• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Afrimericans And American Racism Hiding In Plain Sight

AFRIMERICAN

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
As I have watched, and looked at all the various news profiles of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, specifically the plight of 750,000 Afrimerican people, or more, of the city of New Orleans that were left in a destitute, and desperate state of want and need, and of how little the government did to respond to such in an expedient manner, and how, even in such limited responses as are in action presently, I am appalled at the minimalistic approach taken, which in looking at the big picture, now seems more of a saving face spin control, and photo op to appear concerned, rather than a real full scale address of/to the problem before, and presently at hand.
The truth is, even now as this is written, Afrimericans, in and from New Orleans, Mississippi, and other Gulf Coast, and Southern cities hit hardest by the Hurricane are destitute, families are split apart not knowing where each other are, personal property per ones personal, and generational history is lost, ones customs and traditions are disrupted and in a state of radical change, and while all the world news medias see and discuss and broadcast the blatant governmental and corporate racism and bigotry of all facets of same, the American media white washes, and downplays the racial side, and promotes the politically correct ,and polite line like all is well, and all is being done that can be done and thats a lie.
Before writing this, I had to wait a few days to calm down , because any blind person can see the outright disregard American leaders in all strata of the business that is, and in America have per concern for Afrimericans, and it wasn't until foreign news services started pointed it out that those entities took action, and the actions taken are the bare minimum, and mark my words, that is intentful and designed to create an opening by way of natural disaster for the American government to further disenfranchise Afrimerican people.
I was curious of how the response to this compared to the response to the world trade center bombing, and what I read over and over was how people were running to the scene of the world trade center crisis to be of help to those in need, even while the buildings were still falling, and the degree of uncertainty(?) was still high, people, everyone, public, private, corporate, and government, ran to the aid of those people immediately, and didn't stop digging, searching, and helping for weeks, months, but in the case and cause of Hurricane Katrina, per the majority affected being Afrimerican, the response was null until they could not be ignored, and even now the relief response is miniscule and symbolic, anemic and purposeful in acting out the dynamics of institutional racism long been engaged to create and feed the barrier of/from equal access and equal treatment, or equal consideration as given all other race/ethnic groups of America.
And it is further disheartening and disrurbing to hear these same 750,000 Americans, Afrimerican, live on $8,000.00 a year or less, and this is not an isolated area where this occurs. A good 70% of all Afrimericans live on that, and sadly even in America The average Afrimerican lives one, or two levels below the poverty line, and barely above third world conditions, and to be fair 50% of that figure are in jail or on parole and subject to being jailed at any given time, and they live on less because of the laws that were enacted within the last seven years that if you have a felony , or any arrest, and you don't have a five year legitimate work and educational history you can't/won't be hired....,It's all indicative of the racism noted earlier and the well planned and engaed operation by the powers that be to make Afrimericans a permanent underclass in a country Afrimericans fought and died for from it's inception, and help build.
Hurricane Katrina puts the spotlight on Americas Racism, everyone can see it, for example, an aircraft carrier can house and care for thousand and is fully equipped with everything, yet none were dispatched, all the major corporations have helicopters but not one have sent their helicopter to help the people, the "BLACK" people devastated by this catastrophe, Halliburton is already designed to feed tens of thousands at a time, no word from Halliburton, you have all types of boatmakers, and boaters with large boats that didn't and won't show up, why?
Afrimerican people by and large don't have those resources at hand or on command, and it's not just because of the Hurricane, it's because America has engaged in a very deft and intentful action of restrictive practices under the guise of laws, and false projections carried out and refined over decades, and outside of the very real day to day tragedy the Afrimerican victims of Hurricane Katrina suffered, and still suffer, the relative, long term tragedy is yet to be seen because the United States will use this to further disenfranchise Afrimericans, and hide behind phoney looks of concern, politically correct spin control, and in the end blame Afrimericans for the plight they're in which is the key element of white supremist racist strategy, blame the victim...
Right now it's to early, and they are in a save face denial, fed by we weren't prepared, we don't have the resources, we don't have this or that, but as soon as that phase is done and they've get their buddies set up to administer a systematic and specific aid to the people who suffered the most from this crisis, they'll make up rules and requirements that will restrict access to such aid, and they'll blame the victim.
I'm so pissed of I can't write without being repititious so I'll Stop now. but remember you read it here first, so when it happens, don't be surprised

AFRIMERICAN said:
As I have watched, and looked at all the various news profiles of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, specifically the plight of 750,000 Afrimerican people, or more, of the city of New Orleans that were left in a destitute, and desperate state of want and need, and of how little the government did to respond to such in an expedient manner, and how, even in such limited responses as are in action presently, I am appalled at the minimalistic approach taken, which in looking at the big picture, now seems more of a saving face spin control, and photo op to appear concerned, rather than a real full scale address of/to the problem before, and presently at hand.
The truth is, even now as this is written, Afrimericans, in and from New Orleans, Mississippi, and other Gulf Coast, and Southern cities hit hardest by the Hurricane are destitute, families are split apart not knowing where each other are, personal property per ones personal, and generational history is lost, ones customs and traditions are disrupted and in a state of radical change, and while all the world news medias see and discuss and broadcast the blatant governmental and corporate racism and bigotry of all facets of same, the American media white washes, and downplays the racial side, and promotes the politically correct ,and polite line like all is well, and all is being done that can be done and thats a lie.
Before writing this, I had to wait a few days to calm down , because any blind person can see the outright disregard American leaders in all strata of the business that is, and in America have per concern for Afrimericans, and it wasn't until foreign news services started pointed it out that those entities took action, and the actions taken are the bare minimum, and mark my words, that is intentful and designed to create an opening by way of natural disaster for the American government to further disenfranchise Afrimerican people.
I was curious of how the response to this compared to the response to the world trade center bombing, and what I read over and over was how people were running to the scene of the world trade center crisis to be of help to those in need, even while the buildings were still falling, and the degree of uncertainty(?) was still high, people, everyone, public, private, corporate, and government, ran to the aid of those people immediately, and didn't stop digging, searching, and helping for weeks, months, but in the case and cause of Hurricane Katrina, per the majority affected being Afrimerican, the response was null until they could not be ignored, and even now the relief response is miniscule and symbolic, anemic and purposeful in acting out the dynamics of institutional racism long been engaged to create and feed the barrier of/from equal access and equal treatment, or equal consideration as given all other race/ethnic groups of America.
And it is further disheartening and disrurbing to hear these same 750,000 Americans, Afrimerican, live on $8,000.00 a year or less, and this is not an isolated area where this occurs. A good 70% of all Afrimericans live on that, and sadly even in America The average Afrimerican lives one, or two levels below the poverty line, and barely above third world conditions, and to be fair 50% of that figure are in jail or on parole and subject to being jailed at any given time, and they live on less because of the laws that were enacted within the last seven years that if you have a felony , or any arrest, and you don't have a five year legitimate work and educational history you can't/won't be hired....,It's all indicative of the racism noted earlier and the well planned and engaed operation by the powers that be to make Afrimericans a permanent underclass in a country Afrimericans fought and died for from it's inception, and help build.
Hurricane Katrina puts the spotlight on Americas Racism, everyone can see it, for example, an aircraft carrier can house and care for thousand and is fully equipped with everything, yet none were dispatched, all the major corporations have helicopters but not one have sent their helicopter to help the people, the "BLACK" people devastated by this catastrophe, Halliburton is already designed to feed tens of thousands at a time, no word from Halliburton, you have all types of boatmakers, and boaters with large boats that didn't and won't show up, why?
Afrimerican people by and large don't have those resources at hand or on command, and it's not just because of the Hurricane, it's because America has engaged in a very deft and intentful action of restrictive practices under the guise of laws, and false projections carried out and refined over decades, and outside of the very real day to day tragedy the Afrimerican victims of Hurricane Katrina suffered, and still suffer, the relative, long term tragedy is yet to be seen because the United States will use this to further disenfranchise Afrimericans, and hide behind phoney looks of concern, politically correct spin control, and in the end blame Afrimericans for the plight they're in which is the key element of white supremist racist strategy, blame the victim...
Right now it's to early, and they are in a save face denial, fed by we weren't prepared, we don't have the resources, we don't have this or that, but as soon as that phase is done and they've get their buddies set up to administer a systematic and specific aid to the people who suffered the most from this crisis, they'll make up rules and requirements that will restrict access to such aid, and they'll blame the victim.
I'm so pissed of I can't write without being repititious so I'll Stop now. but remember you read it here first, so when it happens, don't be surprised

Aren't they just Americans? How is it that you see race while I do not? Race bating is ridiculous in the face of a natural disaster.

I think you may be reading too much into this. Its not about race, its about class. And its less about malice, more about a failure to consider peoples circumstances. The evacuation order sort of rested on the belief that people would just jump into their cars with some food and bottled water and head out of town. Little was done to account for the needs of those, black white or otherwise, who had no access to transportation or money, or who were too old and/or sick to make it out of their homes, much less the city. Our leaders, Democrat and Republican both, dwell in a fantasyland where everyone has means to do whatever needs to be done in an emergency. Where being unemployed means you got a golden parachute from Enron.

Until there is serious campaign finance reform, this will probably continue to be true. Its hard to focus on those with nothing when you need the support of the wealthy just to keep going.

curisz said:
I think you may be reading too much into this. Its not about race, its about class. And its less about malice, more about a failure to consider peoples circumstances. The evacuation order sort of rested on the belief that people would just jump into their cars with some food and bottled water and head out of town. Little was done to account for the needs of those, black white or otherwise, who had no access to transportation or money, or who were too old and/or sick to make it out of their homes, much less the city. Our leaders, Democrat and Republican both, dwell in a fantasyland where everyone has means to do whatever needs to be done in an emergency. Where being unemployed means you got a golden parachute from Enron.

Until there is serious campaign finance reform, this will probably continue to be true. Its hard to focus on those with nothing when you need the support of the wealthy just to keep going.

I want to know where the governor was at?

Race bating is an ideom and act composed and implemented majorily by whites, and non Blacks, who serve and are well served and insulated within the strata of privilege of the ruling class that rules by such tactics, and while the predicate of race is at the fore of this dialog, the dynamics of class and privilege and access is parallel, and worthy of greater or at least equal consideration.
In fact while the various shades and practices of exclusionary racism is very visible, everyone is going to extremes to act like race has nothing to do with the "reponse" to the tragedy in/of the aftermath of the hurricane.
I live here, I live with the spectre, and under the very real racial, class, and relative biases America, white America is noted for in countless historical events since it became an independent nation, and I'll venture further to say to accuse me of race bating for stating what's so obvious to all the non American media, evidences you support said negative racism and exclusion of Afrimericans to upper echelon class, and privilege norms, that on a purely human level and theoretically, should be open and available to all, but is not, and if you can't see it, or refuse to acknowledge such exist, you exemplify, and amplify the the nature of the topic by one, and your accusatory tact is a clear example of what I meant when I wrote the main practice of white supremist racism is to blame the victim, you've done that well herein.
The second practices is to act like race doesn't exist and it's about the problem, but race does exist, and in America, as in most places in the world the darker your skin the less access one has to whatever is available, and that is clearly demonstrated by the the hurricane aid and rescue response.
And while I hesitated to join the fray of other voices, especially nearly all the major non-American media voices that see and say the same as I do, I got to thinking that the people that didn't leave realized what many others could not see in the face of danger, which is they had left they had no place to go, and worse, when the crisis is over and the repairs and rebuilding is done they won't have anything to come back to because it will be annexed, and claimed by whites who have the resources to buy the lands abandoned, and thus offset the cost of rebuilding, and also recreating a new financial and social infrastructure that, per institutional racism, again serves to exclude Afrimericans and keep the race without and wanting, and blamed for something not their fault.
Therein lies the beauty of this situation, because this situation eliminates the dynamic of blaming the victim as you cleverly have tried to do. The evidence of all I've written is confirmed by countless news reports, and you'd have to be an idiot or of an extreme blind racism not acknowledge such is true, which, per what you wrote, is your way of saying they got or didn't get what they deserved because of some arbitrary claim that is used to hide or shade the exclusionary racist acts America, and the world engages in when it comes to Afrimericans, and Negroid people anywhere.
The true measure of what I've written and allude to has not yet begun to be realized, but two, four, seven years from now you'll be reading about the hundreds of thousands Afrimericans still displaced and dysfunctional from this tragedy, and how they have nothing and access to little, and what they had, and the city of New Orleans will become a mecca for whites who want to usurp and pimp the traditions of Afrimerican New Orleans for personal profit.
I welcome all feedback, but try to look in the mirror of your own racism before pointing the finger, I did, and in the final analysis, the facts are the facts, and I quantified my view in examining various sources to get a clear view of the facts....., This is fact.

Go To A Poor Black Neighborhood And Live There For A Year, Then Report Here What It Is Like, Until Then You Are Not Qualified To Discuss This.

As far as the after effects of displacement, I think you are probably right. If New Orleans is rebuilt it will basically be the "Old New Orleans" theme park. New Orleans as a vital, living, historical city is pretty much done. The poor who lived there will not be returning.

I still don't think the response to Katrina was the deliberate racism you seem to believe it was. I honestly believe America has mostly gotten over that, although there are certainly exceptions, and private discrimination is still very much an unfortunate part of life.

On a side note, just some advice: If you break your posts down into smaller paragraphs with discrete points you will probably get better response. Personally I find lenghty posts difficult to digest electronically otherwise. Probably because I don't run my finger down the screen like I do on a page when I read a book. :2razz:

AFRIMERICAN said:
Go To A Poor Black Neighborhood And Live There For A Year, Then Report Here What It Is Like, Until Then You Are Not Qualified To Discuss This.

Ya know, I think all ya really need is empathy. Granted, its not everyone's strong suit. But I can certainly imagine a life besieged by crime and drugs, almost everyone out of work, noone seems to care, people who were pushed through school by bureaucrats without ever really learning, parents can't help because they were treated the same way, the basic services everyone else takes for granted being a struggle. The drug dealers the only ones with any money. It's not an easy place to be.

On the other hand, I could just talk to my fiancee'. She lived in Chicago's Englewood neighborhood until about 4 years ago when she moved in with me.

AFRIMERICAN said:

How about I work and pay for a better place to live? Then I can live anywhere I want.

First let me say that I wish people could have waited a little longer before they started making this mess political. Secondly there are now reports which say the governor of La was asked if she wanted federal assistance and she said she needed 24 hours to think about it. So is she racist.
Here is a good article to read, it helps explain why the help was delayed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/03/AR2005090301680_pf.html

Here is an excerpt about the gov.

"Louisiana did not reach out to a multi-state mutual aid compact for assistance until Wednesday, three state and federal officials said. As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said."

And by the way I did live in the ghetto, and being one of only two white kids in my neighbor hood, all the racism I was exposed to was directed at me. I know racism exists and I can only hope, and pray, that the people in charge down there are not willing to let others die because of their color or class.
I don't want to argue I only hope you are wrong about this.

I personally think that the flaw in black communitys is that black is beautiful was replaced with nigga please!

The implied conclusion is blacks live in poor degrading conditions because they don't or won't work, that's very racist of you, you prove the title point, and did exactly what was described as the first rule of white supremist, blame the victim.
there are so many mitigating, and a plethora of litigating factors to this and relative matters, I bore easy with and when racist assholes play the stereotype record,
you missed or ignored the point completely, which is to have that experience before summing a conclusion.
I am well educated, fairly good looking, contemporary dresser, and when I apply for employment, I'm usually told I'm over qualified, or if given the job I'm the token Negro, and when I implement or suggest productive and profitable ideas, I usually get a new person to train and I get fired, and as for a residence I've had to file or threaten to file suit to get the Apt, in the area I want to live in, and it was just two years ago a friend was buying a house in Beverly hills, Ca. and it's homestead protection agreement had a clause that voided such protection if a Black was ever sold the house or allowed to live on the property.
Go to the David Duke KKK site with that B.S.
As for the Governors action, or lack of, even without federal assistance the nations everyone should have immediately ran to those peoples aid the same as was done 911.
Even with the aid being given, it's still the bare minimum, and everyones claiming and playing the fool, dumbfounded role, and pointing at each other, but it's all smoke and mirrors because this disaster has opened the door for the new carpetbaggers to go and take over New Orleans, and while all the other stuff is going on on the surface, back room deals are being made, and when the dust settles you'll see people and companies never heard of, will own the city.

It helps that I stole that quote directly from a black man

named bill cosby.

There is a certain point where subculture either lashes out against the greater numbers of society for what ever reason, sometimes it resists change, sometimes its because we really are abusive, and the list could go on for hours. At least I believe this, but after this point, it seems to live in much harmony with other members of a society that they once held grudges with.

Maybe I don't have all my facts straight, but I trust more than just you will enlighten me on this if I don't..

Last edited:
128shot said:
I personally think that the flaw in black communitys is that black is beautiful was replaced with nigga please!

YOU'RE RIGHT, BUT ALSO LOOK AT THE MESSAGES AND IMAGES SAME ARE BOMBARDED WITH BY THE MEDIAS, AND RESEARCH THE PSYCHOLOGICAL DYNAMICS OF INSTITUTIONALIZED RACISM.

It helps that blacks star in rap videos that really de-grade your rich culture....

AFRIMERICAN said:
The implied conclusion is blacks live in poor degrading conditions because they don't or won't work, that's very racist of you, you prove the title point, and did exactly what was described as the first rule of white supremist, blame the victim.
there are so many mitigating, and a plethora of litigating factors to this and relative matters, I bore easy with and when racist assholes play the stereotype record,
you missed or ignored the point completely, which is to have that experience before summing a conclusion.
I am well educated, fairly good looking, contemporary dresser, and when I apply for employment, I'm usually told I'm over qualified, or if given the job I'm the token Negro, and when I implement or suggest productive and profitable ideas, I usually get a new person to train and I get fired, and as for a residence I've had to file or threaten to file suit to get the Apt, in the area I want to live in, and it was just two years ago a friend was buying a house in Beverly hills, Ca. and it's homestead protection agreement had a clause that voided such protection if a Black was ever sold the house or allowed to live on the property.
Go to the David Duke KKK site with that B.S.
As for the Governors action, or lack of, even without federal assistance the nations everyone should have immediately ran to those peoples aid the same as was done 911.
Even with the aid being given, it's still the bare minimum, and everyones claiming and playing the fool, dumbfounded role, and pointing at each other, but it's all smoke and mirrors because this disaster has opened the door for the new carpetbaggers to go and take over New Orleans, and while all the other stuff is going on on the surface, back room deals are being made, and when the dust settles you'll see people and companies never heard of, will own the city.

I did no such thing, i stated what I would do. You assumed it to be racist. Makes me question your racial biased actually. My first job was for 4 bux an hour. From there I moved up or on. I am not going to try and tell you that oppurtuniy is the same for all. But it isnot stunted in all cases of race either. There are black men and woman that seemed to find the way or the will to get out of there situations. The prospect of making minimum wage is daunting when the offer of bigger money is available for less legal ways. Your choices in life will plot a definet course in your life. Life is not always fair, but what you make of it is up to you for the most part. There seem to be a lot of very good hard working black people out there. They grew up in times that were not the easiest. But they found a way to survive and make it. Do you have a solution to these problems? Is there a way to lessen the problems or effects your talking about?

As far as I'm concerned, all tradgeys end up being blessing in desguish if you are willing to play it through and don't give up..

Afriman,
Since you seem to be very quick to infer someones background by the comments let me give you mine first. I live and grew up in south louisiana with more blacks than whites around me. I am not racist, not that growing up in a black area makes any difference except that you seem to think unless you did whatever anyone says means nothing. The black mayor knew he would have about 200,000 thousand who didnt have cars to leave. The entire fleet of New Orleans school busses are flooded out left doing nothing.He knew the superdome did not have provisions to feed 1 much less thousands. The La. state govener did nothing but wring her hands in indecision. The govener and some state legislaters who were put in primarily by the black vote from New Orleans were having pat on the back media sessions while people were losing everything. Until the Military got here you were taking your life into your hands just being here. I am unwinding after working for days over here and I come here to read this CRAP. Now we are back in our community because they are there doing a great job regardless of what color you are. We are putting up thousands of evacuees(oh sorry you say blacks) in our homes and community centers. We are working around the clock to feed and give them medical attention. I think there are good and bad people of every color because I have seen this from my lifes experiences. In my opinion if you were white you would be with David Duke every step of the way.

Re:

Afrimericans And American Racism Hiding In Plain Sight

Who cares. If you dont like it here go back to africa. I am not a racist I just hate it when people play the idiotic race card issue.

You want some advice black people?

Go and get a job. And stop whining to yourselves and expecting handouts(I will not argue that giving in the midst of katrina is valid). But get your lazy a$$es off welfare. And no I dont care if some woman has 10kids to feed. Thats why we should have progrms for kids not crack whores. Everyone has the opportunity to make something of themselves its up to you to make it happen. Look at Powell prime example. I love that guy and I wouldnt mind voting for him instead of hillary.

Care to argue with that?

AFRIMERICAN said:
YOU'RE RIGHT, BUT ALSO LOOK AT THE MESSAGES AND IMAGES SAME ARE BOMBARDED WITH BY THE MEDIAS, AND RESEARCH THE PSYCHOLOGICAL DYNAMICS OF INSTITUTIONALIZED RACISM.

The only message I see right now is your name, and that tells me that you would not like to be called "American" which is all-inclusive, and instead be called "Afimercican" which separates you from the rest.

You want the same consideration as everyone else? Join the party and stop hanging out on the porch...Shed your "Afrimerican" name and become an "American"...just like everyone else...

AFRIMERICAN said:

Well, it wasn't a year, only about 8 months. Do you want to know what it was like being a poor white person living in a poor black neighborhood?

House broken into about once a week.

Racist grafitti on my house and car.

Getting robbed at gunpoint by the person I gave a ride to the previous week

Having someone crap on my porch.

Having my car vandalized.

Having windows broken out of my house.

And after all that, I still don't give a rat's @$$ what the colour of somebody's skin is.

BTW, if you want to check out the neighborhood, It was Saginaw, MI, on Lapeer St between 5th and 6th.

Re:

SKILMATIC said:
Who cares. If you dont like it here go back to africa. I am not a racist I just hate it when people play the idiotic race card issue.

You want some advice black people?

Go and get a job. And stop whining to yourselves and expecting handouts(I will not argue that giving in the midst of katrina is valid). But get your lazy a$$es off welfare. And no I dont care if some woman has 10kids to feed. Thats why we should have progrms for kids not crack whores. Everyone has the opportunity to make something of themselves its up to you to make it happen. Look at Powell prime example. I love that guy and I wouldnt mind voting for him instead of hillary.

Care to argue with that?

Yep.

First of all, I think you should be thrown out of anywhere you walk into when you say "You want some advice black people?" and "Go back to Africa if you don't like it!"

So, why is Powell a good role-model to all black people? That's what you're saying, isn't it?
Then lets take Bush, as The President and as a good role model to all good white folks, shall we?, I mean they're pardner's and such...

Nope, everyone does not have the opportunity to be what they want. If it were such a way, then I'd be President of the USA...Save your bullshit 'Everyone's Dream is attainable' rhetoric.

You're one of those guy that says "I'M NOT RACIST!" but you are... You have racist feelings and you've expressed it, quite openly.

I'd rather be on welfare than work with you, fella.

Last edited:
Re:

I'd rather work for him knowing I can move on in life than be on welfare, fella.

Sometimes you just have to deal, its a harsh reality...

I think most white people (including myself) are subconciously racist, so for many of us white guys, I dunno if saying that we aren't racist is right, if what I just stated holds true to the majority of us.

Same with black people, many have subconcious tendancys to lash out against us sometimes.

Re:

128shot said:
I think most white people (including myself) are subconciously racist, so for many of us white guys, I dunno if saying that we aren't racist is right, if what I just stated holds true to the majority of us.

I see. So, what it was all just 'subconcious' racism?

Quote: "Want some advice black people? get a job"

Sounded pretty upfront to me.

Back
Top Bottom