• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Albright would've fit in at DP

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Quoting:

In 1998, she joined President Clinton’s foreign policy team in a live CNN event promoting the administration’s threat to bomb Iraq into complying with the demands of U.N. weapons inspectors. An exchange between Albright and Columbus public school teacher Jon Strange was later billed by the media as the “question heard around the world.”

JON STRANGE: What do you have to say about dictators of countries like Indonesia, who we sell weapons to, yet they are slaughtering people in East Timor? What do you have to say about Israel, who is slaughtering Palestinians, who impose martial law? What do you have to say about that? Those are our allies. Why do we sell weapons to these countries? Why do we support them? Why do we bomb Iraq when it commits similar problems?

SECRETARY OF STATE MADELEINE ALBRIGHT: The — there are various examples of things that are not right in this world, and the United States is trying —

AUDIENCE: [booing]

SECRETARY OF STATE MADELEINE ALBRIGHT: I really am surprised that people feel that it is necessary to defend the rights of Saddam Hussein, when what we ought to be thinking about is how to make sure that he does not use weapons of mass destruction.

^^^ What should we call that? Gaslighting? Trolling? Suggesting that people were "Saddam Hussein defenders" is just a tad like "Putin apologists" and "Russian trolls."

www.democracynow.org/2022/3/24/former_secretary_state_madeleine_albright_dies

Quoting:

In 1998, she joined President Clinton’s foreign policy team in a live CNN event promoting the administration’s threat to bomb Iraq into complying with the demands of U.N. weapons inspectors. An exchange between Albright and Columbus public school teacher Jon Strange was later billed by the media as the “question heard around the world.”

^^^ What should we call that? Gaslighting? Trolling? Suggesting that people were "Saddam Hussein defenders" is just a tad like "Putin apologists" and "Russian trolls."

^ Can't even wait until the corpse is cold to dishonor Madeline Albright, who was SoS during the peaceful, prosperous era of the 1990s.

^ Can't even wait until the corpse is cold to dishonor Madeline Albright, who was SoS during the peaceful, prosperous era of the 1990s.

Quoting:

AMY GOODMAN: Secretary of State Albright defended the Clinton administration’s devastating sanctions against Iraq. In 1996, she was interviewed by Leslie Stahl on CBS’s 60 Minutes.

LESLEY STAHL: We have heard that a half a million children have died. I mean, that’s more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?
AMBASSADOR MADELEINE ALBRIGHT: I think this is a very hard choice, but the price – we think the price is worth it.

AMY GOODMAN: In 2004, I had a chance to ask Madeleine Albright about those comments as she attended the Democratic National Convention in Boston.

AMY GOODMAN: Secretary Albright, the question I have always wanted to ask: Do you regret having said, when asked do you think the price was worth it, the killing of children in Iraq?
MADELEINE ALBRIGHT: I have said 5,000 times that I regret it. It was a stupid statement. I never should have made it. And if everybody else that has ever made a statement they regret would stand up, there would be a lot of people standing. I have many, many times said it, and I wish that people would report that I have said it. I wrote it in my book that it was a stupid statement.
AMY GOODMAN: Do you think it laid the groundwork for later being able to target Iraq and make it more acceptable on the part of the Bush administration?
MADELEINE ALBRIGHT: What? You’ve got to be kidding.
AMY GOODMAN: Well, the sanctions against Iraq.
MADELEINE ALBRIGHT: The sanctions against Iraq were put on because Saddam Hussein had invaded Kuwait. But there never were sanctions against food and medicine. And you people need to know there never were sanctions against food and medicine. And I was responsible for getting food in there and getting Saddam Hussein to pump oil.

^^^ Hmm, I wonder what that was about. Almost sounds like another "oopsie."

Quoting:

AMY GOODMAN: Secretary of State Albright defended the Clinton administration’s devastating sanctions against Iraq. In 1996, she was interviewed by Leslie Stahl on CBS’s 60 Minutes.

AMY GOODMAN: In 2004, I had a chance to ask Madeleine Albright about those comments as she attended the Democratic National Convention in Boston.

Let us know when we should start caring about the left-wing Democracy Now media.

Let us know when we should start caring about the left-wing Democracy Now media.

Thanks for letting me know that I'm the one that's cold-hearted (see #2).

That totally convinces me that I should care about Democracy Now. /s

That totally convinces me that I should care about Democracy Now. /s

Why would I try to convince someone who thinks that "dishonor" is the important issue here to do that?

Your initial reaction and further replies are just a distraction.

Why would I try to convince someone who thinks that "dishonor" is the important issue here to do that?

Your initial reaction and further replies are just a distraction.

Dishonor? You have the nerve to throw around the word "dishonor" when talking about Madeline Albright of all people?!

I'll let your careless comment speak for itself. :)

Albright , when US secretary to the UN, was also a key player in the lack of UNSC action to stop/stem the Rwandan genocide

The Organization of African Unity report cited the US action in the following

"Rwandan lives received no priority in American policy" ( considering the characterization of events in Ukraine at the moment we can just see more of the racism in international affairs )

She also made money off the back of the illegal NATO attack on Serbia and years later, at a book signing when she was confronted by Czech solidarity with Serbia activists, referred to them as " disgusting Serbs"

You reassigning blame for decision made above her pay grade. Sorry if the Democrats aren't holy enough for you, try the Trumpists and see if they'll do better. We are the world (maybe in a few hundred years)...

Quoting:

Trolling the recently deceased former Secretary of State is low, even for you.

Pathetic.

In case anyone should wonder whether or not Madeleine Albright should be burning in hell. We have an extreme tolerance for evil done by our country when the victims are brown.

https://www.newsweek.com/watch-made...iraqi-kids-deaths-worth-it-resurfaces-1691193
I missed the part in the article that quoted her saying;

"...I have said 5,000 times that I regret it. It was a stupid statement. I never should have made it. And if everybody else that has ever made a statement they regret would stand up, there would be a lot of people standing. I have many, many times said it, and I wish that people would report that I have said it. I wrote it in my book that it was a stupid statement..."

Quoting:

In case anyone should wonder whether or not Madeleine Albright should be burning in hell. We have an extreme tolerance for evil done by our country when the victims are brown.

https://www.newsweek.com/watch-made...iraqi-kids-deaths-worth-it-resurfaces-1691193

THE IRAQ SANCTIONS MYTH​

Sanctions allegedly killed hundreds of thousands of children in Iraq and provided a rationale for invasion, a line still heard today. But those deaths almost certainly never happened.

“The claim that sanctions killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children originated in a 1995 letter to The Lancet which, in turn, was based on a Baghdad survey done by Sarah Zaidi and colleagues. After other researchers identified anomalies in the survey data, Zaidi, to her great credit, re-investigated the work from the ground up. Having sub-contracted the original interviews to the Iraqi government, she traveled to Baghdad and re-interviewed many of the original households. When Zaidi failed to confirm quite a few of the reported deaths in these follow-up interviews, she retracted her results.”

“Sir
I, with others reported the results of a child mortality and nutrition survey I jointly conducted in Baghdad, in August, 1995, as a member of a mission sponsored by the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO). Because of the high level of child mortality, I took part in a follow-up mission to Iraq, in April, 1996, with the Center for Economic and Social Rights (CESR), a non-governmental organisation. The mortality rates estimated in 1996 were much lower than those reported in 1995, for unknown reasons. During a return mission by the FAO in August, 1997, I conducted detailed follow-up interviews with a subgroup of mothers.
CESR's 1996 survey used the same map, survey methodology, and interview questionnaire as the 1995 FAO survey, and included 20 repeat clusters from the earlier survey among the 64 total clusters selected by a random-number generator. There were four survey teams, each comprised an international supervisor, a Jordanian interviewer, and three enumerators from the Nutrition Research Institute (part of Iraq's Ministry of Health) who had taken part in data collection in 1995.
In the 1996 survey, relative neonatal and postneonatal mortality were estimated at 1·07 (95% CI 0·58–1·97) and 1·06 (0·45–2·54), respectively. The overall probability of death for children aged 0–5 years in the 5 years before the survey was estimated at 38 per 1000 persons at risk, which is several-fold lower than the estimate for 1995 (table).
For the repeat clusters, 69% of births (n=406) proved to match by name, sex, and date of birth, and an additional 27% by name and sex. However, only nine deaths were confirmed in both surveys: 65 deaths recorded in 1995 were not reported in 1996, and nine recorded in 1996 were not reported in 1995.”

THE IRAQ SANCTIONS MYTH​

Sanctions allegedly killed hundreds of thousands of children in Iraq and provided a rationale for invasion, a line still heard today. But those deaths almost certainly never happened.

“The claim that sanctions killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children originated in a 1995 letter to The Lancet which, in turn, was based on a Baghdad survey done by Sarah Zaidi and colleagues. After other researchers identified anomalies in the survey data, Zaidi, to her great credit, re-investigated the work from the ground up. Having sub-contracted the original interviews to the Iraqi government, she traveled to Baghdad and re-interviewed many of the original households. When Zaidi failed to confirm quite a few of the reported deaths in these follow-up interviews, she retracted her results.”

“Sir
I, with others reported the results of a child mortality and nutrition survey I jointly conducted in Baghdad, in August, 1995, as a member of a mission sponsored by the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO). Because of the high level of child mortality, I took part in a follow-up mission to Iraq, in April, 1996, with the Center for Economic and Social Rights (CESR), a non-governmental organisation. The mortality rates estimated in 1996 were much lower than those reported in 1995, for unknown reasons. During a return mission by the FAO in August, 1997, I conducted detailed follow-up interviews with a subgroup of mothers.
CESR's 1996 survey used the same map, survey methodology, and interview questionnaire as the 1995 FAO survey, and included 20 repeat clusters from the earlier survey among the 64 total clusters selected by a random-number generator. There were four survey teams, each comprised an international supervisor, a Jordanian interviewer, and three enumerators from the Nutrition Research Institute (part of Iraq's Ministry of Health) who had taken part in data collection in 1995.
In the 1996 survey, relative neonatal and postneonatal mortality were estimated at 1·07 (95% CI 0·58–1·97) and 1·06 (0·45–2·54), respectively. The overall probability of death for children aged 0–5 years in the 5 years before the survey was estimated at 38 per 1000 persons at risk, which is several-fold lower than the estimate for 1995 (table).
For the repeat clusters, 69% of births (n=406) proved to match by name, sex, and date of birth, and an additional 27% by name and sex. However, only nine deaths were confirmed in both surveys: 65 deaths recorded in 1995 were not reported in 1996, and nine recorded in 1996 were not reported in 1995.”

I'm glad you're righteous indignation has you searching for evidence that might (or might not) get us closer to 'truths.'

I'm glad you're righteous indignation has you searching for evidence that might (or might not) get us closer to 'truths.'
500k Iraqi kids dead as a result of international sanctions read like the headline of a Democracy Now YouTube segment. In other words, grossly exaggerated BS.

You upset now because I debunked your angry far left troll thread?

You should be happy to learn than 500k Iraqi did not die as a result international sanctions.

Saddam probably should have spent less money on his ****ing palaces, rebuilding his shattered army, and cooking up laughably inflated death tolls instead of feeding his people then.

Western hypocrisy does not excuse Hussein’s own actions.

500k Iraqi kids dead as a result of international sanctions read like the headline of a Democracy Now YouTube segment. In other words, grossly exaggerated BS.

Maybe it is incorrect. If so, then Democracy Now! screwed up.

You upset now because I debunked your angry far left troll thread?

You're obviously the one who's upset and is often trolling. Calling out militarism isn't trolling, just because you believe that USG militarism is noble.

I looked over that link you provided. It tells one part of a controversy, poorly. And the theme of the linked page is that Tony Blair and others used the purported children's deaths due to sanctions as bogus justifications for invading Iraq.

Whatever it is that you added iin your comment is very difficult to follow.

You should be happy to learn than 500k Iraqi did not die as a result international sanctions.

I would be, if that's the case. I looked at the Wikipedia page and it has various conflicting information. In one section it says that the mortality rate was incorrect. In another it says that several people resigned from their career because the effects of the sanctions were so bad and no one cared. At least one of them used the term 'genocide.'

Whatever the unknown truth is, Albright said that the deaths of children due to sanctions was worth it. And that's with what is claimed to be the inflated number, 500,000! She answered that 500,000 deaths of children was worth it. She didn't question the number. Why? Because part of her job was to validate US militarism. And since she didn't question the number, she must've known that economic sanctions are very damaging.

Hell, most of the idea was to make life so unbearable for the common citizen that their better option was to try to overthrow their authoritarian government!

Last edited:
Maybe it is incorrect. If so, then Democracy Now! screwed up.
Yep. 👍
You're obviously the one who's upset and is often trolling. Calling out militarism isn't trolling, just because you believe that USG militarism is just.
You got it ass backwards, as usual. I’m not trolling your “militarism”, I’m debunking your American militarism troll threads.
I looked over that link you provided. It tells one part of a controversy, poorly.
If you actually did review the references, you would know that the second reference was actually a letter written by Sarah Zaidi, the person responsible for the original much flawed analysis.

Last edited:

DN! will likely make a correction, if it's warranted.

You got it ass backwards, as usual. I’m not trolling your “militarism”, I’m debunking your American militarism troll threads.

You reinforced what I actually said.

If you actually did review the references, you would know that the second reference was actually a letter written by Sara Zaidi, the person responsible for the original much flawed analysis.

The purported problem was the veracity of the data provided by Iraq. She went back and tried to verify some deaths. She's one person; several organizations have tried to figure out what's accurate.

One short article, that you probably didn't see was a condemnation of Western powers, and a bunch of information tacked on that neither you nor I (nor likely anyone) can understand just by looking at it, is not a good debunking.

Last edited:

Well, you know. She was a woman, so...

Quoting:

It’s interesting that you supposedly support the “International Justice System” stopping militarism, but when the UN actually goes after a militarist (Saddam), you oppose them.

DN! will likely make a correction, if it's warranted.
A correction is warranted. No reason to believe that Democracy Now will own up to it’s error though.
The purported problem was the veracity of the data provided by Iraq. She went back and tried to verify some deaths. She's one person; several organizations have tried to figure out what's accurate.
Not paying attention, or being deliberately obtuse?

Zaidi didn’t return to Iraq, alone. She took another team with her and conducted a second, much more thorough and accurate analysis which concluded a several-fold lower than the estimate for 1995”.

“Sir

Again, Zaidi’s report is the original source for data repeated elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom