• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

After Tokyo 2011: It's the end of [nuclear power] as we know it

With apologies to Bill Berry, Peter Buck, Mike Mills, Michael Stipe, paraphrasing the lyrics of It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine):

♪… It starts with an earthquake …

It's the end of [nuclear power] as we know it …
And I feel fine ♫​

There will be no new nuclear power plants in America. Period.

The nuclear power plants built pre-1980 are retiring and there will be no new facilities.

No more nuclear power. Not under the aegis of global climate change. Not under threat of brown outs or worse. Not ever. It's over.

When an airplane crashes, do we call for the end of flying? No. This is the third major nuclear power issue in 40+ years and new reactors have been adapted to prevent the first two issues. I'm betting the next generation of plants will be fitted with a back up system that is designed for just such an emergency. They'll probably even retrofit older stations.

I wonder if your neighbors would agree with you in accepting one of those “perfectly safe” next generation nuclear plants you speak of in your backyard.

We have one.

We need another...had rolling black outs in the winter.

Excerpted from “Smoke seen, controlled at New Hampshire nuclear plant” By Reuters, March 28 | Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:11pm EDT
[SIZE="+2"]S[/SIZE]moke billowing from an equipment elevator at a New Hampshire nuclear plant briefly triggered an "unusual event" on Monday …

This is just a reminder that everything out of the ordinary at a nuclear power plant these days is now worthy of public attention.

Back
Top Bottom