• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

al Qaeda's Air Force

I couldn't read your sarcasm, do you mean they haven't the desire to, or haven't the capability?

I was suggesting that the argument that we dare not strike syria because we might anger the Islamists is a bit.... late.

I was suggesting that the argument that we dare not strike syria because we might anger the Islamists is a bit.... late.

Oh OK, I agree with that.

That's curious. I look at what MB did in power in Egypt and what Assad did in power in Syria and its quite clear Assad is worse.

It doesn't matter what anybody else does anywhere else. Since we are now going down that path, wait and see. Riots in the streets are not our problem. Terrorism is.

It doesn't matter what anybody else does anywhere else. Since we are now going down that path, wait and see. Riots in the streets are not our problem. Terrorism is.

Your advocacy for non intervention does not condone portraying Assad as a benign autocrat. He's turned Lebanon into a **** hole that is a security risk for Israel (you know, those terrorists in Hezbollah) and (along with his father) has been responsible for the murder of unarmed protesters.

Your advocacy for non intervention does not condone portraying Assad as a benign autocrat. He's turned Lebanon into a **** hole that is a security risk for Israel (you know, those terrorists in Hezbollah) and (along with his father) has been responsible for the murder of unarmed protesters.

I don't believe anybody on this board that is against US military action in Syria is staunch supporters and admirers of al Assad. You can be one without being the other I would hope you know. Aside the fact that Syria under Assad, far from idealistic, is a far cry better than it will be under the terrorist insurgents who are plagued with infighting and damn sure wont agree on a post Assad leadership, A and B, the US has evolved a long way from our constitutional authority of ONLY attacking a country in response to an attack on ourselves. WHY, do so many people support our insane foreign policy of recent years?

I don't believe anybody on this board that is against US military action in Syria is staunch supporters and admirers of al Assad. You can be one without being the other I would hope you know. Aside the fact that Syria under Assad, far from idealistic, is a far cry better than it will be under the terrorist insurgents who are plagued with infighting and damn sure wont agree on a post Assad leadership, A and B, the US has evolved a long way from our constitutional authority of ONLY attacking a country in response to an attack on ourselves. WHY, do so many people support our insane foreign policy of recent years?

That's exactly how he portrayed it - and he used the MB in Egypt as a greater evil. That's absurd with what Assad has done in Lebanon and his murder of protestors over the years - to the point his own army refused to fire on civilians, the guys who originally constituted the rebellion.

You can be against intervention without trying to downplay state sponsors of terror like Assad and Qadaffi.

That's exactly how he portrayed it - and he used the MB in Egypt as a greater evil. That's absurd with what Assad has done in Lebanon and his murder of protestors over the years - to the point his own army refused to fire on civilians, the guys who originally constituted the rebellion.

You can be against intervention without trying to downplay state sponsors of terror like Assad and Qadaffi.

You left the US out of that. The US yes, is sponsoring the terrorists in Syria, even considering coming to their defence with planes and cruise missiles. Now you may not like the syrian government, but its been there for decades and is recognised as legitimate by many other countries, some of which have defence agreements with Syria. This is why you have seen such staunch support from Russia China and Iran. Do you intend to put your life on the line for the terrorist insurgents in Syria? Because you won't be doing it for the civilians (if you'd do it at all) because they are squarely behind Al Assad in their support. The only help they would welcome from you is in crushing the terrorist insurgents threatening their government!

You left the US out of that. The US yes, is sponsoring the terrorists in Syria, even considering coming to their defence with planes and cruise missiles. Now you may not like the syrian government, but its been there for decades and is recognised as legitimate by many other countries, some of which have defence agreements with Syria. This is why you have seen such staunch support from Russia China and Iran. Do you intend to put your life on the line for the terrorist insurgents in Syria? Because you won't be doing it for the civilians (if you'd do it at all) because they are squarely behind Al Assad in their support. The only help they would welcome from you is in crushing the terrorist insurgents threatening their government!

I wonder what scientific polling has been carried out to determine who the population supports?

“The people are sick of the war and hate the jihadists more than Assad,”
a Western source familiar with the data said. “Assad is winning the war
mostly because the people are cooperating with him against the rebels.”
The data, relayed to NATO over the last month, asserted that 70 percent
of Syrians support the Assad regime. Another 20 percent were deemed neutral and the remaining 10 percent expressed support for the rebels.
The sources said no formal polling was taken in Syria, racked by two
years of civil war in which 90,000 people were reported killed. They said
the data came from a range of activists and independent organizations that
were working in Syria, particularly in relief efforts.

http://www.worldtribune.com/2013/05/31/nato-data-assad-winning-the-war-for-syrians-hearts-and-minds/

I wonder what scientific polling has been carried out to determine who the population supports?

LA Times writers said “victory in Qusair was one of a string of recent battlefield successes that has not only improved the government’s strategic position, but also boosted morale among loyalists in the capital and elsewhere.”

A previous article cited a recent NATO study. It shows 70% of Syrians support Assad. They do so for good reason. They’re outraged about foreign intervention.

Western-backed death squads are responsible for mass killing and destruction. They’ve committed appalling atrocities. Syrians want them routed and defeated. They want their sovereignty respected. They want peace and stability restored.

Last edited:
“The people are sick of the war and hate the jihadists more than Assad,”
a Western source familiar with the data said. “Assad is winning the war
mostly because the people are cooperating with him against the rebels.”
The data, relayed to NATO over the last month, asserted that 70 percent
of Syrians support the Assad regime. Another 20 percent were deemed neutral and the remaining 10 percent expressed support for the rebels.
The sources said no formal polling was taken in Syria, racked by two
years of civil war in which 90,000 people were reported killed. They said
the data came from a range of activists and independent organizations that
were working in Syria, particularly in relief efforts.

NATO data: Assad winning the war for Syrians’ hearts and minds | World Tribune

So no data at all then.

Is says, "the data came from.........." What are you talking about? The link is "NATO data"
And you didn't speak to #37.

The Anglo-American press reports on an internal NATO study (dated June 2013), which takes stock of Syrian public opinion [1].

The study shows that 70% of Syrians support President Bashar al-Assad, 20% adopt a neutral position and 10% support the "rebels."

These figures are presented as reflecting a change of heart. The population is tired of the abuses and divisions of the armed opposition. From NATO’s perspective, what we are witnessing is not a phenomenon that is occurring in view of the approaching "Geneva-2" peace conference.

For two years, the events in Syria have been portrayed by the Atlanticist and GCC press as a peaceful revolution cruelly suppressed by a tyrant. The Syrian and anti-imperialist press, on the contrary, brands them as a foreign attack, armed and funded to the tune of billions of dollars.

http://www.voltairenet.org/article178779.html

Is says, "the data came from.........." What are you talking about? The link is "NATO data"
And you didn't speak to #37.

An "unnamed source", "no formal polling", no actual data for perusal from the aid agencies (which aid agencies) involved.

And I didn't speak to #37 because it references the same non-data. And it's hard to take the opinion that the governments position is stronger when the governments supply lines to Aleppo have been cut and they just took another air base there this month.

An "unnamed source", "no formal polling", no actual data for perusal from the aid agencies (which aid agencies) involved.

And I didn't speak to #37 because it references the same non-data. And it's hard to take the opinion that the governments position is stronger when the governments supply lines to Aleppo have been cut and they just took another air base there this month.

Do you support Obama arming and helping Al Qaeda in Syria?

No. Do you support Iran's Revolutionary Guard fighting, arming and helping Assad in Syria?

I do. It makes complete sense, Syria is there ally and they have agreements and obligations there. And the Assad government is a legitimately recognised government, like it or not Ben. Supporting terrorists on the other hand is insane. Did you read the op btw?

Most Syrians back President Assad, but you'd never know from western media
Assad's popularity, Arab League observers, US military involvement: all distorted in the west's propaganda war

Here ya go Ben, here's another poll for ya.

Although the majority of Arabs believe Syria’s President Basher al-Assad should resign in the wake of the regime’s brutal treatment of protesters, fewer Syrians are supportive of an immediate leadership change.

According to the latest opinion poll commissioned by The Doha Debates, Syrians are more supportive of their president with 55% not wanting him to resign. One of the main reasons given by those wanting the president to stay in power was fear for the future of the country.

http://www.thedohadebates.com/news/item/index.asp?n=14312

Here ya go Ben, here's another poll for ya.

Although the majority of Arabs believe Syria’s President Basher al-Assad should resign in the wake of the regime’s brutal treatment of protesters, fewer Syrians are supportive of an immediate leadership change.

According to the latest opinion poll commissioned by The Doha Debates, Syrians are more supportive of their president with 55% not wanting him to resign. One of the main reasons given by those wanting the president to stay in power was fear for the future of the country.

Arabs want Syria's President Assad to go - opinion poll | News | The Doha Debates

Again, there's no data. Where's the polling method? Why is the result so different to the one you previously posted?

Again, there's no data. Where's the polling method? Why is the result so different to the one you previously posted?

Dude! I'm not going to do a "go to meeting" with you. Click the link and read it for yourself. This poll was conducted by Qatar, one of the biggest supporters of regime change in Syria. So you know they were choking on this. So there's a 55-70 spread, NATO's data being 70% and Qatar's being 55%, I understand you want badly to believe the Syrians all want Assad gone, but really they want the jihadists that the west is supporting gone. Try to get on the right, the winning side of this one Ben.

Dude! I'm not going to do a "go to meeting" with you. Click the link and read it for yourself. This poll was conducted by Qatar, one of the biggest supporters of regime change in Syria. So you know they were choking on this. So there's a 55-70 spread, NATO's data being 70% and Qatar's being 55%, I understand you want badly to believe the Syrians all want Assad gone, but really they want the jihadists that the west is supporting gone. Try to get on the right, the winning side of this one Ben.

Sigh, its not Qatar, it's a private organisation based from there. I asked for scientific polling, I get percentages with no basis for how they are reached and numbers varying by 15% at that.

Another reason that the syrian people want the status quo is because their looking around at Egypt Libya and Iraq, and in none of these places are things better than they were! The devil you know....................

Back
Top Bottom