• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey will not meet with Vice President Kamala Harris on Selma trip

Me and some shipmates of mine were driving home one night in Charleston when a local yokel tried to pull us over on a bridge. We motioned we'd pull over at the bottom of it (for safety reasons), but he proceeded to shoot our tire out. We spent 4 hours in the drunk tank, sober as a bone (it had been a boring night, till then). At our court date, in some small courthouse in the country, the cop walked up to the podium, propped his foot up on the base, resting his arm on the desk and looked down at us, sitting in folding chairs about 10 feet away, over sunglasses and a pot belly the size of which inspired the name of certain stoves. We thought we were doomed. :) But our lawyer was a friend of one of our officers and he got us off scot-free and the cop, who had been up for chief of police, was demoted.

Lesson learned though -- blue light laws in the southern states are serious stuff. :)
I forgot to add the cells in the jail were overcrowded and my friend has to sleep on the concrete floor. He said he never saw a black person as they must have been segregated somewhere else. I guess, at least in Arkansas, you're apparently a criminal until proven innocent or you can fork over lots of money. I still say his lawyer, local law enforcement, and a judge were working a scam. He still drives down there to pick up live fish (he's in the fish supply business). I told him I'd stay the hell away from that state as if he gets pulled over he has a criminal record and the cop will be biased. (That is if they don't plant drugs again).

I forgot to add the cells in the jail were overcrowded and my friend has to sleep on the concrete floor. He said he never saw a black person as they must have been segregated somewhere else. I guess, at least in Arkansas, you're apparently you're a criminal until proven innocent or you can fork over lots of money. I still say his lawyer, local law enforcement, and a judge were working a scam.
I'll be honest - coming from Colorado, I had no clue what true racism was until I joined the Navy and saw it first hand down south. I boot-camped in Orlando and it wasn't 1 day before I was accosted by several black guys for being white. In my company however, perhaps half were black and half white. And by and large, we all got along great. Never an issue.

One of my shipmates (white) was from the south and he was hands-down the most racist individual I've ever met. Nice guy otherwise, intelligent, educated, good at his job. I asked him one day why he was racist and his response floored me - "Because that's how I was taught and raised." And frankly, I think that's the answer to why most people are racist, whether they're white or black - because that's how they've been taught and raised.

I'll be honest - coming from Colorado, I had no clue what true racism was until I joined the Navy and saw it first hand down south. I boot-camped in Orlando and it wasn't 1 day before I was accosted by several black guys for being white. In my company however, perhaps half were black and half white. And by and large, we all got along great. Never an issue.

One of my shipmates (white) was from the south and he was hands-down the most racist individual I've ever met. Nice guy otherwise, intelligent, educated, good at his job. I asked him one day why he was racist and his response floored me - "Because that's how I was taught and raised." And frankly, I think that's the answer to why most people are racist, whether they're white or black - because that's how they've been taught and raised.
A friend my dad's that served in Special Forces with him is a very nice guy, but oh my God does he hate blacks! He's originally from North Carolina. The story is he was picked on by blacks growing up, and was thrown off a bridge to drown by a group of them and never got over it.

I moved to a school in Michigan that has just had a race riot and things were pretty tense between whites and blacks. (Mt. Clemons HS 1973) I got shoved into a locker a few times just for being white, but I'm not narrow minded enough to put them all in that category. And there are racists in all races. I've run into some blacks that make the Archie Bunker stereotype look mild. I ran into a Jew that absolutely despises Christians.

Last edited:
"Gov. Kay Ivey will not meet with Vice President Kamala Harris on her trip to Selma this weekend for events commemorating Bloody Sunday. Gina Maiola, the governor’s communications director, said Friday that Gov. Ivey “has other engagements.”

Maiola confirmed that the governor will not attend Vice President Harris’ remarks and will not greet the first Black Vice President when she arrives in Alabama. Instead, Gov. Ivey will participate in a luncheon held by the Alabama Cattlemen’s Association, which is holding a convention and trade show in Mobile. Ivey had confirmed her attendance at the cattlemen’s event before the Office of the Vice President announced Harris’ visit to Selma, Maiola said.

In 2015, when President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama visited Selma for the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday, then-Gov. Robert Bentley attended the event, speaking at the foot of the Edmund Pettus Bridge to scattered boos from the audience."

Link

A Republican governor sees no political advantage in appearing with the first black vice president to celebrate the anniversary of the historic voting rights march. After all the last one was booed for it.

George Wallace lives on in the hearts of trump nation.

A friend my dad's that served in Special Forces with him is a very nice guy, but oh my God does he hate blacks! He's originally from North Carolina. The story is he was picked on by blacks growing up, and was thrown off a bridge to drown by a group of them and never got over it.
I can see how that would "color" his opinion of blacks. ;)

And hey - to be brutally honest, I harbored certain feelings toward Hispanics for a number of years for very similar reasons. Took me a long time to rationally work through and beyond that bigotry. But it happened by reminding myself (albeit many, many times) that it was just two individuals, not an entire race I was angry at.

I can see how that would "color" his opinion of blacks. ;)

And hey - to be brutally honest, I harbored certain feelings toward Hispanics for a number of years for very similar reasons. Took me a long time to rationally work through and beyond that bigotry. But it happened by reminding myself (albeit many, many times) that it was just two individuals, not an entire race I was angry at.
...and forgiving those two helped out immensely as well.

It's sad how little some people know about their own political party to be making such racist statements about another.
Is it not true? They don't need the black vote, hence, why bother to address black problems or care about black accomplishments.
If this offends you, let your party know, not me.

A little bit of trash does not a party make. And there's plenty to go around in both. That said, one has a demonstrably definite and long history that's far more despicable - and racist - than what some are trying to paint the Republican party these days.
Whilst you party argues over teaching history of race relations and changes the voting laws that hinder minorities. Sure, they know who's vote they're pandering to, it's not hard to see.
That "little" bit of trash who thrashed the capital, and hunted down a jogger and killed him just l last year were just a blip. lol
White Nationalists are growing, not shrinking in your party and there's a reason, why not figure out why instead of brushing it under the rug and blaming liberals.

Is it not true? They don't need the black vote, hence, why bother to address black problems or care about black accomplishments.
If this offends you, let your party know, not me.
No, it's not true at all.

And frankly, I think its your party that needs this little bit of advice, not mine.

For all the fawning over blacks and all the promises made to them (both sides need their vote, btw), blacks have not progressed so much as an inch under Democrat rule.

Indeed, it's the Democrat Party that has done more to suppress black progress than Republicans ever could.

No, it's not true at all.

And frankly, I think its your party that needs this little bit of advice, not mine.

For all the fawning over blacks and all the promises made to them (both sides need their vote, btw), blacks have not progressed so much as an inch under Democrat rule.

Indeed, it's the Democrat Party that has done more to suppress black progress than Republicans ever could.
Oh sure. lol The Democrats are the majority of blacks party for a reason, because they have a voice in it. It's there party, unlike the right. Things will change, at least in states the left run because there in it, changing things they see wrong with this country, as they should.

I'm sure if Ivey cared, she'd go. She doesn't, and she won't. She's afraid to hear a boo. Maybe she should listen to the reasons for it instead.

"Gov. Kay Ivey will not meet with Vice President Kamala Harris on her trip to Selma this weekend for events commemorating Bloody Sunday. Gina Maiola, the governor’s communications director, said Friday that Gov. Ivey “has other engagements.”

Maiola confirmed that the governor will not attend Vice President Harris’ remarks and will not greet the first Black Vice President when she arrives in Alabama. Instead, Gov. Ivey will participate in a luncheon held by the Alabama Cattlemen’s Association, which is holding a convention and trade show in Mobile. Ivey had confirmed her attendance at the cattlemen’s event before the Office of the Vice President announced Harris’ visit to Selma, Maiola said.

In 2015, when President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama visited Selma for the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday, then-Gov. Robert Bentley attended the event, speaking at the foot of the Edmund Pettus Bridge to scattered boos from the audience."

Link

A Republican governor sees no political advantage in appearing with the first black vice president to celebrate the anniversary of the historic voting rights march. After all the last one was booed for it.
Snub the VP because she's black.

That's alabama for ya.

Is this VP Harris's first visit to Selma?

Why can't people be grown-ups in 2022?

The Vice President of the United States of America comes to your state to commemorate a day that is important to some people.

The governor of the state should definitely greet her, regardless of the former's opinion about that day or regardless of what some or many or even most of the people of that state may feel about that day.

To get along, we must all be hypocritical.

Yes, to get along in many cases, one must go along.

It wouldn't hurt the governor to greet Vice President Harris and smile and say a few platitudes about that day.

Her supporters would understand.

Can you share with us what happened? I had a friend have drugs planted on his vehicle in neighboring Arkansas. After some time in jail, and the local sheriff in the local newspaper calling him a drug dealer that they needed to get off the streets, (He's never even smoked pot or sold drugs), some time in a jail starving with little food (your relatives have to send money to the jail to feed you more than strained oatmeal), and 70,000 dollars later, he is free, but has a criminal record. And he did make several trips from Indiana to Arkansas to see a judge, who didn't bother to show up a couple of times.

I've lived in Georgia and spent some time visiting Florida. You can have those southern ****hole states. I would never want to live down there again. People worry about what could happen to you in Mexico. Hell some of those redneck states are even worse!
I looked at her wrong in her truck. That's all I could ever figure.

My state of Indiana is similar both politically and economically so I think I have a pretty good idea. Not a place I would want to live, and I'm getting out of Indiana once my elderly parents pass as I am the primary caretaker and they are in no shape to move.
May you not move for a long time.

A little bit of trash does not a party make. And there's plenty to go around in both. That said, one has a demonstrably definite and long history that's far more despicable - and racist - than what some are trying to paint the Republican party these days.
Those conservative democrats were terrible, weren't they?

Conflicting events.

Do you change your prior commitments because someone you didn’t invite decides to show up in your town?
Sorry. Anyone can see thru this. She could have easily made accommodations for the VPs event. Stop defending these bigoted republican politicians. You're showing too much of yourself.

Republicans in Alabama don't want black people to vote. The governor is just towing the line. Very transparently I might add.

The Vice President of the United States of America comes to your state to commemorate a day that is important to some people.

The governor of the state should definitely greet her, regardless of the former's opinion about that day or regardless of what some or many or even most of the people of that state may feel about that day.

It wouldn't hurt the governor to greet Vice President Harris and smile and say a few platitudes about that day.

Not much different than the ex-president refusing to attend the inauguration or host the president elect for a meet and greet in the WH. Pretty repugnant, ha.

Nowadays, it has become the GOP way. And no, I don't think her supporters would understand at all. It's why she chickened out.

Not sure if you are being facetious here or not. But, her supporters would not understand. Kay Ivey has no black supporters. The majority of her white supporters are racist rednecks who hate Kamala Harris. MeeMaw will be a lot more comfortable with the cattlemen than with Harris.

Link

Meh

Vice President Kamala Harris should feel relieved!

Besides we all know Republicans cow towing to rich Bull Shitter's would always be preferable to them than doing anything even remotely related to sincerely furthering bipartisanship in America!

;) (y)

Not sure if you are being facetious here or not. But, her supporters would not understand. Kay Ivey has no black supporters. The majority of her white supporters are racist rednecks who hate Kamala Harris. MeeMaw will be a lot more comfortable with the cattlemen than with Harris.
Respectfully disagree.

I have no doubt whatsoever that most Caucasian people in Alabama are not "racist rednecks."

Did some googling. Alabama has 5,000,000 people. And 26% are African American.

I am guessing that in 2022, most of the young people are accustomed to living in a non-segregated society and accept it as a given.

To be frank (but civil), perhaps some of the older people do prefer the older order of things, but they have obviously accepted the changes, for they have no choice.

I agree that probably most of the older people are not interested in celebrating that day, but the governor should have had the guts to attend the ceremony. They would have forgiven her. Her excuse about speaking to cattlemen was just lame.

Why would he meet with the most hated and most unpopular VP in U.S. history?

The poor black folk of Alabama are worried if they can afford to put gas in their car to get to work or the pharmacy for insulin. They worried how they gonna survive this summer heat now that energy costs have doubled.

They worried if they can afford to eat with these high prices at the Piggly Wiggly.

They ain't got time for some token VP raised in Canada who ain't even African-American wanting her photo-op on some bridge.

Respectfully disagree.

I have no doubt whatsoever that most Caucasian people in Alabama are not "racist rednecks."

Did some googling. Alabama has 5,000,000 people. And 26% are African American.

I am guessing that in 2022, most of the young people are accustomed to living in a non-segregated society and accept it as a given.

To be frank (but civil), perhaps some of the older people do prefer the older order of things, but they have obviously accepted the changes, for they have no choice.

I agree that probably most of the older people are not interested in celebrating that day, but the governor should have had the guts to attend the ceremony. They would have forgiven her. Her excuse about speaking to cattlemen was just lame.
I don't believe you understand or know Alabama very well. 68.1% of Alabama is white. 26.6% is black. Leaving about 5% for other races. According to Wikipedia, "Conversely, Trump dominated key Republican constituencies, including 92% among white born-again Evangelicals. Trump also carried 72 percent of Alabama's white vote overall". Trump is a racist and was supported heavily by racists. If you think white born-again Evangelical Trump supporters aren't racist, then, again, you don't understand Alabama. And if you think that the majority (51%) of Kay Ivey's white supporters aren't redneck racist then you don't understand Alabama. A majority of white people in Alabama would represent 35% of whites. Easily 35% of Alabama people are racist rednecks.

I don't believe you understand or know Alabama very well. 68.1% of Alabama is white. 26.6% is black. Leaving about 5% for other races. According to Wikipedia, "Conversely, Trump dominated key Republican constituencies, including 92% among white born-again Evangelicals. Trump also carried 72 percent of Alabama's white vote overall". Trump is a racist and was supported heavily by racists. If you think white born-again Evangelical Trump supporters aren't racist, then, again, you don't understand Alabama. And if you think that the majority (51%) of Kay Ivey's white supporters aren't redneck racist then you don't understand Alabama. A majority of white people in Alabama would represent 35% of whites. Easily 35% of Alabama people are racist rednecks.
Source please

Thank you for your no doubt sincere opinion.

Have a nice day!

Back
Top Bottom