• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Age of Ascent

On occasion I always end up seeing some thread or another that questions why the "Age of Ascent" (being considered an adult) is at 18 and then goes on to list reasons why it should be lower. I'm going the opposite direction for this thread.

Biologically speaking our brains are not fully developed until about the age of 25. Yes, it varies from person to person, and even between genders there is a difference. But on average, generally speaking, the age is about 25.

At What Age Is The Brain Fully Developed?
Brains of Young Adults Not Fully Mature

Based on that, should we start reflecting this in our laws? Meaning move the age of being considered an adult to age 25? Being able to vote at the age of 25, serve in the military at age 25, buying a gun at age 25 etc etc. It would make sense to.

Of course I'm sure that anyone between the ages of 18-24 would be saying HELL NO! to such a suggestion. But quite frankly since your brains are not fully developed why should anyone listen to you? You're not able to think with a fully developed brain which means your thought processing ability is still limited.

Discuss. :)

It's an interesting proposition. But, if you consider development, you must also then consider deterioration.

https://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2011/10/Combating-Age-Related-Brain-Deterioration/Page-01

Apparently our brains start to deteriorate as early as 30 years old. Therefore, according to your logic, we must limit voting, serving in the military, and gun ownership to folks from the age of 25 - 30.

I actually don't mind that....lol...and I'm 40.

One of the biggest problems with bumping up the legal age on things from 18 to 25 is that it opens the door to discussing what to do about the back end of life as well. I have a hard time imagining those that support shifting the legal voting age to 25, for example, would want to discuss at what age we should pull a person's right to vote due to cognitive decline. Should 25 to 70 be legal age to vote, smoke, drink, etc? I don't think so.

One of the biggest problems with bumping up the legal age on things from 18 to 25 is that it opens the door to discussing what to do about the back end of life as well. I have a hard time imagining those that support shifting the legal voting age to 25, for example, would want to discuss at what age we should pull a person's right to vote due to cognitive decline. Should 25 to 70 be legal age to vote, smoke, drink, etc? I don't think so.

What on earth are you talking about? We have no age limit on end of life voting??????????

The society cant afford to babysit people who should be able to function on their own, we already have an extreme lack of resources.

I say keep that age at 18 and tell youth that they need to get themselves ready by then, we cant afford any lollygagging in growing up.

Yet we have a current generation who seem so helpless, lacking enthusiasm and vigor.

Yet we have a current generation who seem so helpless, lacking enthusiasm and vigor.

we do?

LOL, this generation is pretty damned togeather if you ask me.

Way more grounded and down to earth than the baby boomers for example.

On occasion I always end up seeing some thread or another that questions why the "Age of Ascent" (being considered an adult) is at 18 and then goes on to list reasons why it should be lower. I'm going the opposite direction for this thread.

Biologically speaking our brains are not fully developed until about the age of 25. Yes, it varies from person to person, and even between genders there is a difference. But on average, generally speaking, the age is about 25.

Based on that, should we start reflecting this in our laws? Meaning move the age of being considered an adult to age 25? Being able to vote at the age of 25, serve in the military at age 25, buying a gun at age 25 etc etc. It would make sense to.

Of course I'm sure that anyone between the ages of 18-24 would be saying HELL NO! to such a suggestion. But quite frankly since your brains are not fully developed why should anyone listen to you? You're not able to think with a fully developed brain which means your thought processing ability is still limited.

The term is "age of majority" - but consider the downsides, especially when it comes to the criminal justice system. Do we really want to mix (equate?) 24 year olds with 14 year olds in jail/prison? Do we want criminal records prior to age 25 "sealed"?

The military would be seriously impacted as well - that extra 7 years to be able to begin military service deprives many HS graduates of that full-time employment option often including valuable on the job training.

we do?

LOL, this generation is pretty damned togeather if you ask me.

Way more grounded and down to earth than the baby boomers for example.

You talking Gen Z, 1995 and beyond?

I am speaking of millennials.

Great kids.

I would say that they are adapting to their generational downward mobility and general slowness in both growing up and accomplishing things with good cheer, however it is not at all clear that they understand what is going on.

Never have heard or read the term used in the OP. Looking for “Age of Ascent” brings up a video game. The term I am familiar with is “Age of Majority?” :shrug:

It's Age of Assent..

25 makes much better sense.

18 is very young, especial in this day and age.

It was 21 when I was young but it was changed.

However, we need to remove the stigma of people having kids too young.

It has gotten ridiculous. Talk to the current generation and you'll find folks are so spoiled they promote the idea that age 30 is the youngest one should have kids.

A lot of that is due to young couples not being able to afford having children. And that couples are dependent on two salaries, and the woman must work an extended time to ensure a reasonable return to the work force. It's not being spoiled, perhaps the opposite.

A lot of that is due to young couples not being able to afford having children. And that couples are dependent on two salaries, and the woman must work an extended time to ensure a reasonable return to the work force. It's not being spoiled, perhaps the opposite.

That plus the young women of today have been told since birth to get their career solid before they deal with any desires they might have to be a part of a family, there is always the next "After I accomplish this here in my career THEN I will deal with my desire to have kids". If they say they dont care much about a career then they they get told that they are talking about wasting their lives.

That plus the young women of today have been told since birth to get their career solid before they deal with any desires they might have to be a part of a family, there is always the next "After I accomplish this here in my career THEN I will deal with my desire to have kids". If they say they dont care much about a career then they they get told that they are talking about wasting their lives.

I think young women have been told to make sure they can support themselves, good advice given the rate of divorce among their parents and elders. Young men have been given some confusing messages also.

I think young women have been told to make sure they can support themselves, good advice given the rate of divorce among their parents and elders. Young men have been given some confusing messages also.
"Make sure that you never need a man" is what they get told...but ya...that too.

"Make sure that you never need a man" is what they get told...but ya...that too.

There is a big difference between "needing" a man, and "wanting" a man. Women being financially dependent on men does not always work out so great. Vice versa also.

There is a big difference between "needing" a man, and "wanting" a man. Women being financially dependent on men does not always work out so great. Vice versa also.

That would be great if men did not feel the deep desire to be needed by women and also the community at large. This mindset that has been systematical molded into women has been tremendously destructive to the family....on purpose I say.

I think you mean "age of majority".

Red:
It's called the "age of majority," or biologically, "maturity." "Age of Ascent" is a video game. Carry on...

I would say that they are adapting to their generational downward mobility and general slowness in both growing up and accomplishing things with good cheer, however it is not at all clear that they understand what is going on.

did you?

It's rare people understand their tribe in total, in macro, in the present tense.

No, it's a direct result of affluence as happens in all societies. This was exasperated by women's lib.

Women ho want to get married, have kids and be a mom really took a hit from dear Gloria.

My children are Millennials. No problem with them.

Today's snowflakes are another story.

anyone younger than a Millennial is still a child.

Absolutely not. A woman's fertility begins declining at 28. Biologically, you can clearly see that someone 25 looks more aged than someone 21. By 30 most athletes are on the decline.

It may be that the apex of development is hit at 25 but that doesn't mean that we should only consider 25-year-old's adults. What about the elderly whose brains have been in decline for decades? Should they no longer be considered adult since brain development is the criteria for adulthood?

We're seeing a real problem in the developed world where populations are declining and aging because people are having children too late or not at all. We need people to marry and have children earlier not later.

Back
Top Bottom