• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alabama Chief Justice Moore suspended for rejecting legalization of same-sex marriage

Re: Alabama Chief Justice Moore suspended for rejecting legalization of same-sex marr

Childish? No...its insightful, sorry you can't get it. That is your problem.

There you are. Great. Glad you are here. Now please fill in the blanks on this 'insightful' comment of yours and dazzle me with your knowledge of Christianity and the Taliban by showing me the links between the two. If you cant or wont, then I will just have to assume that it is what it looks like it is--a childish smear. Thanks

Re: Alabama Chief Justice Moore suspended for rejecting legalization of same-sex marr

It is referring to a very specific type of Christians, with a play on words, but which still doesn't include all of those types of Christians who are "born again". Again, a ridiculous argument because he wasn't referring to all Christians nor all born again Christians, just specific types of Christians who want to see us living under a Christian based legal system, much like the Taliban.

Wrong again. But perhaps you will dazzle me with your knowledge of Christianity and the Taliban and tell me in what way the two are even remotely comparable. You wont any more than he will. Why? Because Talibornagain is a childish smear that for some reason you have decided to chime in and support. You, of course, are free to do that, but I am also free to conclude that your credibility is garbage.

Wrong again. But perhaps you will dazzle me with your knowledge of Christianity and the Taliban and tell me in what way the two are even remotely comparable. You wont any more than he will. Why? Because Talibornagain is a childish smear that for some reason you have decided to chime in and support. You, of course, are free to do that, but I am also free to conclude that your credibility is garbage.

do some reading and bone up on the now-common comparison:

https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/20xto4/do_people_commonly_compare_evangelical_christians/

Do Evangelicals simply want to create in America what the Taliban had in Afghanistan?

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2011/07/20117259426336524.html

The Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby once joked that evangelical Christians are like “homophobic European versions of the Taliban”, it has emerged today.
Archbishop of Canterbury once joked that evangelicals are ‘homophobic versions of the Taliban’ · PinkNews

there are theocratic similarities. unfortunately
identical?
in no way
but similar enough to allow non-evangelicals so inclined to mock those having such extreme beliefs
just the way it is

do some reading and bone up on the now-common comparison:

https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/20xto4/do_people_commonly_compare_evangelical_christians/

Do Evangelicals simply want to create in America what the Taliban had in Afghanistan?

America's own Taliban - Al Jazeera English

Archbishop of Canterbury once joked that evangelicals are ‘homophobic versions of the Taliban’ · PinkNews

there are theocratic similarities. unfortunately
identical?
in no way
but similar enough to allow non-evangelicals so inclined to mock those having such extreme beliefs
just the way it is
How about you summarize that in your own words.

There you are. Great. Glad you are here. Now please fill in the blanks on this 'insightful' comment of yours and dazzle me with your knowledge of Christianity and the Taliban by showing me the links between the two. If you cant or wont, then I will just have to assume that it is what it looks like it is--a childish smear. Thanks

I was vacationing in Mexico last few days, so I wasn't really here.

Someone that wants to rule via their holy texts is a theocrat, like the taliban are. Radical zealot christians that want the nation ruled via their holy texts are like taliban, hence the term. Its a great term, it says a lot about the zealots. Its my opinion if you don't like it too bad.

I'm not giving you links to an opinion, but if you can't see the similarities between the zealotry of two religious fringes, then no one is going to be able to explain it to you. Thankfully, religion is being replaced with reason all over the globe. Free thought is winning.

Last edited:

How about you summarize that in your own words.

Jeez, you ask for links, someone gives links, and then you bitch that it isn't in their own words. You are a big boy, you can read his links (which are exactly what you asked for)

FAIL

Last edited:

I was vacationing in Mexico last few days. Someone that wants to rule via their holy texts is a theocrat, like the taliban are. Radical zealot christians that want the nation ruled via their holy texts are like taliban, hence the term. Its a great term, it says a lot about the zealots. Its my opinion if you don't like it too bad.
Nice try. The Taliban happens to be (and you would know this if you were even mildly interested in facts) perhaps the most barbaric group since the Nazis. So any comparison between ANYONE and the Taliban is an ignorant and absurd comparison.

I'm not giving you links to an opinion, but if you can't see the similarities between the zealotry of two religious fringes, then no one is going to be able to explain it to you. Thankfully, religion is being replaced with reason all over the globe. Free thought is winning.
There is no comparison between born again Christians and the Taliban. Any comparison is ignorant, childish or both.
Jeez, you ask for links, someone gives links, and then you bitch that it isn't in their own words.

FAIL
I didn't ask for links.

Nice try. The Taliban happens to be (and you would know this if you were even mildly interested in facts) perhaps the most barbaric group since the Nazis. So any comparison between ANYONE and the Taliban is an ignorant and absurd comparison.

There is no comparison between born again Christians and the Taliban. Any comparison is ignorant, childish or both.
I didn't ask for links.

You asked for the links between the two, and you got links that show the links.

You should be happy now, but I doubt it.

You asked for the links between the two, and you got links that show the links.

You should be happy now, but I doubt it.

You read those links did you? Prior to formulating your opinion? I doubt it, particularly since those links wont open on my computer.

Again, you are doing this, arguing something that wasn't said. No one has said Christianity is comparable to the Taliban. Christianity is comparable to Islam though. The Taliban is an extremist group of Muslims, just as there are extremist groups of Christianity, which include Christians who would like to see Christian law implemented within our nation. They are a small group, much as the Taliban is. Unlike the Taliban, they do not have power, other Christians and non-Christians are not afraid of them and will fight against them implementing control over our legal/justice system. That doesn't change the intent of those particular Christians being basically the same as the Taliban, only instead of implementing Muslim laws, they would implement Christian laws.

You read those links did you? Prior to formulating your opinion? I doubt it, particularly since those links wont open on my computer.

Nothing will change your mind, you are too deep into your dogma to have a rational opinion.

Nothing will change your mind, you are too deep into your dogma to have a rational opinion.

Look who's talking lol. I love liberals who think they aren't dogmatic in their leftism. And anyone who tries to link modern American Christians with the Taliban has no claim to a rational opinion on the subject. Its just a Godwin where Nazis are replaced with the Taliban.

Look who's talking lol. I love liberals who think they aren't dogmatic in their leftism. And anyone who tries to link modern American Christians with the Taliban has no claim to a rational opinion on the subject. Its just a Godwin where Nazis are replaced with the Taliban.

If you have a judge that is ignoring Federal Law and is, instead, using his interpretation of biblical law, then you have a theocrat. We don't do that in America...that is what the Taliban do...but with their Kortanic law.

You are just being purposely ignorant on this, I can't help you. Nothing liberal or conservative about this issue, and nothing Godwin about it, yet, you try to make it be...and you fail miserably.

Last edited:

If you have a Federal judge that is ignoring Federal Law and is, instead, using his interpretation of biblical law, then you have a theocrat. We don't do that in America...that is what the Taliban do...but with their Kortanic law.

You are just being purposely ignorant on this, I can't help you. Nothing liberal or conservative about this issue, and nothing Godwin about it, yet, you try to make it be...and you fail miserably.

He's not a federal judge. He's the Chief Justice of the Alabama STATE Supreme Court.

He's not a federal judge. He's the Chief Justice of the Alabama STATE Supreme Court.

My bad....still...he is refusing to follow actual law.

My bad....still...he is refusing to follow actual law.

Actually no. He's failing to recognize as genuine a SCOTUS decision made by five of the nine SCOTUS justices. A decision even the Chief Justice of the SCOTUS says does not comport with the constitution (see my sig line). In fact, he's following his oath of office.

Btw, unlike the SCOTUS justices, his is an elected position.

Actually no. He's failing to recognize as genuine a SCOTUS decision made by five of the nine SCOTUS justices. A decision even the Chief Justice of the SCOTUS says does not comport with the constitution (see my sig line). In fact, he's following his oath of office.

Btw, unlike the SCOTUS justices, his is an elected position.

So.........you think that 5 of 9 justices voting for something means its not actual law?

REALLY?

So.........you think that 5 of 9 justices voting for something means its not actual law?

REALLY?

No, SCOTUS does not make law. Or at least they're not supposed to. But the issue is what it has been since the beginning, as a justice of the supreme court, state or federal, do they follow their oath of office. That is a matter of conscience. The Chief Justice of the Alabama State Supreme Court went with his reading of the Constitution and decided in order to be in keeping with his oath he would disagree with the decision five US Supreme Court justices made. Interestingly enough, four other US Supreme Court justices felt the same way, one of them also a chief justice.

No, SCOTUS does not make law. Or at least they're not supposed to. But the issue is what it has been since the beginning, as a justice of the supreme court, state or federal, do they follow their oath of office. That is a matter of conscience. The Chief Justice of the Alabama State Supreme Court went with his reading of the Constitution and decided in order to be in keeping with his oath he would disagree with the decision five US Supreme Court justices made. Interestingly enough, four other US Supreme Court justices felt the same way, one of them also a chief justice.

And I bet most if not all of those 4 SCOTUS justices would say that he is wrong for refusing to follow a SCOTUS ruling, since I'm willing to bet none of them would want to open up the possibility that one of their decisions would be ignored in the future, no matter how much they dislike the results of this decision.

And I bet most if not all of those 4 SCOTUS justices would say that he is wrong for refusing to follow a SCOTUS ruling, since I'm willing to bet none of them would want to open up the possibility that one of their decisions would be ignored in the future, no matter how much they dislike the results of this decision.

Agreed. They're not going to blow the court's cover. But I think you have it wrong. Take Roberts (see my sig), I don't think he dislikes the result of this decision. What he dislikes, and should, is the way in which it was made - extra-constitutionally.

Agreed. They're not going to blow the court's cover. But I think you have it wrong. Take Roberts (see my sig), I don't think he dislikes the result of this decision. What he dislikes, and should, is the way in which it was made - extra-constitutionally.

According to him. That is why we have a SCOTUS because people don't always agree what the Constitution means or protects or whose rights are more important.

According to him. That is why we have a SCOTUS because people don't always agree what the Constitution means or protects or whose rights are more important.

Precisely. And that's why we have state's supreme courts, which btw have done a better job of protecting and following their state's constitutions than the SCOTUS has with the federal. Moore is following his oath. I don't agree with his personal stance about homosexuality or bringing the 10 commandments into the public square, but I agree with his defense of the state's constitution. He's also correct in this regard concerning the federal constitution.

Precisely. And that's why we have state's supreme courts, which btw have done a better job of protecting and following their state's constitutions than the SCOTUS has with the federal. Moore is following his oath. I don't agree with his personal stance about homosexuality or bringing the 10 commandments into the public square, but I agree with his defense of the state's constitution. He's also correct in this regard concerning the federal constitution.

I don't agree with it because the states are constantly trying to violate the rights of individuals. Why bother having constitutional protections from a large federal government if the states are just going to violate those rights?

I don't agree with it because the states are constantly trying to violate the rights of individuals. Why bother having constitutional protections from a large federal government if the states are just going to violate those rights?

Which is why the amendment process is what it is, states sign off on amendments. But when the federal court goes extra constitutional, abandoning their oath, the state's courts shield us by sticking by their oaths.

We've had this discussion as to whether the SCOTUS was correct in this ruling, and we disagree. I just don't see the constitutional right of the individual being impacted in this issue. It's a state decision. All the fed can do about that within constitutional boundaries is to threaten to remove or alter federal gimmes to married couples. The US Constitution is silent on this matter and no right is implied.

Further Moore's defense of the Alabama constitution is in keeping with his oath and office. It's precisely what he's elected to do. Unlike the SCOTUS justices who are appointed for life, with the people having no say in the matter, the Alabama Chief Justice is elected and serves a term.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom