• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alabama Chief Justice Moore suspended for rejecting legalization of same-sex marriage

beefheart

Ice Cream for Crow?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Talibornagain zealot gets smacked...

Alabama Chief Justice Moore suspended for rejecting legalization of same-sex marriage

Arturo Garcia

06 May 2016 at 22:44 ET

Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore was suspended on Friday for defying the legalization of marriage equality, AL.com reported.

Moore was suspended after the Alabama Judicial Inquiry Commission filed ethics charges against him. Moore will now be tried by the Alabama Court of the Judiciary, and could be removed from the bench if found guilty.

The commission’s move was spurred by complaints by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), which released a statement saying Moore had “disgraced” his position.

“He’s such a religious zealot, such an egomaniac that he thinks he doesn’t have to follow federal court rulings he disagrees with,” said the group’s president, Richard Cohen. “For the good of the state, he should be kicked out of office.”

Moore, who stated last year he would “not be bound” by the Supreme Court’s ruling legalizing same-sex marriages because they change the “organic law” of God, was dismissive of the accusations against him.

“The Judicial Inquiry Commission has no authority over the administrative orders of the chief justice of Alabama or the legal injunctions of the Alabama Supreme Court prohibiting probate judges from issuing same-sex marriage licenses,” he said. “The Judicial Inquiry Commission has chosen to listen to people like Ambrosia Starling, a professed transvestite and other gay, lesbian and bisexual individuals, as well as organizations that support their agenda.”

Re: Alabama Chief Justice Moore suspended for rejecting legalization of same-sex marr

Arturo Garcia

Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore was suspended on Friday for defying the legalization of marriage equality, AL.com reported.

Moore was suspended after the Alabama Judicial Inquiry Commission filed ethics charges against him. Moore will now be tried by the Alabama Court of the Judiciary, and could be removed from the bench if found guilty.

The commission’s move was spurred by complaints by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), which released a statement saying Moore had “disgraced” his position.

“He’s such a religious zealot, such an egomaniac that he thinks he doesn’t have to follow federal court rulings he disagrees with,” said the group’s president, Richard Cohen. “For the good of the state, he should be kicked out of office.”

Moore, who stated last year he would “not be bound” by the Supreme Court’s ruling legalizing same-sex marriages because they change the “organic law” of God, was dismissive of the accusations against him.

“The Judicial Inquiry Commission has no authority over the administrative orders of the chief justice of Alabama or the legal injunctions of the Alabama Supreme Court prohibiting probate judges from issuing same-sex marriage licenses,” he said. “The Judicial Inquiry Commission has chosen to listen to people like Ambrosia Starling, a professed transvestite and other gay, lesbian and bisexual individuals, as well as organizations that support their agenda.”

lol no one has authority over him apparently. He'll be saying that even as guards physically restrain him from entering the courthouse. It's a formality at this point

and i'm not aware of a single probate judge who has followed his orders in defiance of the supreme court. They know too would be removed and held in contempt

i'm sure he'll be voted right back in by his fellow talibornagains in alabama just like the last time he was removed. This is why no judge should be elected. His ravings sound indistinguishable from a southern hick preacher

Re: Alabama Chief Justice Moore suspended for rejecting legalization of same-sex marr

Arturo Garcia

For the vast, vast majority of good Christians it is not the case, but for Judge Moore it seems that he has been determined to become a martyr for his religion. IMHO his base motivation is to be persecuted for his religion.

lol no one has authority over him apparently. He'll be saying that even as guards physically restrain him from entering the courthouse. It's a formality at this point

and i'm not aware of a single probate judge who has followed his orders in defiance of the supreme court. They know too would be removed and held in contempt

i'm sure he'll be voted right back in by his fellow talibornagains in alabama just like the last time he was removed. This is why no judge should be elected. His ravings sound indistinguishable from a southern hick preacher

Alabama.....nuff' said

Arturo Garcia

A majority of the Judicial commission should be removed from office.

The troll patrol says "Hello".

I respect this man's decision..

For the vast, vast majority of good Christians it is not the case, but for Judge Moore it seems that he has been determined to become a martyr for his religion. IMHO his base motivation is to be persecuted for his religion.

nah he was oppressing gay people in that state long before he could've been punished for it. He's just behaving as he always has. His motivation is self serving careerist pig + quite possibly just plain hates homosexuals

I'd like to add that I don't give a fat rat's ass what they do in Alabama. That's up to Alabama. I support their right to decide to live as they want.

Over the years I have spent more than a little time in Alabama. People in Alabama have always treated me well. Alabama has treated me better than a number of other states. There are many fine people in Alabama - except for Auburn. Auburn women are renown for their beauty. The rest of the town sucketh.

I've always made it a personal policy never to discuss race, sexual orientation, the War on Drugs, foreign policy or religion in Alabama. Those subjects always come up but I avoid comment like the plague.

No doubt most of the state of Alabama loves Judge Moore because of his expressed positions on sexual orientation, the War on Drugs, and religion. Fine.

People who agree with the people of Alabama should move there or stay there. Let Alabama be what it wants to be. It's not for me.

delighted to oblige him

I'd like to add that I don't give a fat rat's ass what they do in Alabama. That's up to Alabama. I support their right to decide to live as they want.

well you clearly don't support gay, or any minority, rights then. You could've said the same damn thing during slavery and be just as wrong now. You may as well be pulling the trigger yourself

Over the years I have spent more than a little time in Alabama. People in Alabama have always treated me well. Alabama has treated me better than a number of other states. There are many fine people in Alabama - except for Auburn. Auburn women are renown for their beauty. The rest of the town sucketh.

I've always made it a personal policy never to discuss race, sexual orientation, the War on Drugs, foreign policy or religion in Alabama. Those subjects always come up but I avoid comment like the plague.

they treat you well because you're not one of the targets of their vitriol, and if you were, i suspect that would seriously alter your view of them as "fine people," so it doesn't impress me that you don't give a damn about their targets

No doubt most of the state of Alabama loves Judge Moore because of his expressed positions on sexual orientation, the War on Drugs, and religion. Fine.

he is not remotely qualified to be a judge over a cat and mouse trial, much less a state supreme court, so it's not fine. He's a theocrat FFS

People who agree with the people of Alabama should move there or stay there. Let Alabama be what it wants to be. It's not for me.

yeah right "they're lynching in alabama so move to ohio" aka the unprincipled approach. You win over absolutely no one like this because you fail to realize the talibornagain in alabama want to force their own hate laws onto oregon too, like the constitutional amendment they attempted. It's just that they've failed. Believe me they would not appreciate if you said "i think oregon should do what oregon wants"

the real difference is we are in the right - the need to protect minorities trumps their irrational desire to oppress people who don't impact them at all

I agree. Anyone who refuses to abide by Oberkfell should be removed.

I agree. Anyone who refuses to abide by Oberkfell should be removed.

The people who need to be removed are the ones all the way up the ladder who approve of that illicit debauchery.

The people who need to be removed are the ones all the way up the ladder who approve of that illicit debauchery.

No, those people need to be congratulated. Those that need to be removed are the ignorant morons who have chosen to defy the ruling.

Oh no, we can't have that. If local autonomy is in conflict with "social justice (just-us)" it must be crushed. And crushed with tanks if necessary. Government by consent of the governed is passe'.

No, those people need to be congratulated. Those that need to be removed are the ignorant morons who have chosen to defy the ruling.

Nope. Not in a billion years do you have that right.

Your theocratic leanings are a debauchery of liberty.

Your theocratic leanings are a debauchery of liberty.

Obviously you're not up to speed on that.

Benjamin Rush, a signer of the Declaration of Independence who was also known as the “Father of Public Schools,” once had this to offer: “The only foundation for a republic is…religion. Without it there can be no virtue, and without virtue there can be no liberty.” Don’t miss the significance of that last statement: “..without virtue there can be no liberty….” The principle is clear – a lack of virtue engenders bondage. As one writer noted, “Intemperate men can never be free because their passions give rise to their fetters (bindings).” The more liberties a godless people achieve, the more enslaved they ultimately become in their worldly obsessions.

Still another founding father, the Reverend John Witherspoon, mirrored Benjamin Rush when he declared, “…Civil liberty cannot long be preserved without virtue….”

https://righterreport.com/2011/07/16/the-moral-foundations-of-america-2/

Did Rome survive her carnal hedonism? Nope. So learn the lesson.

Nope. Not in a billion years do you have that right.

Actually, people who defy the ruling DO get removed. So, you are wrong.

And not in a billion years do you have the right to do what you stated. How does it feel to have no power to force others to succumb to your bigotry?

Benjamin Rush, a signer of the Declaration of Independence who was also known as the “Father of Public Schools,” once had this to offer: “The only foundation for a republic is…religion. Without it there can be no virtue, and without virtue there can be no liberty.” Don’t miss the significance of that last statement: “..without virtue there can be no liberty….” The principle is clear – a lack of virtue engenders bondage. As one writer noted, “Intemperate men can never be free because their passions give rise to their fetters (bindings).” The more liberties a godless people achieve, the more enslaved they ultimately become in their worldly obsessions.

Still another founding father, the Reverend John Witherspoon, mirrored Benjamin Rush when he declared, “…Civil liberty cannot long be preserved without virtue….”

All of which is irrelevant to the discussion. I can cherrypick quotes that show that the founders wanted religion out of governing. Guess what that proves? The same thing that your post proved: absolutely nothing. Congratulations. You spent all that time writing a post that was irrelevant.

Oh please...you just want a christian taliban state in the US. Nope...you don't get to. Your selective little anecdotal quotes don't mean squat.

Oh please...you just want a christian taliban state in the US. Nope...you don't get to. Your selective little anecdotal quotes don't mean squat.

I'm trying to remember... was it you who posted a whole mess of quotes from our founders saying how religion should be kept out of government?

I'm trying to remember... was it you who posted a whole mess of quotes from our founders saying how religion should be kept out of government?

Probably...but the theocrat here wouldn't be able to understand it.

All of which is irrelevant to the discussion. I can cherrypick quotes that show that the founders wanted religion out of governing. Guess what that proves? The same thing that your post proved: absolutely nothing. Congratulations. You spent all that time writing a post that was irrelevant.

Sure, CC. Whatever you say. ROTFLOL.

There's another patented beefheart strawman - wanting a 'Christian Taliban state". Do you ever get tired of making up these bizarre, self-serving scenarios?

Back
Top Bottom