• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey will not meet with Vice President Kamala Harris on Selma trip

j brown's body

"A Soros-backed animal"
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
"Gov. Kay Ivey will not meet with Vice President Kamala Harris on her trip to Selma this weekend for events commemorating Bloody Sunday. Gina Maiola, the governor’s communications director, said Friday that Gov. Ivey “has other engagements.”

Maiola confirmed that the governor will not attend Vice President Harris’ remarks and will not greet the first Black Vice President when she arrives in Alabama. Instead, Gov. Ivey will participate in a luncheon held by the Alabama Cattlemen’s Association, which is holding a convention and trade show in Mobile. Ivey had confirmed her attendance at the cattlemen’s event before the Office of the Vice President announced Harris’ visit to Selma, Maiola said.

In 2015, when President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama visited Selma for the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday, then-Gov. Robert Bentley attended the event, speaking at the foot of the Edmund Pettus Bridge to scattered boos from the audience."

Link

A Republican governor sees no political advantage in appearing with the first black vice president to celebrate the anniversary of the historic voting rights march. After all the last one was booed for it.

"Gov. Kay Ivey will not meet with Vice President Kamala Harris on her trip to Selma this weekend for events commemorating Bloody Sunday. Gina Maiola, the governor’s communications director, said Friday that Gov. Ivey “has other engagements.”

Maiola confirmed that the governor will not attend Vice President Harris’ remarks and will not greet the first Black Vice President when she arrives in Alabama. Instead, Gov. Ivey will participate in a luncheon held by the Alabama Cattlemen’s Association, which is holding a convention and trade show in Mobile. Ivey had confirmed her attendance at the cattlemen’s event before the Office of the Vice President announced Harris’ visit to Selma, Maiola said.

In 2015, when President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama visited Selma for the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday, then-Gov. Robert Bentley attended the event, speaking at the foot of the Edmund Pettus Bridge to scattered boos from the audience."

Link

A Republican governor sees no political advantage in appearing with the first black vice president to celebrate the anniversary of the historic voting rights march. After all the last one was booed for it.
Conflicting events.

Do you change your prior commitments because someone you didn’t invite decides to show up in your town?

Conflicting events.

Do you change your prior commitments because someone you didn’t invite decides to show up in your town?

Its a convention. She could attend another event.

After all, who wants to be booed?

Good forbid she show natiinal unity around a universal issue like voting, even if you are passing laws to suppress it.

i been to Alabama a ton. i don't think most of America really understand what the people there are like.

Conflicting events.

First come first serve

The Governor should send her regards and the Lt Governor in her place.

Uhm... Not much too see here

When a political enemy arrives to grandstand and gain some sort of cheap political advantage why should one go out of one's way to help him or her?

First come first serve

The Governor should send her regards and the Lt Governor in her place.

Uhm... Not much too see here
Yeah, I’m really not caring much about who shows up for photo ops. 🤷‍♀️ And that’s all this is.

Yeah, it’s sort of like Chuck Schumer showing up to speak at an NRA convention. No one likes getting booed, such is the stranglehold over black hearts and minds of the Democrat victimhood machine with its endless supplies of goodies.

Yeah, it’s sort of like Chuck Schumer showing up to speak at an NRA convention. No one likes getting booed, such is the stranglehold over black hearts and minds of the Democrat victimhood machine with its endless supplies of goodies.

Comparing voting rights to a convention for an organization the funneled Russian money to Republican political candidates seems incongruous.

i been to Alabama a ton. i don't think most of American really understands what the people there are like.

My state of Indiana is similar both politically and economically so I think I have a pretty good idea. Not a place I would want to live, and I'm getting out of Indiana once my elderly parents pass as I am the primary caretaker and they are in no shape to move.

Last edited:
When a political enemy arrives to grandstand and gain some sort of cheap political advantage why should one go out of one's way to help him or her?
Political enemy? Huh?

Opposites attract: A look inside the unlikely friendship of Scalia and  Ginsburg - CBS News

only state where i've had someone pull a gun on me. an old lady (probably a grandmother).
LOL - now why, of all the posts I've read of yours, am I not surprised by this one?

Link

I mean the Republican party is the white party, they don't need votes from anyone who isn't white. She obviously knows this, so off to the cattle show she goes.

only state where i've had someone pull a gun on me. an old lady (probably a grandmother).
Can you share with us what happened? I had a friend have drugs planted on his vehicle in neighboring Arkansas. After some time in jail, and the local sheriff in the local newspaper calling him a drug dealer that they needed to get off the streets, (He's never even smoked pot or sold drugs), some time in a jail starving with little food (your relatives have to send money to the jail to feed you more than strained oatmeal), and 70,000 dollars later, he is free, but has a criminal record. And he did make several trips from Indiana to Arkansas to see a judge, who didn't bother to show up a couple of times.

I've lived in Georgia and spent some time visiting Florida. You can have those southern ****hole states. I would never want to live down there again. People worry about what could happen to you in Mexico. Hell some of those redneck states are even worse!

Link

So what?

I mean the Republican party is the white party, they don't need votes from anyone who isn't white. She obviously knows this, so off to the cattle show she goes.
It's sad how little some people know about their own political party to be making such racist statements about another.

It's sad how little some people know about their own political party to be making such racist statements about another.

I don't agree with him 100 percent but he's not totally wrong considering the white racist trash that is attracted to the Republican Party these days.

Can you share with us what happened? I had a friend have drugs planted on his vehicle in neighboring Arkansas. After some time in jail, and the local sheriff in the local newspaper calling him a drug dealer that they needed to get off the streets, (He's never even smoked pot or sold drugs), some time in a jail starving with little food (your relatives have to send money to the jail to feed you more than strained oatmeal), and 70,000 dollars later, he is free, but has a criminal record. And he did make several trips from Indiana to Arkansas to see a judge, who didn't bother to show up a couple of times.

I've lived in Georgia and spent some time visiting Florida. You can have those southern ****hole states. I would never want to live down there again. People worry about what could happen to you in Mexico. Hell some of those redneck states are even worse!
Me and some shipmates of mine were driving home one night in Charleston when a local yokel tried to pull us over on a bridge. We motioned we'd pull over at the bottom of it (for safety reasons), but he proceeded to shoot our tire out. We spent 4 hours in the drunk tank, sober as a bone (it had been a boring night, till then). At our court date, in some small courthouse in the country, the cop walked up to the podium, propped his foot up on the base, resting his arm on the desk and looked down at us, sitting in folding chairs about 10 feet away, over sunglasses and a pot belly the size of which inspired the name of certain stoves. We thought we were doomed. :) But our lawyer was a friend of one of our officers and he got us off scot-free and the cop, who had been up for chief of police, was demoted.

Lesson learned though -- blue light laws in the southern states are serious stuff. :)

I don't agree with him 100 percent but he's not totally wrong considering the white racist trash that is attracted to the Republican Party these days.
A little bit of trash does not a party make. And there's plenty to go around in both. That said, one has a demonstrably definite and long history that's far more despicable - and racist - than what some are trying to paint the Republican party these days.

Back
Top Bottom