• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

After inciting riot, Trump now promises peaceful transfer of power

exoplanet

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
From CNBC
President Donald Trump is now promising an “orderly transition” of power, tweeting through a surrogate early Thursday minutes after Congress formally confirmed the election of Joe Biden as president following an hourslong takeover of the Capitol by a mob of Trump supporters.

A statement from the president on Twitter via deputy chief of staff for communications Dan Scavino repeated baseless claims of widespread voter fraud, but included the reversal.

“Even though I totally disagree with the outcome of the election, and the facts bear me out, nevertheless there will be an orderly transition on January 20th. I have always said we would continue our fight to ensure that only legal votes were counted. While this represents the end of the greatest first term in presidential history, it’s only the beginning of our fight to Make America Great Again!”
So basically, he continued to agitate his supporters with falsehoods while claiming to be working with (or at least not stopping) the transition.

We already DIDN'T HAVE A PEACEFUL TRANSITION OF POWER and this is due entirely to his supporters that he whipped up into a frenzy and told to march on the Capitol. This is outright garbage and it needs to stop.

From CNBC

So basically, he continued to agitate his supporters with falsehoods while claiming to be working with (or at least not stopping) the transition.

We already DIDN'T HAVE A PEACEFUL TRANSITION OF POWER and this is due entirely to his supporters that he whipped up into a frenzy and told to march on the Capitol. This is outright garbage and it needs to stop.
Frankly I don't believe a single word Trump utters-let alone his promises, most of which turn out empty.

It's too little too late. The worst part is he still hangs on to his failed premise, giving more fodder to those inclined to believe the fraud theories.

From CNBC

Count me as someone who tells Trump he can go **** himself. That statement clearly wasn't written by him, and if he approved it it was with roughly his entire staff threatening to walk off the job or invoke the 25th amendment. If he wants to make a statement, there are cameras ready for him to speak to the country at a moment's notice.

I think you agree, but that statement made me more angry than anything else. After the day we had yesterday, the words attributed to him aren't even close to enough. Fact is he has no choice but to exit the premises on January 20th. If he tries to stay he will be forcibly removed. So he's not accepting anything except the bare reality that he lost, it's official in every possible way, and will leave. I guess for a narcissistic psychopath to let someone else say something in your name is a step forward, but that's all it is.

The timing of AG Barr's resignation seems even more suspect now.

From CNBC

He's always on both sides of everything so he can take either of the two ways out in the end.

He's always on both sides of everything so he can take either of the two ways out in the end.
I would say he's aiming for "plausible" deniability while continuing to incite violence. There was no contrition in that statement, or anything close to what our nation needs to move forward in a stable fashion.

I would say he's aiming for "plausible" deniability while continuing to incite violence. There was no contrition in that statement, or anything close to what our nation needs to move forward in a stable fashion.
Same thing I said basically. If it were successful he could take credit. It wasn't successful so he can say he stood against it and told them to go home. Both sides.

Same thing I said basically. If it were successful he could take credit. It wasn't successful so he can say he stood against it and told them to go home. Both sides.
Sure, I don't think we really disagree. I just want to be clear that deception just happens to be the best path forward for him to achieve his ends and he has no actual interest in the peaceful transition of power.

Sure, I don't think we really disagree. I just want to be clear that deception just happens to be the best path forward for him to achieve his ends and he has no actual interest in the peaceful transition of power.
Nope he doesn't. Now he can incite-away and then just point back to "but I said peaceful..." when he's being held to account.

Too little, too late.

Back
Top Bottom