• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Again... Why did we invade Iraq?

kal-el said:
"No war for oil":smile:

I say "war for oil". Of course, I say war for a lot of things, but if the chant was going to be ignorantly used, we should have at least given it some truth by planting a few flags. .50 cents a gallon. Awwwwww. Now that sounds great.

GySgt said:
I say "war for oil". Of course, I say war for a lot of things, but if the chant was going to be ignorantly used, we should have at least given it some truth by planting a few flags. .50 cents a gallon. Awwwwww. Now that sounds great.

Yea, to good to be true. If only George Bush were to say "I'm taking over Iraq's oil supply,so our gas is cheaper" , that would confirm my suspicions about him being the anti-christ, but I bet more Americans would support him then.

kal-el said:
Yea, to good to be true. If only George Bush were to say "I'm taking over Iraq's oil supply,so our gas is cheaper" , that would confirm my suspicions about him being the anti-christ, but I bet more Americans would support him then.

Of course they would. Even the "high and mighty." They'll just do it behind closed doors and as they fill their cars up.

By the way, I always heard that the "anti-christ" was supposed to come from the Middle East.

GySgt said:
Of course they would. Even the "high and mighty." They'll just do it behind closed doors and as they fill their cars up.

Yep

By the way, I always heard that the "anti-christ" was supposed to come from the Middle East.

I believe that's what it states in the Scriptures.

Ironside said:
It most certainly won't be you and I seeing the profits from the oil.
Are you kidding?

Not at all. I keep hearing to this day how this war was about oil. If thats the case I want to know where it is. I have lost 1,900 soldiers in this little endevour. And I think if it's about oil we should for the love of god be getting so dam oil.

Ironside
Your 1st post is the best summation I've seen of the futility of the war in Iraq as a war on terror.
I want to see an effective war on terror being fought but has the war in Iraq made any difference whatsoever in the war on Terror or in stopping London or Madrid or any other bombings ?
Answer = not in the least.
Who do you think really is pulling the strings in the USA & in effect determining your foreign policy ?
The hyped up sexed up WMD threat was a con trick by the Republicans to get arms contract for Northrop Grumman & the like as their kick back for funding Bush's election campaign. After all... his election campaign cost tens of $millions. Where do you think those $millions came from ?
The arms companies spend millions lobby in the pentagon in favour of wars. They must have been rubbing their hands with glee on 911.

http://betterworldlinks.org/book73n.htm
http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=12580

US: Defense firms feast on Bush’s 'War on Terror'
According to reports, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, General Dynamics, Honeywell and United Technologies posted all-time best-ever profits in the first half of this year and they still have a huge list of orders.
Taipai Times
August 29th, 2005

Analysts say that a significant part of the American’s national life is determined by the financial interests of the "mighty 10."

The “mighty 10" are not the Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force or Special Forces; they’re huge arms firms that stand to make hundreds of billions of dollars from Bush’s ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Of the "10" -- Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, General Dynamics, Litton, General Electric, United Technologies, TRW and Textron -- six are among the world’s top 10 arms-producing companies.

The Pentagon’s spending on the American President’s “battles against terror” in Iraq and Afghanistan is keeping U.S. defense contractors alive.

The fiscal 2006 defense budget is set to climb to US$441 billion, an increase of US$21 billion over this year. It envisions an additional US$50 billion for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

While the "war on terrorism" is the rationale for the proposed $48 billion jump in the fiscal 2006 defense budget, analysts suggest that much of that money looks like a political payoff.

If the war is targeting "terrorists" in Iraq and Afghanistan, as the American President claims, then why should the United States spend $475 million to build the Crusader, a 70-ton self-propelled artillery system so massive you couldn't get it to Afghanistan on a dare?

According to reports, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, General Dynamics, Honeywell and United Technologies posted all-time best-ever profits in the first half of this year and they still have a huge list of orders.

H1 profits of Lockheed Martin, a large U.S. "defense entity", jumped 41 percent to US$830 million. Half-year sales rose to US$17.8 billion from US$17.1 billion in the same period last year, despite a drop in deliveries of F-16 fighter jets that cut into warplane sales.

Lockheed, which is also strong on missile defenses, integrated electronic combat systems and military space programs, projects sales for this year of up to US$38 billion and has orders worth another US$73 billion.

Q1 and Q2 sales of Boeing, the second-largest commercial aircraft maker after Airbus, is also the second-largest US defense contractor, were up 8 percent to US$27 billion.

Also Boeing's military division posted sales of US$15.3 billion in H1, an increase of 5 percent. Operating profits rose 16 percent to US$1.7 billion.
Boeing also operates Future Combat Systems (FCS), a US$125 billion project responsible for integrating new weapons and communications systems to help the U.S. soldiers be more effective.

At the end of June, Boeing had military orders of USS$85.7 billion.

Also Raytheon, best-known for military electronics and weapons systems, saw sales rise 8 percent in the first half of the year to US$10.4 billion.

Last edited:
"Has the war in Iraq made any difference whatsoever in the war on Terror or in stopping London or Madrid or any other bombings ?
Answer = not in the least."

Was it supposed to? There is an entire region of Islamics that cheer whenever civilians die at the hand of their "martyrs." Attacking Iraq and Afghanistan merely stirred the pot. Until the rest of the world gets off their asses and stops playing apologetic victim, terrorism will persist and it will continue to stem from Iran,Syria,Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, etc.

The rest of what you wrote is just dribble. It's what every war sees and what every war in the future will see.

GySgt said:
"Has the war in Iraq made any difference whatsoever in the war on Terror or in stopping London or Madrid or any other bombings ?
Answer = not in the least."

Was it supposed to? There is an entire region of Islamics that cheer whenever civilians die at the hand of their "martyrs." Attacking Iraq and Afghanistan merely stirred the pot. Until the rest of the world gets off their asses and stops playing apologetic victim, terrorism will persist and it will continue to stem from Iran,Syria,Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, etc.

The rest of what you wrote is just dribble. It's what every war sees and what every war in the future will see.
Thanks Gysgt....
You've just proved me right. Your 'couldn't give a damn' attitude as to the corruption in your government & the cosy relationship beween arms manufacturers & policy making politicians, is just typical of American public ignorance & apathy & shows just how politicians are able get away with it becuase the over whelming majority of the US public don't give a damn.

I'm just glad you like paying high taxes for futile wars fought on the basis of lies & an insanely high arms bill run up by politicians who seem to have conveniently overlooked the cold war is over & that billion dollar stealth bombers aren't really much good in dealing with some insane little terrorist that wants to leave a bomb on London or Madrid public transport.
I am more than suspicious that this slight oversight is of course becuase the politicians have the arms manufacturers right up their arses so to speak !

Last edited:
robin said:
Thanks Gysgt....
You've just proved me right. Your 'couldn't give a damn' attitude as to the corruption in your government & the cosy relationship beween arms manufacturers & policy making politicians, is just typical of American public ignorance & apathy & shows just how politicians are able get away with it becuase the over whelming majority of the US public don't give a damn.

I'm just glad you like paying high taxes for futile wars fought on the basis of lies & an insanely high arms bill run up by politicians that either seemed to conveniently have overlooked the cold war is over & that billion dollar stealth bombers aren't really much good in dealing with some insane little terrorist that wants to leave a bomb on the London or Madrid public transport, either that or they have the arms manufacturers right up their arses so to speak or both of course !

Are you referring to the failing civilization in the Middle East and their need to give "Allah" his blood offerings by preaching hate and creating "martyrs" as a lie....or are you still whining about WMD?

As far as American foreign policy, you are right. I don't give a damn. I encourage it. Our foriegn policy, while hurting some, help others. It keeps stability. It maintains a false peace. It keeps us out of wars that we were used to coming half across the world to participate in, because of European appeasal. Iran/Contra is a prime example. If our politicians didn't butt into shady affairs and it was left to run it's course, who knows where we would be today with regards to the Iranian nuclear issue. Would there even be an issue? If our foreign policy wasn't involved with keeping the Shi'ites and the Sunni from tearing each other apart, the world's economy, much of it based on oil, would be a wreck. And whatever our foreign affairs are in the Middle East, best believe that the UK and every one else are using our presence for their oil securities. Guess what...this too is called "corruption." Remember that next time you see the Queen in her recently gasoline filled up car. Better yet, remember it the next time you fill up yours. They are all corrupt. Just because you see America in the fight, don't think that the UK and the rest of Europe isn't getting theirs. Mopping up after European messes and getting the negatice attention for it has become second nature to us.

You refuse to believe that your "insane little terrorist" isn't merely a rogue. Any cells that are working on their own are adhering to Islamic Arab doctrine and ideology. He is backed up by organized groups which are backed up by governments which are cheered on by millions and millions of Muslims in the Middle East. And one day, they will have to be dealt with.

Last edited:
SouthernDemocrat said:
The worst dishonesty, is intellectual dishonesty.

Iraq was a minor player in global terrorism. Those terrorist camps in Northern Iraq were in Kurdish controlled territory.

have you ever heard of the saying "A little fib can turn into a huge problem" same principal w/ terrrorists, one minor group of terrrorists, could turn into the next Al-Queda.

have you ever heard of the saying "A little fib can turn into a huge problem" same principal w/ terrrorists, one minor group of terrrorists, could turn into the next Al-Queda.

haha wasn't it us who turned a group of rag tag rebels into the eventual Al-Queda and Taliban?

nkgupta80 said:
haha wasn't it us who turned a group of rag tag rebels into the eventual Al-Queda and Taliban?

No. This is a BS way to look at it. We armed them and showed them how to fight the Soviets. They turned around and made themseolves what they are today. They turned around and screwed us over and are hiding under a facade of religion.

The Iran/Iraq war was about keeping them both from tearing temselves apart. After all the world's oil supply was at stake. You won't hear Europe thanking us for this. We are talked about as the "true terrorists." Never mind that they were benifiting too. Hypocrits.

theheartbreakkid13 said:

Isn't that kinda hypocritical? You have Jesus as your avatar, and yet you approve of the killing of innocent Iraqis, US military casualties swelling, and sending bombs over populations' to "fight terrorism".

kal-el said:
Isn't that kinda hypocritical? You have Jesus as your avatar, and yet you approve of the killing of innocent Iraqis, US military casualties swelling, and sending bombs over populations' to "fight terrorism".

You have Superman as your Avatar. Isn't he supposed to protect the weak?

GySgt said:
You have Superman as your Avatar. Isn't he supposed to protect the weak?

Yes, where did you get the idea that I'm against protecting peaceful civilians? I just don't approve of blantant offense or violence.

kal-el said:
Yes, where did you get the idea that I'm against protecting peaceful civilians? I just don't approve of blantant offense or violence.
Yeah...I don't like basketball either...I can't believe those Pacers got probation...

cnredd said:
Yeah...I don't like basketball either...I can't believe those Pacers got probation...

Huh? You kinda lost me there redd. But I believe Ron Artest got suspended the rest of the regular season, and three other players involved in the brawl were suspended for like 30 games or so. The fan that set it off got arrested, I think.

kal-el said:
Huh? You kinda lost me there redd. But I believe Ron Artest got suspended the rest of the regular season, and three other players involved in the brawl were suspended for like 30 games or so. The fan that set it off got arrested, I think.
Joke...

I gotta find an avatar with an airplane going over a smilie's head...;)

cnredd said:

Ohh, I didn't know, because when people joke or use sarcasm, they usually use smilies.

I gotta find an avatar with an airplane going over a smilie's head...;)

:rofl

kal-el said:
Let see... we lost nearly 2,000 American lives, more than 30,000 civilians died, we traded a contained dictator in for a choatic situation. So you tell me, was it worth it?

Of course it was; in the War of 1812 we lost thousands of civilians and soldiers from both Britain and America. And in the end we all gained a free country, now in the next hundred years Iraq might just be a country like America.

kal-el said:
Ohh, I didn't know, because when people joke or use sarcasm, they usually use smilies.
I thought you knew me better!:doh

theheartbreakkid13 said:
Of course it was; in the War of 1812 we lost thousands of civilians and soldiers from both Britain and America. And in the end we all gained a free country, now in the next hundred years Iraq might just be a country like America.

That's the key phrase, "In the next hundred years, Iraq might be a country like America." That is a nice phrase, but it's highly doubtful. Iraqi people never had a democracy previously, in all actuality, IMO we made a bad situation much,much worse. Yea, Saddam was a bloody dictator, and his people were oppressed, but we can't stay forever,and after we leave, it most likely will fall apart, or someone as bad or worse than Saddam will take over. And then we'll be screwed.

cnredd said:
I thought you knew me better!:doh

I guess, you might as well have the "smartass" label under your name.:2razz:

kal-el said:

Yes, but you also stated a while back that saving the Iraqi people from Saddam's abuses wasn't worthy of our action.

kal-el said:
That's the key phrase, "In the next hundred years, Iraq might be a country like America." That is a nice phrase, but it's highly doubtful. Iraqi people never had a democracy previously, in all actuality, IMO we made a bad situation much,much worse. Yea, Saddam was a bloody dictator, and his people were oppressed, but we can't stay forever,and after we leave, it most likely will fall apart, or someone as bad or worse than Saddam will take over. And then we'll be screwed.

As long as the House of Saud stands, Iran continues to support the damn Palistinians, and Syria still continues to support terrorism....the entire Middle East will continue to go down their path of self-destruction.

Back
Top Bottom