• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

All Aboard

Did you depart the Trump train?

• I boarded at the start and will never depart

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I never got on to depart

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • I departed shortly after his inauguration

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I departed when ________ (name the event)

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • I recently departed

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

switt

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Personally, I never got on the Train but many in family are still onboard. I understand that once boarded, many, if not most, are committed to ride to its bitter end. I believe we are witnessing that bitter end now, at least I hope. If you are on the "stop the steal" track, understand that if successful, there would likely not be a return to democracy as we knew it.

I'm not sure I ever got on it, really. I was disappointed when he won the nomination in 2016, but I stuck with him thinking, as many did, that he would get more serious when he became president. When he didn't, I jumped off the train. I even left the GOP. I'm still a traditional conservative, though.

I actually gave Trump a hard look from March through mid-summer of '16, during his first campaign.

He was a non-politician Indie, and had a platform (originally) in support of universal healthcare. Two things I highly prized. Then, he attacked John McCain & his service to our country. Soon, he claimed an American judge of Mexican descent was not qualified to judge him. And finally, I saw him denigrate Gold Star parents.

I had seen enough. I could never vote for a man like this. I held my noise, and cast my vote for HRC.

As time went on during Trump's term in office, he continued to alienate & disgust me to the point I became a Democrat once again, which was the party I was born into but had left quite a few years before Trump's tenure. Throughout my life I had voted both Dem & Republican for the President, even while I was very active in local Dem politics! But I can no longer in good conscience vote Republican at this time. It's a shame, because I would like to play a part in reining-in the Dem Party if they get too far afield. As a country, I believe we grow & govern best through the middle. Consequently, I'm happy we now have a moderate sensible Dem - in the form of Biden - at the helm.

I actually gave Trump a hard look from March through mid-summer of '16, during his first campaign.

He was a non-politician Indie, and had a platform (originally) in support of universal healthcare. Two things I highly prized. Then, he attacked John McCain & his service to our country. Soon, he claimed an American judge of Mexican descent was not qualified to judge him. And finally, I saw him denigrate Gold Star parents.

I had seen enough. I could never vote for a man like this. I held my noise, and cast my vote for HRC.

As time went on during Trump's term in office, he continued to alienate & disgust me to the point I became a Democrat once again, which was the party I was born into but had left quite a few years before Trump's tenure. Throughout my life I had voted both Dem & Republican for the President, even while I was very active in local Dem politics! But I can no longer in good conscience vote Republican at this time. It's a shame, because I would like to play a part in reining-in the Dem Party if they get too far afield. As a country, I believe we grow & govern best through the middle. Consequently, I'm happy we now have a moderate sensible Dem - in the form of Biden - at the helm.
Well put. I have voted Rep since Reagan with a couple exceptions, for Ross Perot and not for Bush II. The first time I voted Dem was in 2016, also holding my nose, and the second time was for Biden. I must admit, I didn't need hold my nose for Biden, perhaps I'm getting accustomed to the stench? Just kidding, I think Biden is a common sense guy that'll do a good job.

Never got on.

I have never agreed 100% with any President on every issues. I do respect the Office in which they hold. When a President lies, rants, and berates others, I tend to loose respect for that person. Trump has done enough for me not to respect him as the President.

I didn’t vote for Trump and thought him completely unqualified to be President both based on (lack of relevant) experience and temperment.

That said I “got on the Trump train” shortly after the election insofar as he was elected President of my country and I wanted him to be successful. I don’t remember when that train ride ended but it was somewhere in the first 6 months of his Presidency.

Well put. I have voted Rep since Reagan with a couple exceptions, for Ross Perot and not for Bush II. The first time I voted Dem was in 2016, also holding my nose, and the second time was for Biden. I must admit, I didn't need hold my nose for Biden, perhaps I'm getting accustomed to the stench? Just kidding, I think Biden is a common sense guy that'll do a good job.
Thanks!

I like Biden. He's past his prime, but we all know that. I think the (likely) closely divided Congress, may allow some moderate governance. The Dems barely hung-on to the House, and it seems likely ditto for the Repubs in the Senate. So this means the power will reside in the Mitt Romneys & Joe Manchuns of Congress. They will have to be appeased. If the House bipartisan 'Problem Solvers Caucus' stimulus bill manages to prevail, as it seems it may, it might be a harbinger of a new era where the middle becomes the dominate legislative force. I'm excited by this. Let's hope!

I may have gotten on board because of the universal healthcare, but I could never have supported him after his birtherism, and his actions regarding the Central Park 5.

I was never on the “train.” I voted against HRC and hoped Trump would evolve into the job. It didn’t take me long after Inauguration to realize that “becoming Presidential” wasn’t happening. It’s been a race to the bottom since the Inaugural address and crowd controversy. A month and a half out, I think there is still bottom to be dug out....

I was never on the “train.” I voted against HRC and hoped Trump would evolve into the job. It didn’t take me long after Inauguration to realize that “becoming Presidential” wasn’t happening. It’s been a race to the bottom since the Inaugural address and crowd controversy. A month and a half out, I think there is still bottom to be dug out....
Yeah, I hoped DJT would "grow" into the job, too..... but it didn't happen.
He's just too childish and irresponsible.
I expect some blunders and gaffes by politicians but Trump operated on another weird, obnoxious level.
I'm hopeful that the gaffe-prone Biden will do better.

Never got on. His behavior during the run for the nomination convinced me he wasn't presidential material. If I had even considered voting for him, his denigration of John McCain would have sealed his fate for me.

Right about this time is when it went downhill for me.

Thanks!

I like Biden. He's past his prime, but we all know that. I think the (likely) closely divided Congress, may allow some moderate governance. The Dems barely hung-on to the House, and it seems likely ditto for the Repubs in the Senate. So this means the power will reside in the Mitt Romneys & Joe Manchuns of Congress. They will have to be appeased. If the House bipartisan 'Problem Solvers Caucus' stimulus bill manages to prevail, as it seems it may, it might be a harbinger of a new era where the middle becomes the dominate legislative force. I'm excited by this. Let's hope!
I hope so much that this happens.

I have been posting here almost a year, so I am sure everyone knows I never got on the Trump train.

If I was a Republican I would have voted for Mitt Romney in March for one reason. Guess what it is.

Was never a fan of him or his show. Bullshitters have always been easy for me to spot. Successful salesmen and con artists can be very convincing so don't blame anyone who fell hard for his act.

I never got on and when it became evident that Trump would win the Republican nomination in 2016 I left the party.

Back
Top Bottom