• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

African American

debate_junkie said:
If your son-in-law's ancestory is traced to Africa, then I could see how he wouldn't mind it. But let's say his ancestory hailed from Haiti, would he still feel the same?

Good point.
He's from Louisiana, so he could very well have ancestors from Haiti.

debate_junkie said:
Tying one race of people with one country is ludicrous, and I think that's the point trying to be made here. At least that's the way it looks to me.

There are lots of different countries in Africa so calling someone African-American would probably identify their continent of cultural/heritage origin.
But I agree, races come from many countries.
ted

Blacks seem to be for the most part the only ones that constantly refer to themselves as african american. If we are describing the italians in the country they are refered to as italian americans to make a distinction. But above and beyond that they are thought of and refered to as Americans as a whole. Blacks however are classified as a group or individual as african american. Which seems to me to be more of an attempt not to be known as americans. Its a description used to seperate themselves from the rest of the country.

I think the whole thing is retarded. Whites have to be called white or caucasian (where ever the Hell Caucasia is. It's not even on the stinkin' map!). Yet it's racist to call blacks, blacks? Why can whites be called whites, but blacks can't be called blacks; or asians called yellows; or Native Americans be called reds? Why can whites only be classified as whites, when we're not even totally white (unless you're albino)? It boggles my mind.

Here's my list on what they should be called:
Whites = Crackers or Honkies (because it sounds funny)
Africans = Blacks or Negroes
Asians = Orientals (their region is called the Orients and their food is called Oriental. So why not them be called Orientals?) And don't forget about the Orient Express!
Native Americans = Indians or Injuns (I'm 1/4 Iroquois [New York], so it doesn't bother me)
Arabs = Arabs or Camel Jockies
Eskimos = Alaskans or Seal Clubbers

Did I forget anyone?

Whites are called whites because whites decided they should be called whites, why whites decides to call themselves whites....is a bit grey.

Donkey1499 said:
I think the whole thing is retarded. Whites have to be called white or caucasian (where ever the Hell Caucasia is. It's not even on the stinkin' map!). Yet it's racist to call blacks, blacks? Why can whites be called whites, but blacks can't be called blacks; or asians called yellows; or Native Americans be called reds? Why can whites only be classified as whites, when we're not even totally white (unless you're albino)? It boggles my mind.

Here's my list on what they should be called:
Whites = Crackers or Honkies (because it sounds funny)
Africans = Blacks or Negroes
Asians = Orientals (their region is called the Orients and their food is called Oriental. So why not them be called Orientals?) And don't forget about the Orient Express!
Native Americans = Indians or Injuns (I'm 1/4 Iroquois [New York], so it doesn't bother me)
Arabs = Arabs or Camel Jockies
Eskimos = Alaskans or Seal Clubbers

Did I forget anyone?

asians consider the term 'oriental' to be the same as 'nigger'
a derogatory term

DeeJayH said:
asians consider the term 'oriental' to be the same as 'nigger'
a derogatory term

"Nigger" actually is the slang term for "negro", which is spanish for "black".

But why would the asians call there region the "Orients" and their food "Oriental Cuisine"? If "Oriental" is slang then that would be like Arabs calling their region "Towel-Headia" or blacks calling their food "Nigger Cuisine".

[Please try to excuse the loose use of "nigger". I am not politically correct. But I do have black friends who allow me to use it, if that means anything to y'all.]

kmhowe72 said:
that how I descibe myself. I am ittallian American

I am American
if someone wanted to know my heritage i tell them where my ancestors came from

i usually dont have to ask others because i can spot a wop, spic, kraut, limey, towel head, dothead, etc... a mile away:3oops: :doh

DeeJayH said:
I am American
if someone wanted to know my heritage i tell them where my ancestors came from

i usually dont have to ask others because i can spot a wop, spic, kraut, limey, towel head, dothead, etc... a mile away:3oops: :doh

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

What would someone be called if they're born in the Atlantic Ocean? Are they an Atlantian?

Donkey1499 said:
"Nigger" actually is the slang term for "negro", which is spanish for "black".

But why would the asians call there region the "Orients" and their food "Oriental Cuisine"? If "Oriental" is slang then that would be like Arabs calling their region "Towel-Headia" or blacks calling their food "Nigger Cuisine".

[Please try to excuse the loose use of "nigger". I am not politically correct. But I do have black friends who allow me to use it, if that means anything to y'all.]

my information comes from a friend who is Victoria's Secret SE Asia buyer-agent.
ironically she is color blind, go figure. And she went to school for poli-sci

and i dont think Asians call their part of the world the Orient. i belive that was the 'evil whitemans' english term for that area

Donkey1499 said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

What would someone be called if they're born in the Atlantic Ocean? Are they an Atlantian?

no they would be called sharkbait

DeeJayH said:
my information comes from a friend who is Victoria's Secret SE Asia buyer-agent.
ironically she is color blind, go figure. And she went to school for poli-sci

and i dont think Asians call their part of the world the Orient. i belive that was the 'evil whitemans' english term for that area

I swear that I saw a travel commercial that had an asian woman say "Come visit us in the Orients!" But that was a while ago. They may have removed the commercial because some low-life Hippie (who ain't even asian) was offended by it.

Donkey1499 said:
LOL. What if they we on a ship or a plane?

you clearly said IN the atlantic
i stand by every word i typed :lol:

as far as the commercial, who produced it?
Orient may have also been commonly used in the past and evolved into a slur
who knows whats really going on the mind of those crazy slopes and gooks:shock: :doh

Uyphenated - Americansd is an OK thing but we need new more modern terms, like:
Tired-American or bankrupt-American. How about non-alcohoñic-American (TWO hyphens) or non-smpking-American.

kmhowe72 said:
that how I descibe myself. I am ittallian American

What part of italy are you from?

Inuyasha. well said m8, u great people from where ever u come from are
doing your best for America,cant get better than that.

all the best to all of U.

kind regards

mikeey

DeeJayH said:
you clearly said IN the atlantic
i stand by every word i typed :lol:

as far as the commercial, who produced it?
Orient may have also been commonly used in the past and evolved into a slur
who knows whats really going on the mind of those crazy slopes and gooks:shock: :doh

Like I said, it was a distant memory. It could even have been something from Carlos Mencia or George Carlin.

And you forgot the Chinks and Japs... LOL j/k

There is no such thing as an African American or Chinese American or Italian American. If you live in this country, you are an American.

I imigrated from Germany 56 years ago and I am not a German American, I AM AN AMERICAN. These people that need to call themselves anything else ought to go back to the countries they came from, period.

Old and Wise, I agree. Americans are americans. that's it. no need to differentiate yourself into sub groups. that is both demeaning and alienating, like you are not quite good enough to be an American you have to be an Irish-American or Estonian-American. end the hyphens and lets bring America back together.

African American is the PC term. I personally call myself Black. I can't claim an entire continent that I can't even trace my roots back to.

Unfair said:
African American is the PC term. I personally call myself Black. I can't claim an entire continent that I can't even trace my roots back to.

You are a racist bigot.

it's called normative whiteness. white people are normal so they don't consider themselves as "other". Hence the ability for Irish americans to assimilate rather easily. There was a point when they were discriminated against, but since they became harder and harder to identify, criticism became more docile. why whites tend to think of themselves as raceless is beyond me at this moment. i believe i have read why before. but yeah that's why we don't call him general german rumsfeld or Mr Bush Englishman, even though those names are much much better. I suggest you write a letter.

but there's so much more to it too. the news targeting 'minority' neighborhoods, depicting them as places no white person would want to go. it doesn't end there, though. for the projection is illustrative of a group.

when you hear about white rural or suburban crime, it always seems to be domestic disorder or problems involving "severly disturbed INDIVIDUALS"

it's obvious, by that who the news is working for. but as always, this analysis could continue for pages.

"yeah, some of my best friends are african american!"
chilling. the scary kind of chilling.

my favorite part is that blacks that are not even from africa get called african americans.....

i could really keep going...

My question is, why do all of the people in the world want to live with white people so much?

All the immigration is flowing out of the Middle East, Asia, Africa into Europe and America.

I got news for you....we dont want you to live with us!

The Banks and Multi National Corporations are forcing the immigration on us.

You can visit....you can do business, but please go away when you are done.

The great thing about Europe are all of the Europeans (Germans, French, Italians, Danes, English, Swedes, etc.)

If that disappears...it will be meaningless to me.

Back
Top Bottom