• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Akin will not withdraw from Senate race

tryreading

Steve
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Don't see a link anywhere yet. He announced this at a press conference a few minutes ago.

Kind of a selfish clown, isn't he?

Don't see a link anywhere yet. He announced this at a press conference a few minutes ago.

Kind of a selfish clown, isn't he?

Probably no more selfish than any other politician seeking re-election. Apparently the Republican Party couldn't find a cushy corporate job for him to slide into. I'm not surprised. Those that spoke against him so vehemently in public may have sung a different tune on the phone.

Probably no more selfish than any other politician seeking re-election. Apparently the Republican Party couldn't find a cushy corporate job for him to slide into. I'm not surprised. Those that spoke against him so vehemently in public may have sung a different tune on the phone.

No, he has caused damage. I doubt the Republicans want him to stay in his race. They sure aren't helping him campaign now, and have created a lot of distance from him.

And his opponent is hosting a party to celebrate the announcement :lol:

he needs a rape...

No, he has caused damage. I doubt the Republicans want him to stay in his race. They sure aren't helping him campaign now, and have created a lot of distance from him.

I agree with you basically. I know they've pulled funding....at least I think I remember that. But most people vote straight party, so he's just liable to ride coat tails anyhow.

I agree with you basically. I know they've pulled funding....at least I think I remember that. But most people vote straight party, so he's just liable to ride coat tails anyhow.

Yeah, the far Right will still vote for him. But he's probably lost most voters in the middle.

What is really bad he might have caused the GOP to lose the Senate...He was ahead of his democratic opponent before his comments......I hope they can get and able replacement.............

What is really bad he might have caused the GOP to lose the Senate...He was ahead of his democratic opponent before his comments......I hope they can get and able replacement.............

He's not dropping out. There's no replacement.

Strangely enough, I agree with you my right wing friend. He certainly made it a lot easier for the Democrats to hold this seat.

Somehow, I forsee tape of this playing on an almost endless loop. I feel bad for Missourians.

And his opponent is hosting a party to celebrate the announcement :lol:

I know if I was advising his opponent I would raise a glass or two in his honor tonight. :mrgreen:

What's really interesting is even after saying the most idiotic thing in the history of man he is only 10 points behind the Dem.

I also find that surprising sawyer...that either speaks on just how unpopular McCaskill is...or how much to the right the district has become...

Look...Akin could have easily spent the last week attacking the issues, and expanding the contrast between him and McCaskill (who's been HORRIBLE for Missouri). But no...Akin made himself out to be the attention whore he is. This "press conference?" There was no "news" in it. Just Akin whoring for publicity.

I can't stand McCaskill, but I totally understand how moderates can be shying away from Akin. He's 100% "establishment." Just another suit craving power. These aren't the type of people who we want to make important decisions.

He's foolish in so, so many ways. First, his comments were asinine. I think we all agree to that. Now he's being strategically foolish by hurting his party. Ann Coulter was on Hannity talking about maybe getting a write-in Republican candidate. However, that would likely split the vote, making it easier for the Democrat to win. If I were a Republican, I would be furious with this guy.

He's foolish in so, so many ways. First, his comments were asinine. I think we all agree to that. Now he's being strategically foolish by hurting his party. Ann Coulter was on Hannity talking about maybe getting a write-in Republican candidate. However, that would likely split the vote, making it easier for the Democrat to win. If I were a Republican, I would be furious with this guy.

The guy may be an asshat, but hes a republican asshat. This means Repblicans might want to reconsider dumping him. The Democrates if they were in the same situation wouldnt bat an eye standing behind their guy no matter how stupid they are. Hell they already do with most of their canidates. His opponet if she were running unopposed would have a hard time winning she is so disliked. So might be the best play is to back him. Besides it would piss off the democrates.:fueltofir

The guy may be an asshat, but hes a republican asshat. This means Repblicans might want to reconsider dumping him. The Democrates if they were in the same situation wouldnt bat an eye standing behind their guy no matter how stupid they are. Hell they already do with most of their canidates. His opponet if she were running unopposed would have a hard time winning she is so disliked. So might be the best play is to back him. Besides it would piss off the democrates.:fueltofir

I disagree. I think they're doing the smart thing by cutting off their support to him. That's really all they can do. They've condemned him and cut off financial support, but they don't have the authority to order him not to run. They could, as Ann Coulter suggested, try a write-in candidate, but that would likely split the vote and make it hard for them to win. However you slice it, it's tough for them to win. The only other thing I can think of is a back room deal where they pay him to step down, but I'm not even sure if that's even legal. He might even be stupid enough to not take the money.

I disagree. I think they're doing the smart thing by cutting off their support to him. That's really all they can do. They've condemned him and cut off financial support, but they don't have the authority to order him not to run. They could, as Ann Coulter suggested, try a write-in candidate, but that would likely split the vote and make it hard for them to win. However you slice it, it's tough for them to win. The only other thing I can think of is a back room deal where they pay him to step down, but I'm not even sure if that's even legal. He might even be stupid enough to not take the money.

If hes not gona back down then thats a sign hes got at least some backbone, even if he is dumb. The smart counter intuitve play is to step on the trottle so to speak and back him to the hilt. Otherwise you have a GARANTEED lose. At least this way you still have a chance. Besides the canidate he is running against is a dilweed anywho. Hes got a better chance than we think. The knee jerk reaction is what is gona get the lose.

He just said what they all think. An 'able' replacement will just be better at PR, bet your life.

Why? He's running on the wacko extremist platform that supposedly represents today's GOP. The GOP is hypocritical in asking him to withdraw. He is your poster child.

Back
Top Bottom