• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alabama Chief Justice Moore suspended for rejecting legalization of same-sex marriage

Re: Alabama Chief Justice Moore suspended for rejecting legalization of same-sex marr

There's another patented beefheart strawman - wanting a 'Christian Taliban state". Do you ever get tired of making up these bizarre, self-serving scenarios?

How is he wrong?

Re: Alabama Chief Justice Moore suspended for rejecting legalization of same-sex marr

Oh please...you just want a christian taliban state in the US. Nope...you don't get to. Your selective little anecdotal quotes don't mean squat.

A Christian Taliban state?? Its hard to tell whose hatred runs deeper, yours or the people you rail against. But please explain the similarities between modern Christians and the Taliban.

Justice Scalia, quoting Alexander Hamilton, noted in his dissenting opinion in Obergefell that the Supreme Court must rely on the Executive Branch to give effect to its decisions. Scalia added what Hamilton had not said--that the Court must also rely on the states to give them effect. The majority decision in Obergefell is an illegitimate dictate that expresses the policy preferences of five unelected lawyers and has nothing to to with the Constitution. Obergefell deserves the respect of no one, and I hope more state officials will follow the lead of the Chief Justice of Alabama.

IMHO his base motivation is to be persecuted for his religion.

And leftist loons are more than happy to accommodate him. ;)

Obviously you're not up to speed on the subject. A bit of the Google dance and once again we find that the Christian Dominionist is quote mining in yet another attempt to find support for their theological ideas - beliefs, not ideas

Obviously you're not up to speed on that.

Benjamin Rush, a signer of the Declaration of Independence who was also known as the “Father of Public Schools,” once had this to offer: “The only foundation for a republic is…religion. Without it there can be no virtue, and without virtue there can be no liberty.” Don’t miss the significance of that last statement: “..without virtue there can be no liberty….” The principle is clear – a lack of virtue engenders bondage. As one writer noted, “Intemperate men can never be free because their passions give rise to their fetters (bindings).” The more liberties a godless people achieve, the more enslaved they ultimately become in their worldly obsessions.

Still another founding father, the Reverend John Witherspoon, mirrored Benjamin Rush when he declared, “…Civil liberty cannot long be preserved without virtue….”

https://righterreport.com/2011/07/16/the-moral-foundations-of-america-2/

Did Rome survive her carnal hedonism? Nope. So learn the lesson.

There has been more than one person named "The Father of Public Schools" though Benjamin Rush is among the early holders of the title. A bit more of the quote, without the ellipses, has something interesting to think about - for those capable of thinking

I proceed in the next place, to enquire, what mode of education we shall adopt so as to secure to the state all the advantages that are to be derived from the proper instruction of youth; and here I beg leave to remark, that the only foundation for a useful education in a republic is to be laid in Religion. Without this there can be no virtue, and without virtue there can be no liberty, and liberty is the object and life of all republican governments.

Such is my veneration for every religion that reveals the attributes of the Deity, or a future state of rewards and punishments, that I had rather see the opinions of Confucius or Mahomed inculcated upon our youth, than see them grow up wholly devoid of a system of religious principles. But the religion I mean to recommend in this place, is that of the New Testament.

Funny how modern Christians love to talk about the "massive" growth of Christianity within just a hundred years of the time of Jesus, taking over and abolishing all the pagan beliefs of the Roman Empire; all the while they continue to blame the fall of that empire on "carnal hedonism". Funny that Rome's greatest expansion came during the time of pagan caesars and fell when Christians ruled.

Oh please...you just want a christian taliban state in the US. Nope...you don't get to. Your selective little anecdotal quotes don't mean squat.

Well said!!

The religious right took a body slam this primary season, it's largest casualty, Cruz.

And leftist loons are more than happy to accommodate him. ;)

They will reap what they have sown. How many same sex marriages do you expect to be performed in mosques?

Well said!!

The religious right took a body slam this primary season, it's largest casualty, Cruz.

And possibly Trump. What does Trump have to offer the religious right that Gary Johnson doesn't? At least with a states rights platform, Alabama could refuse to recognize same gender "marriage".

And possibly Trump. What does Trump have to offer the religious right that Gary Johnson doesn't? At least with a states rights platform, Alabama could refuse to recognize same gender "marriage".

I am a gay man, and yes it should be a states right, however, if one is married in CA, that marriage should be recognized in all States.

Who is Gary Johnson?

I am a gay man, and yes it should be a states right, however, if one is married in CA, that marriage should be recognized in all States.

THIS.

The "states rights" advocates are in favour of state-endorsed discrimination against those American citizens who don't comply with their state's legal code. I do not think they quite understand the legal and economic repercussions if they were to attempt such actions against Americans who reside in more welcoming states and just happen to be passing thru or shifting residence for business reasons.

There's another patented beefheart strawman - wanting a 'Christian Taliban state". Do you ever get tired of making up these bizarre, self-serving scenarios?

You are the one that has so much in common with the taliban theocrats. Its sunday, shouldn't you be refraining from wishing people into your hell?

A Christian Taliban state?? Its hard to tell whose hatred runs deeper, yours or the people you rail against. But please explain the similarities between modern Christians and the Taliban.

Oh your faux outrage is hilarious. Theocracies are bad, no matter which phony "god" they pray to.

He will likely be on the ballot in all 50 states and is polling in double digits in spite of very little name recognition.

https://garyjohnson2016.com/

Interesting

I like his views on cannabis, I am a PTSD patient, and cannabis reform is a big issue with me this cycle. I would vote R, but there position is prehistoric on the subject.

Interesting

I like his views on cannabis, I am a PTSD patient, and cannabis reform is a big issue with me this cycle.

Plus his name is neither Trump nor Clinton.

Plus his name is neither Trump nor Clinton.

I am not really familiar with Johnson, but would certainly welcome an alternative to whats on offer.

Oh your faux outrage is hilarious. Theocracies are bad, no matter which phony "god" they pray to.

Who is advocating a theocracy? And your homework on the similarities between Christians and the Taliban is overdue.

Who is advocating a theocracy? And your homework on the similarities between Christians and the Taliban is overdue.

Judge Moore is following his dogma over the law. That is pretty theocratic.

Judge Moore is following his dogma over the law. That is pretty theocratic.

That is not a theocracy. And anyone with principles and integrity puts those principles over the law.

Talibornagain zealot gets smacked...

Alabama Chief Justice Moore suspended for rejecting legalization of same-sex marriage

Arturo Garcia

06 May 2016 at 22:44 ET

Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore was suspended on Friday for defying the legalization of marriage equality, AL.com reported.

Moore was suspended after the Alabama Judicial Inquiry Commission filed ethics charges against him. Moore will now be tried by the Alabama Court of the Judiciary, and could be removed from the bench if found guilty.

The commission’s move was spurred by complaints by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), which released a statement saying Moore had “disgraced” his position.

“He’s such a religious zealot, such an egomaniac that he thinks he doesn’t have to follow federal court rulings he disagrees with,” said the group’s president, Richard Cohen. “For the good of the state, he should be kicked out of office.”

Moore, who stated last year he would “not be bound” by the Supreme Court’s ruling legalizing same-sex marriages because they change the “organic law” of God, was dismissive of the accusations against him.

“The Judicial Inquiry Commission has no authority over the administrative orders of the chief justice of Alabama or the legal injunctions of the Alabama Supreme Court prohibiting probate judges from issuing same-sex marriage licenses,” he said. “The Judicial Inquiry Commission has chosen to listen to people like Ambrosia Starling, a professed transvestite and other gay, lesbian and bisexual individuals, as well as organizations that support their agenda.”

I'm a christian myself but the above bolded statement alone clearly shows he is not fit to be a judge. Just another loon exposing himself.

That is not a theocracy. And anyone with principles and integrity puts those principles over the law.

BS...he is a judge sworn to uphold US law. He is not a religious ruler of a religious theocratic state. He is a zealot and needs to be permanently tossed.

What happens when the principles and integrity of others conflict with your principles and integrity?

He is a freaking judge..and he is sworn to follow the law, not his dogma...

Of course if he was a muslim judge doing the same thing, how would you feel?

Back
Top Bottom