two party's together, which means when I vote I'm giving both the same amount of credit for either being accurate or not. For that reason, I can't vote in the poll.

You've conflated the two party's together, which means when I vote I'm giving both the same amount of credit for either being accurate or not. For that reason, I can't vote in the poll.

I understand. But that was sort of my intent. Its not a partisan poll. I'm basically curious as to how or why many people in the electorate can't seem to see past the "crisis creation" and "make an issue out of a non issue" tactics employed by both parties during a presidential election year. And it clearly profits the MSM to feed the hyperbole.

Just wanted to see how many posters may feel the same way I suppose. Or perhaps things really are that bad and I'm just being obtuse????

Possibly true....but the poll applies to conditions now.

We have to be willing to admit that there are problems before we can fix them. Looking at the world through rose colored glasses doesn't work. Teaching the world to sing in perfect harmony and singing Kumbaya around the campfire have done nothing to make us wiser, stronger, and more secure. In fact, there are those who have scripted a false narrative which has left us in imminent danger.

Islamist terrorism is real. Racial unrest is real. Poverty is real. Stupidity is real. Drug addiction is real. The list is long.

Because of instant communication, the dark sides of ubiquitous dysfunction seems commonplace. We have become desensitized. There are people who would tell you that "it is what it is." You can't fix it. It will only get worse. What did you expect? They want you to believe that the "new normal" is going to be here forever. By dumbing down expectations, they rationalize their own failures. I'll repeat, THEY RATIONALIZE THEIR OWN FAILURES.

I say, "SCREW THEM." They are quitters and losers and alibi artists and excuse makers. There are those of you out there who have been down for so long that you have forgotten what UP looks like. When are you going to wake and realize that nobody respects a quitter and a loser. Nobody! Not even other quitters and losers.

So, to answer your question, America is actually worse off than we are being told. It's funny though, all the people I know who are smart enough to tie their shoelaces have known that for a long. We don't need politicians to tell us.

I understand. But that was sort of my intent. Its not a partisan poll. I'm basically curious as to how or why many people in the electorate can't seem to see past the "crisis creation" and "make an issue out of a non issue" tactics employed by both parties during a presidential election year. And it clearly profits the MSM to feed the hyperbole.

Just wanted to see how many posters may feel the same way I suppose. Or perhaps things really are that bad and I'm just being obtuse????

Well, let me answer it this way: In that the cries of awfulness from both parties is endemic and symptomatic of the danger this country is in for numerous real reasons? Sure, they're all fairly accurate, and in some instances it's even worse, as Maggs stated in her post.

I hope that answers your question.

Hard to know how to answer this one. The problem is entirely other than what most people, including politicians, are saying or understand. The problem is that people in this nation have generally forgotten that we're all supposed to be on the same team. What one does affects everyone else--from elite traders on Wall Street to the local school janitor. This is lethal to a society. It happens when one civilization reaches the zenith of societies within its sphere of influence. People in that society forget that everyone has a responsibility to give their best, distribute resources in an egalitarian manner, and treat others with respect and fairness. Instead, one citizen seeks unfair advantage against others, and vice versa.

Another way to think about the process is this: in the early stages of a civilization, competition is generally with outsiders--other nations, rather than between members of the civilization. In that phase, members of the civilization recognize their co-nationals as being part of their group. There is a view that each individual is integrated into an enterprise, and all these factors combine to elicit the best from every individual. But as that civilization wins its wars, it enjoys a few generations of overflowing wealth, during which time, it fragments and stratifies to much greater extent than had been the case. At that point, it's basically done for--only a matter of time. External pressures complicate and sometimes speed things up, but collapse is probably inevitable when citizens of a nation start to perceive their co-nationals as enemies. That's basically what happened to Rome, to the various Islamic Caliphates, the British Empire, and we're in the early stages of that process.

We need a balance of liberal and conservative justices. But, of course, you know that.

A. The court has leaned conservative for a very long time, only recently changing with the death of Scalia.
B. No need for any such balance has been demonstrated.
Cl There is no evidence that either her chosen judges would be in some way damaging to the country or that they'd even be explicitly liberal.

But you know that.

Well, let me answer it this way: In that the cries of awfulness from both parties is endemic and symptomatic of the danger this country is in for numerous real reasons? Sure, they're all fairly accurate, and in some instances it's even worse, as Maggs stated in her post.

I hope that answers your question.

Hey, If you're happy with your answer then I'm elated.

A. The court has leaned conservative for a very long time, only recently changing with the death of Scalia.
B. No need for any such balance has been demonstrated.
Cl There is no evidence that either her chosen judges would be in some way damaging to the country or that they'd even be explicitly liberal.

But you know that.

No, I don't know that.

So, here's the gist of the poll.....according to Trump's and Bernie's campaigns, and especially in light of the very dreary picture of America the Donald painted yesterday in his acceptance speech, in which he's assured us by the way that he's the only single person in America who can fix this dystopian society in which we are living....one simple question:

overall (socially, educationally, economically, and regarding national security) is America really in as bad of shape as Trumpsters and Bernie Bots would have us believe? Honest answers please.

My take? Hitler delivered the same message, but with more emotion. 'Course, Hitler's boogiemen were more immediate, but Trump did a pretty good job of portraying the villainous mob clamoring at the gates and how only he could hold the wall. Both understand that a real hero needs a worthy opponent and if one's not right at hand it must be conjured.
And both are (were) the only saviour the people (Volk) have to turn to because nasty, unprincipled villains who don't love the country or it's people have allowed it to become a base, degraded shell of it's former glory for their own selfish interests.

****ty candidates who shouldn't get anywhere near the office that they are running for fare a lot better when we're pissed off, divided, and afraid. and that goes for both sides.

What has saved us from Obama is the tenacity and individualism of the US population. Believe in yourself, not a government.

Ah, well then let me be the first to assure you that your fears seem unfounded based on the evidence we currently have.

Well, thank you. And like so many others on DP, I just may change my vote?

The last one, obviously. Both candidates are liars and utter morons.

I chose things are worse because I'm not really sure how long we can sustain many aspects of our economy and labor force. I believe we could see a very terrible economic collapse that would beggar the Great Depression and we aren't as resourceful today as we were in the past.

An economic crash on that scale would make every of the other categories you mentioned significantly worse (e.g. social, education, security).

I don't necessarily think that either Trump or Bernie have the situation right, both are playing to their base and not looking at the reality of the problems. I happen to think that the problems are more dire than some claim because the problems are much deeper than a lot of people want to admit. It isn't just a few policies here or there that are bad, it's the entire core ideology that a lot of Americans have that I think is toxic to our entire way of life. It isn't just a crash of the economy that we have to worry about, but a crash of the entire American set of values and that's not something that we can ever come back from.

No, but if the voices of doom and gloom get into power, then I would unfortunately have to argue that America is headed in the wrong direction.

We aren't third world, but if you look at where we used to be, where other countries are, or where we could be - there is obviously a lot we could get better. And we definitely aren't getting better, and in a lot of areas are getting worse.

That doesn't mean it'll happen tomorrow, just like it's be going on for years and years, it will continue, and eventually other countries will probably surpass us in more than just one area. But yes, people in politics and the media sensationalize EVERYTHING. I'm not sure why I even have to say that, it's pretty common sense.

Back
Top Bottom