• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

ALEC's Stand Yur ground law lets whites kill blacks and walk [W:823]

haymarket

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Prove positive that the ALEC inspired Stand you ground laws help whites who kill blacks get off free.

The One Graph That Proves Stand Your Ground Laws Help Jurors Let White Defendants Go Free

In states with Stand Your Ground laws, 13.6% of homicides were ruled justifiable; in non-Stand Your Ground states, only 7.2% were deemed as such. This is strong evidence that rulings of justifiable homicide are more likely under Stand Your Ground.

But which homicides?

Ones similar to the killing of Trayvon Martin, which resulted in a trial decided in favor of his killer, George Zimmerman, last week. A finding of “justifiable homicide” is much more common in the case of a white-on-black killing than it is in any other sort of murder involving a black person. At PBS’ request, Roman compared the likelihood of a favorable finding for the defendant in Stand Your Ground and non-Stand Your Ground cases, and considered the races of the people involved.

The data is clear: Stand Your Ground increases the likelihood of a not-guilty finding, but only when a white person is accused of killing a black person.

These are facts folks based on hard statistics.

The nationwide rape of the country from ALEC continues and few have even heard of the organization. And that is the way they want it.

Horse ****. SYG applies to anyone, and that higher rate of homicides ruled justifiable probably NEEDED to be ruled justified.

the real moral of the story? Don't be a ****ing thug and you won't get your ass shot off.

Prove positive that the ALEC inspired Stand you ground laws help whites who kill blacks get off free.

The One Graph That Proves Stand Your Ground Laws Help Jurors Let White Defendants Go Free

The data is clear: Stand Your Ground increases the likelihood of a not-guilty finding, but only when a white person is accused of killing a black person.

The nationwide rape of the country from ALEC continues and few have even heard of the organization. And that is the way they want it.

You might want to consider that blacks commit a rate of violent crime disproportionate to their percentage of the population. Considering our social circles are reflective of our races generally still, then one might infer reasonably that stand your ground successful defenses are more likely to be black on white stranger situations.

Now, if you wanted to address what causes blacks to commit violent crimes disproportionate to their population like the legacy of segregation/racism; poverty; substance abuse issues, then feel free. If you, however, just want to try to fan the flames that blacks are always victims of the Big White Man to satisfy that part of your brain where PC trumps reason, then there is no point discussing it.

I'm sure you feel much safer when thugs invade your neighbors homes, or are beaten senseless for their wallets or what they are carrying in bags or purses. What you need is more race hustlers to boost the anti-gun laws so gangstas cab reign.

Horse ****. SYG applies to anyone, and that higher rate of homicides ruled justifiable probably NEEDED to be ruled justified.

the real moral of the story? Don't be a ****ing thug and you won't get your ass shot off.

Trayvon Martin was not a thug.

So you believe that a person should have a duty to retreat when unlawfully attacked? A duty to give ground to an assailant rather than defend herself from attack?

Yeah, well, I'm not buyin' what you're sellin'.

The purpose of SYG laws is to hold harmless those people who are found not guilty by reason of self defense. Self defense laws did not change. You must still use proportionate force. It's just that some snivelling civil attorney can't claim, "He could've run and locked himself in the bathroom!!"

I agree with you. We don't have enough information to come to that conclusion, in my opinion. I was in just as much (or more) trouble in high school as he was.

Available evidence indicates otherwise.

Do I really need to enumerate it?

Suspensions, fighting, drug use... and then attacking a man, getting on top of him and slamming his head into the pavement.

Close enough.

The purpose of SYG laws is to hold harmless those people who are found not guilty by reason of self defense. Self defense laws did not change. You must still use proportionate force. It's just that some snivelling civil attorney can't claim, "He could've run and locked himself in the bathroom!!"
You think it's better to kill somebody than to lock yourself in the bathroom and avoid having to kill somebody??

That's pretty messed up.

It doesn't sound ugly. It's the entire purpose of SYG statutes. If you were edumicated, you'd know that.

I'm content with my ignorance then. If a person has a choice between killing and retreat to avoid killing, there is really only one option.

I'm content with my ignorance then. If a person has a choice between killing and retreat to avoid killing, there is really only one option.

And who decides if he has a choice? Therein lies the rub.

"George Zimmerman was bigger and stronger, damn it!! He should have been able to "shrimp away" from underneath Trayvon Martin!! Now! Give me $2 million in my civil suit."

It occurs to me that some/most people are on this board to learn -- and teach. Why are you here?

You think it's better to kill somebody than to lock yourself in the bathroom and avoid having to kill somebody??

That's pretty messed up.

I'm not eager to kill anyone, far from it... but just to present the other side of the coin:

If more people shot violent thugs instead of running from them.... we'd eventually have fewer violent thugs.

Sounds like a Win For Society....

Available evidence indicates otherwise.

Suspensions, fighting, drug use... and then attacking a man, getting on top of him and slamming his head into the pavement.

Close enough.

Wow... weed and suspensions from school. Whoop te ****ing do. If that's what you call a thug, I can only imagine what you think of Zimmerman and his rap sheet. But I digress. On that night, Martin was guilty of buying some Skittles and Iced tea. If it was your son, you'd be singing a different tune.

And who decides if he has a choice? Therein lies the rub.

No, it's not difficult at all to tell if there was a choice.

It occurs to me that some/most people are on this board to learn -- and teach. Why are you here?

I'm only here to teach.

You might want to consider that blacks commit a rate of violent crime disproportionate to their percentage of the population.

And that is evidence that young black males are thereby automatically suspicious simply because of others in their demographic group? :shock:

I cannot help but notice that you had nothing at all to say about the statistics and the dramatic difference in the story they tell.

I'm not eager to kill anyone, far from it... but just to present the other side of the coin:

If more people shot violent thugs instead of running from them.... we'd eventually have fewer violent thugs.

Sounds like a Win For Society....

That reminds me of the argument that abortions are good for society because they cut down on poor babies who grow up to be criminals.

Wow... weed and suspensions from school. Whoop te ****ing do. If that's what you call a thug, I can only imagine what you think of Zimmerman and his rap sheet. But I digress. On that night, Martin was guilty of buying some Skittles and Iced tea. If it was your son, you'd be singing a different tune.

Yes'm, I probably would. But so far my son, who is also 17, has better sense than to seek confrontations with strangers in the middle of the night, and attack same without sufficient legal provocation.

That reminds me of the argument that abortions are good for society because they cut down on poor babies who grow up to be criminals.

Babies =/= violent thugs

Really!?!?!?!? And were it not for a 2005 ALEC inspired law in Florida the jury instructions would have been radically different.

A more pertinent question is are you able to ? And then tell us what of your evidence Zimmerman was aware of that night when he called Martin in to the police as suspicious.

Back
Top Bottom