• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

African Americans and stupid stereotypes

alphieb

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I grew up in an all white and very prejudice community. I now live in a small predominantly white community. I truly have never went to school or worked with blacks until today. I got called on a nursing job in a big city. Some of the staff was white and some black (about half and half). I will tell you what, the blacks were easier to get along with and harder working. They were all very friendly and went out of their way to help me. The point I'm trying to make is, all of that nonsense about blacks being whatever ignorant people say they are is bullshit. I would ask a white girl a question and she would not reply or basically say, "do it yourself". The African Americans were much more helpful.

I'm simply pointing this out, because I had never really interacted with blacks. After Katrina, I heard so much nonsense and stereotypes.

I grew up in DoD Schools abroad where diversity was so accepted it wasn't even noticed. I (and most kids in this environment) really wasn't ever faced with racism until I came to the States after graduation. Everyone here seems to be so aware and over sensitive to all things concerning "racist." The first thing I noticed was how "racism" was used as a crutch and an excuse. Some kids would bring the racial attitude across the ocean, because their fathers executed orders. This racial mentality never lasted, because the individual quickly noticed that it's stupid and he was now in an environment where it didn't work.

Last edited:
GySgt said:
I grew up in DoD Schools abroad where diversity was so accepted it wasn't even noticed. I (and most kids in this environment) really wasn't ever faced with racism until I came to the States after graduation. Everyone here seems to be so aware and over sensitive to all things concerning "racist." The first thing I noticed was how "racism" was used as a crutch and an excuse. Some kids would bring the racial attitude across the ocean, because their fathers executed orders. This racial mentality never lasted, because the individual quickly noticed that it's stupid and he was now in an environment where it didn't work.

I didn't notice any "racist card" at all. I just really appreciated how well I was treated.

In my experience, it depends on where you live. When I was younger, I attended schools in Soutch Carolina, where we had a pretty good mix of students that were white, black, Hispanic, and Asian. Most everyone got along with everyone else....but then again, we were all kids!! We moved to Minnesota when I was fourteen, and it was quite a culture shock....My town only had a handful of Aisans and Hispanics, and for the first couple of years, NO black families. My junior year, we got three, one of whom was a year ahead of me, the other two were in my class. And all three of them were some of the sweetest people I ever met.

But if you went walking around Minneapolis at night.....that was another story. In my experiences there, most of the black people were living up to the stereotypes. Fights and drug deals on the corners....rap music blaring out of car stereos....just to name a couple.

Now here I am back in the South....and my experiences have been a mixture of both. I've seen plenty of blacks that seem to be trying to live up to the stereotypes....but a majority of them are just as sweet as can be, and are no different from you and I in any way other than their skin color, which certainly doesn't make a significant difference in my mind. My husband's best friend is black, and his parents are like another set of parents to us.

Have you ever watched Chris Rock's "Bigger & Blacker"? I think he hit the nail on the head. The difference is that there are black people, and then there are n*****s. Yeesh, I hate that word. But it's true. Black people are the ones like the guys I went to school with, hubby's best friend, and his parents. No different from us, they're just trying to make a living and be happy. But the other are the ones like those I've encountered in places like Minneapolis, the ones that try to live up to and embrace the stereotypes.

But you can find that in all cultures....there are some white people that try to live up to certain stereotypes as well. It's a part of life, and at some point, you can't escape it. If people weren't so quick to stereotype anyone that's in any way different from them, I really don't think we'd have problems like we do today....but as long as a stereotype exists, there will be someone that tries to live up to that, and all it does is hold EVERYONE back.

Stace said:
In my experience, it depends on where you live. When I was younger, I attended schools in Soutch Carolina, where we had a pretty good mix of students that were white, black, Hispanic, and Asian. Most everyone got along with everyone else....but then again, we were all kids!! We moved to Minnesota when I was fourteen, and it was quite a culture shock....My town only had a handful of Aisans and Hispanics, and for the first couple of years, NO black families. My junior year, we got three, one of whom was a year ahead of me, the other two were in my class. And all three of them were some of the sweetest people I ever met.

But if you went walking around Minneapolis at night.....that was another story. In my experiences there, most of the black people were living up to the stereotypes. Fights and drug deals on the corners....rap music blaring out of car stereos....just to name a couple.

Now here I am back in the South....and my experiences have been a mixture of both. I've seen plenty of blacks that seem to be trying to live up to the stereotypes....but a majority of them are just as sweet as can be, and are no different from you and I in any way other than their skin color, which certainly doesn't make a significant difference in my mind. My husband's best friend is black, and his parents are like another set of parents to us.

Have you ever watched Chris Rock's "Bigger & Blacker"? I think he hit the nail on the head. The difference is that there are black people, and then there are n*****s. Yeesh, I hate that word. But it's true. Black people are the ones like the guys I went to school with, hubby's best friend, and his parents. No different from us, they're just trying to make a living and be happy. But the other are the ones like those I've encountered in places like Minneapolis, the ones that try to live up to and embrace the stereotypes.

But you can find that in all cultures....there are some white people that try to live up to certain stereotypes as well. It's a part of life, and at some point, you can't escape it. If people weren't so quick to stereotype anyone that's in any way different from them, I really don't think we'd have problems like we do today....but as long as a stereotype exists, there will be someone that tries to live up to that, and all it does is hold EVERYONE back.

Lots of black people, especially males, seem to believe that the MTV/BET music video is what should define them. I wonder, what causes someone to try and uphold a stereotype? Is it psychological, or just the effect of television?

When I was in the Navy I was stationed at Mayport Florida....this was in the sixties......I played on a station babeball team which had several black guys on it and we won the championship.........After the game someone suggested that we go out to Jacksonville Beach to one of the local watering holes and party.......I was really surprised to hear that the black guys said they would not be welcome there, so we said the hell with it and went into Jacksonville to the black section of that town........Well except for 5 or 6 of us white guys I did not see another white person all night..............I can tell you that I have never had a better time and will never forget that night.........

Coming from up north It shows how naive I was though.....

Navy Pride said:
When I was in the Navy I was stationed at Mayport Florida....this was in the sixties......I played on a station babeball team which had several black guys on it and we won the championship.........After the game someone suggested that we go out to Jacksonville Beach to one of the local watering holes and party.......I was really surprised to hear that the black guys said they would not be welcome there, so we said the hell with it and went into Jacksonville to the black section of that town........Well except for 5 or 6 of us white guys I did not see another white person all night..............I can tell you that I have never had a better time and will never forget that night.........

Coming from up north It shows how naive I was though.....

You got laid didn't you! No, I'm just kidding.....or did you...

alphieb said:
I grew up in an all white and very prejudice community. I now live in a small predominantly white community. I truly have never went to school or worked with blacks until today. I got called on a nursing job in a big city. Some of the staff was white and some black (about half and half). I will tell you what, the blacks were easier to get along with and harder working. They were all very friendly and went out of their way to help me. The point I'm trying to make is, all of that nonsense about blacks being whatever ignorant people say they are is bullshit. I would ask a white girl a question and she would not reply or basically say, "do it yourself". The African Americans were much more helpful.

I'm simply pointing this out, because I had never really interacted with blacks. After Katrina, I heard so much nonsense and stereotypes.

You're such a sweetheart, alphieb ;)

Yes, most African Americans in real life are far removed from the way they're portrayed by the media. I work for a very large company and so I'm around black people. They're all nice people, just like yourself.

alphieb said:
I grew up in an all white and very prejudice community.

Me too. And I've dated whites, blacks, japs and indians and every conceivable mix of those plus german irish polish whatever.

I'm mainly Irish/German/whatever. My ex is a mutt, too: Italian, Indian and whatever.

Our kids have a pretty good idea just how important race is: It isn't. They tease me about being a Nazi and I call them both Guineas when I'm on a roll. But it is all in good fun since they understand the bloodline. We're all mutts. Period.

Is there any such thing as a pure white man? I doubt it. Americans are pure Americans, no doubt, but your heritage is always in doubt.

Not that I care about my heritage as much as I care about my future in my home nation.

fooligan said:
Me too. And I've dated whites, blacks, japs and indians and every conceivable mix of those plus german irish polish whatever.

I'm mainly Irish/German/whatever. My ex is a mutt, too: Italian, Indian and whatever.

Our kids have a pretty good idea just how important race is: It isn't. They tease me about being a Nazi and I call them both Guineas when I'm on a roll. But it is all in good fun since they understand the bloodline. We're all mutts. Period.

Is there any such thing as a pure white man? I doubt it. Americans are pure Americans, no doubt, but your heritage is always in doubt.

Not that I care about my heritage as much as I care about my future in my home nation.

My father was 100% Irish. My mother diverse with Irish as well. So I have A LOT of Irish in me. However, we are all just Americans.

alphieb said:

So your basing your informed opinion on 15 black woman at work?.....hmmm ok

Try walking down a few streets around here after night.. See how friendly people really are...lol

alphieb said:
My father was 100% Irish. My mother diverse with Irish as well. So I have A LOT of Irish in me. However, we are all just Americans.

That is why I have a problem with blacks calling themselves African American.....I am Irish and German but I don't call myself Irish German American........I am just and American.......In my opinion the only people that are actually African American are the ones who were born in Africa, immigrated to the U.S. and became citizens......

Other then that we all are just Americans.......

Word up...........

SpencerWilliamsAnA.jpg

More insane stereotypes about African American brethren.....

secchild.gif

revolution.JPG

426x104.jpg

72_aunt_jemima.jpg

Navy Pride said:
That is why I have a problem with blacks calling themselves African American.....I am Irish and German but I don't call myself Irish German American........I am just and American.......In my opinion the only people that are actually African American are the ones who were born in Africa, immigrated to the U.S. and became citizens......

Other then that we all are just Americans.......

Correct!!!!!!!! I don't call myself an Irish American. Although, I do respect my heritage. However, I am an American plain and simple. We are ALL very diverse in this country.

Captain America said:
More insane stereotypes about African American brethren.....

secchild.gif

revolution.JPG

426x104.jpg

72_aunt_jemima.jpg

Cute Child...... Is the pic of the man in the water a Katrina victim???????? If so, I don't blame him, I would be boozing it up too.

By the way, I don't see one ugly photo in those pic's. I'm referring to fugly.com.

I am a Texan-American. Yee-haw! :2usflag:

:memorial_ :july_4th:

Calm2Chaos said:
So your basing your informed opinion on 15 black woman at work?.....hmmm ok

Yes, because I have nothing else to base it on. I have never been around them. However, first impressions are lasting.

Captain America said:
I am a Texan-American. Yee-haw! :2usflag:

I am a damn yankee...........:2usflag: :gunsmilie :respekt:

Bet I live farther north than you do....

:2wave:

Pleezed to meet ya.

alphieb said:
Correct!!!!!!!! I don't call myself an Irish American. Although, I do respect my heritage. However, I am an American plain and simple. We are ALL very diverse in this country.

We all respect and are proud of our heritage but we are Americans first........

My Pappy was a pistol, I'm a son-of-a-gun.

Back
Top Bottom