• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

African American

SKILMATIC said:
Oooh oooh oohh DOES THIS MEAN I GET TO CALL HIM A MENTAL DISORDER NOW? :rofl

In the Basement you can...;)

happykat said:
I know I'm new.........but are these discussion usually so full of horse s**t?
The basement is not moderated and not public so yes it can get pretty dern strange.

cnredd said:
In the Basement you can...;)

Alright! Afrimerican is a mental disorder nany nany boo boo. Its ok afriamerican if you listen to me I can alleviate your mental case and you wont have to attend the nuthouse anymore. Or maybe you like it there?

Navy Pride said:
I have a friend who is black.He detests the name african american..He says he is just and American and he is right........

You and your damned friends, geez.

Anyway, I have said before, I don't want to be called just 'American', it denies our history and what we have been through. American history is the Revolution, Manifest Destiny, etc. African American/Black/whatever history is very different, and therefore the people that have resulted from that history are different. I mean think about it, when your in America, who is referred as 'American'? No one, you could be asian, black, hispanic, white, etc. B/C each race in America has a different history. What is wrong with being different?

HTColeman said:

Anyway, I have said before, I don't want to be called just 'American', it denies our history and what we have been through. American history is the Revolution, Manifest Destiny, etc. African American/Black/whatever history is very different, and therefore the people that have resulted from that history are different. I mean think about it, when your in America, who is referred as 'American'? No one, you could be asian, black, hispanic, white, etc. B/C each race in America has a different history. What is wrong with being different?
Nothing is wrong with being different. What's wrong with being cohesive? Why do we have to seperate ourselves into this group or that group or this label or that label? Being just an American doesn't deny anyone's history.....it embraces it and integrates it.
That being said.........call yourself whatever you like. I know I will.;)

HTColeman said:

and what history is that
most dont even know where they come from
most were sold into slavery by their own people

Anyway, I have said before, I don't want to be called just 'American', it denies our history and what we have been through.

I have never heard in my life when I was in Europe they never call blacks in France french africans or german africans or spanish africans. So why would we call you guys african americans? If you want the title african then go back to africa. A matter of fact I will pay your one way ticket there. Let me know. The only thing I ask is you can never come back here ever again.

and what history is that
Point? The history of the black population is in America is a bit different from that of the white population's.

HTColeman said:

To want the history of your ancestors included in American History is a righteous desire and worthy of fighting for. To think of your history as separate from American History is quite something else again. I think each of this generation shares in the whole history and any part of it is not exclusive to any of us. Our history may have a bearing on the hand life deals us to play, but neither our environment nor our heritage can dictate what values we will embrace or the choices we will make Ultimately it is not our history, but it is our values and the choices we make that determines who and what we are. And that inludes a choice to be different.

HTColeman said:
Anyway, I have said before, I don't want to be called just 'American',

I'll call you African American if you call me European American. Then there's Latin Americans, Chinese Americans, Irish Americans, and then there's Billo, we're not sure. Gets kinda silly after a while don't you think?

HTColeman said:

So lets do as much as possible to drive a wedge of any sort between people. Everyone is called an American. When asked about there heritage or there decendents they may refer to Italian American, or Asian Americans. BVut in the end they are simply Americans ad happy to be known as such. Just seems like another way to seperate yourself from the whole

Calm2Chaos said:
So lets do as much as possible to drive a wedge of any sort between people. Everyone is called an American. When asked about there heritage or there decendents they may refer to Italian American, or Asian Americans. BVut in the end they are simply Americans ad happy to be known as such. Just seems like another way to seperate yourself from the whole

It is interesting to see that Argentina has a make up much like the US and they don't hyphenate themselves. They are all Argentinians. You have to really sort of press them for their ancestral history. We seem to be the only country that places so much importance on our ancestors.

Inuyasha said:
It is interesting to see that Argentina has a make up much like the US and they don't hyphenate themselves. They are all Argentinians. You have to really sort of press them for their ancestral history. We seem to be the only country that places so much importance on our ancestors.

only a few select groups choose to do so

DeeJayH said:
only a few select groups choose to do so

Actually only one. Most other groups use it as a designation to seperate themselves during specific events and times. But are known and proud to be known as Americans. Course I can't speak for everyone, just my opinion

AlbqOwl said:
To want the history of your ancestors included in American History is a righteous desire and worthy of fighting for. To think of your history as separate from American History is quite something else again. I think each of this generation shares in the whole history and any part of it is not exclusive to any of us. Our history may have a bearing on the hand life deals us to play, but neither our environment nor our heritage can dictate what values we will embrace or the choices we will make Ultimately it is not our history, but it is our values and the choices we make that determines who and what we are. And that inludes a choice to be different.

Why does different have to be separate?

? said:
and what history is that

There is quite a bit more to black history than just slavery, go read.

teacher said:
I'll call you African American if you call me European American. Then there's Latin Americans, Chinese Americans, Irish Americans, and then there's Billo, we're not sure. Gets kinda silly after a while don't you think?

European American = white, its the same thing. African-American = black, once again same thing. Irish American, except for a brief period of discrimination of them as immigrants, they are now and have been for a while, white. Hispanic, Asian, etc. we all have different sub-histories, and I think that should be recognized.

Calm2Chaos said:

Why does being different drive a wedge? I mean, you can say whatever you want, but I am different from you, and there is nothing wrong with that. There is no need to cover up being different.

Skilmatic said:
I have never heard in my life when I was in Europe they never call blacks in France french africans or german africans or spanish africans. So why would we call you guys african americans? If you want the title african then go back to africa. A matter of fact I will pay your one way ticket there. Let me know. The only thing I ask is you can never come back here ever again.

The term African-American denotes someone of african descent. That does not mean it has anything to do with some sort of desire for africa over America. America is supposed to tolerate diversity, once again, being different is not the same as separate, if you choose to separate yourself b/c you or someone else is different, that is a personal decision.

Lets make an analogy. Christian : American as Baptist : African-American/black. Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, etc. all believe in the Bible, but they are somewhat different, so they call themselves different. But most would agree that they are all part of the Christian community. In the same way, blacks, whites, hispanics, asians, etc. are different, and so call themselves differently, but they are still the makeup of the American community.

Last edited:
HTColeman said:
Why does different have to be separate?

It shouldn't be separate, nor should any differences be the first consideration.

There is quite a bit more to black history than just slavery, go read.

European American = white, its the same thing. African-American = black, once again same thing. Irish American, except for a brief period of discrimination of them as immigrants, they are now and have been for a while, white. Hispanic, Asian, etc. we all have different sub-histories, and I think that should be recognized.

The Spanish Moors were certainly white, nor are all people of African descent black. Do you think white South Africans or Egyptians consider themselves "African American?" And what of people with African or Asian heritage who are born in France or England and consider themselves to be French or British? They sure aren't white but they consider themselves European. It is misleading and can be insulting to attribute a race to a particular continent.

Why does being different drive a wedge? I mean, you can say whatever you want, but I am different from you, and there is nothing wrong with that. There is no need to cover up being different.

Being different does not drive a wedge. Demanding deference or acknowledgement or privileges or special considerations because of one's differences drives wedges; and when you lead with the 'difference' and make that more important than the whole group, that drives a wedge.

The term African-American denotes someone of african descent. That does not mean it has anything to do with some sort of desire for africa over America. America is supposed to tolerate diversity, once again, being different is not the same as separate, if you choose to separate yourself b/c you or someone else is different, that is a personal decision.

The term African-American should denote somebody who was born in Africa and has immigrated to America. It should denote nothing else. As already explained, it cannot and should not denote race.

Lets make an analogy. Christian : American as Baptist : African-American/black. Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, etc. all believe in the Bible, but they are somewhat different, so they call themselves different. But most would agree that they are all part of the Christian community. In the same way, blacks, whites, hispanics, asians, etc. are different, and so call themselves differently, but they are still the makeup of the American community.

The analogy works well if you put it into proper perspective.

I am a member of the human race first and foremost and that includes all my gifts, talents, interests, passions, hopes, beliefs, loves, and physical attributes. It is these things that makes me both the same as and different from all other members of the human race. I might have occasion under certain circumstances to indicate what is my race, skin color, eye color, hair color, height, weight, etc., but these would be secondary to all other attributes that make me a unique person.

In matters of faith I am Christian first sharing certain attributes with all other Christians. If I identify myself further as Methodist or Baptist or Episcopalian, I indicate possibly secondary or expanded religious beliefs and/or preferences for how to 'do Church'.

I am American first and whatever various breeds are included in my ancestry second. I think all Americans should be American first. For those who identify with another country first, I think they should move to that country because that is where their heart lies.

The color of our skin can play a part in the hand we are dealt to play, and it can even be a part of who we are. But it is not what makes us 'different' or distinguishes us as a human being. I can appreciate your point of view, but I simply cannot share it on that point.

Did anyone ever wonder if eventually there will be no black people, because in years to come they will all interbreed with whites?

alphieb said:
Did anyone ever wonder if eventually there will be no black people, because in years to come they will all interbreed with whites?

I thinik that is a distinct possibility in the process of evolution or adaption or whatever we choose to call it. It is possible that all of humankind will become one universal race that would logically be neither white or black but all sort of a more or less uniform brown. And, it is also a distinct possibility that if the human race doesn't do itself in first, that races based on geography and natural selection will again evolve.

I do think that focusing on the color of skin and making that an issue for any reason is a surefire way to perpetuate race consciousness as more than just one of various human characteristics and thus perpetuate various forms of racism.

Calm2Chaos said:
By the way you left your caps lock on... Just in case you didn't notice
Maybe that's just an AFRICAN-AMERICAN thing.:shock:

Last edited:
alphieb said:
Nope. That thought has never crossed my mind.

Attachments

• dazed011.gif
    dazed011.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 11
AlbqOwl said:
I thinik that is a distinct possibility in the process of evolution or adaption or whatever we choose to call it. It is possible that all of humankind will become one universal race that would logically be neither white or black but all sort of a more or less uniform brown. And, it is also a distinct possibility that if the human race doesn't do itself in first, that races based on geography and natural selection will again evolve.

I do think that focusing on the color of skin and making that an issue for any reason is a surefire way to perpetuate race consciousness as more than just one of various human characteristics and thus perpetuate various forms of racism.
Do you think that some humans are more evolved than others? I have thought that.

Attachments

• artist.gif
    artist.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 29
saffron said:
Do you think that some humans are more evolved than others? I have thought that.

More evolved? I'm sorry if I'm taking this out of context, but your post sounds a bit racist in a non-humorous kinda way.

Maybe racist, but a valid question I think. And yes, I think certain groups of people have evolved somewhat differently including the development of genetic characteristis that are sometimes beneficial; sometimes not. It is not stereotyping and it is not wrong to identify these particular racial characterisitics in order to better find remedies for them or to better utilize them.

Maybe racist, but a valid question I think. And yes, I think certain groups of people have evolved somewhat differently including the development of genetic characteristis that are sometimes beneficial; sometimes not. It is not stereotyping and it is not wrong to identify these particular racial characterisitics in order to better find remedies for them or to better utilize them.

One such example is the prevalence of the semi-sickle cell anemia (spl?) pairing in the black population. While this is a "racial difference", it is in no way a detriment; in fact if we all went to jungles of south america, a whole lot more of the black population would survive due to this half-sickle cell blood helping resisit contraction of diseases from mosquitos.

OdgenTugbyGlub said:
One such example is the prevalence of the semi-sickle cell anemia (spl?) pairing in the black population. While this is a "racial difference", it is in no way a detriment; in fact if we all went to jungles of south america, a whole lot more of the black population would survive due to this half-sickle cell blood helping resisit contraction of diseases from mosquitos.

what are you talking about
no clue what you are saying
but sickle cell anemia affects more than just blacks
including greeks, italians and many more non-black groups

Back
Top Bottom