• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alaska’s Iditarod race punishes mushers for sheltering dogs from storm

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

hree merciful mushers were quietly penalized during an iconic Alaskan dog sled race for breaking rules by sheltering their animals during a fierce winter storm.

Mille Porsild of Denmark, Michelle Phillips of Canada and Riley Dyche of Fairbanks were punished for potentially saving their dogs’ lives during the last stretch of this year’s Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race by taking them into shelter cabins to ride out wind-whipping, white-out conditions, the Anchorage Daily News reported Friday.

Race marshal Mark Nordman said he penalized the mushers because indoor rest for the dogs created a competitive advantage over other teams that trailed them.
=========================================
I feel sorry for the poor dogs here.

Surely some Alaskans can eventually find the guts to suggest stopping this annual "tradition" in manly Alaska.

As we two-legged animals become more civilized, we should surely have more respect for our four-legged brothers and sisters.

Surely some Alaskans can eventually find the guts to suggest stopping this annual "tradition" in manly Alaska.

As we two-legged animals become more civilized, we should surely have more respect for our four-legged brothers and sisters.
Actually, the adage goes: "Alaska, where men are men, and women win the Iditarod."

It was coined after Susan Butcher's fourth Iditarod win.

The OP is also completely ignorant of both the reason for the rule, and what the dogs actually experience. My home is next to the Iditarod trial, and their headquarters is just a few miles down the road from me.

Alaskan Huskies are specifically bred to be sled dogs. They are high energy dogs that absolutely adore the cold, love to run and pull in all weather. Anyone who has ever owned an Alaskan Husky knows this.

Rule #37 exists specifically because it would give an advantage to the musher and their dogs that none of the racers or dogs would have. There were 48 other mushers with around 850 dogs experiencing the exact same weather and not able to seek shelter in a cabin. They either sought shelter in the natural terrain, or made their own shelter. That was why these two mushers were fined, and rightly so.

Last edited:
That is because you don't understand the rule, or why it exists.
If killing the dogs unnecessarily while the people are allowed to save themselves is a necessary rule for the race, then maybe the race itself needs to be sacrificed.

If killing the dogs unnecessarily while the people are allowed to save themselves is a necessary rule for the race, then maybe the race itself needs to be sacrificed.
Since you have absolutely no clue how many dogs have died, and you are completely clueless about the Iditarod rules, I can write-off your rant as pure ignorance, as usual.

Indeed.

Since you have absolutely no clue how many dogs have died, and you are completely clueless about the Iditarod rules, I can write-off your rant as pure ignorance, as usual.
Are humans allowed to shelter?

Since the Iditarod began, more than 150 dogs have died while being forced to run about 1,000 miles—100 miles a day—through biting winds, blinding snowstorms, subzero temperatures, and treacherous ice. The leading cause of death for dogs on the trail is aspiration pneumonia—caused by inhaling their own vomit—and many more die in other horrific ways, including asphyxiation, heart attacks, trauma from being struck by a vehicle, freezing to death, and excess fluid in the lungs.

These are animals, they are beasts, They are not to be given the same respect as humans.

But below that, this is the environment sled dogs were bred to live in.

Since the Iditarod began, more than 150 dogs have died while being forced to run about 1,000 miles—100 miles a day—through biting winds, blinding snowstorms, subzero temperatures, and treacherous ice. The leading cause of death for dogs on the trail is aspiration pneumonia—caused by inhaling their own vomit—and many more die in other horrific ways, including asphyxiation, heart attacks, trauma from being struck by a vehicle, freezing to death, and excess fluid in the lungs.
60 million children have been murdered by their mothers through abortion. Excuse me if I don’t care that much about 150 dogs.

60 million children have been murdered by their mothers through abortion. Excuse me if I don’t care that much about 150 dogs.
Also consider the source. PETA is not exactly a credible source when it concerns dog deaths. They count dogs that have died long after the race is over.

There have been a total of 153 dog deaths since 1973, out of the 34,300+ dogs that have run the race during that period. That is counting the initial serum run that started the Iditarod. Four dogs died, and all 20 mushers suffered from frost-bite and other Winter conditions during that first serum run. Out of the 850+ dogs that participated, no dogs died during the 2022 Iditarod, not even those dogs who were caught in the windstorm and could not seek shelter.

All I know is, watching White Fang I cried like a baby when that dog put his whole heart and soul into pulling in some competition that was sheer misery. Maybe they're performance athletes and love the challenge, I don't know, but if I were the musher who kept my dogs warm, I'd be okay with the penalty.

Also consider the source. PETA is not exactly a credible source when it concerns dog deaths. They count dogs that have died long after the race is over.

There have been a total of 153 dog deaths since 1973, out of the 34,300+ dogs that have run the race during that period. That is counting the initial serum run that started the Iditarod. Four dogs died, and all 20 mushers suffered from frost-bite and other Winter conditions during that first serum run. Out of the 850+ dogs that participated, no dogs died during the 2022 Iditarod, not even those dogs who were caught in the windstorm and could not seek shelter.
I heard the dogs burrow in and den in snowbanks.

All I know is, watching White Fang I cried like a baby when that dog put his whole heart and soul into pulling in some competition that was sheer misery. Maybe they're performance athletes and love the challenge, I don't know, but if I were the musher who kept my dogs warm, I'd be okay with the penalty.
Have you ever owned an Alaskan Husky?

Walt Disney's White Fang, by the way, was a wolf-Siberian Husky hybrid and they are not anything like an Alaskan Husky. Alaskan Huskies are a medium-size dog in the 40 to 60 pound range. They are very high energy, love to run and pull, and have a strange infatuation with cold weather. Every Winter you could find my Alaskan Husky sitting or laying on an exposed chunk of ice in -30°F (-34.4°C) temperatures, exposed to the winds, and loving it.

You also fail to comprehend that there were 48 other mushers and 850+ dogs that did not have the same advantages as these mushers who cheated. They were exposed to the windstorm and had to make their own shelter. That is why the rule exists, to prevent mushers from seeking advantages that nobody else has.

Walt Disney's White Fang, by the way, was a wolf-Siberian Husky hybrid and they are not anything like an Alaskan Husky. Alaskan Huskies are a medium-size dog in the 40 to 60 pound range. They are very high energy, love to run and pull, and have a strange infatuation with cold weather. Every Winter you could find my Alaskan Husky sitting or laying on an exposed chunk of ice in -30°F (-34.4°C) temperatures, exposed to the winds, and loving it.

You also fail to comprehend that there were 48 other mushers and 850+ dogs that did not have the same advantages as these mushers who cheated. They were exposed to the windstorm and had to make their own shelter. That is why the rule exists, to prevent mushers from seeking advantages that nobody else has.
I do understand the rule. What I'm saying is, being soft hearted me, I'd gladly break the rule for my dogs. Don't worry, I won't be running in the Iditarod.

I heard the dogs burrow in and den in snowbanks.
Mine never did. She sat exposed to the elements. The colder it got, the more she seemed to enjoy it. She could have come inside and enjoy the warmth of my home any time she wanted, but she preferred to stay outside most of the Winter. The only time she spent indoors was during the Summer months.

Nobody cares more for their dogs than the mushers. They wouldn't be mushers in the first place if they didn't love dogs. The mushers I know treat their dogs as if they were family. They will do anything for their dogs.

My neighbor once had an Alaskan malamute that would pant with the heat if they tried bringing him in during really bad weather. He had a nice sturdy dog house and got by in weather that would easily kill us. I get that.

No, they are not. See Rule #28.

Your abject ignorance has you spewing all kinds of ridiculous nonsense. At least get a modicum of education about the subject before regurgitating such stupidity.
It might be cool to have a race in which a human pulls a shitload of dogs on a sled through blizzards. Would you watch that? I probably wouldn't, as I don't really like death sports.

I do understand the rule. What I'm saying is, being soft hearted me, I'd gladly break the rule for my dogs. Don't worry, I won't be running in the Iditarod.
The odds are you would have been in the middle of nowhere, without a cabin or other man-made shelter available for miles. If the winds were particularly bad, and there was no available shelter from the terrain in the area, then you would be creating your own shelter from the snow, ice, and materials you are required to bring. That includes dog jackets for extreme cold or windy conditions, fuel to heat the dog food, an axe to cut firewood, and a tarp to provide shelter.

Alaskan Huskies also have two layers of fur. An outter coat of long coarse hairs, and an inner coat of very fine hairs. The obvious advantage is that is keeps them warm during very cold temperatures. The not so obvious disadvantage is that they shed massive quantities twice a year.

The odds are you would have been in the middle of nowhere, without a cabin or other man-made shelter available for miles. If the winds were particularly bad, and there was no available shelter from the terrain in the area, then you would be creating your own shelter from the snow, ice, and materials you are required to bring. That includes dog jackets for extreme cold or windy conditions, fuel to heat the dog food, an axe to cut firewood, and a tarp to provide shelter.

Alaskan Huskies also have two layers of fur. An outter coat of long coarse hairs, and an inner coat of very fine hairs. The obvious advantage is that is keeps them warm during very cold temperatures. The not so obvious disadvantage is that they shed massive quantities twice a year.
Yeah, you could have stuffed a mattress with the fur that came off my neighbor's malamute.

My neighbor once had an Alaskan malamute that would pant with the heat if they tried bringing him in during really bad weather. He had a nice sturdy dog house and got by in weather that would easily kill us. I get that.
Alaskan malamutes are more my kind of dog. I really like big dogs. My last dog was a Boerboel (South African Mastiff). I really didn't know what I was getting into when I got my Alaskan Husky. All my prior dogs had been mixed lab or retrievers. Of all the dogs I've owned, the Boerboel was the best by far. He saved me from an unwanted bear and moose encounter on a couple of occasions. Unlike all my other dogs, my Boerboel never barked around wildlife. He would just quietly insert himself between me and the perceived threat and stop. That is precisely the kind of behavior I want in a dog.

Also keep in mind that the mushers are experiencing the same conditions as their dogs. It is not exactly a fun experience for humans sleeping outside in -50°F (-45.5°C) temperatures, no matter how much you are wearing.

Dogs also don't sweat. They lose their excess heat by either panting and through the pads on their paws. Which is why dog snowshoes are sometimes necessary. Particularly after they have been running for awhile. The pads on their feet will melt the snow and often form ice between their toes which makes them uncomfortable if they are not wearing their booties.

Last edited:
Alaskan malamutes are more my kind of dog. I really like big dogs. My last dog was a Boerboel (South African Mastiff). I really didn't know what I was getting into when I got my Alaskan Husky. All my prior dogs had been mixed lab or retrievers. Of all the dogs I've owned, the Boerboel was the best by far. He saved me from an unwanted bear and moose encounter on a couple of occasions. Unlike all my other dogs, my Boerboel never barked around wildlife. He would just quietly insert himself between me and the perceived threat and stop. That is precisely the kind of behavior I want in a dog.

Also keep in mind that the mushers are experiencing the same conditions as their dogs. It is not exactly a fun experience for humans sleeping outside in -50°F (-45.5°C) temperatures, no matter how much you are wearing.

Dogs also don't sweat. They lose their excess heat by either panting and through the pads on their paws. Which is why dog snowshoes are sometimes necessary. Particularly after they have been running for awhile. The pads on their feet will melt the snow and often form ice between their toes which makes them uncomfortable if they are not wearing their booties.
It's an extreme endurance contest, I realize. I think some people object to it because it's one thing to put yourself through that challenge, but another to drag an animal with no choice through it. You insist they love it. The ones who ran until they dropped of a heart attack or froze to death, not so much. That seems cruel to me.

Back
Top Bottom