• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

After three days of doing nothing, congress heads home for the weekend

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
This is what truely infuriates me about the current state of politics in Washington.

This week in Congress: A bust - Seung Min Kim and Burgess Everett - POLITICO.com

It’s 3:15 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon. Do you know where your member of Congress is?

Tangled up in procedural hurdles, the Senate failed to advance on an energy efficiency bill trumpeted as a model of bipartisanship and called off votes for the rest of this week. The House had been already gone for several hours after swiftly passing an anti-Obamacare bill that the White House has vowed to veto and pulling a bill to fund the government amid a conservative revolt.

That meant by mid-afternoon on a Thursday, Congress was done with its work week and lawmakers were on their way home — leaving the major crises of the day unsolved. Again.

Yes, this was supposed to be one of the most consequential weeks for Congress, fresh off its annual five-week recess and facing critical votes on authorizing strikes in Syria and government funding that is about to run dry. But with the fate of military action hinging on diplomatic talks and the two parties unable to resolve differences over the budget, this week on Capitol Hill turned out to be an absolute bust — particularly on fiscal matters.

“It’s an unfortunate pattern,” said Sen. Angus King (I-Maine). “And the trouble is it’s become a standard way of doing business and it doesn’t have to be that way.”

How about we lock both houses of congress up in a room and do not let them out until they resolve the crisis facing the nation right now.

Omg- the end is nigh. ;)

Indeed. What did Obama, the teleprompter in chief, do in those three days? It seems that he went from asking congress to vote on starting a "mini-war" in Syria to saying never mind after he was told that was not likely to happen. ;)

So you defend the House scheduling 40 work days in the last FIVE months of the year.
That doesn't square with the bang for the buck meme of the TEA people.
Indeed. What did Obama, the teleprompter in chief, do in those three days? It seems that he went from asking congress to vote on starting a "mini-war" in Syria to saying never mind after he was told that was not likely to happen. ;)

House leaders plead with TEAturds to pass the debt ceiling now and ruin another Christmas later this year.
But these morons are too smart for that. They're fighting for pole position to jump the economy off the Grand Canyon before Oct.
Change the name of the ACA to HeritageCare, since that think tank invented it.
This is what truely infuriates me about the current state of politics in Washington.

This week in Congress: A bust - Seung Min Kim and Burgess Everett - POLITICO.com

How about we lock both houses of congress up in a room and do not let them out until they resolve the crisis facing the nation right now.

Last edited:
So you defend the House scheduling 40 work days in the last FIVE months of the year.
That doesn't square with the bang for the buck meme of the TEA people.

The less bucks that they are banging the better, IMHO. I recall that in January of this year that our congress critters added $60 billion in tax revenue and added $90 billion in spending - that amounted to borrowing $1 billion per day for that month. The less "productive" that congress is then the lower the national debt is likely to be. ;)

Everybody is working for the weekend except politicians.

The less bucks that they are banging the better, IMHO. I recall that in January of this year that our congress critters added $60 billion in tax revenue and added $90 billion in spending - that amounted to borrowing $1 billion per day for that month. The less "productive" that congress is then the lower the national debt is likely to be. ;)

The debt, the debt, the debt, is that all that matters!?

If we fail to act on the debt ceiling, the economic consequences will be catastrophic.

They aren't going to even bother to slow the rate at which they dig the bottomless pit so

What Difference, At This Point, Does It Make? ;)

It is not a debt ceiling it is a debt floor. ;)

I don't know about you but I fail to see the humor of a legeslature that is useful as a Inuit hedge trimmer.

They should follow the example of what the college of cardinals does when they elect a new pope: lock themselves up in the capital building and don't come out again until they finish their jobs.

They should just shut down the government and go to Christmas break early.

Since that will tank the econom. Then the GOP can claim another mission accomplished since Feb. 2011.

I don't know about you but I fail to see the humor of a legeslature that is useful as a Inuit hedge trimmer.

They should follow the example of what the college of cardinals does when they elect a new pope: lock themselves up in the capital building and don't come out again until they finish their jobs.

Their job is to establish spending priorities, stay just under the projected revenue and not to simply add X% to all of the accumulated nonsense and call that a "budget".

Back
Top Bottom