• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Albright would've fit in at DP

A correction is warranted. No reason to believe that Democracy Now will own up to it’s error though.

Not paying attention, or being deliberately obtuse?

Zaidi didn’t return to Iraq, alone. She took another team with her and conducted a second, much more thorough and accurate analysis which concluded a several-fold lower than the estimate for 1995”.

Again, Zaidi’s report is the original source for data repeated elsewhere.

What was one of the main strategies behind economic sanctions? (see #19)

How many Iraqis suffered due to economic sanctions?

How many Iraqi children did Zaidi et al determine died due to economic sanctions?

How successful were the economic sanctions in accomplishing the geopolitical goal of removing Hussein from power?

By the way, some people from the RIP thread migrated to this thread to falsely claim that I dishonored a former secretary of foreign policy who just passed away. Not only did you want to honor her in a protected thread, you felt it was necessary to come to a political thread and defend her gaslighting (<= the theme of the thread) by gaslighting this thread with Righteous Indignation Posing as political discussion/debate.

How many Iraqi children did Zaidi et al determine died due to economic sanctions?
The corrected “several fold lower” ratios are in the report, which you can read for yourself.

How successful were the economic sanctions in accomplishing the geopolitical goal of removing Hussein from power?

Economic sanctions were decided by the “International Justice System”. Was the “International Justice System” wrong?

The corrected “several fold lower” ratios are in the report, which you can read for yourself.

Therefore, Albright said that ________ (<= some mysterious number represented by a "several fold lower ratio" of 500,000) Iraqi children deaths was worth it. Whatever "it" is. And whatever "worth" was extracted from their deaths.

By the way, a good international justice system would help children NOT hurt children.

By the way, a good international justice system would help children NOT hurt children.

While Albright praised the sanctions against Iraq the head of it, Denis Halliday, resigned saying.............

I was driven to resignation because I refused to continue to take Security Council orders, the same Security Council that had imposed and sustained genocidal sanctions on the innocent of Iraq. I did not want to be complicit. I wanted to be free to speak out publicly about this crime.

His replacement , Hans Von Sponeck ,came to the same conslusion

So, the two heads of the sanctions regime resigned saying they were illegal and genocidal.

Albright thought they were just fine. Follow that with her actions regarding the Rwandan genocide and she was a real supporter of genocidal activities. How any can hold her as a guiding light and know these things beggars belief

Therefore, Albright said that ________ (<= some mysterious number represented by a "several fold lower ratio" of 500,000) Iraqi children deaths was worth it. Whatever "it" is. And whatever "worth" was extracted from their deaths.
More childish deflections.

Your fake news Democracy Now repeated inaccurate data regarding the number of Iraqi children estimated to have died as a result of international sanctions.

No avoiding that fact.

No study conducted has been able to establish better than an estimate of Iraqi kids that died due to international sanctions.

Below, are the formulas from 1995, and the corrected 1996 study.
47088B32-0952-4F65-8A36-BE767E38F230.jpeg
4EA348BD-1D41-4B03-9FB2-3ADCAEEFBE17.jpeg

More childish deflections.

Deflections from what?

Your fake news Democracy Now repeated inaccurate data regarding the number of Iraqi children estimated to have died as a result of international sanctions.

No avoiding that fact.

Now you've adopted the 'fake news' mantra.

No study conducted has been able to establish better than an estimate of Iraqi kids that died due to international sanctions.

Below, are the formulas from 1995, and the corrected 1996 study.

Since you're acting as a stand-in for Albright: How many dead Iraqi children was "it" "worth"? Or would you also like to pivot and question why I "defend the rights of Saddam Hussein"?

Deflections from what?
From the purported 500k Iraqi children’s deaths.
Now you've adopted the 'fake news' mantra.
The mantra fits.
Since you're acting as a stand-in for Albright: How many dead Iraqi children was "it" "worth"? Or would you also like to pivot and question why I "defend the rights of Saddam Hussein"?
More @Antiwar childish deflecting. I’ve said nothing about Albright’s comment.

While Albright praised the sanctions against Iraq the head of it, Denis Halliday, resigned saying.............

His replacement , Hans Von Sponeck ,came to the same conslusion

So, the two heads of the sanctions regime resigned saying they were illegal and genocidal.

Albright thought they were just fine. Follow that with her actions regarding the Rwandan genocide and she was a real supporter of genocidal activities. How any can hold her as a guiding light and know these things beggars belief

It looks like three high-level humanitarian officials resigned:

Quoting:

The United Nations sanctions against Iraq suffered a new setback yesterday after another high-ranking official was reported to have resigned in protest at the suffering of the civilian population.
European diplomats in Baghdad said the head of the UN World Food Programme in Iraq, Jutta Purghart, of Germany, had quit her post.

Her move came 24 hours after the UN accepted the resignation of the humanitarian coordinator, Hans von Sponeck, who protested at the impact of the sanctions on the civilian population.
The sanctions policy has been criticised by other international humanitarian organisations operating in Iraq. Mr von Sponeck's predecessor, Denis Halliday, resigned in 1998, also over the sanctions.

I bet Democracy Now! is much better than any of your news and analysis sources.
The fact that DN published previously disproven data proves otherwise.
A question is supposedly childish deflecting? Is your avoidance legitimate questions and comments adultish deflection?
Multiple deflections and childish comments.

I have only addressed the bogus report you posted. Nothing else.

The fact that DN published previously disproven data proves otherwise.

Multiple deflections and childish comments.

I have only addressed the bogus report you posted. Nothing else.

You might be fooling someone.

Saddam Hussein wasn't part of a good international justice system, nor an ineffective international justice system that's often co-opted by the USG.

Saddam was the party hurting children.

Not according to those running the programme, they put the blame fairly and squarely on the UNSC. Albright was a big fan of them

I think all of the people charged with running them would have known who was to blame and from the fact that all of them resigned for the same reasons it's not as though there is any wriggle room on this one

It might be convenient for you to believe that and it might be because it just feels better to believe it but those in the know say no to it

Not according to those running the programme, they put the blame fairly and squarely on the UNSC. Albright was a big fan of them

I think all of the people charged with running them would have known who was to blame and from the fact that all of them resigned for the same reasons it's not as though there is any wriggle room on this one

It might be convenient for you to believe that and it might be because it just feels better to believe it but those in the know say no to it

Saddam could have chosen to throw his resources towards helping his people. Instead he built palaces, smuggled in weapons, and did nothing to help them while they starved.

Saddam could have chosen to throw his resources towards helping his people. Instead he built palaces, smuggled in weapons, and did nothing to help them while they starved.

That Saddam Hussein was a despotic horror isn't in doubt. That said the people charged with running the sanctions considered the sanctions themselves to be " genocidal" and " criminal". That's just the truth of the matter. To blame SH for the sanctions is pointless as he didn't design them nor implement them

Last edited:
^ Can't even wait until the corpse is cold to dishonor Madeline Albright, who was SoS during the peaceful, prosperous era of the 1990s.
How do you define peaceful?

Saddam Hussein wasn't part of a good international justice system, nor an ineffective international justice system that's often co-opted by the USG.

Interesting. So you admit that all that has to happen for your International Justice System to utterly fail is for a dictator to refuse to participate in it?

I've just read an article about Ms. A. on al jazeera.

The author quotes Ms. A.'s infamous quotation about letting children die.

But he neglects to tell us that Ms. A. later apologized for having made that insensitive remark.

Back
Top Bottom