• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

After

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I just saw the title of the "does it bother you" thread. Regardless of your personal belief system, what do you think happens when you die? And can you please be specific (twould be appreciated) as to your reasons for thinking so?

You're dead. Your body decomposes. That's it, you're gone, no more.

You die, your body decomposes, you are not conscious. Everything you were is gone.

I believe in eternal life, but I don't believe we just stand around singing Hosannahs forever. I don't think I could make it past 10-15 minutes, if praise & worship is any indication.

I have a theory that after all the heavenly business is taken care of, we go on to be spiritual guides in other places.

You're dead. Your body decomposes. That's it, you're gone, no more.

What of the energy that was us? It just disperses?

Gone forever. There is no mystical energy making you actually you (that we are aware of).

There is the hope that God will resurrect, which I accept as a legitimate hope, but as for your physical body dying: you are simply gone, so is your conscious mind. (IMO)

All you are is electro-chemical energy existing in a physical brain. Turn off that energy, you're gone. Everything you ever were vanishes. Welcome to reality.

When we die, our spirits persist in the web of obligations that bind us to our kin; we are taken into the halls of our gods, or left to our eternal rest, but our fortune continues to influence our families.

I just saw the title of the "does it bother you" thread. Regardless of your personal belief system, what do you think happens when you die? And can you please be specific (twould be appreciated) as to your reasons for thinking so?

:shrug: I go home

:D and i'm going to find some particular folks, and we are going to get hammered. :D

The same thing that happens when you fall asleep and don't dream; oblivion.

Think of it this way: you "die" every time you fall asleep. Each day is a new life.

absolutely nothing!! Do you guys sincerely believe a single cell organism has an afterlife, I sure don't!

Nothing happens after we die. Our minds and personalities simply cease to be, and our bodies are either burned or decompose in the ground.

Our Ka travels to the realm of Thoth, where he weighs our life against a feather duster, and then we use the token he gives us to pay Charon to take us across the river Sticks, where we spend eternity in the halls of Vallhala, listening to Wagner until Rangarock, when Illuvatar undoes the music of the Ainur and the world ends, not with a bang, but a whimper.

Does it bother anybody that this is all there is?

Given. :) But for those who do.

Who cares if it bothers you? It's reality. Reality doesn't ask your opinion.

Nope, 'this' is still an entire lifetime, it's better (in my view) to be able to do what you want in 'this' than have to restrict yourself for vague promises of an afterlife.

Who cares if it bothers you? It's reality. Reality doesn't ask your opinion.

Dear Cephus;

That was English that I posted. In small words and a short sentence, I asked if it bothered YOU. I didn't say it bothered me. It doesn't. Why would your reality bother me?

"This" is not all there is. After "this", I will be remembered directly and indirectly for eternity. Seemingly insignificant actions will provoke others to think and do. Direct teachings will filter down through family generations. Ultimately, my influence here will never entirely blink out of existence, as my body will.

That's why it is so important to make the most of "this".

Nope, 'this' is still an entire lifetime, it's better (in my view) to be able to do what you want in 'this' than have to restrict yourself for vague promises of an afterlife.

it's perfectly possible to do what you want AND believe in an afterlife.

My brain tells me it's simply, "Lights out."

My heart tells me that we're living our lives in a theme park and, when it's over, we'll be asked, "Play Again?"

My heart tells me that because it is the only way I can justify a little child being born into this world with a serious illness or deformity that makes every day a living nightmare 'til they die.

Dear Cephus;

That was English that I posted. In small words and a short sentence, I asked if it bothered YOU. I didn't say it bothered me. It doesn't. Why would your reality bother me?

There is no "my" reality, there is only reality. Fine, let me restate. Who cares if it bothers *ANYBODY*? Reality isn't concerned, it just is.

Back
Top Bottom