• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

AG calls Martin killing an 'unnecessary shooting'

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
AG Holder weighs in the Zimmerman Martin case

AG calls Martin killing an 'unnecessary shooting' - News Nation Washington - Boston.com

WASHINGTON (AP) — Attorney General Eric Holder said Monday the killing of Trayvon Martin was a ‘‘tragic, unnecessary shooting’’ and that the 17-year-old’s death provides an opportunity for the nation to speak honestly about complicated and emotionally charged issues.

In his first comments since the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the Martin case, the attorney general said that Martin’s parents have suffered a pain that no parent should have to endure. He said the nation must not forgo an opportunity toward better understanding of one another.

AG calls Martin killing an 'unnecessary shooting' - News Nation Washington - Boston.com

WASHINGTON (AP) — Attorney General Eric Holder said Monday the killing of Trayvon Martin was a ‘‘tragic, unnecessary shooting’’ and that the 17-year-old’s death provides an opportunity for the nation to speak honestly about complicated and emotionally charged issues.

In his first comments since the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the Martin case, the attorney general said that Martin’s parents have suffered a pain that no parent should have to endure. He said the nation must not forgo an opportunity toward better understanding of one another.

I'm sure if Martin had finished the job on Zimmerman and spilled his brains all over the sidewalk that Holder would have called Zimmerman's death an "unnecessary skull crushing". Oh wait, Zimmerman is Hispanic.

Yea, anything to get the heat off of him and Obama. He is a disgrace.

I'm sure if Martin had finished the job on Zimmerman and spilled his brains all over the sidewalk that Holder would have called Zimmerman's death an "unnecessary skull crushing". Oh wait, Zimmerman is Hispanic.

Sanford PD also said it was avoidable immediately..

Like that whole black community violence rate, the numerous incidents of daily killings, blood in the street, thousands of dead bodies since those shootings, the tendency for a minority community to commit a majority of violent crimes...I agree...its definitely time to have some of those difficult discussions.

The AG has no business with this investigation at this point. It is ridiculous that the NAACP, aka, "Racists" are insisting the Justice Department investigate further. He was NOT GUILTY.

The AG has no business with this investigation at this point. It is ridiculous that the NAACP, aka, "Racists" are insisting the Justice Department investigate further. He was NOT GUILTY.

The black argument seems to be that if Zimmerman had not been profiling/following him, this would have never escalated into what it did. There would be some merit to the argument I suppose if this were not a gated community. I assume these were not public roads/sidewalks, but a visitor to the area may not have necessarily made that connection since we as a society tend to think of all neighborhood roads and sidewalks as being public.

Like that whole black community violence rate, the numerous incidents of daily killings, blood in the street, thousands of dead bodies since those shootings, the tendency for a minority community to commit a majority of violent crimes...I agree...its definitely time to have some of those difficult discussions.
What happens in the black community is not relevant to this discussion. Take the exact situation, but make the shooter black. What would your opinion be?

I don't believe Zimmerman was guilty of second degree murder, but I do believe it was too easy for him to grab his gun and shoot Trayvon in the heart. Had he not had the gun, both of them would be living today IMO.

The black argument seems to be that if Zimmerman had not been profiling/following him, this would have never escalated into what it did. There would be some merit to the argument I suppose if this were not a gated community. I assume these were not public roads/sidewalks, but a visitor to the area may not have necessarily made that connection since we as a society tend to think of all neighborhood roads and sidewalks as being public.

The correct view would be, it would not have escalated if Martin hadn't jumped Zimmerman for doing nothing illegal.

What happens in the black community is not relevant to this discussion. Take the exact situation, but make the shooter black. What would your opinion be?

I don't believe Zimmerman was guilty of second degree murder, but I do believe it was too easy for him to grab his gun and shoot Trayvon in the heart. Had he not had the gun, both of them would be living today IMO.
Make the shooter black and not hispanic and my opinion would be IDENTICAL to what it has been all along.

Had Trayvon Martin not attacked Zimmerman and not been on top of him ala MMA ground and pound and trying to bash his head in the ground, Zimmerman would not have had the reason to pull his gun and shoot him. Tell me Pete...if Martin had attacked a plainclothes off duty cop and the cop had shot him (regardless of color or race) would you still feel the shooting was unjustified?

, but I do believe it was too easy for him to grab his gun and shoot Trayvon in the heart. Had he not had the gun, both of them would be living today IMO.

Are you suggesting GZ defending himself with his firearm was LESS or MORE easy than TM's decision to physically assault GZ?
If someone is physically assaulted in that way, head on concrete etc., you believe it should be DIFFICULT to grab their gun and shoot the person assaulting them?

The correct view would be, it would not have escalated if Martin hadn't jumped Zimmerman for doing nothing illegal.

We really do not know what escalated it. Georgie Porgie choose not to tell us that yet. I suppose when the civil trial goes forward, we will find out.

We really do not know what escalated it. Georgie Porgie choose not to tell us that yet. I suppose when the civil trial goes forward, we will find out.

He actually did tell us, many times. Just because he didn't say it in court doesn't mean he didn't say it. There is NO reason for this to go further.

Yea, Zim in a coma and Trayvon in jail.
Great lives.

That's why the police operator is who raised the issue of race, not Zimmerman. :roll:

In the future, if a person is reporting a suspicious person or seeing a crime, and the police ask the witness what race the person is, the witness or caller should reply, "I refuse to answer on the basis of my 5th amendment right against self incrimination. I'm not falling for this. I know it is illegal to say what race a person is to the police - even if the police ask."

Everyone who refers to President Obama is a racist profiler and criminal.

It is a crime, according to GZ haters, to answer the police when they ask what race a person is. How absurd.

That's why the police operator is who raised the issue of race, not Zimmerman. :roll:

In the future, if a person is reporting a suspicious person or seeing a crime, and the police ask the witness what race the person is, the witness or caller should reply, "I refuse to answer on the basis of my 5th amendment right against self incrimination. I'm not falling for this. I know it is illegal to say what race a person is to the police - even if the police ask."

Everyone who refers to President Obama is a racist profiler and criminal.

It is a crime, according to GZ haters, to answer the police when they ask what race a person is. How absurd.

That does not mean it has nothing to do with race. Something happened between the 911/NEN call and the fight either way. That has never been fully fleshed out.

He actually did tell us, many times. Just because he didn't say it in court doesn't mean he didn't say it. There is NO reason for this to go further.

Sure there is--a whole lot of money on the line. The jury did not say he got off on self-defense. They had a question about the manslaughter statute just prior to them reaching the decision which would suggest the case may have been decided on the facts as they applied to an element of the statute without even ever taking up the self-defense aspect of the case. I suspect some of the jurors will find themselves subpoenaed in the civil trial though to answer that question.

Sure there is--a whole lot of money on the line. The jury did not say he got off on self-defense. They had a question about the manslaughter statute just prior to them reaching the decision which would suggest the case may have been decided on the facts as they applied to an element of the statute without even ever taking up the self-defense aspect of the case. I suspect some of the jurors will find themselves subpoenaed in the civil trial though to answer that question.

Oh good grief.

Sanford PD also said it was avoidable immediately..

Right

If Martin hadn't followed Zimmerman back to his car, attacked him and started pounding his head into the concrete MMA style, the shooting never would have happened

This post-racism administration never misses an opportunity to foment racial tension.

That does not mean it has nothing to do with race. Something happened between the 911/NEN call and the fight either way. That has never been fully fleshed out.
Well... obviously it had SOMETHING to do with race. Even Trayvons supporters acknowledge he was going to go attack a creepy ass cracker.

Are you suggesting GZ defending himself with his firearm was LESS or MORE easy than TM's decision to physically assault GZ?
If someone is physically assaulted in that way, head on concrete etc., you believe it should be DIFFICULT to grab their gun and shoot the person assaulting them?
I am saying had he not had the gun, he would have used his wits and strength to overcome Trayvon, instead his mind was focused on reaching for his gun. I also believe that since he had the gun, it made him fearless about the situation he was getting himself in.

I am saying had he not had the gun, he would have used his wits and strength to overcome Trayvon, instead his mind was focused on reaching for his gun. I also believe that since he had the gun, it made him fearless about the situation he was getting himself in.

If he meant to use his gun, he wouldn't have left it in his holster.

If he meant to use his gun, he wouldn't have left it in his holster.
If he didn't have the gun in the first place, he may have never gotten himself in the situation.

Back
Top Bottom