• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Aljazeera America debuts Tuesday at 3pm eastern

Smeagol

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I've already set my DVD to record. They claim they'll be all about news and now opinionating. Should be interesting. Stand up comedy that American TV viewers will have to turn to Aljazeera to get not biased information that isn't secretly or openly trying to manipulate their audiences thinking.

I've already set my DVD to record. They claim they'll be all about news and now opinionating. Should be interesting. Stand up comedy that American TV viewers will have to turn to Aljazeera to get not biased information that isn't secretly or openly trying to manipulate their audiences thinking.

Sorry, but there isn't such a thing as "no-biased" reporting. The simple fact news channels CHOOSE what to even report on is biased.

Heya Sméagol. :2wave: What Channel? Cable or Direct TV? Is that everybody or just some areas?

I currently have cable, Apple TV and Roku so not sure which channel it'll be on DirecTV or DISH. I'll look it up. Aljazeera bought AL Gore's Current-TV so it all likelihood it'll be wherever Current-TV presently is on your channel lineup.

BTW: The live video stream in Aljazeera English (possibly different than what Aljazeera America will be), is no longer available to US IP addresse through their iPad AP and on Roku. Many in the Roku community are having a fit because of wanting to see comprehensive coverage of Egypt on the brink of civil war.

FYI: One of the big national cable-TV providers is still in talks with Aljazeera and might not carry the channel; Time-Warner Cable I think.

Sorry, but there isn't such a thing as "no-biased" reporting. The simple fact news channels CHOOSE what to even report on is biased.

I happen to the think Aljazeera America will be an agenda driven propaganda tool myself. However, based on their initial statements I do think they'll be subtle about it, at least at first or only plan to turn on their mind control machine during election seasons. ???

One thing right out of the gates is they plan to keep the name Aljazeera and its Arab language logo, which have huge negative imagery in America as the mouthpiece for Al Qaeda to the Arab world willing broadcasting video messages from Osama Bin Laden, which everyone realized contained coded communiques to Al Qaeda cells throughout the world. So up front, by keeping the name and logo its image repair damage control to the American people and especially so if the are careful to be as impartial in their reporting as possible.

Last edited:
Bracing For ‘Impact,’ Al Jazeera America Prepares To Launch - TVNewser

Al Jazeera America has a long, tough road ahead.

Ehab Al Shihabi, the interim CEO for the channel, acknowledges as much. Al Shihabi said that according to their market research, 75% of people surveyed that had never seen any Al Jazeera programming had a negative perception of the brand. ...​

Heya Sméagol. :2wave: What Channel? Cable or Direct TV? Is that everybody or just some areas?

DirecTV Channel 358
Dish Network Channel 215
Comcast Channel 107 or 125
Verizon FiOS Channel 114 and 1750
AT&T U-verse Channel 189

That's most of the country. Some might need to check their system's listings for Current-TV, especially if they're served by a local only or regional cable provider.

What I dont get is, why an Al Jazzera America? Al Jazzera in English brilliant should be more than enough for Americans... Only reason I could see them doing an American version, would be to compete on domestic news.. and that is brain dead.

No what they should do is run Al Jazzera in English and add in an America news program during prime time.. that would have made it much more popular imo. What they are doing is doomed to fail, alone because of the stigmata of the name and the ignorance of most Americans.

What I dont get is, why an Al Jazzera America? Al Jazzera in English brilliant should be more than enough for Americans... Only reason I could see them doing an American version, would be to compete on domestic news.. and that is brain dead.

No what they should do is run Al Jazzera in English and add in an America news program during prime time.. that would have made it much more popular imo. What they are doing is doomed to fail, alone because of the stigmata of the name and the ignorance of most Americans.

Sort of like BBC America, or do you think that the BBC in the US should be called BBC in English?

They'll be dressed in plaid shirts, beaver caps and have gun racks hanging on the walls......with AK-47's of course. :lol:

Sort of like BBC America, or do you think that the BBC in the US should be called BBC in English?

Actually that is different. As far as I know, BBC America is not a news channel per say, and has shows like Dr Who and other BBC programs (non news).

ROTFLOL... ugh... ugh... hey Dude... ugh... can you score me some of what y'er smok'in? ...ugh... Dude?

(Drum roll)... Introducing Al Gorejazeera... the latest in a long list of anti-American channels. Yipeeee!

Now pass that doobie... Dude.

ROTFLOL... ugh... ugh... hey Dude... ugh... can you score me some of what y'er smok'in? ...ugh... Dude?

(Drum roll)... Introducing Al Gorejazeera... the latest in a long list of anti-American channels. Yipeeee!

Now pass that doobie... Dude.

Gore has sold it outright to Al-Jazeera and will have no involvement in the channel after today at 3pm.

Gore has sold it outright to Al-Jazeera and will have no involvement in the channel after today at 3pm.

I can make you one promise. I'll never watch it.

You might be unaware even CNN has 2 (actually 3 if you count HLN) English language networks. We see CNN in the US but outside of the US they have a different network called CNN International. Totally different set, different anchors, a more laid back delivery style, less fancy graphics and different program content. Years ago if you had DirecTV you could see CNNi, which I personally enjoyed because I like seeing how America is portrayed outside of America especially in the wake of the 9/11 tragedy and the early phases of the War on Terror. Plus they did a weekend magazine show on Africa that I liked; I think it was called Africa This Week. Not all but a good number of their anchors were from other countries with anchor desks in New York, Atalanta and Hong Kong. Then it was canceled to US audiences I presume in efforts to shore up the ratings of the domestic CNN. The domestic CNN is different in that there is a little more energy in the presentation, more focus on domestic political stuff and more domestic news stories.

I'm just guessing Aljazeera America will probably be more energetic, better graphics/animation because it seems Americans like high end production values and energy. Probably more US policy and domestic events coverage and I hear a few familiar faces Americans would recognize. Again, although they SAY they won't carry opinionated programming, I think its less about staking a claim in the US advertising market and more about softening American attitudes toward the Middle East, subtly creating distance in the American and Israeli friendship and presenting oil as the best thing to happen to America since the invention of the industrial electric bread slicer. Unlike Fox News Channel where the Saudi Royal Family only has minority ownership, the Qatari Royal Family owns Aljazeera 100%. The level to which they can subtly influence Americans against their historic loyalty to Israel is somewhat limited on Fox News. They do however seem to be totally on board in pushing maintaining the oil only agenda as well as subtle support where possible for traditional Middle Eastern dictator rule in their Arab Spring coverage that helps keep US policy at least among conservatives leaning toward the interests of the Royal Family via molding the positions of conservative voters. Aljazreera, I'm assuming will take it a step further by not only encouraging the continuance of the oil monopoly using every argument they or anybody else has ever thought of but also will likely portray Israel as a menace to the Middle East and probably to a more center audience. We'll only know after we see it over time, of course. I'm pretty sure phase one however will be to build trust so I expect nothing dramatically biased until a relationship of trust is established. They might even come up with some clever Slogans like "Impartial and Fair" or "We Present The Facts, You Make Up Your Own Mind", then once loyalty and trust is established they can be safe to turn up the bias to full throttle and because they will by then be trusted, their devoted audience will actually think the opinion molding propaganda they're being fed its actually objectivity at its finest.

I find it astounding that around a decade after freely carrying coded Osama Bin Laden communiques to Al Qaeda terrorist cells around the world on the next steps on how and where to kill Americans and which American interests to target to their Middle Eastern audience and then calling it news, they actually now have an American TV channel. I guess there's very little limit on what money can buy when you have hundreds of thousands of Americans handing their money over to them at gas pumps across America. They've got us by the (fill-in-the-blank with whatever word you want) as long as oil is vital to our survival.

Last edited:
I can make you one promise. I'll never watch it.

:lamo I see myself as an amateur intelligence analyst so I'll watch it just to see what their propaganda strategy is.

:lamo I see myself as an amateur intelligence analyst so I'll watch it just to see what their propaganda strategy is.

I have been following its international channel for some years. It measures up quite well against France24 and BBC, is a lot less slanted than RT and much better than Euronews is internationally. On some subjects they will give the news a visible spin. But BBC, ARD or France24 do that too. To keep an even keel you have to rotationally catch the news on all of them. You then might not know what is real, but you will know the standpoints.

You might be unaware even CNN has 2 (actually 3 if you count HLN) English language networks. We see CNN in the US but outside of the US they have a different network called CNN International.

I am very aware of this and understand it fully since CNN is an American news channel first, and not started as an international channel. Al Jazzera started off the bat as an international channel, first in Arabic, then English and then Spanish.

I think its less about staking a claim in the US advertising market and more about softening American attitudes toward the Middle East, subtly creating distance in the American and Israeli friendship and presenting oil as the best thing to happen to America since the invention of the industrial electric bread slicer.

Sorry but that could have been easily with Al Jazzera in English. Hell it is often very Israel friendly, having Israeli commentators and so on very regularly. It also gives a voice to the dissidents in Israel who are not okay with the way Israel acts. And if they were just going to be a propoganda machine to make American's like the Middle East more.. then why the hell call it Al Jazzera... that is one of the worst brands in the US.

Unlike Fox News Channel where the Saudi Royal Family only has minority ownership, the Qatari Royal Family owns Aljazeera 100%.

And so what? Fox News is far far far more friendly towards friendly governments in the middle east, and al Jazerra is always on their asses, even the Qatari Royal Family.

The level to which they can subtly influence Americans against their historic loyalty to Israel is somewhat limited on Fox News. They do however seem to be totally on board in pushing maintaining the oil only agenda as well as subtle support where possible for traditional Middle Eastern dictator rule in their Arab Spring coverage that helps keep US policy at least among conservatives leaning toward the interests of the Royal Family via molding the positions of conservative voters.

Eh, so go totally against the present editorial line of Al Jazzera in English and Arabic? Have you even seen Al Jazzera in English lately? They are giving hell to both the Muslim Brotherhood and the Egyptian Military Junta. They were never fans of the Muslim Brotherhood because of the Brotherhoods attitudes towards a free press and especially Al Jazzera, and they are exposing both the previous Mubarak regime's media handling and the present Junta.. not to mention the Brotherhoods.

Aljazreera, I'm assuming will take it a step further by not only encouraging the continuance of the oil monopoly using every argument they

Okay, you have not seen Al Jazzera then. In no way do they promote the continuance of the oil monopoly.. in fact they are doing the opposite. They just had a great documentary about the 7 sisters, exposing the role of big oil in world and middle east politics over the last 100 years. Plus the owners.. Qatar has no oil. It has on the other hand a buttload of gas.

or anybody else has ever thought of but also will likely portray Israel as a menace to the Middle East and probably to a more center audience.

So tell the truth? Look, lets make this clear.. both sides are at fault and Al Jazzera in English goes out of its way to show this. They do not side with the Palestinians exclusively, nor the Israelis. That is why both sides hate them. I see more Israeli's on Al Jazzera than CNN, Sky, and other stations almost combined. That American news outlets never show the Palestinian side of the story is their fault, and maybe it will shock Americans when they watch AL Jazzera America.. that they actually get both sides of the story.... of course the rabid pro-Israeli fanboys will call this anti-Israeli, just as they do with the BBC but hey.. screw them, they are 50% of the problem in the first place.

We'll only know after we see it over time, of course. I'm pretty sure phase one however will be to build trust so I expect nothing dramatically biased until a relationship of trust is established. They might even come up with some clever Slogans like "Impartial and Fair" or "We Present The Facts, You Make Up Your Own Mind", then once loyalty and trust is established they can be safe to turn up the bias to full throttle and because they will by then be trusted, their devoted audience will actually think the opinion molding propaganda they're being fed its actually objectivity at its finest.

Holly crap.. your mind is made up... /clap Rumsfeld and his bogus attacks on the channel under Bush. Al J will have a hard time, no doubt about that, since most people already think they are a terrorist news channel and that is despite 99% of Americans never seeing a single minute of the channel. Pathetic.

I find it astounding that around a decade after freely carrying coded Osama Bin Laden communiques to Al Qaeda terrorist cells around the world

What? Lies lol.. Bush era bull**** lies. Al Jazzera in English never did that, and it is debateable if the Arabic version did, since the only source we have for this, is the highly discredited Bush administration.. you know the guys who spied on everyone and put people in jail without a trial..

on the next steps on how and where to kill Americans and which American interests to target to their Middle Eastern audience and then calling it news, they actually now have an American TV channel.

More lies. Seriously, since when is reporting the news with facts suddenly "telling enemies on how and where to kill Americans"? Did you say the same when GOP members release sensitive information to the public or when Valerie Palme was outed by a vindictive Bush administration?

I guess there's very little limit on what money can buy when you have hundreds of thousands of Americans handing their money over to them at gas pumps across America.

Qatar has very limited oil.. it is gas they sell.

Actually that is different. As far as I know, BBC America is not a news channel per say, and has shows like Dr Who and other BBC programs (non news).
I would think it's closer to CNN International or Speigel English.

I'm certain that the BBC would be showing their news reporting on BBC America if it attracted viewers and that's all the content they had. However they have original content, and that's going to get WAY more viewership in the US than a news report.

Oh this will be interesting I'll have to watch it sometime. :)

I would think it's closer to CNN International or Speigel English.

I'm certain that the BBC would be showing their news reporting on BBC America if it attracted viewers and that's all the content they had. However they have original content, and that's going to get WAY more viewership in the US than a news report.

I'm sure that Pete knows everything about branding to an American audience, so I'll defer to him.

Y
I find it astounding that around a decade after freely carrying coded Osama Bin Laden communiques to Al Qaeda terrorist cells around the world on the next steps on how and where to kill Americans and which American interests to target to their Middle Eastern audience and then calling it news, they actually now have an American TV channel.
You know that story was a scam dreamed up by a Nevada gambling software developer, don't you? :rofl

It's quite a well-known story, but I guess some people still believe it's true. It's not.

the CIA fell victim to an elaborate con by a compulsive gambler who claimed to have developed software that discovered al-Jazeera broadcasts were being used to transmit messages to terrorists buried deep in America.

The Nevada gambler, al-Qaida, the CIA and the mother of all cons | World news | The Guardian

Last edited:
I am very aware of this and understand it fully since CNN is an American news channel first, and not started as an international channel. Al Jazzera started off the bat as an international channel, first in Arabic, then English and then Spanish.

Sorry but that could have been easily with Al Jazzera in English. Hell it is often very Israel friendly, having Israeli commentators and so on very regularly. It also gives a voice to the dissidents in Israel who are not okay with the way Israel acts. And if they were just going to be a propoganda machine to make American's like the Middle East more.. then why the hell call it Al Jazzera... that is one of the worst brands in the US.

And so what? Fox News is far far far more friendly towards friendly governments in the middle east, and al Jazerra is always on their asses, even the Qatari Royal Family.

Eh, so go totally against the present editorial line of Al Jazzera in English and Arabic? Have you even seen Al Jazzera in English lately? They are giving hell to both the Muslim Brotherhood and the Egyptian Military Junta. They were never fans of the Muslim Brotherhood because of the Brotherhoods attitudes towards a free press and especially Al Jazzera, and they are exposing both the previous Mubarak regime's media handling and the present Junta.. not to mention the Brotherhoods.

Okay, you have not seen Al Jazzera then. In no way do they promote the continuance of the oil monopoly.. in fact they are doing the opposite. They just had a great documentary about the 7 sisters, exposing the role of big oil in world and middle east politics over the last 100 years. Plus the owners.. Qatar has no oil. It has on the other hand a buttload of gas.

So tell the truth? Look, lets make this clear.. both sides are at fault and Al Jazzera in English goes out of its way to show this. They do not side with the Palestinians exclusively, nor the Israelis. That is why both sides hate them. I see more Israeli's on Al Jazzera than CNN, Sky, and other stations almost combined. That American news outlets never show the Palestinian side of the story is their fault, and maybe it will shock Americans when they watch AL Jazzera America.. that they actually get both sides of the story.... of course the rabid pro-Israeli fanboys will call this anti-Israeli, just as they do with the BBC but hey.. screw them, they are 50% of the problem in the first place.

Holly crap.. your mind is made up... /clap Rumsfeld and his bogus attacks on the channel under Bush. Al J will have a hard time, no doubt about that, since most people already think they are a terrorist news channel and that is despite 99% of Americans never seeing a single minute of the channel. Pathetic.

What? Lies lol.. Bush era bull**** lies. Al Jazzera in English never did that, and it is debateable if the Arabic version did, since the only source we have for this, is the highly discredited Bush administration.. you know the guys who spied on everyone and put people in jail without a trial..

More lies. Seriously, since when is reporting the news with facts suddenly "telling enemies on how and where to kill Americans"? Did you say the same when GOP members release sensitive information to the public or when Valerie Palme was outed by a vindictive Bush administration?

Qatar has very limited oil.. it is gas they sell.

LOL. You're right, I don't watch Al Jazeera English but I did vivsit their website back when 9/11 was more recent. They did a cute animation cartoon feature that was updated I think daily that was done with no words so anyone of any language could understand it. They no longer offer than feature and I've since looked on youtube to see is any have been archived and its like they disappeared off the face of the earth. One this was clear however, it was decidedly anti-American. Caricatures of American military personnel and political leaders were always the bad guys. Arab caricatures were the heroes. It was obvious to me they had an agenda. Hey, guess what I just found? Not the videos but stills from some of them. This hopefully can give everyone an idea. https://www.google.com/search?q=alj...wDw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=756#imgdii=_

I also remember seeing US news analysts talking decoding the Osama Bin Laden videos Al Jazeera would air. If he was wearing military camouflage it meant one thing, AK47 on the left or with the barrel pointing up meant something else. If he was wearing clothing common of a certain region, it meant that's were the next attack order meant and US intelligence missed it. etc. etc.

Again, I don't know what Aljazeera America plans. All I'm saying is I'm highly suspicious and saying I'm taking a wait and see position.

"Arabic-sounding name? Must be terrists!!!"
- Millions of people who have never actually watched AJ.

I turned Aljazeera on for a minute this morning and learned something new. The rank of Private first class is an officer in the US Army.

Back
Top Bottom