• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alarmist once again struggle to explain a failed prediction

The ocean is rising. We're still halfway to a Haiku.
The ocean has been raising for a long time, and likely will continue to do so until it begins to fall.

@Lord of Planar Most times I include links when I feel I'm speaking to someone who won't dismiss all evidence requested. This isn't one of those times. Look up the science yourself.
I am perfectly capable of finding most information if it exists. I didn't find any such material with such correlations.

What I have learned over my near decade here at DP is that people here are too ashamed to link a blog they took material from, because they know it will be questioned as unreliable. Now causing changes to the Hadley Cell... That would take some real serious terrestrial changes.

OK, no link... I will assume you are speaking from where the sun doesn't shine.

I have been studying this science for a very long time, and this is the first time I saw someone connect rainforest and hadley cell. I have seen it related to ocean temperatures, but not the rainforest.

Link please. I want to see the science of this.

What is myopic and showing ignorance is those who deny change is happening and want to dicker about the causes. At this point arguing over why it's happening is cutting off nose to spite face. Preparations need to be made and ameliorative efforts enacted to change what can be changed and stop what can be stopped in order to avoid the displacement of millions of people and the ensuring disruptions to daily lives that will occur and are occurring now.
You seem to be taking my position that sea level is an ever-changing phenomenon and being aware of it should trump arguing about the cause. In retrospect building cities barely above sea level wasn't real smart or forward thinking was it.

You seem to be taking my position that sea level is an ever-changing phenomenon and being aware of it should trump arguing about the cause. In retrospect building cities barely above sea level wasn't real smart or forward thinking was it.
Ask Obama, He recently purchased a home only a few feet above sea level.
I frankly would not want an ocean front home, but not because of sea level rise but storm surge.
During Hurricane Ike, the storm surge raised the level in Galveston bay by 15 feet, and it stayed that high for about 30 hours.
That is far more dangerous than loosing 2 feet a century (Galveston is sinking).

No, the strawman is the moronic OP. In typical idiot fashion, it pretends some random opinion represents scientific consensus. It revels in ignorance and calls all those without education to join in the idiocy. One such joining of idiocy was the claim that Florida should, now, be under water. Descending to that level of idiocy is to be expected when the OP is so moronic.

-MSc International Environmental Science

Now, perhaps we should discuss your previous threads in which all of this was explained to you. Remember the "beaches are not shrinking!" thread? But you continue to spam idiotic threads. You spam the most moronic climate denier crap you can find. You have been for years. This has all been explained to you a dozen times that I've seen. So let's not act all innocent.

This is your routine. It's moronic. You do it all the time.

Your climate threads should be in the Conspiracy Theory Sub-forum. They are stupid and they make the forum look ridiculous. You don't know anything about any science, do you.

Cue the clowns.
Wrong. You made a false claim that somebody predicted Florida would be under by 2022, that is nothing but a lie and a typical tactic of Stormfronters.

• Just some causes of sea level change

• rifting of tectonic plates at divergent plate boundaries;
  • assembly of micro-continents, volcanic terrains, continents - especially supercontinents like Rodinia, Pangea, etc.;
  • subduction of tectonic plates at ocean trenches at convergent plate boundaries;
  • eruption and formation of large igneous provinces that originate from massive extrusions of lava, oceanic plateaus, hotspot volcanic island chains, etc.;
  • high rates of volcanism on the seafloor volumetrically displace water out of the ocean basin producing higher sea levels (called transgression of sea level);
  • low rates of volcanism allow water to return to the ocean basin and sea levels drop (called regression of sea level);
  • when rocks cool from a molten state, they contract in volume; this allows subsidence to occur, especially along the mid-ocean ridges, and sea levels fall;
  • when rates of volcanism are low, rocks tend to cool faster and sea levels drop as subsidence occurs.
  • conversely, when rates of volcanism are high, it takes longer for the rocks to cool, and sea level remains higher for longer periods of time after the rate of volcanism subsides.

• Just some causes of sea level change

• rifting of tectonic plates at divergent plate boundaries;
  • assembly of micro-continents, volcanic terrains, continents - especially supercontinents like Rodinia, Pangea, etc.;
  • subduction of tectonic plates at ocean trenches at convergent plate boundaries;
  • eruption and formation of large igneous provinces that originate from massive extrusions of lava, oceanic plateaus, hotspot volcanic island chains, etc.;
  • high rates of volcanism on the seafloor volumetrically displace water out of the ocean basin producing higher sea levels (called transgression of sea level);
  • low rates of volcanism allow water to return to the ocean basin and sea levels drop (called regression of sea level);
  • when rocks cool from a molten state, they contract in volume; this allows subsidence to occur, especially along the mid-ocean ridges, and sea levels fall;
  • when rates of volcanism are low, rocks tend to cool faster and sea levels drop as subsidence occurs.
  • conversely, when rates of volcanism are high, it takes longer for the rocks to cool, and sea level remains higher for longer periods of time after the rate of volcanism subsides.
Normal water table subsidence is a big problem on much of the Gulf Coast.
If you think about the ground like a sponge, as they remove water from the water table, the sponge shrinks.
A neighborhood in Baytown (Brownwood)built in the 50's, was abandoned in the 80's because it had sunk about 6 feet,
and parts dropped below the high tide line.

Back
Top Bottom