• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Alito splits with Conservatives

scottyz

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
New Supreme Court Justice
Samuel Alito split with the court's conservatives Wednesday night, refusing to let Missouri execute a death-row inmate contesting lethal injection.

Alito, handling his first case, sided with inmate Michael Taylor, who had won a stay from an appeals court earlier in the evening. Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices
Antonin Scalia and
Clarence Thomas supported lifting the stay, but Alito joined the remaining five members in turning down Missouri's last-minute request to allow a midnight execution.

An appeals court will now review Taylor's claim that lethal injection is cruel and unusual punishment, a claim also used by two Florida death-row inmates that won stays from the Supreme Court over the past week. The court has agreed to use one of the cases to clarify how inmates may bring last-minute challenges to the way they will be put to death.

Alito replaced
Sandra Day O'Connor, who had often been the swing vote in capital punishment cases. He was expected to side with prosecutors more often than O'Connor, although as an appeals court judge, his record in death penalty cases was mixed.

Scalia and Thomas have consistently sided with states in death penalty cases and have been especially critical of long delays in carrying out executions.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060202/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_death_penalty

Sort of not what people were expecting from Alito.

Alito: another Sheep in wolves clothes?

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/02/01/D8FGN8509.html
Alito Opposes Mo. Execution
Feb 01 9:52 PM US/Eastern

By GINA HOLLAND
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

New Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito split with the court's conservative Wednesday night, refusing to let Missouri execute a death-row inmate contesting lethal injection. Alito, handling his first case, sided with inmate Michael Taylor, who had won a stay from an appeals court earlier in the evening. Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas supported lifting the stay, but Alito joined the remaining five members in turning down Missouri's last-minute request to allow a midnight execution.

not exactly what I was expecting of this fine man
:thumbdown :damn :2mad:

Re: Alito: another Sheep in wolves clothes?

Death penalty really doesn't solve much man.

Polish Rob said:
Death penalty really doesn't solve much man.

thats not what the case was about
thanks for playing though :2wave:

DeeJayH said:
not exactly what I was expecting of this fine man
:thumbdown :damn :2mad:
It merely shows that Alito has a mind of his own and is not owned by either the Liberals or Neocons. I already knew that Alito would support the Constitution when he was nominated, and is one of the reasons I supported him. You have to differentiate between the issues Alito pressed for when he was part of the Reagan administration, which was representing his client to the best of his ability, and what he is doing today, which is upholding his oath to interpret the Constitution of the United States. Alito has a great mind, and is a true Conservative judge, not an activist for the right or the left.

In an earlier thread, I gave Bush an B in nominating judges. The only bad mark was Harriet Miers. Other than her, I would give Bush an A+, and the decision by Alito today proves it. To those Democrats who wanted to filibuster him - Shame on you.

Afterthought - Damn, there are a million threads on this already. Time for MixedMedia to come to the forum and do his MixedMedia thing with all these threads. LOL.

Last edited:

danarhea said:
It merely shows that Alito has a mind of his own and is not owned by either the Liberals or Neocons. I already knew that Alito would support the Constitution when he was nominated...

The Conservatives are very disappointed.

I just e-mailed the White House the following:

Mr. President,

I am one of your most vocal critics. As a Conservative, I disagree with you on many issues, and last election I voted for the Libertarian candidate instead of you (you may happily note that I did not vote for Kerry either - LOL).

Like I said, I disagree with you strongly on many things, but there is one area in which I feel you stand out strongly, and that is your selection of Sam Alito for the US Supreme Court.

I just want to say that, although I will always be at odds over many of the decisions you make, and I will not support many of those decisions, I am more than happy to give you credit where credit is due. This selection is an A+ in my book.

For your 2 outstanding nominations to the Supreme Court, let me just say congratulations, Mr. President, on a job well done.

Not that it will ever be read, due to the volume of emails they get, but its the thought that counts. :)

[Moderator Mode]

Alito - More moderate than previously thought? thread & Alito: another Sheep in wolves clothes? thread merged into this one...same topic...

a) When starting a new thread, PLEASE see if there is already one discussing the issue at hand...

b) As per this instance, WTF!?!?!...Can't a guy go 48 hours on a new job without everyone forming generalized opinions based on one case?...Geez...get a life...

Anyone plan on starting a thread discussing how he voted on his second case?...third?...tenth?...457th?...:roll:

[/Moderator Mode]

cnredd said:
b) As per this instance, WTF!?!?!...Can't a guy go 48 hours on a new job without everyone forming generalized opinions based on one case?...Geez...get a life...

Exactly. I was surpised that he was even able to render an opiinion, then I heard that is was one of those execution hail mary passes to the USSC and then it made sense.

The only thing that can be determined from this "ruling" is that Alito had more information on the case than we do.

Also, who says that Scalia/Thomas/Roberts are always right?

Why don't you people wait until a real case is ruled on before frothing?

Gibberish said:
The Conservatives are very disappointed.
Not this conservative. I fully expected Alito to act fairly on rulings and not by the partisanship that dems predicted. He ruled without thought of party and instead with precedent and law.

danarhea said:
It merely shows that Alito has a mind of his own and is not owned by either the Liberals or Neocons. I already knew that Alito would support the Constitution when he was nominated, and is one of the reasons I supported him. You have to differentiate between the issues Alito pressed for when he was part of the Reagan administration, which was representing his client to the best of his ability, and what he is doing today, which is upholding his oath to interpret the Constitution of the United States. Alito has a great mind, and is a true Conservative judge, not an activist for the right or the left.

In an earlier thread, I gave Bush an B in nominating judges. The only bad mark was Harriet Miers. Other than her, I would give Bush an A+, and the decision by Alito today proves it. To those Democrats who wanted to filibuster him - Shame on you.

Afterthought - Damn, there are a million threads on this already. Time for MixedMedia to come to the forum and do his MixedMedia thing with all these threads. LOL.

I agree with you danarhea. I have supported Alito's nomination from day one. Roberts, too, for that matter. If you ignore the hype and instead focus on their decisions there is very little to find that justifies the alarm felt by many liberals and democrats about their nominations. Just goes to support my growing theory that there is not a liberal bias in the media, but rather a bias towards keeping everyone hopped up and tuned in.

And, btw, I am a she. And merging threads is not my "thing." I just follow the directions on the drop down menu thingy. ;)

I hope Kennedy chokes on the olive in his martinee when he reads this!:rofl

When will these senators understand the difference between these honorable judges, and themselves? It seems the Republicans could do this, but Dem's want to smear them, and paint them as this and that, knowing full well how differently these men and women have acted once confirmed. This is a wake up call, and these cruel, unjustifiable accusations can not continue, or we will lose these good civil servants!

mixedmedia said:
I agree with you danarhea. I have supported Alito's nomination from day one. Roberts, too, for that matter. If you ignore the hype and instead focus on their decisions there is very little to find that justifies the alarm felt by many liberals and democrats about their nominations. Just goes to support my growing theory that there is not a liberal bias in the media, but rather a bias towards keeping everyone hopped up and tuned in.

And, btw, I am a she. And merging threads is not my "thing." I just follow the directions on the drop down menu thingy. ;)
I did a thread in the Media forum on that, and I agree with you entirely. There is a true conflict of interest in the area of corporate news because a corporation, as an artificial person, is required by law to look out only for the monetary interests of its stockholders. This means that they MUST hype so that they attract more listeners and readers, which in turn drives up their ratings, and ultimately the prices which they can charge for advertising, thus fulfilling their true agenda - The profit motive. Real news and investigative reporting therefore suffers. That is why a good name for them is mediawhores. I no longer watch network or cable news for that very reason. They are not right or left biased. They are merely doing what the law requires artificial people to do.

Last edited:
The entire Alito split ado aside, Taylor will still be executed. His crime happened in my hometown and the young girl he killed was a student of mine. This extension is not going to prevent his eventual execution. Personally, I don;t think he should be put to death. That's the easy way out. If I had my way, he'd rot in jail and think about what he did for the rest of his days.

KCConservative said:
The entire Alito split ado aside, Taylor will still be executed. His crime happened in my hometown and the young girl he killed was a student of mine. This extension is not going to prevent his eventual execution. Personally, I don;t think he should be put to death. That's the easy way out. If I had my way, he'd rot in jail and think about what he did for the rest of his days.

A good argument against the death penalty.

danarhea said:
A good argument against the death penalty.
Yes, I have always been anti-death penalty...for that very reason.

"I'm going to have to go with 'It's his first full day on the job, he was probably picking out his office furniture when this case came up, and he doesn't know anything about the case, so he voted to let the lower court ruling stand for now, because it knows a lot more about the case than he does.'"

That's right about what I think the scenario is. This case didn't mean much, if just refused to overturn a stay, the guy's still getting executed tomorrow.

But that being said, its nice to have some defense against angry lefties.

Back
Top Bottom