• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alabama Gov. Ivey signs 'constitutional carry' bill

If you can't tell if a person is carrying, then you can't report them to police for carrying illegally (if they are).

How would you know a person is carrying 'illegally?' Are their background checks stuck to their foreheads?

However, if you suspect someone is carrying concealed (and that is illegal) then you CAN report them.

What would lead you to suspect that?

Of course there is a school of thought that NOBODY should be prohibited from owning and carrying a gun. But since that includes children, I'm going to assume you're not one of those 'fundamentalists'.

I'm not aware of anyone that thinks kids (under teens) should own or carry guns, and most people agree that the mentally ill and convicted felons should lose their rights, at least for some period.

So your hyperbole isnt even accurate and you really didnt present any valid reasons to object to concealed carry.

You know, if Alabama, Mississippi, Florida and Texas decide to secede again, I wouldn't miss them a bit.

So there are now 22 states with Const carry. Do any posters here know which ones "based on gun crimes?" Do they have more bloodshed than states that have requirements? States that barely allow it?

As for 'requirements', my state only requires a background check, which is the same thing that's needed when you buy a gun, so not much of a requirement (but I'm fine with that). So it's not really a hurdle, either you can legally own a gun or not. If you can, you can carry it, open or concealed.

You know, if Alabama, Mississippi, Florida and Texas decide to secede again, I wouldn't miss them a bit.

Because they wrote a completely unnecessary law when the Constitution already states that the people's right to keep AND BEAR arms shall not be infringed? That the laws infringing on this right should have never been passed in the first place?

At least the people of that state finally decided to respect the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Now if only California and NY would do the same thing.

If you can't tell if a person is carrying, then you can't report them to police for carrying illegally (if they are). However, if you suspect someone is carrying concealed (and that is illegal) then you CAN report them.

Of course there is a school of thought that NOBODY should be prohibited from owning and carrying a gun. But since that includes children, I'm going to assume you're not one of those 'fundamentalists'.
Why should it be illegal to CARRY a firearm, concealed or otherwise?

Concealed weapons do no harm. Guns only harm people when they're either fired or used as a club or bayonet stick. Constitutional gun laws regulate the improper use of firearms. Mere possession of a thing or substance should never be a crime in itself.

Well, its Alabama.:LOL:

I'm actually sort of surprised the law doesnt require everyone, including children, to carry a loaded gun.

For the safety 'n FrEeDuMbZ$™.

🇺🇸'Murca!!!🇺🇲

hillbilly.gif

It is difficult to see how this law will affect the number of deaths from gunshot that occur in the United States of America.

At present, on average, one person dies of gunshot every half hour. Two people dead each hour. 48 people dead each day. 336 people dead each week. 1,460 people dead each month. 17,500 people dead of gunshot each year.

On average, 17,500 people in the United States of America, dead from gunshot, every year.

Our present laws and their level of enforcement, do not prevent these deaths. 17,500 deaths. Each year.

Regards, stay safe 'n well . . . 'n un-shot.
How many of those are suicides?

How many of those are justified self-defense shootings?

How many of those are accidental shoots with no malice intended? (Think Dick Cheney and Quayle (ahem) hunting.)

Subtract all those out for being irrelevant to the subject of concealed vs open, and then maybe you'll start digging down to useful numbers worthy of further discussion.

More than 17000 people die every year from vehicular accidents. Should we judge the deaths in Tesla cars are more worthy than the deaths from gasoline powered vehicles?

So it's not really a hurdle, either you can legally own a gun or not. If you can, you can carry it, open or concealed.

Its just good common sense.(y)

The more undereducated and under qualified people carrying loaded guns around, the safer everyone will be.

Why cant everyone see this basic bit of truth the way that you and I so easily can?

FFS, lol, I dont belong here. But at least there's about a ZERO% chance I'll ever be in a hole like Alabama again. just no reason to.

To be honest a lot of wives and girlfriends and exes in Alabama need to be carrying guns. Sometimes in bed.

Their husbands and boyfriends and ex husbands gun them down.
Was there a law preventing them from carrying in bed before? Now, if their girlfriend or boyfriend turns violent, they don't need to wait for months for a permit to be able to protect themselves.

Its just good common sense.(y)

The more undereducated and under qualified people carrying loaded guns around, the safer everyone will be.

What other rights do we restrict on those grounds? Now I can see doing so for voting... :rolleyes:

Why cant everyone see this basic bit of truth the way that you and I so easily can?

FFS, lol, I dont belong here. But at least there's about a ZERO% chance I'll ever be in a hole like Alabama again. just no reason to.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Was there a law preventing them from carrying in bed before? Now, if their girlfriend or boyfriend turns violent, they don't need to wait for months for a permit to be able to protect themselves.
Maybe there's gonna be a new law against what they're feeling before they go to bed. Maybe copy Florida.

How many of those are suicides?

How many of those are justified self-defense shootings?

How many of those are accidental shoots with no malice intended? (Think Dick Cheney and Quayle (ahem) hunting.)

Subtract all those out for being irrelevant to the subject of concealed vs open, and then maybe you'll start digging down to useful numbers worthy of further discussion.

More than 17000 people die every year from vehicular accidents. Should we judge the deaths in Tesla cars are more worthy than the deaths from gasoline powered vehicles?
How many of those suicides and accidental shoots would have been avoided?

Maybe there's gonna be a new law against what they're feeling before they go to bed. Maybe copy Florida.
No need. If they want to carry a gun to bed, they can. And always could.

How many of those suicides and accidental shoots would have been avoided?

to commit suicide, a person only needs a revolver and 1 bullet, the most basic thing that could be protected under the 2A without repealing it completely.

So no laws would end suicide by gun and if there were no guns, just as in Japan and other places, there would still be suicides. The rest of us that know our own risks and circumstances AND use them for sport should not be punished by further restrictions that dont actually work. Should we? If so, why?

And that basically goes for accidents too...all it takes is one revolver, 1 bullet.

No need. If they want to carry a gun to bed, they can. And always could.
One would think that would have stopped all the wives, girlfriends and exes from being gunned down.

And yet it hasn't. Maybe they fall asleep or something.

One would think that would have stopped all the wives, girlfriends and exes from being gunned down.

And yet it hasn't. Maybe they fall asleep or something.
I don't know why it would have stopped it. But this law certainly isn't going to hurt their self defense options.

What other rights do we restrict on those grounds?
All "rights" are "restricted" to some degree or another. You're not required to turn your brain off because the topic is guns you know. Did you know that?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

IMO, you dont have any idea what you're talking about either. So its cool. Lots of people dont. Nothing unusual.🤷‍♂️

All "rights" are "restricted" to some degree or another. You're not required to turn your brain off because the topic is guns you know. Did you know that?

Generally with due process. What justifications are you thinking of?

IMO, you dont have any idea what you're talking about either. So its cool. Lots of people dont. Nothing unusual.🤷‍♂️

Ah, more snark. 🤷 I'm here for discussion because I do know this issue.

Good on Alabama.

Woohoo - Nebraska just advanced our own version. Fingers crossed it passes. 🤞🤞

Drove through Nebraska twice.

Good ****ing god why would any human being choose to live there? Just WHY?

You won't ever have to worry about running into me in Nebraska though. You won't see me, I won't see you strutting around with your gunbelt on like its 1800. Good enough for me!

I'm here for discussion because I do know this issue.

No you dont.

You "know" that guns are gnarlee bitchin', and that everyone should be carrying one. Thats all you "know" imo, and I'd wager its all you'll ever "know" about guns.

But its cool, you won't EVAH have to worry about running into me in the Conservative Right-to-Work Utopia of Alabama, so we're good.

iguaranteeit.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom