• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Albums that changed your life, for the better of course

Peter King

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I was listening tonight to some music and I started thinking which albums changed my life forever. I guess the first album that had an epic effect on my life was (before that I used to buy singles as I was and still am not really al album kind of person in general):

This was it

550x550.jpg

It was my first real exposure to rock. Before I got to hear queen/Ozzy/Black Sabbath/Metallica/etc. etc. etc. this was it for me, it started my love for the gospel that is hard rock/metal.

It was 1979 and I was 11 and it was epic for how I felt about music. I must have played this record until it was almost unplayable LOL.

I was made for loving you, 2000 man (a Stones cover), Sure know something, dirty livin', charisma, magic touch, hard times, x-ray eyes and save your love. I could sing the songs line for line. Even to this day I love this album, it takes me back to the year my mother and father divorced and I was finding solace and joy out of this album.

The song from this album I am going to share is one not often posted/listened too I assume

The next epic album dropped 2 years later, I was really into the hard rock light scene with Kiss but then happened to come onto my path the album that opened up a whole new universe to me

51lbQNy0f-L.jpg

A universe that brought me Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath. To this day 40 years later still hugely important for me as a person and if I ever die there will be an Ozzy song on the list of songs at my cremation, screw the people who come but I wants me Ozzy/Black Sabbath.

The Album started with the great I don't know, streamed into the EPIC Crazy Train (the first Ozzy video I ever saw on MTV), Goodbye to Romance, Dee, Suicide solution (a song that got Ozzy sued even though it is not a suicide song but a song about someone, Ozzy, drinking himself to death), Mr. Crowley, No Bone Movies, Revelation Mother Earth and Steal Away the Night.

The beautiful drums, bass and especially lead guitar, the late and historic Randy Rhoads. As said it opened me up to Ozzy and Black Sabbath and for that I am grateful. I am going to play you the wonderful Revelation Mother Earth. Not often heard but one of the best songs on that Album.

Then came 1985, my first live album I ever bought and the first music VHS tape I ever bought. For people from that time and from that music genre it is a doddle to guess what album I am talking about

R-2504110-1287611959.jpeg.jpg

The first double album I bought was this album, 2 albums with great songs from their first few Albums. The songs are too numerous to really write down but to name a few, Iron Maiden (their anthem), Hallowed be thy name, rhyme of the ancient mariner, the number of the beast, run to the hills, and many many many more.

I really played this record so often it drove my mom to absolute madness so I had to buy myself a stereo tower (or sorts) so I could listen to it in my room. I spent any an hour headbanging to Iron maiden.

The album and it's predecessor (Powerslave) really connected with my love of Egyptology, especially their art and religious habits. So the cover of Powerslave sat prominently in my room and the song that is the song that gave the album it's name is the song I am going to play for you.

GNR, Appetite, for sure. Plus Nevermind.

Probably the first album to really change how I saw music for the better was Paranoid. Discovering that really opened my eyes to what music could be, and introduced me to the idea that music did not have to sound pleasant to be great.

Following that, I discovered more of the new wave of British metal. Not knowing better, I loved it(admittedly some was worth loving *cough Priest cough*). Shortly after dropping out of college, I discovered the next band that would change my perception of what music could be:

All of a sudden, speed ruled! This was The Ramones, but better, and faster.

Naturally enough, this led me, eventually, to the best at that all out speed tempo music, and tool me back into metal.

Oddly, about this time, I would also discover another band thatwas doing something completely different, that I loved, but did not realize would color what I wanted in music to nearly the extent that it did. WHile I still love thrash, and punk, and hardcore, and death, and grind, I discovered something I loved even more, beginning with this album.

What I did not yet realize though was how extreme that slow sound could be. I discovered Napalm Death to feed my need for speed, and the Melvins was just kinda a break from the speed. ND was signed to a label called Earache recods, and I began buying everything from that label, which led me to the most awe inspiring, awesome, life changing album. While I would still love the speed, I now saw what else could be done, and how heavy you could be without that speed. And it all began like this:

And finally, I discovered the most pure doom album. Alot of people do not like it's cleaner, more crisply produced sound, but it works for me. I do still appreciate their earlier, rawer albums(both of them), but to me, the pinnacle was reached with Dopesick.

Rush: 2112, Larry Norman: In Another Land.

Probably the first album to really change how I saw music for the better was Paranoid. Discovering that really opened my eyes to what music could be, and introduced me to the idea that music did not have to sound pleasant to be great.

Yeah, Sabbath is one of the greatest of all times. Paranoid is a song that is one of the cornerstones of metal, together with Iron Man and Children of the Grave.

Following that, I discovered more of the new wave of British metal. Not knowing better, I loved it(admittedly some was worth loving *cough Priest cough*). Shortly after dropping out of college, I discovered the next band that would change my perception of what music could be:

All of a sudden, speed ruled! This was The Ramones, but better, and faster.

Gotta love some Priest. Breaking the law was an epic song but for me their greatest achievement as Unleashed in the East. From Exciter, Sinner, the Ripper, the green Manalishi (with the two pronged crown), diamonds and rust, Hell bent for Leather and Starmaker. That album is full of classics.

Naturally enough, this led me, eventually, to the best at that all out speed tempo music, and tool me back into metal

Naturally, the best speed metal band of all time and the best speed metal album. Reign in blood is an awesome album. From Angel of Death the foot is really on the accelerator until Postmortem/Raining in blood (love it when the 2 are played one after another life). Went to the South of Heaven tour, the best life concert I have ever seen.

As a younger musician, I was into a lot of different types of music- John Coltrane, The Beatles, Fugazi, Tom Waits, to name a few.

This album blew my mind!

OKComputer.jpg

Morcheeba's Trigger Hippie was my introduction to trip hop. Who Can You Trust is just a solid album.

Back
Top Bottom