• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Algeria, Lebanon, Iraq, all part of Jihadist Campaign

bhkad

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The left wing press is full of stories alleging undercover agents and "Agents Provocateur" who infiltrate their meetings and organizations to collect information and sew unrest. But the Left Wingers seem oblivious to the real enemies in their midsts.

Here's a story about the assassination of a Lebanese Army General who was responsible for killing Jihadists in an under-reported campaign in the War on Terror in Lebanon. But his assassination is but one of more than a dozen over the last two years or so. These assassinations have taken place at the highest levels of the Lebanese government. It is assumed that the killers are connected to the Iranians. Walid Phares is quoted in this story as blaming,

“The Axis -- as referred to by the experts in Lebanon -- includes Syrian intelligence, Pasdaran (Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps), Hezbollah, and the other combined Jihadist movements.”

And without a U.S. involvement there maybe we can all see the same patterns going on there as are happening in Iraq -- killings and assassinations designed to eliminate moderates and intimidate everyone who might oppose Iran's efforts to create, first, a regional Caliphate and then a global Caliphate. The effort to create a moderate Iraqi government is being hampered and obstructed because Iran believes there should be NO OTHER law except strict Shariah Law. And as long as they can secretly get people in positions where they can sabotage or provide information or do reconnaissance or smuggle a bomb or plant a bomb or detonate a bomb or pull a trigger, they can slow down or stop the process of moderate government and discourage those who might want a moderate government in place.

And this same pattern that exists in Iraq and in Lebanon is also going on here in the United States.

Yes.

Right now there are people who intentionally sew unrest and discord in America and who like seeing us at each others throats. They are careful not to do anything in person that can't be blamed on ostensibly loyal and undeniably US, citizens.

Just get a good mental imprint of the PATTERN of disruption going on in Lebanon. And remember, Lebanon isn't meddling in any other country's affairs. Algeria, which has suffered a spate of al Qaeda bombings recently, is not meddling in any other nation's affairs. These attacks and disruptions are all part of a Global Jihadist Campaign.

They Killed General Hajj
By W. Thomas Smith, Jr
Friday, December 14, 2007

It’s one thing to be embroiled in the recent media circus surrounding my reporting from Lebanon; it’s quite another to learn that in the midst of that circus – though having nothing to do with it – one of my strongest sources while I was in Lebanon, Gen. Francois Hajj, was assassinated Wednesday.

Hajj, 55, a Maronite Catholic and the director of operations for the Lebanese Army, was killed in a car-bomb attack, on the route between his home and his office at the Ministry of Defense in Beirut. It’s been reported that he “was considered a leading candidate to succeed the head of the military, Gen. Michel Suleiman [Sleiman], if Suleiman is elected president.”

Who killed Hajj? Who knows.

Some newspapers are reporting the possibility that the assassination was the work of an offshoot cell of the al-Qaeda affiliated Fatah al Islam militant group, which was wiped out almost to a man in the Battle of Nahr al-Bared.

“Another possibility,” according to the UK’s Times Online, “would be pro-Syrian militants within Lebanon, who are believed to have been behind the killings of a number of anti-Syrian politicians in the past two years.”

Hours after the Hajj killing, I asked Middle East terrorism/counterterrorism expert, Dr. Walid Phares:

“From what I understand, there were a few motivations behind his assassination:

“First, as chief of operations for the army, it was believed that killing him would demoralize the army, and hence pro-Iranian and pro-Syrian militias would be sending a message to the Lebanese army saying, ‘You can’t get close to us.’

“Second, he was considered to be the next commander of the Lebanese army.

“Third, the plan, which ultimately defeated Fatah al Islam, was engineered by Hajj.”

So who killed him?

“The Axis,” Phares tells me. “The Axis -- as referred to by the experts in Lebanon -- includes Syrian intelligence, Pasdaran (Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps), Hezbollah, and the other combined Jihadist movements.”

During my time in Lebanon – September and October of this year – Hajj was one of my strongest sources. And despite my railing against the often under-reported threat of Hezbollah activities in Lebanon – as well as what I perceived to be problems within the military -- Hajj pulled some serious strings enabling me to gain greater access to elements within the defense structure from which I had been previously barred.

Granted, I had already met one-on-one with Lebanese commander-in-chief Gen. Michel Sleiman before formally being introduced to Hajj, but I did speak with Hajj over the phone, and I was made aware through very reliable sources (men who had a personal relationship with Hajj) within the Cedars Revolution movement that Hajj was reversing decisions and making things happen for me, when other generals were saying, “No. Smith has had all the access he is going to get.”

On October 4, I met with Hajj at his office at the Ministry of Defense in Beirut.

I wrote at National Review Online:

“As I entered his office — his desk covered with several huge maps of Lebanon, a couple of cell phones, and a single pack of Marlboros – Gen. Hajj was discussing something (unintelligible to me because it was in Arabic) with another general. The other general and I shook hands, he left the office, and Hajj ordered coffee for the two of us. We discussed everything from current security operations in Lebanon to the recent fighting at Nahr al-Bared. He then showed me an exclusive video tape – not seen by outsiders [he told me] – of the fighting at Bared, including some truly grisly images of killed Fatah al-Islam fighters.”

Before leaving his office, Hajj invited me to attend the burial that afternoon of more than 100 Fatah al-Islam fighters who had been killed at Nahr al Bared.*

I declined the invitation because I had a meeting that same afternoon with Maj. General Achraf Rifi, the commanding general of Lebanon's Interior Security Forces (the national police).

At any rate, the assassination of Hajj (the latest in a string of political assassinations in Lebanon) simply plays -- as another terrible variable -- into the craziness of what is going on and who’s in bed with whom in Lebanon. There is also the inability of Lebanon to elect a president; the existence of the virtual state of Hezbollah (the “kingdom of Hezbollah” as some Lebanese have told me) within the so-called sovereign state of Lebanon; the manipulation of the media (both nationally and internationally) in that country; and the unchecked money, weapons, and influence of Iran and Syria.

From what I knew of Gen. Hajj – and admittedly that knowledge is limited to what I learned while there -- he was a good man. He was a “strong man,” as others have said. He was a man who wanted freedom and democracy in Lebanon. He wanted the truth told about what is actually happening in Lebanon, and what was and is too often not reported, or what is manipulated by the Axis-influenced media.

And now they have killed him.

W. Thomas Smith Jr. is a former U.S. Marine infantry leader, parachutist, and shipboard counterterrorism instructor and co-author of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Pirates.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/WThomasSmithJr/2007/12/14/they_killed_general_hajj

*Nahr al-Bared
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nahr al-Bared (Arabic: نهر البارد, literally: Cold River) is a Palestinian refugee camp in northern Lebanon, 16 km from the city of Tripoli. Some 30,000 displaced Palestinians and their descendents live in and around the camp, which was named after the river that runs south of the camp. The Lebanese Army is banned from entering all Palestinian camps under the 1969 Cairo Agreement.

[...]

2007 conflict

Late in the night of Saturday 19th May 2007, a building was surrounded by Lebanese Internal Security Forces (ISF) in which a group of Fatah al-Islam militants accused of taking part in a bank robbery earlier that day were hiding. The ISF attacked the building early on Sunday 20th May 2007, unleashing a day long battle between the ISF and Fatah al-Islam militants on 200 Street, Tripoli. As a response, members of Fatah al-Islam in Nahr al-Bared Camp (16 km from Tripoli) attacked an army checkpoint, killing several soldiers in their sleep. The army immediately responded by shelling the camp.

Since then, the camp has been at the centre of the fighting between the Lebanese Army and Fatah al-Islam. It has sustained heavy shelling while under siege. Most of the inhabitants fled to the nearby Beddawi Palestinian refugee camp or further south to Tripoli, Beirut and Saida. The last civilians (25 women and 38 children, the families of Fatah al-Islam members) were evacuated from the camp on Friday 24th August.

The conflict between the Lebanese Army and Fatah al-Islam ended on Sunday 2nd September with the Lebanese Army taking full control of the camp after eliminating the remaining terrorist pockets [1].

Nahr al-Bared - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And without a U.S. involvement there maybe we can all see the same patterns going on there as are happening in Iraq -- killings and assassinations designed to eliminate moderates and intimidate everyone who might oppose Iran's efforts to create, first, a regional Caliphate and then a global Caliphate.

With US involvement, there are killings and assassinations going on in Iraq every day. If Saddam were still in charge of Iraq, the Jihadists would be hung by street lights by now.

The effort to create a moderate Iraqi government is being hampered and obstructed because Iran believes there should be NO OTHER law except strict Shariah Law. And as long as they can secretly get people in positions where they can sabotage or provide information or do reconnaissance or smuggle a bomb or plant a bomb or detonate a bomb or pull a trigger, they can slow down or stop the process of moderate government and discourage those who might want a moderate government in place.

How is that different than the conservative Christian belief that the Bible should rule Iraq?

Right now there are people who intentionally sew unrest and discord in America and who like seeing us at each others throats. They are careful not to do anything in person that can't be blamed on ostensibly loyal and undeniably US, citizens.

The only unrest and discord going on in America is that people are losing their homes. I chalk that up to greed more than some shadow jihadist group.

With US involvement, there are killings and assassinations going on in Iraq every day. If Saddam were still in charge of Iraq, the Jihadists would be hung by street lights by now.

How is that different than the conservative Christian belief that the Bible should rule Iraq?

The only unrest and discord going on in America is that people are losing their homes. I chalk that up to greed more than some shadow jihadist group.

The only violent terrorist attacks in the US are being carried out by mentally ill Christian teenagers enabled by the NRA. Other destruction is being inflicted by Corporate class jihadis led by Bush and the NeoCons. This war against America is fought by robbing the People's Treasury and sending it to war profiteers while we die in the collapsing infrastructure of neglected bridges, roads, food safety, health carelessness and the poverty draft.

lib_programs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom