• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Oh how I long to be an evil rich man.
All day long I'd Biddy-Biddy-Bum, if I were a wealthy man!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Totally fair except two points. SBA is always going to show numbers that best support the starting of small businesses. That's their job and they are a wonderful program.

Secondly, that stat is like so many others. The 80% is ALL over the place. It scares so many people away from starting businesses. It's treated as dogma. Before going into business, I did extensive research and mostly came back to that stat. Also, before I got wise to the idiocy of it, I actually started as a franchise business. That number was repeated ad nauseam. The fear of it is more powerful than the reality.
actually that sba data understates the survival rate of small businesses
some - many actually - businesses go out of business ... because they were absorbed by another
those non-existent businesses were successes, as proven by the desire for other concerns to acquire them

while i admire your persistence and entrepreneurship, your business plan appears to be very deficient if all of your laborers are regularly taking home more than you. the glaring observation is that you are exposing yourself and your family to all of the business risk while reaping a lesser compensation than were you to be an employee

there is no reason for you to be twice taxed like a C corporation when subchapter S and especially LLC forms of establishment exist. i would encourage you to contact the SCORE chapter in raleigh and the SBTDC at your nearest state university to see if they can help you find a way to achieve greater profitability

regarding the availability of universal healthcare, once available, as with other industrialized nations, you will be able to attract a better quality of employee talent. being unable to offer a health plan comparable to the larger competitors places you at a distinct disadvantage relative to hiring the more desirable employees from the available labor pool

I know you mean to make a point and mean no offense, but you are woefully underinformed on my personal situation. I ran my entire business plan (which has largely been accurately executed) by 5 different retired CEOs at SCORE (as I have said, the SBA is a wonderful program). They unanimously approved it. I educated myself heavily on business in general and the particular type of business I have before spending a penny. I chose to engage myself in a franchise, which provides oversight and assistance to make sure the risk was as low as possible.

Year after year, I beat projections by 5-20%. I file as an S-Corp, but it is not freedom from double taxation. It simply separates the filing a bit more and only slightly lessens the tax burden. The lawyers I consulted recommended I avoid an LLC due to the fact that my business has a high physical risk factor and the limited-liability shield is not heavily tested in my state. Hell, my insurance hits the state cap after 7 years in business every single time regardless of the fact that we have never filed anything more serious than an eye flush.

I have watched my competitors go out of business at about a 4 to 1 ratio. In that same time, I have given raises to the guys who get nothing but hard breaks everywhere else in their life.

You misunderstand my point. I said they SOMETIMES take home more than I do. That's because they work hard and my payouts get delayed and taxed and then we get into operating expenses.

I offer better healthcare than most of my competitors. And because we pay it directly and not through a government that can't even educate, provide for veterens, and a thousand other failures, we get the privilege of living in the country with 17 of the 20 best hospitals in the world. We get service on demand at a low out-of-pocket from the best doctors in the world who got their free education elsewhere and came running here to make a real living. We live in the country providing almost all the great medical advances because it benefits them here to do R&D and provide the best treatment.

Those countries pay a fortune in taxes, rely on us for their military protection and get their advances from us. We throw out that system for something this government run by people like Trump because of an idiotic electoral college that is 100 years out of date and not going anywhere and we will see the whole of medicine on a huge decline.

They can do it because of us, not better than us.

Addition: I fully support a better supplemental healthcare program. I'm Smith libertarian. I just think we lose out on way too much if we hand it all over.

actually that sba data understates the survival rate of small businesses
some - many actually - businesses go out of business ... because they were absorbed by another
those non-existent businesses were successes, as proven by the desire for other concerns to acquire them

Got another thread going with you and I don't feel strongly enough about this subject to keep going on it. There are arguments to be made on both sides, but the main one is the fear it causes. If you don't agree with that, I will never convince you.

How many people decide not to be self-employed because of healthcare? If there was universal healthcare, more people will start a business and employ more people to raise wages with a lower employment.

Yeah, higher wages to cover the 85% tax burden government run healthcare brings. No thank you!

Yeah, higher wages to cover the 85% tax burden government run healthcare brings. No thank you!

please show us the data which shows universal healthcare would result in an 85% tax rate

I think everyone should get what Congress gets. The whole world should all get it. After all healthcare is so valuable that it's a sin to charge anyone for it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Congress gets the same health care plan as all Federal Employees get.

The problem with AOC is that she wasn’t employed by an employer that offered healthcare.

The ACA was created to make it easier for people like bartenders to get insurance. However, out of necessity, it made insurance for young healthy people more expensive so it could allow people with pre existing conditions to get insured at reasonable rates.

A universal pool- Health care for all- would allow stable rates lifelong for everyone.

The problem with AOC is that she wasn’t employed by an employer that offered healthcare.

The ACA was created to make it easier for people like bartenders to get insurance. However, out of necessity, it made insurance for young healthy people more expensive so it could allow people with pre existing conditions to get insured at reasonable rates.

A universal pool- Health care for all- would allow stable rates lifelong for everyone.

I'm totally in the minority and not even trying to shoot down your whole argument. However, the ACA totally screwed me. I was paying less for what I gave employees and it also gave me reasonable-cost, no-turndown healthcare even after all 4 of my heart attacks.

I'm totally in the minority and not even trying to shoot down your whole argument. However, the ACA totally screwed me. I was paying less for what I gave employees and it also gave me reasonable-cost, no-turndown healthcare even after all 4 of my heart attacks.

Sounds like it didn’t screw you.

Then you didn't read it right. I pay twice as much for my insurance now. Pre-existing condition included.

But your plan is an employer plan, no?

General inflation tells us that eight years after the ACA was passed, double is what you’d pay.

But your plan is an employer plan, no?

General inflation tells us that eight years after the ACA was passed, double is what you’d pay.

Well, I actually used bad tenses. It doubled in a month. Now it's worse. This isnt worth getting into, though. I represent less than 1% of people affected by ACA

I think it's what your advocating is immoral. I know you see it as the opposite. You see it as some great act of compassion and I respectfully disagree. If you see someone drowning in the pool you do not jump in and let them drown you too. You offer them a pole or a life ring. Universal health care is the same as jumping into the pool.

Love how AOC inadvertently highlights how expensive Obamacare made health insurance. Now that she's got the Cadillac of insurance plans, I'm sure she's got no intention of giving it up.

AOC is from New York, where implementation of the ACA cut premiums in half overnight. What she's flagging isn't about premiums, because virtually no one in this country pays their full premium. Presumably what she's pointing out is that employer contributions for ESI are usually more generous than the premium tax credit people buying on their own in the marketplace can get. We could certainly help to change that by making the tax credits more generous.

Technically they don't, they buy through the DC exchange now, unlike all other federal employees. But they still get the same employer contribution, up to 75% of the premium.

Last edited:
The answer to the issue of healthcare in America is simple, creating an effective healthcare system that works everywhere it's done is just daft.

If the poor would just stop being so poor, then it wouldn't be a problem.

Well, we are the only nation I know of that imports poor people.

We do it so you get better quality personnel in service jobs, and unskilled labor. This serves to keep the American riff-raff on the couch. In a perfect world the green cards would take their social security and vamoose back to Mexico and retire there rather than use our medical system.

How refreshing is this?

It's about time someone drew attention to this crap. You go, Girl!

LOL. Yeah, you're a "centrist". You can't get any further left than Cortez.

If poor people want healthcare, they just shouldn't be poor.

It's that simple.

Poor people got free healthcare before Obamacare. Poor people got free healthcare due to Obamacare. What in the hell are you guys talking about? Are you saying Obamacare is a total failure?

She's a dingbat and a joy to listen to.

How refreshing is this?

Well, we are the only nation I know of that imports poor people.

We do it so you get better quality personnel in service jobs, and unskilled labor. This serves to keep the American riff-raff on the couch. In a perfect world the green cards would take their social security and vamoose back to Mexico and retire there rather than use our medical system.
foolish propaganda unsupported by any fracts

in contrast look at the UN data showing refugee population by country, recognizing that many of the refugees are poor because they could emigrate via normal means if they had normal means
https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SM.POP.REFG

look at the UN data for turkey, as one extreme example

The answer to the issue of healthcare in America is simple, creating an effective healthcare system that works everywhere it's done is just daft.

If the poor would just stop being so poor, then it wouldn't be a problem.

America must NEVER learn from others, that's not MAGA, even if others do things far better, we must NEVER learn!

How refreshing is this?

I don't see her turning down her new plan for a plan that she pays for out of her pocket on the open market.

I think everyone should get what Congress gets. The whole world should all get it. After all healthcare is so valuable that it's a sin to charge anyone for it.

I think Walter Williams suggested an amendment that says no law shall be enacted that exempts congress from its dictates.

Back
Top Bottom