• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Age of Ascent

On occasion I always end up seeing some thread or another that questions why the "Age of Ascent" (being considered an adult) is at 18 and then goes on to list reasons why it should be lower. I'm going the opposite direction for this thread.

Somebody was watching Star Trek, TNG yesterday.

... our brains are not fully developed until about the age of 25 ...

By that metric, since brain begins to structurally deteriorate as early as age 30, should we also have a max age on people allowed to drive, vote, own guns, etc?

i.e. age of descent...

By that metric, since brain begins to structurally deteriorate as early as age 30, should we also have a max age on people allowed to drive, vote, own guns, etc?

i.e. age of descent...

Some never achieve the ascent part. i.e. Old leftists.

On occasion I always end up seeing some thread or another that questions why the "Age of Ascent" (being considered an adult) is at 18 and then goes on to list reasons why it should be lower. I'm going the opposite direction for this thread.

Biologically speaking our brains are not fully developed until about the age of 25. Yes, it varies from person to person, and even between genders there is a difference. But on average, generally speaking, the age is about 25.

At What Age Is The Brain Fully Developed?
Brains of Young Adults Not Fully Mature

Based on that, should we start reflecting this in our laws? Meaning move the age of being considered an adult to age 25? Being able to vote at the age of 25, serve in the military at age 25, buying a gun at age 25 etc etc. It would make sense to.

Of course I'm sure that anyone between the ages of 18-24 would be saying HELL NO! to such a suggestion. But quite frankly since your brains are not fully developed why should anyone listen to you? You're not able to think with a fully developed brain which means your thought processing ability is still limited.

Discuss. :)

That would move the day the kid gets kicked out of the house by 7 years.

I say no way to that.

Back
Top Bottom