• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says she can’t afford apartment in DC until she receives congressional sala

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says she can’t afford apartment in DC until she receives congressional salary

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/al...n-d-c-until-she-receives-congressional-salary

Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez, who became the youngest woman elected to Congress Tuesday, said she cannot afford to rent an apartment in Washington, D.C., until her congressional salary kicks in.Ocasio-Cortez, 29, made national headlines after she defeated 10-term Rep. Joe Crowley in New York's June primary, and will now represent the state’s 14th Congressional District. She told The New York Times that the transition period from now until she starts her job “will be very unusual, because I can’t really take a salary.”
“I have three months without a salary before I’m a member of Congress. So, how do I get an apartment? Those little things are very real,” Ocasio-Cortez told The New York Times.

​Seems to me there has got to be some sort of expense account that would cover this stuff during a transition.

It's likely true, it's expensive there. I don't know if they actually have expense reports for things like that or if politicians are supposed to be responsible for their own housing arrangements. Since our politicians tend to be independently wealthy, it's usually not a problem.

They get a good enough salary. And most of us mortals cover the expenses of moving. Personally I have always understood and agreed to the terms when I accepted the offer. It’s called personal responsibility.

They get a good enough salary. And most of us mortals cover the expenses of moving. Personally I have always understood and agreed to the terms when I accepted the offer. It’s called personal responsibility.

Most of us don't have jobs set up three months in advance.

Most of us don't have jobs set up three months in advance.

And didn't have to quit our current job for 6+ months to campaign to get our next job.

She could always rent a room from a wealthy business person whose company could be directly impacted by decisions she makes.

I am sure none of us would see anything wrong with that right

Seeing as how the average net worth of house reps is 8 million, I'm sure one of her esteemed rich colleagues will offer her a couch to sleep on in their posh condo.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says she can’t afford apartment in DC until she receives congressional salary

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/al...n-d-c-until-she-receives-congressional-salary

​Seems to me there has got to be some sort of expense account that would cover this stuff during a transition.
I am sympathetic to her plight. On the other hand, I am delighted that we have a representative that is going through what most Americans are going through -- instead of another millionaire in Congress that is disconnected from the middle class.

she was elected to be a problem solver
so, solve this problem
a freshly minted medical doctor can always walk into a bank and get a loan based only on their credentials
cannot imagine any bank being unwilling to extend credit to her as a future recipient of a congressman's salary
if she finds this to be a major stumbling block, then her constituents elected the wrong representative
i hope not

Seeing as how the average net worth of house reps is 8 million, I'm sure one of her esteemed rich colleagues will offer her a couch to sleep on in their posh condo.

Maybe she could bunk with Barry and Michelle. They have a really big house close in, and don't seem to be around much.

Based on the article she stated she's working it out so I'm sure she'll find a way.

She could always rent a room from a wealthy business person whose company could be directly impacted by decisions she makes.

I am sure none of us would see anything wrong with that right

I know of a vacancy @ $50 per diem.................

please, NOT with a 'go fund me' page

Hey, "go fund me" is all about people willing to help other people. If someone feels inclined to ask for money and people choose to help, why not? Maybe that luxury car you always wanted could be funded by people who want you to realize that dream...

;)

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says she can’t afford apartment in DC until she receives congressional

It seems her last job was in a restaurant, though I don't know in what capacity; however, that's somewhat irrelevant for some 50 or so members of Congress opt to make their office their home. Such members need not bother with much other than outfitting their office with something that passes as a bed.

I suppose that's not surprising as rents within walking distance of the US Capitol and the House and Senate office buildings are quite pricey. If, on the other hand, they are willing to commute to work, perhaps via the subway, or as Joe Biden often did, by Amtrak, there are plenty of reasonable places they can dwell.

In any case, Ms. Ocasio-Cortez is, in a manner of speaking, discovering what was self-evident to many members of Congress from 1789 to the 1850s or so: to be a member of Congress is to serve the country and as such, one is well advised to do so for a time and get the hell back to one's home state/district and resume one's professional life. Of course, in those days, the only people who could get elected were also business owners, which, as any careful study of US history knows, is for whom the US was created; thus it's no surprise that's the social cohort from which our earliest legislators were drawn.

It's astounding to me even now that prime-earning-age folks come to Washington from decent-to-lucrative jobs ($300K+/year) to take a modest salary -- $175K, which in DC and having to use it to support a family back home, ain't much at all -- and then incessantly, until one is voted out, enters one's dotage, or dies, run for reelection...I damn sure wouldn't do it unless I hailed from a place within daily-commuting range.

It seems her last job was in a restaurant, though I don't know in what capacity; however, that's somewhat irrelevant for some 50 or so members of Congress opt to make their office their home. Such members need not bother with much other than outfitting their office with something that passes as a bed.

I suppose that's not surprising as rents within walking distance of the US Capitol and the House and Senate office buildings are quite pricey. If, on the other hand, they are willing to commute to work, perhaps via the subway, or as Joe Biden often did, by Amtrak, there are plenty of reasonable places they can dwell.

In any case, Ms. Ocasio-Cortez is, in a manner of speaking, discovering what was self-evident to many members of Congress from 1789 to the 1850s or so: to be a member of Congress is to serve the country and as such, one is well advised to do so for a time and get the hell back to one's home state/district and resume one's professional life. Of course, in those days, the only people who could get elected were also business owners, which, as any careful study of US history knows, is for whom the US was created; thus it's no surprise that's the social cohort from which our earliest legislators were drawn.

It's astounding to me even now that prime-earning-age folks come to Washington from decent-to-lucrative jobs ($300K+/year) to take a modest salary -- $175K, which in DC and having to use it to support a family back home, ain't much at all -- and then incessantly, until one is voted out, enters one's dotage, or dies, run for reelection...I damn sure wouldn't do it unless I hailed from a place within daily-commuting range.

She was a waitress. Don't hold your breath about her returning to that. Her plan is to stay in DC forever.

Maybe she could bunk with Barry and Michelle. They have a really big house close in, and don't seem to be around much.

They should just let every Rep stay in their house, put in some cameras so we can watch it all, and call it.......... "The House of Representatives".

Most new members of the house rent beds in low rent apartments with other members who can't handle the expense, and some after years in office. Washington rents are high in the desirable areas. The not so humble princess needs to make some acquaintances and learn money management for herself.

Chuck Schumer is still renting a bed, despite the fact he can afford more. He's not concerned with entertaining when in DC, just sleep, a shower, a chair to read in, breakfast at a table and a place to keep clean clothes. He's a senior senator. Not my favorite, but respected for his personal frugality.

Has she never heard of a bank or credit card? She can sign up for a new credit card and get 0% interest for a year and pay it off when she receives her check, or take a personal loan. If she can't even solve something as simple as that God help us that she is voting on actual issues.

Back
Top Bottom