• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Agreed: He’s just as bad as you think

That is a completely deceptive peace. It would have served NV to get rid of the US. It would have been to the advantage of NV to more easily take over SV w/o resistance. For what SV was fighting, that would not be a peace that got them what they sacrificed so many to get. As it is, they did get a peace agreement, didn't they? The US left, there was a communist takeover, then there was peace and everybody came to agreement. The peace agreement you speak of is a deception for takeover by NV. It is, basically, as I said, like suing for peace.

None of that matters to the topic at hand, Nixon's treason. We had one president, LBJ. It's not even as if Nixon had any nobler motive the sabotaging the peace deal was better for anyone than his own election.

The US had limited options. Whatever happened after the peace deal, it would have been better than what happened without it. It would have saved 25,000 American lives, many more injured, and they wouldn't have killed the Vietnamese they killed. The topic is not judging the peace deal, it's Nixon's treason to win an election.

None of that matters to the topic at hand, Nixon's treason. We had one president, LBJ. It's not even as if Nixon had any nobler motive the sabotaging the peace deal was better for anyone than his own election.
The US had limited options. Whatever happened after the peace deal, it would have been better than what happened without it. It would have saved 25,000 American lives, many more injured, and they wouldn't have killed the Vietnamese they killed. The topic is not judging the peace deal, it's Nixon's treason to win an election.

Agreed Nixon was only thinking about his election. Nixon's act may have been treason by description, I'm not sure, but not treason by legal definition, as I already explained to you.

What would have saved 55,000 American lives is if LBJ didn't falsely suck us into a war. Even if the war was won with US help, which would have required many times more troops, etc., the war could not have "stayed" won. More people were committed to continue fighting for the North. As soon as US ships disappeared over the horizon...

Agreed Nixon was only thinking about his election. Nixon's act may have been treason by description, I'm not sure, but not treason by legal definition, as I already explained to you.

I'm not even looking at the legal question, I don't care. Substantive and moral treason is the issue.

What would have saved 55,000 American lives is if LBJ didn't falsely suck us into a war. Even if the war was won with US help, which would have required many times more troops, etc., the war could not have "stayed" won. More people were committed to continue fighting for the North. As soon as US ships disappeared over the horizon...

There's a big difference between a good faith error in judgment by a leader, one who by the way was trying to end the harm it caused, and treason that doubled the harm. If you're looking for the most important actual policy error, blame Eisenhower in the mid 1950's, when the world had nearly ended the conflict when the French lost.

I'm not even looking at the legal question, I don't care. Substantive and moral treason is the issue.

There's a big difference between a good faith error in judgment by a leader, one who by the way was trying to end the harm it caused, and treason that doubled the harm. If you're looking for the most important actual policy error, blame Eisenhower in the mid 1950's, when the world had nearly ended the conflict when the French lost.

I’ve been using the legal def all along. You only just now switched to the “substantive and moral” in this post. A little late.

Even the argument for “substantive” treason is thin. It could not be proved that Nixon initiated Chennault’s contact with the SV govt. Only that he knew of it and approved it. Chennault would have been the one up for” substantive” treason. But I don’t know what your definition is. I guess “substantive” would be if the Vietnam war were a declared war, could have Chennault and/or Nixon and others been prosecuted for treason? LBJ knew about it, but said nothing. To me, the substantive is a coin-toss, though I doubt Nixon, or Chennault, would have done so if the action met the legal def of treason. Hence, coin-toss. The “moral” treason is clear.

Nixon only wanted Thieu to believe that he could get a better deal with him, Nixon, than with LBJ, not to thwart peace en toto. All indications are that the Paris talks would have reconvened after the election. Nixon had as much a commitment from Thieu to peace as did LBJ.

LBJ couldn’t use the matter of treason against Nixon, or Chennault, because he would have exposed his own wrongdoing, and put the US in a bad position, for having bugged the SV Ambassador’s office.

Yeah, go back to Eisenhower for supplying SV with arms as the policy error that resulted in 55,000 American deaths and all the others you spoke of. LBJ had trumped-up the Gulf of Tonkin incident into war. That was the trigger that fired the gun that killed so many people. It wasn’t Eisenhower that cooked-up that false pretense.

I’ve been using the legal def all along. You only just now switched to the “substantive and moral” in this post. A little late.

I didn't switch.

Even the argument for “substantive” treason is thin. It could not be proved that Nixon initiated Chennault’s contact with the SV govt. Only that he knew of it and approved it. Chennault would have been the one up for” substantive” treason.

No, it' s not thin at all, and yes, that can be proved. It's absurd to suggest the relationship between Chennault and Nixon was her in charge.

But I don’t know what your definition is... I doubt Nixon, or Chennault, would have done so if the action met the legal def of treason. Hence, coin-toss. The “moral” treason is clear.

The moral treason is clear, though I don't know how you say that when you question Nixon even being behind it. It's pretty simple. The country wanted the US to leave the war. The president wanted the US to leave the war, and did not run for re-election and spent the last year of his presidency successfully negotiating to leave the war. Nixon decided that his winning the election was more important, and caused a million more to be killed over years.

Nixon only wanted Thieu to believe that he could get a better deal with him, Nixon, than with LBJ, not to thwart peace en toto. All indications are that the Paris talks would have reconvened after the election. Nixon had as much a commitment from Thieu to peace as did LBJ.

The REASON Nixon persuaded Thieu to refuse the agreement was simply to sabotage the deal because peace meant a very likely Humphrey win. Thieu did agree because he 'wanted peace', he would have agreed because he had no leverage with the US if the US did - EXCEPT the leverage of making a deal with a possible new president. He jumped at the chance only because Nixon offered it to him. It had a very high price.

LBJ couldn’t use the matter of treason against Nixon, or Chennault, because he would have exposed his own wrongdoing, and put the US in a bad position, for having bugged the SV Ambassador’s office.

It wasn't exposing 'wrongdoing', but it was exposing a critical intelligence technique that would have hurt the US to have it exposed. LBJ asked his staff how much the damage would be, because he had wanted to expose it, but they said the damage was very high and he chose the harm of letting Nixon commit treason and kill peace over the harm of exposing the method.

LBJ DID tell Humphrey, and Humphrey could have used the info, but much like 2016 the polls were showing a Humphrey surge where he was likely to win, and he decided the harm to the country wasn't worth exposing the treason to help his chances to win - the opposite of Nixon. Most experts say if the election were two weeks later Humphrey would have won. Instead, we got the war continued and Watergate and other crimes.

An all the other harms from Nixon, such as the creation of Roger Ailes, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, the Bush family, the move to plutocracy on the Supreme Court; it was under Nixon or just after because of Nixon the country saw the creation of the big business takeover of politics, from the Heritage Foundation to Cato to the Federalist Society.

Yeah, go back to Eisenhower for supplying SV with arms as the policy error that resulted in 55,000 American deaths and all the others you spoke of. LBJ had trumped-up the Gulf of Tonkin incident into war. That was the trigger that fired the gun that killed so many people. It wasn’t Eisenhower that cooked-up that false pretense.

I don't think you understand the history of the Vietnam War's key point was Eisenhower's policy. There were three other key points for war, and two against: for were Ho Chin Minh, already an activist for independence who had studied in the US, writing President Wilson asking for support and getting no reply; post-WWII when Truman refused to support independence; and LBJ's choice for strong escalation.

The two key points against the war were the election of JFK, who strongly refused to escalate the war and planned to leave unilaterally, and LBJ's peace efforts sabotaged by Nixon. Other elements of LBJ's peace efforts were the public turning on the war, including politicians such as Robert Kennedy, leading to the political changes that pushed LBJ to change his policy.

I didn't switch.

No, it' s not thin at all, and yes, that can be proved. It's absurd to suggest the relationship between Chennault and Nixon was her in charge.

The moral treason is clear, though I don't know how you say that when you question Nixon even being behind it. It's pretty simple. The country wanted the US to leave the war. The president wanted the US to leave the war, and did not run for re-election and spent the last year of his presidency successfully negotiating to leave the war. Nixon decided that his winning the election was more important, and caused a million more to be killed over years.

The REASON Nixon persuaded Thieu to refuse the agreement was simply to sabotage the deal because peace meant a very likely Humphrey win. Thieu did agree because he 'wanted peace', he would have agreed because he had no leverage with the US if the US did - EXCEPT the leverage of making a deal with a possible new president. He jumped at the chance only because Nixon offered it to him. It had a very high price.

It wasn't exposing 'wrongdoing', but it was exposing a critical intelligence technique that would have hurt the US to have it exposed. LBJ asked his staff how much the damage would be, because he had wanted to expose it, but they said the damage was very high and he chose the harm of letting Nixon commit treason and kill peace over the harm of exposing the method.

LBJ DID tell Humphrey, and Humphrey could have used the info, but much like 2016 the polls were showing a Humphrey surge where he was likely to win, and he decided the harm to the country wasn't worth exposing the treason to help his chances to win - the opposite of Nixon. Most experts say if the election were two weeks later Humphrey would have won. Instead, we got the war continued and Watergate and other crimes.

An all the other harms from Nixon, such as the creation of Roger Ailes, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, the Bush family, the move to plutocracy on the Supreme Court; it was under Nixon or just after because of Nixon the country saw the creation of the big business takeover of politics, from the Heritage Foundation to Cato to the Federalist Society.

I don't think you understand the history of the Vietnam War's key point was Eisenhower's policy. There were three other key points for war, and two against: for were Ho Chin Minh, already an activist for independence who had studied in the US, writing President Wilson asking for support and getting no reply; post-WWII when Truman refused to support independence; and LBJ's choice for strong escalation.

The two key points against the war were the election of JFK, who strongly refused to escalate the war and planned to leave unilaterally, and LBJ's peace efforts sabotaged by Nixon. Other elements of LBJ's peace efforts were the public turning on the war, including politicians such as Robert Kennedy, leading to the political changes that pushed LBJ to change his policy.

Right. You didn’t switch. We’ve just been arguing whether or not Nixon was treasonous, with my noting that by legal definition he was not, and you continuing to say he was, w/o you ever saying why except that it was and that Johnson said so. But not mentioning “substantive and moral grounds” until your last post. Yeah, your roll with that. The fact is, the fact, Nixon DID NOT COMMIT TREASON. Your rationalizing does not make it treason.

There was no way in hell or God’s green earth that NV was going to give up self-determination to a foreign brokered govt that incl SV. That is palpably absurd. Downright visceral.

The rest of what you launch into is a continuance of never-ending ankle-biter issue that goes beyond what primary debate has been already beat to death. Nixon did not commit treason. LBJ caused the escalation in the Vietnam war that was unnecessary and resulted in 55,000 dead Americans, in the final end. NV would never give up self-governance but for long enough to get the US out of country so they could then, with relative ease, take over SV. Otherwise would be just plain stupid. Really stupid. A beg for assassination.

Right. You didn’t switch. We’ve just been arguing whether or not Nixon was treasonous, with my noting that by legal definition he was not, and you continuing to say he was,

Let's review the start of this exchange. Your first response about my saying Nixon committed treason was: "Any Nixon involvement in Vietnam was inconsequential as there was no chance of peace under any US president, N or S Viet leader. In fact, Johnson spoke w/Nixon over the phone and was satisfied Nixon had no ill intent that would sabotage American interest. Johnson went on to brief Nixon on all Vietnam war details. So, was Johnson "in on it" too?"

Why don't you show me in your post where you argued the "legal definition"? Why don't you show me in my post where I argued the "legal definition" as you claim?

Your argument seems to have switched to substantive, moral things not meaning anything, only legal. If a guy breaks into your home and shoots you in the head, but isn't caught, he didn't LEGALLY commit murder - he hasn't been convicted. I'd say substantively and morally, he did commit murder. You want to say that doesn't matter, only the legal definition?

You're apparently just fine with Nixon committing treason, sabotaging the government's effort to end a war to help himself.

What you actually DID argue in your response was wrong, and had nothing to do with a "legal definition". Sabotaging the peace deal was "inconsequential"? A million people killed you call inconsequential. Could you say something more absurd? Was Hitler inconsequential to WWII? LBJ *WAS NOT* "satisfied Nixon had no ill intent" whatsoever. You are posting absurdity, and I see no reason to respond to more garbage.

Let's review the start of this exchange. Your first response about my saying Nixon committed treason was: "Any Nixon involvement in Vietnam was inconsequential as there was no chance of peace under any US president, N or S Viet leader. In fact, Johnson spoke w/Nixon over the phone and was satisfied Nixon had no ill intent that would sabotage American interest. Johnson went on to brief Nixon on all Vietnam war details. So, was Johnson "in on it" too?"

Why don't you show me in your post where you argued the "legal definition"? Why don't you show me in my post where I argued the "legal definition" as you claim?

Your argument seems to have switched to substantive, moral things not meaning anything, only legal. If a guy breaks into your home and shoots you in the head, but isn't caught, he didn't LEGALLY commit murder - he hasn't been convicted. I'd say substantively and morally, he did commit murder. You want to say that doesn't matter, only the legal definition?

You're apparently just fine with Nixon committing treason, sabotaging the government's effort to end a war to help himself.

What you actually DID argue in your response was wrong, and had nothing to do with a "legal definition". Sabotaging the peace deal was "inconsequential"? A million people killed you call inconsequential. Could you say something more absurd? Was Hitler inconsequential to WWII? LBJ *WAS NOT* "satisfied Nixon had no ill intent" whatsoever. You are posting absurdity, and I see no reason to respond to more garbage.

Nixon did not commit treason. That is fact. Nixon did sabotage the peace negotiations. I'm not OK with that, though there would never be peace w/o a communist takeover of the entire country, which fact obviously escapes you. No worse than Nixon's involvement is LBJ backing off of taking any action against Nixon. That is tacit allowance of Nixon's involvement. LBJ even went so far as to advise Nixon of top secret intelligence of the war efforts in Vietnam that went against all historical precedent. What also escapes you is that LBJ expanded the war astronomically beyond any rational reason than was manufactured.

Neither Nixon's nor LBJ's actions are defensible. It is a fact that Nixon's action was not treason. It is a fact that LBJ took no action against Nixon as if in no recognition of the magnitude of Nixon's action. In fact, it was Humphrey LBJ did not trust, not Nixon. It is a fact LBJ manufactured reason to expand the war beyond sensibility. It is a fact both presidents caused the death of more Americans than justifiable.

Nixon was a dastardly human being. And LBJ enabled him. You can't refute with fact anything I've said in post. If you think Vietnam was going anywhere but communist, regardless of your peace agreement dream one way or the other, it is your absurdity, not mine.

See my previous post for why I've stopped reading and responding.

OMG yes trump is so bad he made them tamper with a FISA warrant so they cold surveil him trying to find ANYTHING to bring him down, THEN he made them continue that narrative for 3 YEARS when they KNEW it was total horse****.

he made them tell their citizens of their states to go ahead and have fun in the face of a pandemic when it originally started!!

HE MADE people riot, loot and burn down their own cities.

**** me, Trump is one BAD dude!

i'm sorry , what has Trump done that is so bad again?

[INSERT leftist talking points and propaganda here]

Don't ask questions when you're apathetic about the answers. Just remind yourself that Trump is out there, working hard to fight the communist wave or whatever conservatards tell themselves to sleep peacefully. Really, Don't worry yourself about a reality you're ill equipped to comprehend.

Back
Top Bottom