• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Afghanistan remains a problem unsolved.

What does everyone propose to deal with Afghanistan?

The deadline for the removal of the US troops still in Afghanistan, estimated at about 2,5000, is approaching. This deadline was set under the administration of Mr. Donald Trump. It is part of an agreement with the Taliban. As far as I can determine, the Afghanistan government in Kabul was not a signatory.

It's difficult for common citizens like me to form an opinion of what the US, under a new administration, should do. There are, it's rumored, secret clauses to the agreement. If there are, the new Administration will be privy to them. They may be the deciding factor on the path the US chooses, going forward.

President of the United States of America Joseph Biden's plate is certainly full. This poor old country mouse hopes that he has chosen his advisors on some basis other than personal loyalty.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the prophylactic Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

Reminder. I try to respond to all who quote my posts. If you do not get a response from me, it may be that you've made it onto my 'Ignore' list.
I have a rather controversial opinion on this topic but I will go ahead and share it with you as food for thought.

IMO the mistake was made back in the 90s under Bush Sr. Part of the terms of the surrender should of been to allow us to build a base like the size we have in Germany, right at the mouth of the Persian gulf. We should of closed our base in Germany and transferred those resources into the middle east. That would of stabilized that region.

All these operations and nation building projects since then have been a massive waste of time and money.

I have a rather controversial opinion on this topic but I will go ahead and share it with you as food for thought.

IMO the mistake was made back in the 90s under Bush Sr. Part of the terms of the surrender should of been to allow us to build a base like the size we have in Germany, right at the mouth of the Persian gulf. We should of closed our base in Germany and transferred those resources into the middle east. That would of stabilized that region.

All these operations and nation building projects since then have been a massive waste of time and money.

Hi!

And thank you muchly for the response. It will take me a while to think it through. It certainly seems like a 'shoulda' at first reading.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

What does everyone propose to deal with Afghanistan?
I can't speak for everyone - but I propose to withdraw under whatever "agreement" was already made with the Taliban for our safe withdrawal. Needless to say, we'll also have to stress, in no uncertain terms, that if any other terrorist activities in the US, or our European allies, are ever traced back to Afghanistan origins, that we'll come back with another posse - read "coalition of the willing" - and retake Kabul, turn the table over again, and then leave them to clean up the mess - again. In a sentence,
"If you don't want to see us in your yard again, then we had better not see you in our yard again." Let it be known that we will leave Afghanis to clean up their own shit - but that we expect never to be downwind, nor downstream of it. Otherwise we'll make sure the shit will hit their fan again.

Once we've removed all of our boots from the ground, then we can constructively engage - multilaterally with our civilized allies - and help them with various forms of aid on the one hand, and sanctions on the other hand, to keep their course straight. Which is to say we will do what we should have done from the very beginning, and what we've long known would have cost us a tiny fraction of the investment in time, blood and taxpayer dollar$ that we've already pissed away, on what has been our catastrophically losing effort.

And before we engage in any future adventurism, we need to resolve nationally that we will strictly adhere to the Powell Doctrine - which was the one that we developed to keep us out of exactly the situation we find ourselves in in Afghanistan.

The deadline for the removal of the US troops still in Afghanistan, estimated at about 2,5000, is approaching. This deadline was set under the administration of Mr. Donald Trump. It is part of an agreement with the Taliban. As far as I can determine, the Afghanistan government in Kabul was not a signatory.

It's difficult for common citizens like me to form an opinion of what the US, under a new administration, should do. There are, it's rumored, secret clauses to the agreement. If there are, the new Administration will be privy to them. They may be the deciding factor on the path the US chooses, going forward.

President of the United States of America Joseph Biden's plate is certainly full. This poor old country mouse hopes that he has chosen his advisors on some basis other than personal loyalty.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the prophylactic Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

Reminder. I try to respond to all who quote my posts. If you do not get a response from me, it may be that you've made it onto my 'Ignore' list.
I thought the Messiah Trump and his God Putin fixed everything. Gee what happened?

It must be Pelosi's fault.

Back
Top Bottom