• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Air America

AIR AMERICA President of Programming and co-COO Jon Sinton said in a release: "We regret that a produced comedy bit that was in bad taste slipped through our normal vetting process. We do acknowledge that it was an internal error and internal discipline will be enforced."

Rhodes apologized for the skit on Wednesday. "It was a bit,? Rhodes said. ?It was bad. I apologize a thousand times."

Yeah this is a pile all right. It accomplished exactly what they wanted which was more publicity.

26 X World Champs said:
Let's hope that the left never lowers itself to that level.

Once again hopes are dashed without mercy.

UNHINGED LIBERAL PRODUCTS FOR SALE
By Michelle Malkin · April 12, 2005 07:15 AM
Yesterday, Drudge linked to a nasty anti-Tom Delay t-shirt being hawked at Cafe Press. The shirt urged the GOP congressman to commit suicide. Sold by artist Christopher Godwin, the product has now been removed (though you can still see it on Cafe Press's search engine complete with the caption "We can dream, can't we?").

Not to worry. There are plenty of other hate-filled, liberal knick-knacks and apparel items still on sale.

ShootOfficers3.gif

It is not just low class. This is no class.
People that associate with and support these types of fanatics need a serious time out.

I agree, akyron. The left has been the leader in hate speech since I have been on the planet. Supporters try to rewrite history and fool themselves into believing the left are the good guys. At some point in their life the bubble will be burst. That is why the Republicans have control right now. The baby boomers have grown up.

Squawker said:
I agree, akyron. The left has been the leader in hate speech since I have been on the planet. Supporters try to rewrite history and fool themselves into believing the left are the good guys. At some point in their life the bubble will be burst. That is why the Republicans have control right now. The baby boomers have grown up.

There may be some truth to what you’re saying. But you’re also turning a blind eye at the same time to the tactics of some people on the right. Seems to me the last time a building was blown up in this country, by an American, it was done in Oklahoma by a self pro-claimed right wing, pro-religious, pro-gun rights person. Certainly wasn’t a liberal or someone on the left side of things.

Excellent point Pac... lets not forget some of the other fun neo-conservative groups and people like the KKK, Strom Thurmon, Skin Heads, Right Wing Militia groups, Branch Dividians, Joe McCarthy, The John Birch Society and thousands more... this wasn't hate talk... these people were hate in action.

Contrarian said:
Excellent point Pac... lets not forget some of the other fun neo-conservative groups and people like the KKK, Strom Thurmon, Skin Heads, Right Wing Militia groups, Branch Dividians, Joe McCarthy, The John Birch Society and thousands more... this wasn't hate talk... these people were hate in action.
It’s fairly easy to prove that one side or the other is totally out of touch with reality by pointing to specific people or incidents. Then ignore the ones that don’t support you’re case. In stats it’s called “Gleaming” or “Creaming.”

Lately just about every time I turn on right wing radio I hear how the left is always doing these completely inappropriate actions. I’m sure they do. Just as I’m certain things like that are done by the right all the time too. Hmmm, Linda Ronstadt concerts any one?

But I never hear about any one on the left killing anyone. I have heard about right wing people tying homosexuals up to fences and beating them death. Or dragging black men behind their pick-up trucks. Or blowing up buildings because they didn’t like how the Clinton Administration dealt with the Branch Davidians.

lets not forget some of the other fun neo-conservative groups and people like the KKK, Strom Thurmon, Skin Heads, Right Wing Militia groups, Branch Dividians, Joe McCarthy, The John Birch Society and thousands more... this wasn't hate talk... these people were hate in action.
I can't let this one fly, Contrarian. The Southern Democrats were the majority of the KKK members. Strom Thurmond was a Democrat when he was a segregationist. Bob Byrd was a Leader of the KKK and he is still held in high esteem in the Senate. Branch Dividians were a hate group? First I heard of it. Who are the Skin heads and right wing militia groups you speak of? What specifically did Joe McCarthy and the John Birch Society do?

>> Seems to me the last time a building was blown up in this country, by an American, it was done in Oklahoma by a self pro-claimed right wing, pro-religious, pro-gun rights person. Certainly wasn’t a liberal or someone on the left side of things.

Don't speak too quickly, there are lots of leftest environmentalist groups out there blowing up buildings and engaging in terrorist activities. And let's not forget the leftist groups of the 60's and 70's which engaged in violence and criminal acts. In fact one could probably point to many more such acts by the left than the right, for instance the protest against the World Bank in Seattle, the protest at the Dem/Rep Conventions, can you point to anything like that from the right?

>> I’m curious as to who would listen to this and if maybe I just turned into a bad show. Has anybody else listened to Air America?

I've tried but it is incessantly boring. And to try and increase ratings they hired Jerry Springer?

>> But the arguments against the President, Dobson, and Frist that the radio host was proposing were, to put it nicely, ignorant. Facts were glaringly missing and it seemed to be striving more for shock value than any type of intelligible discourse.

Exactly.

>>
Yeah, I’ve listened to them. If you’re liberal you’ll love them, if you’re not you’ll hate them. They do exactly what Rush, Hannity and Fox News does.

No they don't and that is exactly the point. There are some liberal radio shows I listen to and enjoy, because they have something to say other than Bush Lied! NO WMD! and offer an informed opinion.

Air America does not. It's a shame that they are blowing it, they are even losing what audience they had. They just don't get it, people want to hear solid positions, firm proposals, and uplifting conversation. They are just a bunch of out of work comedians spouting the same thing over and over. Bush is STUPID! NO WMD! Bush loves THE RICH!

Squawker said:
I can't let this one fly, Contrarian. The Southern Democrats were the majority of the KKK members. Strom Thurmond was a Democrat when he was a segregationist. Bob Byrd was a Leader of the KKK and he is still held in high esteem in the Senate. Branch Dividians were a hate group? First I heard of it. Who are the Skin heads and right wing militia groups you speak of? What specifically did Joe McCarthy and the John Birch Society do?

I wasn't differentiating Dem from GOP. The comparison was right wing vs left wing. They come in all flavors and shapes.

The Branch Dividians were a pseudo religious sect subjugating a large group of people and defying the law as it specifically related to firearms etc. I don't recall saying they were a "hate" group.

Look up Sen Joe McCarthy... just your average right wing zealot who stepped all over the civil rights of Americans. Destroyed lives in his witch hunt for communists in the name of patriotism. Ditto for the John Birch Society a neo conservative group that prayed and persicuted with broad stroke. They are probably now working under the umbrella of evangelical political factions.

Stinger Don't speak too quickly said:
Did I miss that on the news? Even Fox hasn't reported attacks on loggers in the northwest lately!

I guess it is old news like the bombing of abortion clinics, or the murders of physicians who perform abortions... I would dare say those acts were not carried out by liberal members of Green peace.

As Fant pointed out a few times. No violence is excusable. Evil is evil regardless of its political leanings.

Stinger said:
>>
Yeah, I’ve listened to them. If you’re liberal you’ll love them, if you’re not you’ll hate them. They do exactly what Rush, Hannity and Fox News does.

No they don't and that is exactly the point. There are some liberal radio shows I listen to and enjoy, because they have something to say other than Bush Lied! NO WMD! and offer an informed opinion.

Air America does not. It's a shame that they are blowing it, they are even losing what audience they had. They just don't get it, people want to hear solid positions, firm proposals, and uplifting conversation. They are just a bunch of out of work comedians spouting the same thing over and over. Bush is STUPID! NO WMD! Bush loves THE RICH!

You are right on many levels but I respectfully disagree when it comes to Randy Rhodes. She may be a big mouth but she does her homework and references most of her rants. She is rough around the edges, but she gets facts before she opens her mouth because she knows it is a common "debate" tactic of the right wing to site minusia and challange the opponent to counter it. She does a good job whether you like her politics or not.

Pacridge said:
Yeah, I’ve listened to them. If you’re liberal you’ll love them, if you’re not you’ll hate them. They do exactly what Rush, Hannity and Fox News does. Only they do it in the opposite direction. Anything that makes the President look and sound bad ends up on the air. And stats or facts that don’t make him look bad it doesn’t end up on the air. Same thing the right wing conservative media did with Clinton. They do exactly what Fox does for converatives. They tell their listeners exactly what they want to hear. It isn't news.

I'm a transplant Californian living in the bible belt. I have been both a registered Democrat and Republican in my lifetime and am now happily non-partisan. However, most of my neighbors are Democrats with liberal leaning ideas and nearly unconditional support for their party. They, the ones that have heard Air America and that I have talked to are apalled. This is not the voice they want for their party or liberal views anymore than they want Howard Dean to lead their party. These are Democrats I talk to and there are few Republicans in my area of the country to the point that many of our important local races have no one but a Democrat running.

Your statement that they do "exactly what Rush, Hannity and Fox News does" is the epitomy of ludicrous. I have heard with my own ears Rush Limbaugh praise Hillary Clinton, Tom Daschel, Richard Gephardt and other prominent Democrats when he agrees with them. I have heard Sean Hannity do the same both on radio and TV. I have seen Fox News Channel at least provide a voice from the left and sometimes ONLY a voice from the left to support or attack a story the network is doing. It seems to me you know little of these personalities or the FNC.

Air America on the other hand says not a single word of praise or agreement with President Bush and offers no venue for anyone to disagree other than callers they can hang up on. Their favorite thing is to refer to our President with profanity and name calling of the lowest form. Our Miss Rhodes had none other than Ralph Nader hang up on her when she suggested that he was just running to prevent a Democrat from winning. When he took issue with that she attempted to talk him down and he noted that. She continued and he hung up for lack of being able to participate.

Apparently you didn't pay much attention to the FNC during the last years of President Clinton. Those such as Biden, Kennedy, Dorgan, Daschle, Gephardt, Sanders, Franks, Conyers, Sharpton and the distinguished Terry McAuliff were given nearly if not completely equal time on the Fox News Channel to air their views, argue and debate. The only voice of conservatives are the callers to Air America and then they are called names from profane to simply insulting.

Your view of conservatives and liberals and their supposed outlets for only their side would be well spent with words about Air America but, you should listen to Rush or Hannity a little more. When I have heard Rush Limbaugh give credit to Hillary Clinton for a vote or statement and then I listen to the propaganda on Air America - well PACRIDGE? It makes me wonder about your view and maybe your participation in bias as well.
:duel :cool:

I happen to know that our dear friend Pac is a reasonable and "balanced" guy. I for one and I'm sure he agrees, listen to both groups and realize there is a modicum of reality and a huge dose of perception on respective sides. The thing most people neglect to realize is that these shows and commentators are entertainment not objective reporting.

As to your comment about Ms Rhodes, it is deplorable if it were a serious professional news reporting venue... but it's not. I have "heard with my own ears" the same type of treatment doled out to guests on O'Reilly, Hannity and Rush. There is even the infamous Zell Miller blow up (he challenged him to a duel! :duel ) after the GOP keynote speech, with Chris Matthews who did absolutely ZERO to prevoke him. Now he's selling books after his retirement from the Senate... a nothing guy with 15 minutes of fame

It's all show biz kids... so get over it.

Last edited:
Contrarian said:
I happen to know that our dear friend Pac is a reasonable and "balanced" guy. I for one and I'm sure he agrees, listen to both groups and realize there is a modicum of reality and a huge dose of perception on respective sides. The thing most people neglect to realize is that these shows and commentators are entertainment not objective reporting.

As to your comment about Ms Rhodes, it is deplorable if it were a serious professional news reporting venue... but it's not. I have "heard with my own ears" the same type of treatment doled out to guests on O'Reilly, Hannity and Rush. There is even the infamous Zell Miller blow up (he challenged him to a duel! :duel ) after the GOP keynote speech, with Chris Matthews who did absolutely ZERO to prevoke him. Now he's selling books after his retirement from the Senate... a nothing guy with 15 minutes of fame

It's all show biz kids... so get over it.

To consider network news "show biz" is mostly correct. To presume that someone should "get over it" is definitely a kids point of view. There are those of us here that take the news seriously and, may I say, from a purely adult point of view. I have spent time in my life active in politics and have worked for news and entertainment organizations, i.e. radio and television. I have also been on the receiving end of reporting that slants while my very life was on the line. I have nothing to get over; just the need to understand and in my own way, try to improve.

You know the method that Chris Mathews uses and if you do you would have to realize that a person that wasn't one on one with him could be very confused by a question being asked but not being allowed to answer. Zell Miller was on a remote without a monitor. Mathews is famous for asking the question, letting the guest get 6 words out and stepping on the guest to add to the question. Zell Miller's 15 minutes of fame which includes two terms as Democrat Governor of Georgia, Democrat United States Senator and a lifetime of political office and activitism as a Democrat could have exceeded 15 minutes. The term "15 minutes of fame" was certainly not intended by Andy for a career and although it may be appropriate in some circumstances it hardly is here. For you to say that Mathews did "zero" to provoke Senator Miller is fantasy. I was watching the entire program and interview.

And you have NOT "heard with my own ears" the same profanity, name calling and screaming at the top of her lungs duplicated on O'Reilly, Hannity or Rush. Not even by the most liberal guest on any of these programs have you heard the likes of Miss Rhodes. To equate "femi-nazi" used as a label for a mindset with Rhodes actually calling individuals she is talking to the names she uses may be fair to a degree but it is who she is using the epithets on; the people needed to sustain the show; her audience. If I put the words here you would see *****, ******* and ********.

The reason why a Rush Limbaugh or other conservative voice can command the stations and size of audience they do is because of ratings that are turned into sales tools to increase coverage and attract sponsorship. That is exactly what Air America can't do with their programing because their programming doesn't attract an audience and therefore doesn't attract ratings. This is a simple premise and if you don't get it you have nothing to get over.
:duel :cool:

Contrarian said:
You are right on many levels but I respectfully disagree when it comes to Randy Rhodes. She may be a big mouth but she does her homework and references most of her rants. She is rough around the edges, but she gets facts before she opens her mouth because she knows it is a common "debate" tactic of the right wing to site minusia and challange the opponent to counter it. She does a good job whether you like her politics or not.

I listened to her this afternoon and in a matter of about 15 minutes she made the insinuation that the Bush administration had a part in 9/11, that of course it was all a lie, that every conservative is a religious zealot and insult after insult without one intelligent thing to say. Of she even got in a reference to Republicans being the party of Hitler.

Air America is talking themselves right off the air America! The liberal line, based upon insult and embelishment, just can't attract the audience to keep it going. Hammering away at stories or even lies that the rest of the country has let fade into the past shows a grip on non-reality. I for one think that is too bad. I'd like to see a liberal network prosper and survive which I think would shine a light on the New York Times and ABC's of the news media. Birds of a biased feather. :duel :cool:

gordontravels said:
Air America is talking themselves right off the air America! The liberal line, based upon insult and embelishment, just can't attract the audience to keep it going. Hammering away at stories or even lies that the rest of the country has let fade into the past shows a grip on non-reality. I for one think that is too bad. I'd like to see a liberal network prosper and survive which I think would shine a light on the New York Times and ABC's of the news media. Birds of a biased feather. :duel :cool:

Heard a guy on the ABC news talk on my XM the other day. He was a liberal and held to his views and ACTUALLY STATED PRINCIPLES. Now I disagreed with him but his show was entertaining and quite listenable. I think his last name was Green. Too bad Air America can't find host like him. I tried again several times this week to listen to Franken and Rhodes (forget Springer) and again they spout nonsense and are factually incorrect on most topics when they even bother to try and discuss facts instead of just spewing personal insults. Too bad.

Stinger said:
Don't speak too quickly, there are lots of leftest environmentalist groups out there blowing up buildings and engaging in terrorist activities. And let's not forget the leftist groups of the 60's and 70's which engaged in violence and criminal acts. In fact one could probably point to many more such acts by the left than the right, for instance the protest against the World Bank in Seattle, the protest at the Dem/Rep Conventions, can you point to anything like that from the right?

You>> Did I miss that on the news? Even Fox hasn't reported attacks on loggers in the northwest lately!

I don't think they've report any Timothy McVie's lately either have they. And I certainly don't recall McVie having an organziation anything like those of the Eco-Terrorist. But I do recall a housing development under construction being burned down recently by environmentalist.

>> As Fant pointed out a few times. No violence is excusable.

We agree, but let's not point fingers at one side and try to pretend the otherside doesn't also have it's own wacko's.

Stinger said:
Heard a guy on the ABC news talk on my XM the other day. He was a liberal and held to his views and ACTUALLY STATED PRINCIPLES. Now I disagreed with him but his show was entertaining and quite listenable. I think his last name was Green. Too bad Air America can't find host like him. I tried again several times this week to listen to Franken and Rhodes (forget Springer) and again they spout nonsense and are factually incorrect on most topics when they even bother to try and discuss facts instead of just spewing personal insults. Too bad.

You will find the Liberal that can be just as interesting as the Conservative both in the media and in politics. I suppose it comes down to the scale and the location of that scale. XM lets you hear the Liberal in the middle of Nebraska (just a state to name) or New York City (just a city to name). Of course a Liberal can be forceful, interesting and articulate and even right in his opinion. Take that liberal and have him repeat the same story over and over with not a thought to accuracy or truth and it's somewhat different. It is the same for conservatives that would do that. Liberals like to hear a Conservative fail just as the opposite is true. When it infects our political institutions to the point that they aren't doing our business I think we should remind them both of our vote. :duel :cool:

Actually, I believe that at one point Ann Coulter said that she didn't know if we should assassinate or impeach Clinton.

ive listened to Air America on XM Radio and the talent level was about as low as the ignorace level was high.

but to be fair, their XM enemy, AmericaRight, is god-awful as well. ive made up my mind that Michael Reagan needs to be removed from commentating immediately.

Randy Rhodes. She used to be local in Palm Beach where I used to live and I listened to her for four years. She likes to be called goddess and hates to be called comrade. I used to call her up and call her comrade goddess, she is easily thrown off track. But the point is she lies to make her points. Often. If you call her up and point out her lies with rock solid facts with references she first hangs up on you, then insults you and calls you a liar now that your off the air, then bans you from her show. She may be the worst radio talk show host I've ever heard. She also thinks she's beautiful. And she's on Air America. Have you noticed how the hatred literally drips from Rhodes, Franklin, and Giraffalo? The insults and names that fly easily from their lips? Then in the same breath say right wingers are hate mongering Nazis and liberals are he epitome of compassion and tolerance. Am I the only one to notice this? Imagine the outcry from the left if Rush penned a book titled "Al Franklin is a short, ugly, four eyed, lying idiot?

Al Frankin(no L)

When they call names, they do it in a humorous way(it makes me laugh anyway). When Michael Savage or Rush or anyone conservative calls names, generally they mean it. Laura Ingram calls names, but she's hilarious about it. Can't say I agree with her, but she's entertaining. Do you see the difference?

Back
Top Bottom