• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

After Orlando: Do you want stricter Gun Control?

Do you want stricter Gun Control?

• Yes and I'm a Republican

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • No and I'm a Republican

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Yes, and I'm a Democrat

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • No, and I'm a Democrat

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Yes, and I'm prefer another party

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • No, and I'm prefer another party

Votes: 38 51.4%

• Total voters
Penalties do nothing to stop perps who are willing to die while engaged in their nightmare.

Yes...and that's where no gun control comes into play. Perps who are willing to die can be accommodated when fewer people are restricted from owning, carrying and using firearms for self defense.

Stricter isnt really the word. Just don´t sell machine guns to crazy people

No machine guns were used in the Orlando shooting. Or any mass shooting, for that matter.

Who gets to define a crazy person. I might define it as anyone wishing to buy a machine gun. Someone else might think anyone NOT wanting a machine gun is crazy.

Actually, the MCX is, for all intents and purposes, the same exact platform as the AR. In fact, the lower receiver of an AR is completely interchangeable with the upper of the MCX. Don't get sucked into false memes.
Do you see people clamoring for bans on the Sig Sauer MCX Carbine?

Do you see people clamoring for bans on the Sig Sauer MCX Carbine?

Actually yes, the grabbers want to ban all scary looking semi-automatic rifles. That's no reason to use false propaganda on our side. ;)

That 'crazy person' (the one that did NOT purchase or use a machine gun) passed 2 FBI interviews, NICS background checks, and in depth background checks as a defense contractor. So.........you already got your wish and it still happened.

How did the Paris nightclub attack happen?

Actually yes, the grabbers want to ban all scary looking semi-automatic rifles. That's no reason to use false propaganda on our side. ;)
Are they or are they not using THIS incident to call for a ban on AR 15s?

Are they or are they not using THIS incident to call for a ban on AR 15s?

No amount of asking me the same question over and over will change the fact that you used a false meme propaganda cartoon. That's what libs do. Please stop, you're not helping. ;)

How exactly is it being totally ignored? Are you referring to mass shootings or gun violence in general?

Gun violence in particular, but all violence in general. The allowing of sick and angry people to own guns makes it all the more easy for them to create the havoc they do. People who have a desire to commit crime or commit suicide have no problem getting a weapon if they don't have one already. That's the problem calling for solutions.

NO one does anything but throw up roadblocks to potential solutions offered by some. The solutions my take decades to take hold, but we must start somewhere. Gun control, mental health mitigation, anger management, decreased poverty and who knows what.

One thing is for certain. The problem will not fix itself. The mass shootings and stabbings will continue as will the occasional bomb blasts. We should try to intervene where it is at least possible to make a difference if we collectively care to. So far we don't care enough.

To have enough laws to stop this guy from buying a firearm, would probably stop the rest of us law biding citizens.

from buying guns.

People use guns. Dogs and cats do not. Duhhh... The gun and the person are one.

The gun is the preferred weapon of choice for a reason..it's the most effective for the operation at hand.

Your attitude implies that since we can't solve human nature we are helpless to help ourselves in all areas where sick and angry people wish to create havoc. These things happen because we tolerate them and do absolutely nothing to prevent any of them. You reap what you sow. The sad part is that so many don't give a s**t.

Incorrect. The person and the gun are not one. The weapons used in Orlando are similar to those and possessed by me and millions of US citizens, yet my guns are still where they were before the shooting. None have ever shot up anything.

Actually guns are not the preferred weapon of mass murderers. Guns require an action for each killing or wounding, making them slow and inefficient. Gun banners use the term mass shooting to distract from mass murders. Otherwise their argument falls flat.

Guns are the preferred weapon of those wishing to make a statement and expecting to die. Airplanes are the preferred weapons of those who wish to inflict maximum damage whether they intend to die or not. All the mass shootings together over the past 75 years do not add up to the damage on 9/11 alone. There are dozens of airplane murders over the past 75 years.

What guns and airplanes have in common is that millions of people use both every day and the number used to murder are so small as to be insignificant. What they don't have in common is that no one seriously suggests that airplanes be banned or restricted out of existence.

50 deaths at one site is an isolated event. Like I said I am for gun control, just don't like the way politicians are handling the issue. Perhaps it is an issue best settled state by state. The one I live in believes in strong control and has laws much stricter than Federal laws. Perhaps we should learn something from the Brexit and allow states to handle the issue as their citizens want it handled.

It's an isolated case and not just the latest in a series of many major events? This is a systemic problem which takes place from coast to coast in this country on a daily basis. Angry, sick people use guns to kill.

If my state has strict gun control but an adjacent state does not my state's attempt at mitigation is hampered. It's like one state allowing severe industrial air pollution to blow with the wind over my clean state.

Gun violence in particular, but all violence in general. The allowing of sick and angry people to own guns makes it all the more easy for them to create the havoc they do. People who have a desire to commit crime or commit suicide have no problem getting a weapon if they don't have one already. That's the problem calling for solutions.

NO one does anything but throw up roadblocks to potential solutions offered by some. The solutions my take decades to take hold, but we must start somewhere. Gun control, mental health mitigation, anger management, decreased poverty and who knows what.

One thing is for certain. The problem will not fix itself. The mass shootings and stabbings will continue as will the occasional bomb blasts. We should try to intervene where it is at least possible to make a difference if we collectively care to. So far we don't care enough.

Your post contains the answers to why gun control isn't the solution.

Guns are the tool used in some mass slaughters yes... but not the only one, and not the worst. The worst was done with airplanes and boxcutters. The second and third worst were done with home made bombs.

I own guns termed "assault weapons". They are no threat to you, because I am not mentally ill nor endowed with such undying hate that I have any interest in going on a "rampage". The only way I will shoot anyone is if they are a threat to me or mine and give me no other viable option.

Possibly 310 million guns in circulation in the USA... almost one per person. 309,999,999 were not used in a massacre this week. :) This indicates that mere gun ownership is not the root of the problem.

You said it yourself: mental health issues. Someone who shoots up a lot of strangers is by definition not operating in a "normal" state of mind, typically.

You mentioned poverty. It's true poverty tends to increase crime, but is typically not related to mass shooting incidents or other acts of mass murder.

I'll add one: radical Islam. It's been the motivator for many of the worst massacres of the past 16 years.

There is no gun control solution to mass murder, especially not in a nation where there are already 310 million guns in circulation. Even if there were, mass murders have been committed with homemade bombs, swords, machetes, knives and hammers. The blades tend to be a bit less lethal, but the bombs more lethal, so your net gain is probably zero.

Studies have emerged that Europe has a lot more mass shootings/mass murders than we're generally aware of, despite very strict gun control in most countries.

Even if you banned all private ownership of guns, there's always the black market... where the Charlie Hebdo shooters got their automatic rifles (illegal in France) and rocket propelled grenade launcher (VERY illegal in France!). And there's still bombs... planes... cars and trucks... lots of options.

We'd be better off addressing our utterly dysfunctional mental health system, and maybe taking a second look at letting so many of the Jihad-radicalization-susceptible into the country...

Both instill terror and we feed into it every time it happens. Mass shooting, airline blown up, it is on every news channel 24/7 for weeks at least. Self fulfilling prophecy, we fear terror, they cause terror and we broadcast it day after day on TV, getting more scared, and effectively recruiting more terrorist. Not saying I have an answer.
Incorrect. The person and the gun are not one. The weapons used in Orlando are similar to those and possessed by me and millions of US citizens, yet my guns are still where they were before the shooting. None have ever shot up anything.

Actually guns are not the preferred weapon of mass murderers. Guns require an action for each killing or wounding, making them slow and inefficient. Gun banners use the term mass shooting to distract from mass murders. Otherwise their argument falls flat.

Guns are the preferred weapon of those wishing to make a statement and expecting to die. Airplanes are the preferred weapons of those who wish to inflict maximum damage whether they intend to die or not. All the mass shootings together over the past 75 years do not add up to the damage on 9/11 alone. There are dozens of airplane murders over the past 75 years.

What guns and airplanes have in common is that millions of people use both every day and the number used to murder are so small as to be insignificant. What they don't have in common is that no one seriously suggests that airplanes be banned or restricted out of existence.

Oh give me a break, over 30,000 people die every year in this country by gunshot. Airplane hijacking no so much.

And your guns have never shot up a place...good. Now support the doing of something to limit those which do.

Don't you think that a rather odd question? Obviously the Constitution does not allow it and the left has been hyperventilating for years on the issue without changing the Constitution. So don't worry about it. Think about things that are real.
The bolded is wrong. The Constitution allows it per the second amendment. Judges with their own unconstitutional/ideological beliefs don't.

I'm the republican that voted for stricter gun controls after Orlando...and inner city Chicago. For situations like the Orlando nightclub massacre and inner city Chicago.

Last edited:
Both instill terror and we feed into it every time it happens. Mass shooting, airline blown up, it is on every news channel 24/7 for weeks at least. Self fulfilling prophecy, we fear terror, they cause terror and we broadcast it day after day on TV, getting more scared, and effectively recruiting more terrorist. Not saying I have an answer.

At least, Mak, you understand the problem.

Well, street crime is them people, so that is different. But taking guns away from responsible citizens is just the opposite of the answer.
Oh give me a break, over 30,000 people die every year in this country by gunshot. Airplane hijacking no so much.

And your guns have never shot up a place...good. Now support the doing of something to limit those which do.

NOT ''liberal logic'', not as I know it .. I would hope that the actual ''gun control'' discussion is on a much high level ..
I favor an official ''declaration of war'' against ISIS .. and that all of ISIS and their supporters are prohibited from any gun ownership ...
This will mean that ''privacy'' is thrown to the winds ..

And based on the recent gun proposals / bills defeated in the Senate earlier this week, the right of 'due process' is thrown to those same winds.

Your post contains the answers to why gun control isn't the solution.

Guns are the tool used in some mass slaughters yes... but not the only one, and not the worst. The worst was done with airplanes and boxcutters. The second and third worst were done with home made bombs.

I own guns termed "assault weapons". They are no threat to you, because I am not mentally ill nor endowed with such undying hate that I have any interest in going on a "rampage". The only way I will shoot anyone is if they are a threat to me or mine and give me no other viable option.

Possibly 310 million guns in circulation in the USA... almost one per person. 309,999,999 were not used in a massacre this week. :) This indicates that mere gun ownership is not the root of the problem.

You said it yourself: mental health issues. Someone who shoots up a lot of strangers is by definition not operating in a "normal" state of mind, typically.

You mentioned poverty. It's true poverty tends to increase crime, but is typically not related to mass shooting incidents or other acts of mass murder.

I'll add one: radical Islam. It's been the motivator for many of the worst massacres of the past 16 years.

There is no gun control solution to mass murder, especially not in a nation where there are already 310 million guns in circulation. Even if there were, mass murders have been committed with homemade bombs, swords, machetes, knives and hammers. The blades tend to be a bit less lethal, but the bombs more lethal, so your net gain is probably zero.

Studies have emerged that Europe has a lot more mass shootings/mass murders than we're generally aware of, despite very strict gun control in most countries.

Even if you banned all private ownership of guns, there's always the black market... where the Charlie Hebdo shooters got their automatic rifles (illegal in France) and rocket propelled grenade launcher (VERY illegal in France!). And there's still bombs... planes... cars and trucks... lots of options.

We'd be better off addressing our utterly dysfunctional mental health system, and maybe taking a second look at letting so many of the Jihad-radicalization-susceptible into the country...

Gun control is part of the solution. There is no one solution. If only it were that easy! You have to take the "angry" and "sick" out of people to reduce motivation and you have to limit access to weapons which make carrying out their plan effective and easy.

It's an isolated case and not just the latest in a series of many major events? This is a systemic problem which takes place from coast to coast in this country on a daily basis. Angry, sick people use guns to kill.

If my state has strict gun control but an adjacent state does not my state's attempt at mitigation is hampered. It's like one state allowing severe industrial air pollution to blow with the wind over my clean state.

Which of these terrible events were caused by people buying weapons in one state and using them in another?

Well, street crime is them people, so that is different. But taking guns away from responsible citizens is just the opposite of the answer.

Street crime is almost never committed with legal guns. Stricter gun laws do not affect street crime. The top 10 most dangerous cities all have strict gun laws. Suicides account for much of the remainder of gun related deaths. Gun laws do not stop suicide.

A very small number get guns legally but use them in an illegal manner. Like suicides, there is no reason to believe that stricter gun laws have an effect on either suicides or street crime.

I agree with you, I was just trying to point out it is a bit more complicated than either of our two parties will admit.
Street crime is almost never committed with legal guns. Stricter gun laws do not affect street crime. The top 10 most dangerous cities all have strict gun laws. Suicides account for much of the remainder of gun related deaths. Gun laws do not stop suicide.

A very small number get guns legally but use them in an illegal manner. Like suicides, there is no reason to believe that stricter gun laws have an effect on either suicides or street crime.

Gun control is part of the solution. There is no one solution. If only it were that easy! You have to take the "angry" and "sick" out of people to reduce motivation and you have to limit access to weapons which make carrying out their plan effective and easy.

Ok. Tell me how.

Bad ass kids and firearms. There's another problem which is in need of fixing. We as a society throw our hands up in the air and do nothing except complain about it.

Back
Top Bottom