• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Air Travel down 75% yet gun confiscation rates triple

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The TSA screened around 75% fewer passengers last month compared with July 2019 but found guns at three-times the rate at the same rate last year.

The agency didn’t give a reason for the uptick, but Jeffrey Price, air travel safety expert and a professor at Metropolitan State University of Denver, said the increased rate could be driven by higher gun sales in recent months or more efficient screening with fewer passengers.

Firearm background checks totaled 3.6 million in July, up about 80% from a year ago, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The TSA last month found just over 15 guns per 1 million people screened, compared with a rate of 5.1 million guns per 1 million people. Eighty percent of the guns were loaded, TSA said.

“TSA is diligently working to ensure our employees and passengers are safe and secure while traveling during a pandemic, and yet we are noticing a significant increase in loaded firearms coming into checkpoints,” TSA Administrator David Pekoske said in a news release. “Travelers must understand that firearms are prohibited items at airports and in the passenger cabins of aircraft. As hard as we are working to mitigate other risks at this time, no one should be introducing new ones.”

The TSA said recommended penalties for violating firearm rules start at $2,050 for an unloaded gun and $4,100 for a loaded gun.

TSA: July air travel down 75% from 2019 but gun confiscation rates triple

My recommendation for the TSA: Up the penalty for violating firearm rules: It should start at $5,000 for an unloaded gun and $10,000 for a loaded gun.

There is absolutely no reason trying to sneak a gun on a plane. Oh, I forgot! Really?

Due to the nature of their job, Transportation Security Administration agents are not law enforcement officers. As a result, TSA agents have no authority to arrest passengers at a security checkpoint. ... Therefore, a TSA agent can ask travelers to stop and wait for a law enforcement officer to take action in a situation.

From TSA

Passengers may transport unloaded firearms in checked baggage if they are transported in a locked, hard-sided container and declared to the airline before traveling. Read the requirements for transporting firearms and ammunition. In addition, local and state governments, and other countries, may have their own rules on firearm possession or transportation. As a result, prohibited items may result in both a TSA civil enforcement action and a criminal enforcement action.

Last edited:
Due to the nature of their job, Transportation Security Administration agents are not law enforcement officers. As a result, TSA agents have no authority to arrest passengers at a security checkpoint. ... Therefore, a TSA agent can ask travelers to stop and wait for a law enforcement officer to take action in a situation.

And what does this have to do with the thread or article?

And what does this have to do with the thread or article?

Your own OP speaks of the TSA.

My direct quote is about the same TSA

Are you saying an airline passenger has the right to bear arms ?

Probably confusion about what a concealed carry permit allows in most cases I would imagine.

Sounds like a bunch of stupid, uneducated, misinformed losers.

I tend to think it has to do with the decreased volume that is allowing more detailed screenings resulting in the uptick.

Everybody knows you can't take guns on a plane.

I bet the fine on that is sky high, if not jail time.

Probably confusion about what a concealed carry permit allows in most cases I would imagine.

Shouldn't a responsible gun own take the time to educate themselves?

I wonder what cities the airports are located in that are seeing such a large rise in people caring guns on planes.

There are enough signs saying you can't take a gun on a plane, another example of the stupidity of gun owners

I wonder how many got prosecuted ?

I assume it's a felony and bang goes your right to own a gun.

Everybody knows you can't take guns on a plane.

I bet the fine on that is sky high, if not jail time.

You can't carry them on planes. You can take them in your checked luggage if they are unloaded.

Well this is easy to sort out:

1. Only an idiot would try to carry a firearm through a TSA checkpoint.
2. Only an idiot would fly now if they didn't absolutely have to.

It all adds up.

Sounds like a bunch of stupid, uneducated, misinformed losers.

don't you feel that way about all lawful gun owners?

don't you feel that way about all lawful gun owners?

Pretty much all gun owners suffer from insecurity. They feel the need to own a firearm to compensate for something in their life. Maybe they aren't getting it from their wife. Maybe they feel emasculated at work.....

Pretty much all gun owners suffer from insecurity. They feel the need to own a firearm to compensate for something in their life. Maybe they aren't getting it from their wife. Maybe they feel emasculated at work.....

that sort of idiocy is what we expect from the bannerrhoid movement. It has nothing to do with public safety or crime control-it is all about a cultural hatred-founded upon lies, that the anti gunners engage in.

Well this is easy to sort out:

1. Only an idiot would try to carry a firearm through a TSA checkpoint.
2. Only an idiot would fly now if they didn't absolutely have to.

It all adds up.

There are a lot of idiot gun owners trying to fly with heat. They probably get liquored up before the flight.

Back
Top Bottom