• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Airport security blocks 0% of bombs.

The Pi Pirate

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11863165/

WASHINGTON - Imagine an explosion strong enough to blow a car's trunk apart, caused by a bomb inside a passenger plane. Government sources tell NBC News that federal investigators recently were able to carry materials needed to make a similar homemade bomb through security screening at 21 airports.

In all 21 airports tested, no machine, no swab, no screener anywhere stopped the bomb materials from getting through. Even when investigators deliberately triggered extra screening of bags, no one discovered the materials.
From MSNBC.

How safe are we, really? How can we fix this?

Excellent. Now the government is providing tips to would-be terrorists.

The Real McCoy said:

Are they sure the screeners were not busy searching 80 year old grandmas from china instead of searching actual potential suspects when the bomb making materaisl were smuggled past sercurity?

jamesrage said:
Are they sure the screeners were not busy searching 80 year old grandmas from china instead of searching actual potential suspects when the bomb making materaisl were smuggled past sercurity?

What, presumably white Federal Investigators? :doh

jamesrage said:

It's worse than that. In the report I saw- some of the packages with bomb material were rigged to set off detection and closer inspection. Even when looking closely at the luggage, the bomb making materials made it through security checks.

The Real McCoy said:

Its naive to think the terrorists don't already know our weak points. It is part of their expertise to learn these things. The only people who don't know about these problems are us, until someone decides to tell us. Our government knows, the terrorists know, but until we know, very little or nothing will be done about the problem. We have to know these things, they must be publicized, or we discover, again, too late, that the Homeland Security department does not know what its doing, and we'll discover that when we need it most.

vergiss said:
What, presumably white Federal Investigators? :doh

I would think a younger white investigator carrying a suspicious package would be a more likely suspect than a old senior citizen.

jamesrage said:
I would think a younger white investigator carrying a suspicious package would be a more likely suspect than a old senior citizen.

Yes.

But why would they not inspect him, over the elderly citizen? There's no uproar about ageism at airports, particularly when they're suspicious.

tryreading said:
Its naive to think the terrorists don't already know our weak points. It is part of their expertise to learn these things. The only people who don't know about these problems are us, until someone decides to tell us. Our government knows, the terrorists know, but until we know, very little or nothing will be done about the problem. We have to know these things, they must be publicized, or we discover, again, too late, that the Homeland Security department does not know what its doing, and we'll discover that when we need it most.

tryreading

Don't you understand that intelligence doesn't exist beyond the Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf of Mexico or 49th parallel? :shocked2:

BWG said:
tryreading

Don't you understand that intelligence doesn't exist beyond the Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf of Mexico or 49th parallel? :shocked2:

Sorry, my mistake, how could I be so wrong?

Noticed that you are on the Gulf Coast, but that's a huge range. Were you affected by the storms last year?

tryreading

LOL..:lol:

Texas.
No, but I have relatives in and around the Biloxi area. One cousin lived on the Back Bay of Biloxi. Nothing left but the slab. The others, range from severe house damage to fallen trees and missing shingles, but no one was hurt.

Some parts look just like the day after and others are coming along OK. It'll take a long time to fully recover, but it will happen. I lived there when Camille hit so I know they will rebound.

Thanks for asking. :thanks:

BWG said:
tryreading

LOL..:lol:

Texas.
No, but I have relatives in and around the Biloxi area. One cousin lived on the Back Bay of Biloxi. Nothing left but the slab. The others, range from severe house damage to fallen trees and missing shingles, but no one was hurt.

Some parts look just like the day after and others are coming along OK. It'll take a long time to fully recover, but it will happen. I lived there when Camille hit so I know they will rebound.

Thanks for asking. :thanks:

My aunt moved to Gulfport shortly after Camille went through. She sent pictures of boats, big big boats, sitting in the middle of town, and other nightmarish images. I'm glad she didn't move there before the storm.

vergiss said:
Yes.

But why would they not inspect him, over the elderly citizen?

pc nonesense proably.They were proably afraid the white guys could have been christians,jews or some other group that might have been "offended" Instead of saying hey lets search the suspicious men over there, They search the old lady so that it appears they are not discriminating against anyone.Perhaps tey are worried that the ACLU will file a lawsuits if sercurity uses Behavioral Profiling.
Oh wait they already have filed a lawsuit to challenge behavioral Profiling.
http://www.aclu.org//safefree/general/18765prs20041110.html

jamesrage said:
pc nonesense proably.They were proably afraid the white guys could have been christians,jews or some other group that might have been "offended" Instead of saying hey lets search the suspicious men over there, They search the old lady so that it appears they are not discriminating against anyone.Perhaps tey are worried that the ACLU will file a lawsuits if sercurity uses Behavioral Profiling.
Oh wait they already have filed a lawsuit to challenge behavioral Profiling.
http://www.aclu.org//safefree/general/18765prs20041110.html

Do you always blame everything on some great PC conspiracy?

How about the "How can we fix it" part of the OP? Any ideas?

vergiss said:
Do you always blame everything on some great PC conspiracy?

How do you explain airport sercurity searching old ladies and other non-suspicious people while other people were able to smuggle bomb making material?

Why is the ACLU filing lawsuits agaist Behavioral Profiling?

Back
Top Bottom