• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Airline bans Bibles to avoid offending Muslims

I am sooo rofl. When and where did I EVER pass judgement of any form on their society/culture? i didn't. I'm a strong believer in using the correct words to describe a situation. And no matter the social/mental stigma other people attach to the word degrade it is STILL a perfectly rational useage to describe a major facet of Islamic society. Yes it also describes many others. The fact that some are offended by that is not a reflection on me but on them. Traditionl/fundamental Muslim culture/beliefs DO have a degraded viewpoint when comparing men to women. That IS a cultural fact. You are free to ascribe your own positive(some people highly value this viewpoint and see it as the most rtional one) or negative interpretations to that fact, but it is still just a fact open to interpretation. And please don't ascribe your interpretations of that fact to me. If I want to praise or debase the Muslim religion I am perfectly capable of doing it on my own and will not be ambiguous about it should such a time occur.

vergiss said:
Blind man - that's only parts of the Middle-Eastern Muslim world, you realise. Women in Muslim nations such as Turkey, Malaysia and Indonesia are treated equally under the law. A woman was even the president of Indonesia before the current president.

Under the law being a very important operative word. I've not been to Malaysia or Indonesia but i can assure you that women face a cultural degredation of status in comparison to men in the minds of many Turks. (before I have to reply pay close attention I never said all.) That's a simple cultural fact and yet again is not representative of personal bias in one way or another.

Blind man said:
Under the law being a very important operative word. I've not been to Malaysia or Indonesia but i can assure you that women face a cultural degredation of status in comparison to men in the minds of many Turks. (before I have to reply pay close attention I never said all.) That's a simple cultural fact and yet again is not representative of personal bias in one way or another.

Hah, yeah, but sexism and the degredation of women occurs even in the West. Simple cultural fact, or unfortunate idiocy on the part of individuals?

vergiss said:
Hah, yeah, but sexism and the degredation of women occurs even in the West. Simple cultural fact, or unfortunate idiocy on the part of individuals?

your absolutely correct, it does exist in the west. And if you want it to I don't see why it can't be both. Just remember there are still a great many people who find that degredation the most rational and simple solution to a myriad of differences between the sexes. What is idiocy to some is the smartest course of action to others.

*edit* no matter what it is a cultural fact, whether its idiocy depends largely on the person observing said culture.

Last edited:
vergiss said:

So, then it is safe to say that women being mistreated in the Islamic world isn't so much the teaching of Islam as it is a cultural phenonmon just like in the West. As a matter of fact, we can also say that without Islamic civilization, their could be no Western civilization and that Islamic civilization gave more rights to women long before Western civilization ever did.

Axismaster said:
There goes the liberal
Whats it to you? Ya damned Nazi
supporting dictatorship out of "cultural differences."
Can you Accurately Quote me on where I said I supported dictatorships??? Im assuming you can't because you did the typical conservative thing and twisted my words around to fit in well with your stereotype of anyone who you think is a "liberal".
Well I oppose it on all grounds and all forms of restrictive religion, Muslim, Christian, Jew or otherwise. And if anyone from any religion tries to impose his views on me, I will make sure I am the last thing he sees before he enters the presence of his god or godess.
Yes, Killing people. Excellent display of character...... Are you SURE your not STILL a Neo-Nazi???????

ANAV said:
A British airline has banned Bibles, crucifixes, and Teddy Bears from flight to Saudi Arabia. But the most outrageous thing is that they mandate female flight attendants to walk behind males and wear a abaya (that Muslim garb that covers women from head to toe).
Appearently I missed something, but WTF does a "Teddy Bear" have to do with Christianity?

They don't want to offend the Muslims with Christian religious symbols, but don't take away my Teddy Bear.
Exactly! If for instance if the plane was being crashed by an Arabian Terrorists, I WANT TO DIE WITH MY DAMN TEDDY BEAR!

I suppose a privately owned company enforce its own policies, but forcing another religion on women (or anybody) is just wrong. They are saying "You cannot support the God you worship, but you must follow the degrading practices of a religion that you do not practice."

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=48269
I'm confused of their logic? Seriously? :confused:

It looks like the article has been updated since I first read it on WND:
Some of the male members who are homosexual have called in sick, because they are afraid of traveling to Saudi Arabia, where homosexual activity is punishable by flogging, jail or death.
Now, for those crying foul against Christianity being surpressed, how do you feel about this as well?

shuamort said:
Saudi Arabia is a rather dangerous place to be a non-Muslim. It's worse to be a Christian. Lookie here:

Now, does it make sense to you that an airline warn these folks not to wear their religion on their sleeve if they should choose this route? Yes, it does to me. I'm thinking that this is less about sensitivity to the Muslim faith and more about the CYA ideal of a corporation not wanting the high insurance premiums of having their flight crew subjected to the problems elucidated in my source. The airline is attempting to mitigate the problems before they get worse. And considering that BMI just starting flying to Riyadh a couple of months ago (and are the only British airline to do so), they're attempting to insure a monopoly.

I agree with you in some ways.

First of all, this is the original article.

Secondly, this passage was not reproduced in the first post:

"The religious police are everywhere and suspicious of foreigners.

"A few weeks ago a female member of staff was stopped after her baggage went through the Xray machine because they thought she had a sex toy in her suitcase.

"They threw all her stuff across the floor and found it was only a hairbrush. There was no apology. It really upset her."

Yes, they are visibly reacting to a situation that could have been very dangerous for one of their staff.

But not allowing staff to opt out is also a problem (not that they still could have any female staff on such flights, IMHO).

Now, the REAL problem here is Saudi Arabia and Wahabism.

Just my 0.02€
Y

PS: For what concerns the Teddy Bears:

Saudi Arabia's strict laws enforced by the religious police - the Mutaween - ban the public practice of Christianity, churches and Christian religious materials, and figures of animals, including toys.

This country is slow moving into PC Stupid overload

Calm2Chaos said:
The real PC is to treat and trade with a regime like the Saudi regime, the Chinese regime, the Burmese regime, etc..

Y

epr64 said:
The real PC is to treat and trade with a regime like the Saudi regime, the Chinese regime, the Burmese regime, etc..

Y

We can always boycott them. Course then we get blamed for anyone that gets sick and dies.... Not really sure what this has to do with the title of the thread though

Calm2Chaos said:

Try reading the article for once. It's a British airline.

vergiss said:
Try reading the article for once. It's a British airline.

Ewwww ... Snitty aren't ya .....

Ya got me.. I didn't read the article :(

Shame on me

Calm2Chaos said:
We can always boycott them. Course then we get blamed for anyone that gets sick and dies.... Not really sure what this has to do with the title of the thread though
Right, not a lot to do with the tile of the thread.. as long as the title of the thread isn't right :)

Boycott doesn't mean UN sanctions forbidding meds and life-supporting equipments.

But yeah. You get blamed for everything, huh?

Y

epr64 said:
Right, not a lot to do with the tile of the thread.. as long as the title of the thread isn't right :)

Boycott doesn't mean UN sanctions forbidding meds and life-supporting equipments.

But yeah. You get blamed for everything, huh?

Y

Everything? NA... And I really don't care what we get blamed for. Ya don't like it do it on your own and stop bitching. If you can't then make your deals and live with it. Far as I am concerned if we shouldn't trade with them fine. Cut off everything and let them sort out there problems on there own

Calm2Chaos said:
Everything? NA... And I really don't care what we get blamed for. Ya don't like it do it on your own and stop bitching. If you can't then make your deals and live with it. Far as I am concerned if we shouldn't trade with them fine. Cut off everything and let them sort out there problems on there own
C2C, I boycott them since quite a time. My car is sleeping in a garage and comes out every so often.

All the Saudi regime has is oil and sand. Limit your oil consumption, and you will boycott them efficiently. It's good for your country, for the freedom in the world, for your health, for your money, for women's rights, for Xians rights,.. Only advantages.

As far as sand is concerned, you have it first hand on your shores :) .

Peace.
Y

Back
Top Bottom