• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Afghans protest U.S. church's plans to torch Koran

No offense intended, but yhwh/elohim is a right bastard who killed people left and right in the old testament, and many Christians believe that the Bible is the literal word of God, and completely inerrant. It's clear that you don't know enough about Christianity to discuss it adequately.

many christians??? I'm sorry but you are dead wrong. For one the old testament is viewed allegorically and in no way represents the teachings of christ who came for the expressed purpose of refuting the laws of the old testament. christ himself supposedly stated in the new testament that the old is the old and in with the new. I have never ever met a christian who viewed the bible as the unaltered word of god. I'm not saying these people don't exist but they make up a huge minority of christians. The bottom line is the old testament has nothing to do with christianity and is in fact quite contradictory to the new testament. However, people like you seem to forget that when bashing christians.

Im not so much concerned about being pissed off...been there...not overly impressed with impotent dsiplays like the one he will be engaging in. I AM concerned that this asshole of a 'preacher' will make my son a greater target to some extremist scumbag than he already is as one of Obamas 50,000 trip-wires left in Iraq.

hate to break it to you, bigdaddy, but having been there, they alreadly hate us almosts as much as humanly possible so your son will not be in any more significant danger than he already is. Just tell him to keep his eyes peeled, head down and for christ's sake make sure his TC checks and double checks the CREW system every single time they go outside the wire.

many christians??? I'm sorry but you are dead wrong. For one the old testament is viewed allegorically and in no way represents the teachings of christ who came for the expressed purpose of refuting the laws of the old testament. christ himself supposedly stated in the new testament that the old is the old and in with the new. I have never ever met a christian who viewed the bible as the unaltered word of god. I'm not saying these people don't exist but they make up a huge minority of christians. The bottom line is the old testament has nothing to do with christianity and is in fact quite contradictory to the new testament. However, people like you seem to forget that when bashing christians.

I don't know what Christians you're familiar with, but in the states, there are MANY believers who do not believe the Old Testament is an allegory.

http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?id=5624

"This is the King's message," Stafford shouted about the Bible. "This is the infallible, inerrant Word of God. What good is that if all I've got is intellectual truth that doesn't get to my heart and exalts out of me? I can't get over that I'm preaching the King's message."

The stance of the Southern Baptist Convention, one of America's largest religious denominations, is ABSOLUTELY that the Bible is the infallible, inerrant, WORD OF GOD. The Southern Baptist Convention is:

the largest Protestant body in the US with over 16 million members and more than 42,000 churches.[2]

And the belief in the inerrancy of scripture is a core tenet of their beliefs.

I can't speak for anyone else, but 16 million Baptists is MANY.

Nice try, though.

Furthermore, Christ stated that he came to FULFILL the law of the old testament, not to do away with it.

Matthew 5:17: "Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose."

Last edited:
hate to break it to you, bigdaddy, but having been there, they alreadly hate us almosts as much as humanly possible so your son will not be in any more significant danger than he already is. Just tell him to keep his eyes peeled, head down and for christ's sake make sure his TC checks and double checks the CREW system every single time they go outside the wire.

I spent seven tours there. I know we aint exactly 'beloved.' Still its a world of difference when you have that target painted on you vs when its your son.

Whew! I'm safe.

I dont know man...I hear 'shaved' still counts...

Geez...between killing prebuscent males and sexing up 9 year olds, Im surprised the guy had time to right a book...

I dont know man...I hear 'shaved' still counts...

Geez...between killing prebuscent males and sexing up 9 year olds, Im surprised the guy had time to right a book...
How'd ya like to shave your boys with the razors they had in those days? No wonder the castratto was a fad for so many years in Italy. :shock:

How'd ya like to shave your boys with the razors they had in those days? No wonder the castratto was a fad for so many years in Italy. :shock:

Sounds as bad as clitoral mutilation with a sharp rock.

(OK...easy ladies...nowhere near as bad...forgive my irreverant stab at humor...)

Sounds as bad as clitoral mutilation with a sharp rock.

(OK...easy ladies...nowhere near as bad...forgive my irreverant stab at humor...)
Cut it out!

I don't know what Christians you're familiar with, but in the states, there are MANY believers who do not believe the Old Testament is an allegory.

Baptist Press - Inerrant Scripture, joy in Jesus vital in pulpit, Stafford declares - News with a Christian Perspective

The stance of the Southern Baptist Convention, one of America's largest religious denominations, is ABSOLUTELY that the Bible is the infallible, inerrant, WORD OF GOD. The Southern Baptist Convention is:

And the belief in the inerrancy of scripture is a core tenet of their beliefs.

I can't speak for anyone else, but 16 million Baptists is MANY.

Nice try, though.

Furthermore, Christ stated that he came to FULFILL the law of the old testament, not to do away with it.

Matthew 5:17: "Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose."

The laws of Moses refers to the ten commandments, not the old laws and customs of the old testament ie: eye for an eye.

The laws of Moses or the ten commandments are valid even to this day and I can find nothing wrong with them.
As for Mr. Stafford, I can only say that he is misled as many biblical scholars have noted, the bible is at best a history lesson of christ and his teachings not the exact words uttered a millenia ago.

The laws of Moses refers to the ten commandments, not the old laws and customs of the old testament ie: eye for an eye.

The laws of Moses or the ten commandments are valid even to this day and I can find nothing wrong with them.
As for Mr. Stafford, I can only say that he is misled as many biblical scholars have noted, the bible is at best a history lesson of christ and his teachings not the exact words uttered a millenia ago.

Your opinions on this subject aren't the discussion topic. I've provided evidence that MANY Christians in the U.S. believe EXACTLY the same things about their holy book that the muslims believe about theirs.

Hmmm....Christianity has the complete Bible as its divine book, but in the New Testament era, we have a physical and literal REASON why we don't practice the violent aspects of the Old Testament anymore. That reason is Christ.

Does Islam have such a thing? Or did someone decide that we're just in a more modern society now, so the violence of Islamic teachings should just be brushed aside?

Your opinions on this subject aren't the discussion topic. I've provided evidence that MANY Christians in the U.S. believe EXACTLY the same things about their holy book that the muslims believe about theirs.

one man does not equal millions, sorry not proof

When is the last time someone killed hundreds of school children in the name of Christianity? When was the last time someone crashed an airliner into a building full of people in the name of Christianity?
Quite recently, actually.
The LRA terrorized and killed thousands, mutilating civilians, abducting children and displacing over a million during its 20-year rebellion in the east African nation.

Read more: Forgiving the Lord's Resistance Army - TIME

don't you mean "for the acts of a few hundred thousands"?

Conservatively...I would say a few million. Easily. Keeping in mind they number in the billions the fundamentalist extremists dont come close to representing a majority...but...theres enough of them...

This is funny because so many condemn Islam for the acts of a few.

Perception is reality, expecially when you are talking about casting every Muslim into the same mold. But who is responsible for changing that perception? does the responsibility lie with "us" or with "them"? to break it down in simplistic terms. Is it my moral or ethical or humanitarian responsibility to turn the other cheek and look for the good in people? It is very hard to do that when acts of violence and hatred continue to happen without an uproar from the Muslim community denouncing the acts. More often than not, there is not as much as a peep, and as is said, silence speaks volumes.

Perception is reality, expecially when you are talking about casting every Muslim into the same mold. But who is responsible for changing that perception? does the responsibility lie with "us" or with "them"? to break it down in simplistic terms. Is it my moral or ethical or humanitarian responsibility to turn the other cheek and look for the good in people? It is very hard to do that when acts of violence and hatred continue to happen without an uproar from the Muslim community denouncing the acts. More often than not, there is not as much as a peep, and as is said, silence speaks volumes.

silence implies consent.

I don't expect my Muslim friends every time something happens to have to denounce it. I know they are against it and it is good enough for me. And as for changing perception it is up to both sides to have a change in perception.

Back
Top Bottom