• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ahmaud Arbery's killers in Georgia found guilty of federal hate crimes

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Travis McMichael, 36, his father and former police officer Gregory McMichael, 66, and neighbor William "Roddie" Bryan, 52, have been found guilty on all federal counts. All three defendants are charged with depriving Arbery of his civil rights, a "hate-crimes" offense alleging racially motivated violence. They also face attempted kidnapping charges in the deadly 2020 encounter, which unfolded in the coastal Georgia subdivision of Satilla Shores near Brunswick, about 270 miles southeast of Atlanta. The McMichaels additionally were charged with a federal firearms felony, while Bryan faced no such charge. The hate-crimes charge, the most serious contained in the indictment returned against the defendants, carries a maximum penalty of life in prison. Attempted kidnapping is punishable by up to 20 years in prison. The three men have already received life terms in state court after being found guilty of murder and other crimes in the fatal shooting of Arbery. The verdicts only requirred 3 hours of deliberation by the jury.

A bit of overkill since they were already found guilty of murder and sentenced to life without parole, but a fitting one nonetheless since theyre both jerks.

Travis McMichael, 36, his father and former police officer Gregory McMichael, 66, and neighbor William "Roddie" Bryan, 52, have been found guilty on all federal counts. All three defendants are charged with depriving Arbery of his civil rights, a "hate-crimes" offense alleging racially motivated violence. They also face attempted kidnapping charges in the deadly 2020 encounter, which unfolded in the coastal Georgia subdivision of Satilla Shores near Brunswick, about 270 miles southeast of Atlanta. The McMichaels additionally were charged with a federal firearms felony, while Bryan faced no such charge. The hate-crimes charge, the most serious contained in the indictment returned against the defendants, carries a maximum penalty of life in prison. Attempted kidnapping is punishable by up to 20 years in prison. The three men have already received life terms in state court after being found guilty of murder and other crimes in the fatal shooting of Arbery. The verdicts only requirred 3 hours of deliberation by the jury.
Prosecution laid out a clear case for a guilty verdict
3 hrs of jury deliberations demonstrates that
May they all die in prison, never set free

All three defendants are charged with depriving Arbery of his civil rights, a "hate-crimes" offense alleging racially motivated violence.

Did they chase him because he was black?

Or because he was seen in a house in the neighborhood? If it was a black guy just jogging down the street would they have bothered him?

Important questions Rogue. I'm not convinced that the guys skin color was what "motivated" the violence. But OK. Not really my circus. Obviously some American gun owners overstepped their bounds again, that much is well established fact.

Or because he was seen in a house in the neighborhood? If it was a black guy just jogging down the street would they have bothered him?

Important questions Rogue. I'm not convinced that the guys skin color was what "motivated" the violence. But OK. Not really my circus. Obviously some American gun owners overstepped their bounds again, that much is well established fact.
Yeah, good question, why did three white guys decided to run down a black guy "seen in a house," then kill him? They didn't see him steal anything, so the crime in your narrative is being inside an unlocked house under construction, looking around for a bit, then leaving. Of course they didn't actually see him do that either, and he obviously didn't have a power saw or construction materials in his jogging shorts, but even if we assume those facts that are in fact invented, which is they saw him inside the house, why did they load up with weapons then use two cars to attempt a citizens arrest of the guy, for being "seen in a house"?

And of course the first jury convicted them of murder and now they're convicted by a jury for their motivations, which was racism.

The jury found them all guilty of hate crimes. Their own recorded/written statements left no doubts that they are racists.

Deal with it. The jury did.

We'll never know for certain. But, we can speculate that since they didn't chase any other people who went onto the site and only chased the one black guy... seems pretty racist.

Their own recorded/written statements left no doubts that they are racists.

Possibly. Probably. But the issue here in this particular trial is not whether they are "racists", that isnt a crime, its whether or not the guys color motivated them to go shoot him. To me, that is in question. I am assuming that all 3 of these American gun owners see lots of black people and yet they only chased and shot the one that we know of. These are all moot points at this time, but still these are legit questions.
I also question taking 3 guys who have been convicted of murder in varying degrees, and then adding another additional trial and punishment for "violating civil rights", well YEAH anytime one person murders another it ALWAYS violate their civil rights doesnt it?:unsure:

Ah well....I never studied law. I guess thats why the lawyers make the big bucks!

Deal with it.

OK*

But, we can speculate that since they didn't chase any other people who went onto the site and only chased the one black guy

Maybe they did chase other people.
Or maybe the one black guy was the only one they actually saw that they had a chance to chase.

I dunno. Doesnt really matter I guess.

And of course the first jury convicted them of murder and now they're convicted by a jury for their motivations, which was racism.

OK. I dont really buy that though.

Convicted of murder, fine, but I have no way to be sure that they wouldn't have chased down a white guy that they saw coming out of the house.
I cant assume that they would have chased and shot a black man that was simply jogging down the street minding his own business on public property.

But whatever. No skin off my nose. They JoeBobs killed the guy so let em rot in prison. I generally dont agree with the whole concept of "hate crimes" though, if you commit murder you commit murder. One persons murder isnt any more or less important than anyone else IMO.

The parade has started. The mainstream media will now be interviewing dozens of Black people pushing their narrative that all white people are racists. If you challenge them you will be labeled the biggest racist of all.

OK. I dont really buy that though.
Yeah, and you're not engaging in good faith, either.

Those racist dirtbags didn't actually see the black guy commit any crime. Someone else allegedly saw him "in a house" as you said - that's it. So they got a report he was 'in a house' but didn't steal anything and yet they loaded up and used two cars to run him off the road and chase him around the neighborhood cutting his exit off several times. For being "in a house."

The jury heard why and convicted them of being motivated by race. That fits the facts perfectly, which is probably why the jury took only 3 hours to convict. On another thread you're looking for reasons to excuse these guys referring to blacks as 'n****rs' in casual conversation (rappers say nigga so it's all good....), so you appear to be trying hard to 'not buy that' motivation.

A bit of overkill since they were already found guilty of murder and sentenced to life without parole, but a fitting one nonetheless since theyre both jerks.
True, but the DoJ should be consistent. Whether they were convicted should have no bearing on federal charges. Either charge them or don't, but don't operate based on state convictions.

Thanks for posting that very good news, was just watching that on TV, those racist scumbags deserve everything they get for taking an innocent life. Rightwing racist gun nutters, the scum of our society.....trash.

On another thread you're looking for reasons to excuse these guys referring to blacks as 'n****rs' in casual conversation

No need to "excuse" it.

Its how ignorant people talk. Its not illegal. Merely stupid.

The parade has started. The mainstream media will now be interviewing dozens of Black people pushing their narrative that all white people are racists. If you challenge them you will be labeled the biggest racist of all.

You don’t have a relative named, David, by chance, do you?

No need to "excuse" it.

Its how ignorant people talk. Its not illegal. Merely stupid.
It's how racists talk, and it's stupid and racist. You want to ignore this, but we all know it's true.

And you're working hard to not understand why they were convicted of murder then a hate crime. That part of them "not witnessing a crime" is sort of key, and the only alleged crime allegedly witnessed by someone else was "being in a house while black" but not stealing anything, or otherwise disturbing anything. Just looking around, while black.

This is so dumb.

This is so dumb.
I agree. People who claim that white people are all racists just because they are white...are indeed dumb. But the mainstream media gives them air time because that is the politically correct woke thing to do.

I agree. People who claim that white people are all racists just because they are white...are indeed dumb. But the mainstream media gives them air time because that is the politically correct woke thing to do.
Be better.

You don’t have a relative named, David, by chance, do you?
So, you are judging me by my last name? Let me guess, you think everybody with the last name Black is white, anybody with the last name White is black, anybody with the last name Gay is homosexual. It might be time to consider improving those debate skills.

So, you are judging me by my last name?

No, by your words.

Let me guess, you think everybody with the last name Black is white, anybody with the last name White is black, anybody with the last name Gay is homosexual. It might be time to consider improving those debate skills.

You guess badly.

Be better.
I wish the mainstream media would take your advice but they won't. The next time a white cop shoots a Black man, they will immediately paint the white cop as a racist before they gather any facts.

Back
Top Bottom