• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Al-Qaida No. 2: Get Set to Fill Iraq Void

robin said:
America made a war where there was none. The upshot is & may well be in the long term, less stability in the region & a greater threat from Muslim Extremists.
How Bin Laden must now love the Bush camp, becuase this is precisely his wish... the USA mired in war on Muslim turf.
The moral is... it's never wise to start wars at the best of times & this one's not even in the right country !

What is the right country? Saudi (a location that the extremists would have preferred)? Iran? Syria? I guess Al-Queda and their affiliates would have stayed clear of those countries...huh? You either still don't get it or you simply do not care to avert from bashing American action in the absence of everyone else's impotence and appeasements. Do you think Bali was because of Iraq? Do you think London was because of Iraq? Do you think Spain was because of Iraq? Do you think Sudan was because of Iraq? Do you think India and Indonesia are about Iraq? Do you think any of this was because of Iraq?.....

1) 1972 Olympics hostage taking of 13 Isreali athletes
2) 1974 attack on an Israeli high school leaving 26 dead
3) 1974 TWA flight bombing killing 88.
4) 1975 Air France plane skyjacked. Israeli special forces rescue all but 3 hostages.
5) 1979 Tehran American Embassy attacked and 66 American hostages held.
6) 1979 Mosque in Mecca seized and 100s of hostages taken. Saudi and French military retake Mosque at a high price.
7) 1979 skyjacking and kidnapping of 66 Americans
8) 1980 Train Station bombing in Italy leaves 80 dead.
9) 1983 Embassy bombing in Beirut kills 63
10) 1983 Gulf Air Flight bombed killing 117.
11) 1983 Beirut Marine Bombing killed 241 Marines and a similar attack on a French barracks killing 58.
12) 1985 TWA Flight skyjacked and 153 civillians held hostage. One U.S. Sailor murdered.
13) 1985 Soviet Diplomats kidnapped and one is killed by Sunni Terrorists.
15) 1985 Egypt Air Flight skyjacked. 60 dead in rescue attempt.
16) 1985 Air India bombed killing 329.
17) 1985 Air Canada Aircraft bombed on the ground killing two in Japan.
18) 1985 Two seperate attacks in two seperate airports in Italy kills 16 total.
19) 1986 TWA bombing by Palestinians blow a hole in the cabin and 4 Americans are sucked out during the flight including one infant.
20) 1986 German Discotheque in Berlin bombed killing 3 U.S. servicemen and 230 others. America bombs Qadhafi in response.
21) 1986 Pan Am Flight hijacked. Terrorist open fire and kill 22 passengers.
22) 1987 North Korean Operatives plant a bomb on Korean Air Flight killing 115.
23) 1987 Barcelona Bar bombed killing 1 service man.
24) 1987 USO in Naples bombed killing 1 service man.
25) 1988 Pan Am Flight bombed killing 259 over Scotland.
26) 1989 UTA Flight bombed killing 170.
27) 1992 Israeli Embassy bombed killing 29.
28) 1993 World Trade Center in New York bombed killing 6 and wounding more than a thousand.
29) 1993 U.S. Army ambushed by Al-Qaeda during Peace Keeping Mission in Somalia.
30) 1994 Jewish Center bombed killing 86.
31) Saudi Arabia military compound bombed killing 40.
32) 1997 Palastinian gunman open fires at the Empire State Building killing one American.
33) 1997 Four U.S. business men are killed in Pakistan.
34) 1998 Two American Embassy bombings by Al-Queda kill 301.
35) 2001 World Trade Center destroyed and Pentagon attacked by three seperate air planes killing almost 3,000 on American soil.

This is a failing civilization and their temper tantrums and inabilities for taking personal responsibilities has resulted in our deaths. make no mistake. There has been a war and until we decided to engage them, their tantrums were going to escalade. It really didn't matter where we started in the Middle East. At least with Iraq, we got rid of Saddam. They aren't simply going to go away.

Last edited:
Stinger said:
Well give me a good reason not to presume it.

Same reason would should not have presumend that Iraq had hundreds of tons of WMDs, long range missles, a nuke program, terrorists training camps, and that the Iraqis would welcome us taking over their country with little resistance, and that we'd be there about 6 months, and the rest of the BS they presumed that got us into this quagmire.

Ireimon: But I don't doubt there is a risk that there could be a radical government much worse than Hussein. To bad nobody thought of that before Mar 03, eh?

I think we did, that's why we need to win, and the left which seems to be supporting the Alqaeda side is not helping us accomplish that are they.

You think Bush went in knowing that there was a good chance that as a result of the invasion Iraq would end up with a radical government worse than Hussein? You could be right, I wouldn't put it past him. But I doubt he gave it that much forethought.

So you imagine the we pull out but still fight them there? I'm sorry but I don't follow your reasoning, what advantage would that be? We'd only have to fight our way back in, start back at square one in trying to get a new government going.

It is much easier to target a government than a guerrilla band.

Why don't we let the Iraqis fight for their own damn government? There's a novel concept.

GySgt said:
It's amazing how eerily close this letter sounds to everything I have been saying for months doesn't it?

Only the truly inept and obtuse will continue to parade around that "everything would be OK if we just apologized and left" or "America's foreign policy is to blame" or "It's not an Islam problem" or.....well, the garbage used by the global left just snowballed to the legion of sheep didn't it?

I certainly don't think "everything will be OK". Everything will not be OK. I'm sure the fallout from this collosal mistake will haunt us for years to come.

GySgt said:
What is the right country? Saudi (a location that the extremists would have preferred)? Iran? Syria? I guess Al-Queda and their affiliates would have stayed clear of those countries...huh? You either still don't get it or you simply do not care to avert from bashing American action in the absence of everyone else's impotence and appeasements. Do you think Bali was because of Iraq? Do you think London was because of Iraq? Do you think Spain was because of Iraq? Do you think Sudan was because of Iraq? Do you think India and Indonesia are about Iraq? Do you think any of this was because of Iraq?.....

4) 1975 Air France plane skyjacked. Israeli special forces rescue all but 3 hostages.
6) 1979 Mosque in Mecca seized and 100s of hostages taken. Saudi and French military retake Mosque at a high price.
11) 1983 Beirut Marine Bombing killed 241 Marines and a similar attack on a French barracks killing 58.
12) 1985 TWA Flight skyjacked and 153 civillians held hostage. One U.S. Sailor murdered.
19) 1986 TWA bombing by Palestinians blow a hole in the cabin and 4 Americans are sucked out during the flight including one infant.
20) 1986 German Discotheque in Berlin bombed killing 3 U.S. servicemen and 230 others. America bombs Qadhafi in response.
28) 1993 World Trade Center in New York bombed killing 6 and wounding more than a thousand.
29) 1993 U.S. Army ambushed by Al-Qaeda during Peace Keeping Mission in Somalia.
32) 1997 Palastinian gunman open fires at the Empire State Building killing one American.
35) 2001 World Trade Center destroyed and Pentagon attacked by three seperate air planes killing almost 3,000 on American soil.

This is a failing civilization and their temper tantrums and inabilities for taking personal responsibilities has resulted in our deaths. make no mistake. There has been a war and until we decided to engage them, their tantrums were going to escalade. It really didn't matter where we started in the Middle East. At least with Iraq, we got rid of Saddam. They aren't simply going to go away.

Was any of it due to Iraq?

Iriemon said:
Why don't we let the Iraqis fight for their own damn government? There's a novel concept.

What is your experience with the world? More specifically with the Middle East?

You know what a "noble concept" is? The concept that no one in the Middle East is lifting a finger against their oppressive governments and as long as they remain passive under the ruling class of extremists and their religious fanatic followers, that we Americans would continue to die. Specifically, civilians.

Iraq is a part of the Middle East.

GySgt said:
What is your experience with the world? More specifically with the Middle East?

You know what a "noble concept" is? The concept that no one in the Middle East is lifting a finger against their oppressive governments and as long as they remain passive under the ruling class of extremists and their religious fanatic followers, that we Americans would continue to die. Specifically, civilians.

Iraq is a part of the Middle East.

Everyon in the Middle east is passive about their oppresive governments, so that is why we should do it?

You know what "self-determination" is? If they got a problem with their govenrment let them revolt and change it. Happens all the time in history.

Iriemon said:
Everyon in the Middle east is passive about their oppresive governments, so that is why we should do it?

You know what "self-determination" is? If they got a problem with their govenrment let them revolt and change it. Happens all the time in history.

So your plan is to continue to ignore them and as more American civilians die....we simply say "oh well...it's just their culture and things will get better when they revolt?"

GySgt said:

So you have listed 35 terrorist attacks over the past 35 year, not one of them attributable to Iraq, and your great strategy for fighting the war on terror is to invade Iraq. Got it.

GySgt said:
So your plan is to continue to ignore them and as more American civilians die....we simply say "oh well...it's just their culture and things will get better when they revolt?"

So you plan is to invade every Islamic country in the world as more Americans die .. and we simply say "do it our way?"

BUSH: I’m not sure the role of the United States is to go around the world and say this is the way it’s got to be. I want to empower people. I want to help people help themselves, not have government tell people what to do. I just don’t think it’s the role of the United States to walk into a country and say, we do it this way, so should you. We went into Russia, we said here’s some IMF money. It ended up in Chernomyrdin’s pocket. And yet we played like there was reform. The only people who are going to reform Russia [Iraq] are Russians [Iraqis]. I’m not sure where the vice president’s coming from, but I think one way for us to end up being viewed as the ugly American is for us to go around the world saying, we do it this way, so should you. I think the United States must be humble and must be proud and confident of our values, but humble in how we treat nations that are figuring out how to chart their own course.

BUSH: I would take the use of force very seriously. I would be guarded in my approach. I don’t think we can be all things to all people in the world. I think we’ve got to be very careful when we commit our troops. The vice president believes in nation-building. I would be very careful about using our troops as nation builders.

BUSH: They ought to look at us as a country that understands freedom where it doesn’t matter who you are or where you’re from that you can succeed. I don’t think they ought to look at us with envy. It really depends upon how [our] nation conducts itself in foreign policy. If we’re an arrogant nation, they’ll resent us. If we’re a humble nation, but strong, they’ll welcome us. Our nation stands alone right now in the world in terms of power. And that’s why we’ve got to be humble and yet project strength in a way that promotes freedom. We’re a freedom-loving nation. If we’re an arrogant nation, they’ll view us that way, but if we’re humble nation, they’ll respect us.

http://www.issues2000.org/2004/George_W__Bush_Foreign_Policy.htm

Just words.

Iriemon said:
So you have listed 35 terrorist attacks over the past 35 year, not one of them attributable to Iraq, and your great strategy for fighting the war on terror is to invade Iraq. Got it.

Again.....your sole focus on Iraq has you blinded. This was only 35 out of numerous more. What's the sense in dealing with the Middle East if we left Saddam alone to continue to torture, murder, and rape and to continue to subject Arabs to the very lifestyle that has breeded terrorism?

Last edited:
Iriemon said:
So you plan is to invade every Islamic country in the world as more Americans die .. and we simply say "do it our way?"

Did I say this was my plan? There are plenty of Islamic countries that haven't been invaded, so I fail to see what you are wrapping your brain around.

...and yes. At this point, if their culture will not do it for themselves, we need to force it.

Iriemon said:

BUSH: I’m not sure the role of the United States is to go around the world and say this is the way it’s got to be. I want to empower people. I want to help people help themselves, not have government tell people what to do. I just don’t think it’s the role of the United States to walk into a country and say, we do it this way, so should you. We went into Russia, we said here’s some IMF money. It ended up in Chernomyrdin’s pocket. And yet we played like there was reform. The only people who are going to reform Russia [Iraq] are Russians [Iraqis]. I’m not sure where the vice president’s coming from, but I think one way for us to end up being viewed as the ugly American is for us to go around the world saying, we do it this way, so should you. I think the United States must be humble and must be proud and confident of our values, but humble in how we treat nations that are figuring out how to chart their own course.

BUSH: I would take the use of force very seriously. I would be guarded in my approach. I don’t think we can be all things to all people in the world. I think we’ve got to be very careful when we commit our troops. The vice president believes in nation-building. I would be very careful about using our troops as nation builders.

BUSH: They ought to look at us as a country that understands freedom where it doesn’t matter who you are or where you’re from that you can succeed. I don’t think they ought to look at us with envy. It really depends upon how [our] nation conducts itself in foreign policy. If we’re an arrogant nation, they’ll resent us. If we’re a humble nation, but strong, they’ll welcome us. Our nation stands alone right now in the world in terms of power. And that’s why we’ve got to be humble and yet project strength in a way that promotes freedom. We’re a freedom-loving nation. If we’re an arrogant nation, they’ll view us that way, but if we’re humble nation, they’ll respect us.

http://www.issues2000.org/2004/George_W__Bush_Foreign_Policy.htm

Just words.

I fail to see what any of this has to do with anything.

GySgt said:
Again.....your sole focus on Iraq has you blinded. This was only 35 out of numerous more. What's the sense in dealing with the Middle East if we left Saddam alone to continue to torture, murder, and rape and to continue to subject Arabs to the very lifestyle that has breeded terrorism?

Is there any evidence that Iraq was behind any terrorist attack?

I know he gave $25k to widows of Palestinians who died fighting Isreal. I know about Abbas and Nidal in Iraq. But is there any evidence he ever was linked to or support an actual terrorist attack?

GySgt said:
I fail to see what any of this has to do with anything.

I agree with him in what would be the most effective way to deal with other countries.

But they were just words. His actions were complete opposite.

Iriemon said:
Is there any evidence that Iraq was behind any terrorist attack?
I know he gave $25k to widows of Palestinians who died fighting Isreal. I know about Abbas and Nidal in Iraq. But is there any evidence he ever was linked to or support an actual terrorist attack?

WTF Dammit? Who the **** cares? Unless the ENTIRE Middle East is addressed, we will not see an end to this mass movement of Islamic extremism. This means ALL of those countries. Iraq was as good a place to start as any. At leats we eliminated Saddam as any kind of threat and we have hope of what a free democratic Iraq has to offer the rest of the region......HOPE.

Last edited:
Iriemon said:
I agree with him in what would be the most effective way to deal with other countries.

But they were just words. His actions were complete opposite.

Maybe because when he got into the Office, he realized what military analysts have been saying since the mid 80's. He reaslized what President Clinton and President Bush Sr. ignored. This "War on Terror", as he dubbed it, is not against a few rogues. It is against a civilization and their unwillingness to put their anchient beliefs down and progress with the rest of the world. Until the embrace change, Islamic terrorism will always be seen as an acceptable form of tantrum to them.

GySgt said:
Maybe because when he got into the Office, he realized what military analysts have been saying since the mid 80's. He reaslized what President Clinton and President Bush Sr. ignored. This "War on Terror", as he dubbed it, is not against a few rogues. It is against a civilization and their unwillingness to put their anchient beliefs down and progress with the rest of the world. Until the embrace change, Islamic terrorism will always be seen as an acceptable form of tantrum to them.

I don't think you fully understand what you are talking about. Without Islamic civilization, their would be no Western civilization. The scientific discoveries and ideas of Islamic civilization form the foundation of our current, modern Western civilization.

TimmyBoy said:
I don't think you fully understand what you are talking about. Without Islamic civilization, their would be no Western civilization. The scientific discoveries and ideas of Islamic civilization form the foundation of our current, modern Western civilization.

I know more than you think....what does any of this have to do with the problems of today? Should we free all of the monkeys from the zoos and thank them for our ancestory? This is precisely the problem. By there inability to grow with the rest of the world and holding on to age old practices of oppression, Islam extremists are making a gory mess of their faith. Fundamentalist terrorism has not arisen despite the progress the world has made, but because of it. The result was predictable, had we been willing to open our eyes. History has seen human beings react to cultural crises by fleeing into cults that sought revenge. Instead of returning to a "pure" Islam, the terrorists are building a blood cult, a deformed offshoot of their faith that revives the most primitive and grotesque of religious practices that many other religions have partaken throughout history. This crisis has never been as intense as in the Middle East, where treasured values and inherited behaviors simply do not work in the 21st century.

Fundamentalist terrorism has not arisen despite the progress the world has made, but because of it.

Very astute observation, Gunny.

TimmyBoy said:
My position, based on what I know, is that Iraq was not a clear and present danger. It is my view that we made a mistake by launching an invasion of Iraq. We wouldn't be in this predicament if we did not invade this country. Al-queda was not strong in Iraq prior to the invasion. However, now that we have invaded Iraq, Al-queda is strong in Iraq and we can't cut and run, because the consequences for cutting and running would be severe and could threaten all of the Middle East and the rest of the world.

Also by invading, we leave ourselves open to where we can't deal with other threats like Iran or North Korea more effectively, which are trying to obtain nuclear weapons while the other one probably does possess some nuclear devices. I believe it was a strategic error, this invasion.

your an American A real one
When your closest of allies says no to Iraq ,and the US uses DU nuclear bombs on them
who ever is for this is a lunatic

I salute you my Fellow N American

Canuck said:
your an American A real one
When your closest of allies says no to Iraq ,and the US uses DU nuclear bombs on them
who ever is for this is a lunatic

I salute you my Fellow N American

Most people keep their pants on and salute with their right hand.......

Originally Posted by GySgt
Bin Ladden is a psycho and it tells us a lot about an individual like you that sees him as some spark of wisdom. Perhaps you need a class on Bin Ladden too? Say the word and I will deliver.

It's not our hostility and since when does America do what a terrorists say's? You would be confusing what Americans do with what Canadians do.

I guess you think that suicidal rampages, because of some American presence is a good reason? WAKE UP!!!!! This is a failing civilization in which they are withdrawing into a blasphemous form of Islam. They are desperate to blame all of their problems on the western world, because self-knowledge is too cruel. They are victims of their own religion and their inabilities to progress with history like everyone else in the world has. There only answer to why history has left them behind, is to blame infidels and to hold tightly to their Koran for salvation and rescue.

Canada does not do preemptive strikes on
third world nations without cause
bin laden is a psycho ? C.I.A. hired BIN Laden and supplied him

A class on bin laden too ? you mean your personal us propaganda on him

bin laden no wisdom ? he master minded (according to you) a plot on the
world’s only super power and buried half of NY

I agree with you the west has been very ARROGANT and has inflamed them because they own what causes so much anguish in the west OIL
if you blame the Koran then you better watch out Detroit has 1ooo;s of
Koran believers
it has always been the west that has tried to put them down first with the crusades and then with England and now with America
THEY HAVE WHAT THE WEST COVETS MOST AND IS THE SOURCE FOR All the West’s problems oil USA has 5% Of the WORLD'S POPULATION BUT USES 25% OF ITS OIL WAKE UP !

11 yr old tortured while his parents forced to look on
Depleted uranium half life 1000 yrs are you guys mental its a third world nation
BINGO
WHO are the terrorists !
For over sixty years, we have worked collaboratively with the United States to ensure the protection of North America. We will continue to build on the successful bilateral Defense arrangements currently in place, such as NORAD and the Bi-National Planning Group. And we will seek to develop new, innovative approaches to Defense co-operation with the United States to better meet the threats to both countries.

Canada says no to USA we do not do preemptive strikes on Third World Nations that are no threat to us or our allies !
What you do to Iraq is Terror and you convince yourself that they are the evil (Iraq) So that you can sleep at night and rewrite history so that your kids do not know your dastardly deeds

you can see the hate for iraq and its people (civilians) in the typical post of a pro war Neocon above
people like that are in Iraq killing and torturing innocent kids

You see the only thing a NEOcon can do is leave sly remarks he has no rebutal because he has no basis for his war and his 6 trillion tax hike

Last edited:
GySgt said:
Fundamentalist terrorism has not arisen despite the progress the world has made, but because of it.

Do you suppose that is the reason we have seen a rise in fundamentalism in this country as well? Luddite reaction?

Canuck said:
Originally Posted by GySgt
Bin Ladden is a psycho and it tells us a lot about an individual like you that sees him as some spark of wisdom. Perhaps you need a class on Bin Ladden too? Say the word and I will deliver.

It's not our hostility and since when does America do what a terrorists say's? You would be confusing what Americans do with what Canadians do.

I guess you think that suicidal rampages, because of some American presence is a good reason? WAKE UP!!!!! This is a failing civilization in which they are withdrawing into a blasphemous form of Islam. They are desperate to blame all of their problems on the western world, because self-knowledge is too cruel. They are victims of their own religion and their inabilities to progress with history like everyone else in the world has. There only answer to why history has left them behind, is to blame infidels and to hold tightly to their Koran for salvation and rescue.

Canada does not do preemptive strikes on
third world nations without cause
bin laden is a psycho ? C.I.A. hired BIN Laden and supplied him

A class on bin laden too ? you mean your personal us propaganda on him

bin laden no wisdom ? he master minded (according to you) a plot on the
world’s only super power and buried half of NY

I agree with you the west has been very ARROGANT and has inflamed them because they own what causes so much anguish in the west OIL
if you blame the Koran then you better watch out Detroit has 1ooo;s of
Koran believers
it has always been the west that has tried to put them down first with the crusades and then with England and now with America
THEY HAVE WHAT THE WEST COVETS MOST AND IS THE SOURCE FOR All the West’s problems oil USA has 5% Of the WORLD'S POPULATION BUT USES 25% OF ITS OIL WAKE UP !

11 yr old tortured while his parents forced to look on
Depleted uranium half life 1000 yrs are you guys mental its a third world nation
BINGO
WHO are the terrorists !
For over sixty years, we have worked collaboratively with the United States to ensure the protection of North America. We will continue to build on the successful bilateral Defense arrangements currently in place, such as NORAD and the Bi-National Planning Group. And we will seek to develop new, innovative approaches to Defense co-operation with the United States to better meet the threats to both countries.

Canada says no to USA we do not do preemptive strikes on Third World Nations that are no threat to us or our allies !
What you do to Iraq is Terror and you convince yourself that they are the evil (Iraq) So that you can sleep at night and rewrite history so that your kids do not know your dastardly deeds

you can see the hate for iraq and its people (civilians) in the typical post of a pro war Neocon above
people like that are in Iraq killing and torturing innocent kids

You see the only thing a NEOcon can do is leave sly remarks he has no rebutal because he has no basis for his war and his 6 trillion tax hike

Why are you so worried about our tax hikes. Your living in the world of corner sitters and cold beer. Since the cost and the tax hikes don't concern you at all. It would seem your only real reason for speaking is your desire to do your candaian duty and bad mouth the US. It would seem virtually none of what happens actualy effects you.

Back
Top Bottom