• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ahmed Muhammad Clock or Bomb?[W:91]

what does this look like?

• Total voters

SgtRock

Cancel Cancel Culture and Woke Supremacy
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
If you knew nothing about Ahmed Muhammed's clock and you were shown this picture what would you think it was? 2015-09-25 07.08.05.jpg

Re: Ahmed Muhammad Clock or Bomb?

I'd need to see it in person.

Without the LED display on - it looks like everything BUT a clock.

I would think someone just put some electronics in a box sloppily and attached some screws. It doesn't look like a bomb, but neither does it look like a clock. You should have provided an option for "other" or asked "what does it most look like?". In the latter case, I'd have to go for either "bomb" or "hoax". Definitely NOT computer or clock.

2015-09-25 07.10.35.jpg
IMO this was a hoax. I believe his family was in on this. They knew exactly what they were doing.

There's a lack of explosives in Ahmed's box--just a circuit board, wires and such.

imho, explosives make the bomb.
no explosives, no bomb.
ymmv, of course.

There's a lack of explosives in Ahmed's box--just a circuit board, wires and such.

imho, explosives make the bomb.
no explosives, no bomb.
ymmv, of course.

What's in the little checkered bag? Are you an explosives expert? Could explosives be contained within the lining of the case itself? How about behind the LED display?

The ideo-illogical blinders on this one are truly astonishing.

I was watching the news this morning and they were interviewing people on the street of an American campus. They showed them a picture of Ahmed's clock. People who knew nothing of the story said it looked like a bomb. Those that were familiar with the story said it looked like a clock.

What's in the little checkered bag? Are you an explosives expert? Could explosives be contained within the lining of the case itself? How about behind the LED display?
Certainly the entire case could be made of explosives.
Iirc, there's even a way to make fabric explosive somehow. But when I see a pair of jeans, I do not think that they are a bomb even though they could be one.
Fruit could have explosives in it. But when I see s fruit I do not think that the fruit is a bomb.
The inside of a radio, computer, or other device could have explosives in it. But when I see various electronic devices I do not think that they are a bomb.

So in theory, yes, many, many, many things could be a bomb.
However, in actual practice, very, very, very things actually are bombs.

I did not say that I had conclusively ruled out the possibility that the device could be a bomb.

Everyday, there are very many places where I do not see explosives.
Is there some reason I should expect there to be explosives where I do not see them?

Certainly the entire case could be made of explosives.
Iirc, there's even a way to make fabric explosive somehow. But when I see a pair of jeans, I do not think that they are a bomb even though they could be one.
Fruit could have explosives in it. But when I see s fruit I do not think that the fruit is a bomb.
The inside of a radio, computer, or other device could have explosives in it. But when I see various electronic devices I do not think that they are a bomb.

So in theory, yes, many, many, many things could be a bomb.
However, in actual practice, very, very, very things actually are bombs.

I did not say that I had conclusively ruled out the possibility that the device could be a bomb.

Everyday, there are very many places where I do not see explosives.
Is there some reason I should expect there to be explosives where I do not see them?

You are just being contrarian and obtuse. The device obviously looks like an explosive device of some kind, albeit crude. There is no denying this. Comparing "Ahmed's clock" to a pair of jeans is just pure sillyness.

I have built lots of clocks. This is no simple clock. A clock fits on a 1 inch square circuit card, and most of that is because of the size of the connectors. What is in the picture more closely resembles a timing device. I have also built many of those. A timing device, while still able to have a clock display, is used to control something that requires higher current than a 9 volt battery can provide. I would have to see it in person, but the circuit in the picture looks very similar to the kind of control one would find in an oven or washing machine. Notice the transformer, the 110V power cord, and the 9 volt battery connector. Of those, only the battery is required to run the clock. The others are needed to run whatever is being controlled.

So, this could be a hoax bomb, or simply a project built with parts from an old washing machine. Not being clairvoyant, I wouldn't know. My sensible side thinks that a briefcase bomb that needs to be plugged into a wall socket, is not very practical, and therefore not likely.

You are just being contrarian and obtuse. The device obviously looks like an explosive device of some kind, albeit crude. There is no denying this. Comparing "Ahmed's clock" to a pair of jeans is just pure sillyness.
It just looks like a circuit board, wires, etc.
A circuit board, wires, etc. does not mean "bomb"
obviously, your mileage varies.

:shrug:

I have built lots of clocks. This is no simple clock. A clock fits on a 1 inch square circuit card, and most of that is because of the size of the connectors. What is in the picture more closely resembles a timing device. I have also built many of those. A timing device, while still able to have a clock display, is used to control something that requires higher current than a 9 volt battery can provide. I would have to see it in person, but the circuit in the picture looks very similar to the kind of control one would find in an oven or washing machine. Notice the transformer, the 110V power cord, and the 9 volt battery connector. Of those, only the battery is required to run the clock. The others are needed to run whatever is being controlled.

So, this could be a hoax bomb, or simply a project built with parts from an old washing machine. Not being clairvoyant, I wouldn't know. My sensible side thinks that a briefcase bomb that needs to be plugged into a wall socket, is not very practical, and therefore not likely.

But what about these ostensibly salient points?
Are your "ideo-illogical blinders" keeping you from seeing the clear and present danger of this IED?

A bomb!!!!

A BOMB!!!!

Anyone who says this isn't a bomb must be wearing ideo-illogical blinders.
Are you an explosives expert? Could explosives be contained within the lining?

A BOMB!!!!
Navionics_Pineapple_Team.jpg

Re: A bomb!!!!

Anyone who says this isn't a bomb must be wearing ideo-illogical blinders.
Are you an explosives expert? Could explosives be contained within the lining?
mqLlukm.png

Wearing ideological blinders leads to the image on the left. That thing does not remotely look like a clock and he most certainly didn't "invent" it, he just dismantled an existing clock and put it in a casing.

It just looks like a circuit board, wires, etc.
A circuit board, wires, etc. does not mean "bomb"
obviously, your mileage varies.

:shrug:

Do you honestly believe you're fooling anyone?

If you didn't know the name of the student, what would you think this is???

Pretty much anything but a clock.

If you knew nothing about Ahmed Muhammed's clock and you were shown this picture what would you think it was?View attachment 67190607

Interesting that the first photos I saw included a digital clock readout clock face. This seems to have disappeared since.

The OP photo looks like neither to me.

I know for sure not a clock nor a computer.

What I find interesting in all the various discussions around this is how the people who predetermined to defend the kid because he is Muslim project their bias upon others through accusations that people hold different opinions simply because of it.

If this were a kid pulling a stunt at school after receiving coaching from his fundie Christian father instead of a kid who received coaching from an Islamist father, you can be sure that the same people would be all over it like **** on stink.

What it looks like is "suspiciously similar to some types of bomb and I wouldn't bet my life on it not being one."

Re: A bomb!!!!

A BOMB!!!!Anyone who says this isn't a bomb must be wearing ideo-illogical blinders. Are you an explosives expert? Could explosives be contained within the lining?

I have military training in explosives and blast/frag casualty radius of various explosive devices. The tiny amount of explosives that can be secreted in the lining would be equal in blast to an M80 type firecracker. What makes most bombs deadly isn't the blast- it's the fragmentation. Even a rank amateur should remember the past terrorist 'bombs' are actually fragmentation devices. Where is the frag material? nails, nuts and bolts, crimped copper welding rod to rip apart in preset fragmentation slugs (US grenades use this frag)

The problem with super thin explosive charges is getting them to detonate entirely. The explosive must be very sensitive (not easy to make or transport), double even triple fusing is used in Military 'ribbon' charges. FM 5-25 is an excellent source of information.

So no it ain't a bomb.... :peace

Back
Top Bottom