• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Air Conditioners Contribute to Global Warming

Carbon credits are bull****!

Yeah, it's just another way to create a middle man that sucks money from the economy while providing no useful service.

Addendum: Or has heat-generating equipment in it.

Apparently "We should make deliberate effort to reduce wasteful practices" is too tough a concept for some people to grasp, so they have to nitpick as much as possible.

No, my company has done a lot to reduce wasteful energy usage.
Installed reflective roofing, motion sensitive lights, the whole shebang.

They still run have to run the A/C units 24/7 most of the year.

Building design can help a lot towards keeping cool, but after all these decades of energy use growth, we still build stupidly. Look up Architecture 2030 for a plan that will make our buildings more energy efficient, if you are interested in that kind of thing.
We have 2 homes, live in AZ during the winters, northern Utah in summers.
Both are dry climates, most of the year.
In Utah, we can open the basement windows at night, and the house will cool down nicely by morning, too cool sometimes. The basement will easily reach low 60s, main floor mid 60s.
We then close the windows, and the house stays nice til late afternoon or so, then we might need a little AC. We have altitude in our favor as well. It might get to 95 during the day, but it often gets to 60 or less at night. Try finding that kind of temperature swing in a coastal city, or the midwest, or the southeast.
Humidity is the bigger issue. High humidity makes for smaller temperature swings.

No, my company has done a lot to reduce wasteful energy usage.
Installed reflective roofing, motion sensitive lights, the whole shebang.

They still run have to run the A/C units 24/7 most of the year.

*facepalm*
Energy consumption that is integral to operations wouldn't fall under "wasteful," now would it? WORDS MEAN THINGS.

Phoenix

a good read on what happens when New York architects design a building for the Phoenix , AZ area. Skip past the Sandra Day O'Connor bio to read about the buiding named after her.

*facepalm*
Energy consumption that is integral to operations wouldn't fall under "wasteful," now would it? WORDS MEAN THINGS.

Yea I was originally responding to mega about how hot is it and the use of an a/c.
You seem to be find ways to be rude but offering little else.

Manners, get them.

Yea I was originally responding to mega about how hot is it and the use of an a/c.
You seem to be find ways to be rude but offering little else.

Manners, get them.

Apoligies then. Seeing as how you quoted my post I assumed it was directed at me.

Don't worry Cap and trade is coming but Reid says it is not cap and trade
MG_119.gif

Reid warms to July climate vote - Darren Samuelsohn - POLITICO.com

Last edited:
Did you oppose cap and trade when George H W Bush enacted it in 1990?

edit: and a mandatory cap on emissions might not even make the bill, in which case "cap and trade" would be an incorrect label.

YES! (ok - so it's not directed at me)
But Cap and Trade is freaking STUPID and solves *0* problems :shrug:

Why not just cap - why permit the trade?

It's a wool-veil measure just like Obama's 1200 troops to the border. It's made to *look* like you care and give a damn but in the end it had little impact on the actual problem.

Bandaids anyone!

YES! (ok - so it's not directed at me)
But Cap and Trade is freaking STUPID and solves *0* problems :shrug:

Why not just cap - why permit the trade?

It's a wool-veil measure just like Obama's 1200 troops to the border. It's made to *look* like you care and give a damn but in the end it had little impact on the actual problem.

Bandaids anyone!

Republicans liked the trading part because it's more of a free market solution. :shrug:

As far as "solving 0 problems," you are demonstrably wrong. Sulfur Dioxide emissions dropped drastically as a result of that legislation, and acid rain with it.

Last edited:
Republicans liked the trading part because it's more of a free market solution. :shrug:

As far as "solving 0 problems," you are demonstrably wrong. Sulfur Dioxide emissions dropped drastically as a result of that legislation, and acid rain with it.

touche.

But they would have droped *more* if they couldn't trade their 'points' off.

touche.

But they would have droped *more* if they couldn't trade their 'points' off.

Yes, that is true. On the other hand, they'd be screaming about government takeovers and lost jobs even louder. ;)

Yes, that is true. On the other hand, they'd be screaming about government takeovers and lost jobs even louder. ;)

But by this point we would have recovered and no one would give a ****.

Clean Air Act (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 1990 amendment created a cap and trade system for sulfur dioxide.

Was left up to the states

Although the 1990 Clean Air Act is a federal law covering the entire country, the states do much of the work to carry out the Act. The EPA has allowed the individual states to elect responsibility for compliance with and regulation of the CAA within their own borders in exchange for funding. For example, a state air pollution agency holds a hearing on a permit application by a power or chemical plant or fines a company for violating air pollution limits. However, election is not mandatory and in some cases states have chosen to not accept responsibility for enforcement of the act and force the EPA to assume those duties.

Sulfer dioxide is more dangerous than most green house gases

Carbon credits are bull****!

What do you mean? Gores Carbon Exchange scam...err...program just bought Tipper a 12 million dollar mansion on the west coast!

I want a piece of that...I actually talked to several of the golf courses I play at regularly about signing a 'lease' for all their trees, then selling off credits to all the morons in the city...let them buy their conscience to carbon neutrality.

Using your computer right now to read this message is contributing to global warming! Your computer uses energy, which results on CO2 being emitted. Stop your reckless and irresponsible internet browsing habits.

Using your computer right now to read this message is contributing to global warming! Your computer uses energy, which results on CO2 being emitted. Stop your reckless and irresponsible internet browsing habits.

I have a better, even more hyperbolic idea. Let's blow up the sun. Then we wont have a problem with warming!

Back
Top Bottom