• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Airbnb?

Grand Mal

Russian warship, go f*** yourself!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Any experience with them? We're looking at spending winters in warmer places and Airbnb looks at first glance to be a convenient way to find long-term rental accommodation. I don't know anyone who's used them as a guest, though one guy here uses them as a host and says good things.
We're talking about Mexico or Panama or Chile or Argentina, places like that. Portugal, maybe. But I just hope to get general comments about how reliable they've been.

I'm in one right now in the U.S. This is my first experience with airbnb and I've had one experience with VRBO. Both have been fine. This one is better than the VRBO house was. This house is very comfortable and very clean and everything is in good working order. One issue is you really don't know much about the neighborhoods if you haven't visited the city before but you can research that.

Look for super hosts, they have highest ratings for their rentals. I've used AirBnB in the states and throughout Europe. You need to be super picky and careful when choosing European locations. There are a lot of misrepresented properties.

I'm in one right now in the U.S. This is my first experience with airbnb and I've had one experience with VRBO. Both have been fine. This one is better than the VRBO house was. This house is very comfortable and very clean and everything is in good working order. One issue is you really don't know much about the neighborhoods if you haven't visited the city before but you can research that.
Thanks.
If you don't mind, are you booked long-term? More than a month, I mean, and how far in advance did you book? We're looking at three or four months, maybe not all in the same place, but we're wondering how far in advance we should book the high season, which looks like Jan.-Feb. Depends, I guess, on how popular the location is and the specific house.
Sounds like you're satisfied that the rental is satisfactory, as advertised.

We’ve used them a couple of times for weekends in Tempe, AZ and Ocean Shores, WA. Good experiences both times, we even checked in late at Ocean Shores due to traffic and they were very cool and kept the office open a bit later so we could get the key.

Any experience with them? We're looking at spending winters in warmer places and Airbnb looks at first glance to be a convenient way to find long-term rental accommodation. I don't know anyone who's used them as a guest, though one guy here uses them as a host and says good things.
We're talking about Mexico or Panama or Chile or Argentina, places like that. Portugal, maybe. But I just hope to get general comments about how reliable they've been.
We stayed in one in Berlin (one week) and one in Brugge (three nights). Both worked out fine. It was nice to be in a real apartment rather than a stale hotel room. Both made it easy to get the key and get settled in. It was easy to email the owners to get our questions answered. In both cases we were able to get nice apartments in great locations. They had fully equipped kitchens which is a great money-saver when travelling, but they were less expensive than upper-middle class hotels. Once Covid is over we're going to London and Paris and are planning to use AirBnB again.

Look for super hosts, they have highest ratings for their rentals. I've used AirBnB in the states and throughout Europe. You need to be super picky and careful when choosing European locations. There are a lot of misrepresented properties.
I have a friend who ran into big problems in Venice. He rented a two-bedroom and was given a studio. He spent the better part of his first two days in Venice getting a place his whole family could move into. So yeah, it's not a perfect system.

I have had good luck with VRBO (was Home away) in Hawaii and Florida. Will never use a hotel for vacation again.

Thanks.
If you don't mind, are you booked long-term? More than a month, I mean, and how far in advance did you book? We're looking at three or four months, maybe not all in the same place, but we're wondering how far in advance we should book the high season, which looks like Jan.-Feb. Depends, I guess, on how popular the location is and the specific house.
Sounds like you're satisfied that the rental is satisfactory, as advertised.
This booking was for nine days and was a last-minute booking. I'm only here for half of it - as other friends will be arriving as I leave. The booking was made only days before. It's not the first choice of location within the city due to being last minute, but it's a very comfortable house. There are loads of towels and a well supplied (with good knives, spices, dishes, etc.) and clean kitchen. There is a second set of sheets in each bedroom so I'll be able to change sheets and wash them prior to someone else using my room, when I leave tomorrow.

We have had good luck with them in Sedona and Carlsbad, CA, and Kona, Hawaii, and even in LA.

Its like anything, you take your risks.

For Mexico, use VRBO. For Panama, shit, you can get nice digs cheap. I stayed at hostels in Chile and Argentina...back when I had no money but free flights...

Prior to Covid we did annual road trips in the US, Canada and Europe. We have used VRBO extensively without any issue but it has always been for 1 or 2 bedrooms at the most. Friends have had a different experience when booking accommodations for larger groups. Intuitively, but not factually, it appears that the homes are geared to a certain type shall we say?

Used AirBnB for a month in Italy a few years ago and have a place in Malta paid for through Vrbo. I did have someone try to scam me through another site (can't remember which one) but I had backed out of the deal before they got any money out of me. I HIGHLY recommend this type of service if you're the type of traveler that likes to get out and join the local population. If you're more of the "I miss American McDonald's" type of traveler then stick to hotels.

Have used it plenty of times. The owners seem to care more about their property and reputation than through the other sites like VRBO. More personal attention on average. Granted this has all been inside the U.S. but highly recommend nonetheless.

I’ve done it quite a bit in Europe, a bit in the US.

Always a good experience. Carefully look at the properties, ask questions if necessary, and give strong preference to the super hosts- the usually make the process very easy.

Way, way better than hotels, for sure.

Ive always used hotels when I travel (hate having to do lots of research, and with hotels there's very little chance of getting scammed), but maybe I ought to change that outlook.

Ive always used hotels when I travel (hate having to do lots of research, and with hotels there's very little chance of getting scammed), but maybe I ought to change that outlook.
Well,if you like having a kitchen and living room, and are staying in one spot for a few days, its waaaay better. And almost always cheaper

Well,if you like having a kitchen and living room, and are staying in one spot for a few days, its waaaay better. And almost always cheaper
Thats true enough. I tend to just eat out when I travel and prefer to have somebody do all the housecleaning and stuff for me.

I'd like to ask, do the owners require you to clean up before you leave or can you just leave the used sheets and stuff lying around? What's the usual method?

Used AirBnB for a month in Italy a few years ago and have a place in Malta paid for through Vrbo. I did have someone try to scam me through another site (can't remember which one) but I had backed out of the deal before they got any money out of me. I HIGHLY recommend this type of service if you're the type of traveler that likes to get out and join the local population. If you're more of the "I miss American McDonald's" type of traveler then stick to hotels.
Malta is a fun little place, isn't it?

Thats true enough. I tend to just eat out when I travel and prefer to have somebody do all the housecleaning and stuff for me.

I'd like to ask, do the owners require you to clean up before you leave or can you just leave the used sheets and stuff lying around? What's the usual method?
No- no real cleaning. You just leave.

I mean, you dont trash the place, and do your dishes, etc.

Malta is a fun little place, isn't it?
I hope so. I paid for the place in Feb, 2020 with the idea to be there that July. Due to a certain set of circumstances I still haven't made it!

This booking was for nine days and was a last-minute booking. I'm only here for half of it - as other friends will be arriving as I leave. The booking was made only days before. It's not the first choice of location within the city due to being last minute, but it's a very comfortable house. There are loads of towels and a well supplied (with good knives, spices, dishes, etc.) and clean kitchen. There is a second set of sheets in each bedroom so I'll be able to change sheets and wash them prior to someone else using my room, when I leave tomorrow.

You're a very good tenant, gbg3! (y)

Lucky you!

Given its ''Euro/Mediterranean' 'Island' status, I always expected Malta to have a ridiculously high cost of living. I was surprised to find out it appears to have a fairly moderate & reasonable cost of living (barring some 'brought in' items, I assume?).

Sounds like a great get away!

You're a very good tenant, gbg3! (y)
These are family of my friend - those who will be arriving. There are a few groups coming to visit my friend over these 9 days so it's her family I'm being polite to rather than the owner. They'll need beds to sleep in and they certainly deserve fresh sheets. I tidied up up the room quite nicely for them.

These are family of my friend - those who will be arriving. There are a few groups coming to visit my friend over these 9 days so it's her family I'm being polite to rather than the owner. They'll need beds to sleep in and they certainly deserve fresh sheets. I tidied up up the room quite nicely for them.

"Shh" . . . , don't tell anyone! Just bask in the glow of our praise! ;)

I live out of Airbnbs since it's cheaper than rent and utilities over here on a month to month basis.

Out of the 15 reservations I've done:

One had my parked car banged into,
One said I need to not talk so much to others who want peace and quiet,
One said I left the place dirty, but I got that review removed since we had plenty of conversation on the app which was friendly and I was never told on the app that I made a mess,
One claimed it was 100 ft away from a railway line on the very VERY bottom of the description which I took as a light rail line since it was near uptown in a city and my previous reservation was nearby, but it turned out to be a freight train line that woke me up in the middle of the night, and
One had a roommate who smoked pot in the middle of the night nextdoor on a regular basis so I had to ask for an air filter to get installed.

IOW, one out of every three reservations goes awry in some way or another.

Now to be fair, the places I reserve with are economy class hosts. They're at the level of your typical 2-3 star hotel as far as accommodations are concerned. I'm not looking for much.

You can find better places than what I reserve, but understand that hosts typically tend to not preview their properties because they know their locations are in demand. What you should do is inquire, not book, with 5 hosts and ask them all to preview so at least one of them gives you a preview and that preview turns out alright. By preview, I mean try to go on Zoom or Skype or some other video call. Ask to see the bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and parking in real time. You do not want to get stuck with affording damages from a previous guest because a host might have had one who trashed the place before you arrived.

When you do check-in, make sure you take pictures of every room you're using, check the shower, check the bed, and check the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom