• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Afghan president flees the country as Taliban move on Kabul

Trump didn't force anything.

Trump and envoy Zalmay Khalilzad forced everything....

US and Taliban sign deal to end 18-year war

February 29,2020
The US and the Taliban have signed an "agreement for bringing peace" to Afghanistan after more than 18 years of conflict. The deal was signed by US special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad and Taliban political chief Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo as a witness. Within the first 135 days of the deal the US will reduce its forces in Afghanistan to 8,600, with allies also drawing down their forces proportionately. The move would allow US President Donald Trump to show that he has brought troops home ahead of the US presidential election in November. The deal also provides for a prisoner swap. Some 5,000 Taliban prisoners and 1,000 Afghan security force prisoners would be exchanged by 10 March, when talks between the Taliban and the Afghan government are due to start. The US will also lift sanctions against the Taliban and work with the UN to lift its separate sanctions against the group.

Trump left Biden with a self-serving agreement to pull out US forces so Trump could claim he ended the war.

Since the government of Afghanistan was excluded, the Taliban never stopped their war against the Kabul govt.

It's not inexplicable. It's the predictable result of an incompetent trump with his bad policies. The Taliban said they wanted the government left out, and trump said ok. That was that.

Honestly I don't think it was any more Trump's fault than anything else. Afghanistan is called the "Graveyard of Empire" for a reason. At 20 years we gave it as good a go at stabilizing their nation as anyone could have done. I'm sure being occupied by Americans wasn't their first choice but we set the Taliban on its heels for a while. And if the Afghans want a non-Taliban society they will have to step up more than they did.

There was NEVER going to be a good time for the US to withdraw and, yeah, maybe peak "fighting season" was suboptimal I'm not convinced that it would make much difference in the longer term.

Afghan president flees the country as Taliban move on Kabul

ratio3x2_350.jpg

Hundreds of Al-Qaeda and Islamic State militants were released from confinement at Bagram Air Base. Less than 2,500 Afghans that had worked for the US military as translators have been evacuated. A least 88,000 former Afghan interpreters and contractors and their families were awaiting an evacuation that may now never happen. Clearly, Joe Biden overestimated the fighting ability of the 300,000 strong Afghanistan National Army (ANA) and underestimated the prowess and determination of 80,000 Taliban militia. You have to remember that the Talban have been fighting against the finest military in the world for 20 years. They learned a lot in the process. Afghanistan will once again become an Islamist caliphate and a nation of battered women. It seems to me that the preparation, the intelligence, and the planning for the American exit was insufficient for the task. It's no secret that the Pentagon did not agree with Biden's August 31 withdrawal date. That said, it was Donald Trump that actually forced all of this by capitulating to the Taliban in late February 2020 during the Doha negotiations. Inexplicably, the Afghan government was not included in the US/Taliban talks. Like it or not, Joe Biden is going to own this Saigon-like flight from Kabul and its aftermath. I said as much back on July 6, 2020....

Biden's 'fall of Saigon' in Afghanistan presents worst moment yet of presidency

The Withdrawal From Afghanistan Was Destined for Disaster
Are we bringing him to the US? I think we are planning on getting as many of the people who aided the US out as possible and bringing them here as well...

Biden has blood on his hands. Americans, allies are being told to take shelter in place, don't go to the embassy or the airport. Gunfire being heard at the airport in Kabul.
How does Biden have blood on his hands? The withdrawal plan was put in place by Trump...not Biden.

Trump didn't force anything. Biden made it his business to end a lot of stuff that Trump did. He could have told the Taliban that a new sheriff is in town and all deals are off. Anyone who tries to "blame Trump" is ****ing lying.

No...this is Biden's **** up. He's the one that said the Afghanistan government wasn't going to fall. He's the one that said that the Afghanistan Army will beat the Taliban. Hell, even when he realized he was wrong, he said it'll take 90 days for the Taliban to take over. He was wrong on everything.

But...a few questions:

Will he take responsibility when all those Afghan people who worked for the US get executed? He didn't come up with any kind of plan to evacuate them...until it was too late.

What about those 5000 American soldiers? Is he going to get them out? Or are they on their own? Will they be left to be killed by the Taliban?

It looks like there's gonna be a LOT of blood on Biden's hands.
Trump negotiated withdrawal...it was signed and sealed before Biden took office...there was little he could do to change that without Congressional approval.

Trump negotiated withdrawal...it was signed and sealed before Biden took office...there was little he could do to change that without Congressional approval.
Nonsense. Congress had nothing to do with it. They didn't give approval in the first place.

Seriously...stop making shit up to excuse Biden's **** up.

Nonsense. Congress had nothing to do with it. They didn't give approval in the first place.

It was an already signed agreement...international agreement...signed by Trump. Are you saying Trump screwed up? He set the plan in place and it was already being moved forward. Why should Biden step in and stop something Trump put in motion? It is a binding agreement...Congress can declare war...not Biden. It was negotiated in Feb 2020...long before Biden won the presidency and took office...a year earlier

Last edited:

The biggest **** up is Donald Trump showing he knows nothing about foreign policy. He was played like a fiddle as usual.

Trump signed off on this deal, Trumpsters cheered. They said it's about time, they said it was the warmongering RINOS and Dems that got us into the mess, but Trump was going to get us out... They knelt down and hailed Trump...

Biden abides by the deal, now Trumpsters are no longer kneeling and hailing.... Lol

What a bunch of phony hypocrites Trumpsters are...

It was an already signed agreement...international agreement...signed by Trump. Are you saying Trump screwed up? He set the plan in place and it was already being moved forward. Why should Biden step in and stop something Trump put in motion? It is a binding agreement...Congress can declare war...not Biden. It was negotiated in Feb 2020...long before Biden won the presidency and took office...a year earlier
Biden, himself, said he had a choice. He made his choice and he ****ed it up.

“I inherited a deal cut by my predecessor — which he invited the Taliban to discuss at Camp David on the eve of 9/11 of 2019 — that left the Taliban in the strongest position militarily since 2001 and imposed a May 1, 2021 deadline on US forces,” Mr. Biden said. “Shortly before he left office, he also drew US forces down to a bare minimum of 2,500.”

The president said, “Therefore, when I became President, I faced a choice — follow through on the deal, with a brief extension to get our forces and our allies’ forces out safely, or ramp up our presence and send more American troops to fight once again in another country’s civil conflict. I was the fourth President to preside over an American troop presence in Afghanistan — two Republicans, two Democrats. I would not, and will not, pass this war onto a fifth.”

Furthermore, Biden DIDN'T follow Trump's plan.

Mr. Trump responded by saying Mr. Biden “ran out of Afghanistan instead of following the plan our administration left for him.

“What a disgrace it will be when the Taliban raises their flag over America’s Embassy in Kabul,” Mr. Trump retorted.​

The blood is on Biden's hands.

Biden, himself, said he had a choice. He made his choice and he ****ed it up.

“I inherited a deal cut by my predecessor — which he invited the Taliban to discuss at Camp David on the eve of 9/11 of 2019 — that left the Taliban in the strongest position militarily since 2001 and imposed a May 1, 2021 deadline on US forces,” Mr. Biden said. “Shortly before he left office, he also drew US forces down to a bare minimum of 2,500.”​
The president said, “Therefore, when I became President, I faced a choice — follow through on the deal, with a brief extension to get our forces and our allies’ forces out safely, or ramp up our presence and send more American troops to fight once again in another country’s civil conflict. I was the fourth President to preside over an American troop presence in Afghanistan — two Republicans, two Democrats. I would not, and will not, pass this war onto a fifth.”​

Furthermore, Biden DIDN'T follow Trump's plan.

Mr. Trump responded by saying Mr. Biden “ran out of Afghanistan instead of following the plan our administration left for him.”​
“What a disgrace it will be when the Taliban raises their flag over America’s Embassy in Kabul,” Mr. Trump retorted.​

The blood is on Biden's hands.
Trump signed the agreement...why is it Biden's problem to go back on the agreement? Trump has a history of this jacked up way of doing things...it isn't the first time....at least Biden is trying to the interpreters and others out and not leaving them stranded like Trump did before.

Trump signed the agreement...why is it Biden's problem to go back on the agreement? Trump has a history of this jacked up way of doing things...it isn't the first time....at least Biden is trying to the interpreters and others out and not leaving them stranded like Trump did before.
Because @Mycroft will never criticize his lord and savior, Donald Trump.

Again, Biden had a choice. He said he did. He made his choice and he ****ed up.

Again, Biden had a choice. He said he did. He made his choice and he ****ed up.
No, actually Biden didn't really have a choice....why should he re enter a war that Trump already walked away from? Trump handed the keys to the Taliban...it was up to Congress to declare war if they were opposed to Trump doing that.

No, actually Biden didn't really have a choice.
So...do you think Biden was saying stupid shit? Is he clueless? Or, maybe, he was just spouting the bullshit his handlers put in front of him?

I mean, you are disagreeing with what HE said.

It's not inexplicable. It's the predictable result of an incompetent trump with his bad policies. The Taliban said they wanted the government left out, and trump said ok. That was that.

Intel changes in an instant.

In our case.......Biden presided over the worst intel in recent history.

Biden's intel people said 90 days, and it took the sandal wearing zealots a week?

Get real!

So...do you think Biden was saying stupid shit? Is he clueless? Or, maybe, he was just spouting the bullshit his handlers put in front of him?

I mean, you are disagreeing with what HE said.
he was keeping the agreement Trump made. Again, are you saying that we should not have made an agreement with the Taliban? That is what Trump did.

Intel changes in an instant.

In our case.......Biden presided over the worst intel in recent history.

Biden's intel people said 90 days, and it took the sandal wearing zealots a week?

Get real!
There isn't any real fighting going on...the Afghani army put down there weapons and walked away, because we already had abandoned them almost a year ago..Trump was trying to get all soldiers out before he left office.

Don't forget that the agreement also released 5,000 Taliban prisoners last year... No doubt most of these are part of this rapid takeover we are seeing...

President Ashraf Ghani of Afghanistan on Sunday said his government would release a last batch of Taliban prisoners, removing the final hurdle in the way of direct negotiations with the insurgents to end the country’s long war.

His announcement came after a consultative assembly where he had been advised by thousands of representatives from across the country.

The release of 5,000 Taliban prisoners, which the United States agreed to in a February deal with the insurgents that also began the phased withdrawal of American troops, faced opposition from the Afghan government, which is holding the prisoners. After prolonged pressure from the Trump administration, Mr. Ghani released 4,600 prisoners from a list provided by the Taliban but called for consultations over 400, who he said were accused or convicted of major crimes, including murder, that were beyond his authority to pardon.

At the start of the consultative assembly, on Friday, more than 3,000 delegates crammed themselves under one tent in the capital, Kabul, despite fears of the coronavirus. Mr. Ghani said his government was at a crossroads.

Biden has blood on his hands. Americans, allies are being told to take shelter in place, don't go to the embassy or the airport. Gunfire being heard at the airport in Kabul.
Gee I would think ya' gotta' be alive to take shelter.

90 days or 9 days? What hell is the difference? 20 years of training and propping up the Afghani Army was a waste of time and money. Another 20 years wouldn't have made any difference...

Afghan president flees the country as Taliban move on Kabul​

Likely with suitcases full of greenbacks.

he was keeping the agreement Trump made. Again, are you saying that we should not have made an agreement with the Taliban? That is what Trump did.
No. He didn't. He changed the agreement, made his own plan...and here we are.

I'm not talking about what Trump did. I'm talking about Biden's **** up.

The biggest **** up is Donald Trump showing he knows nothing about foreign policy. He was played like a fiddle as usual.
Bisen has 47 years of foreign **** ups.
90 days or 9 days? What hell is the difference? 20 years of training and propping up the Afghani Army was a waste of time and money. Another 20 years wouldn't have made any difference...
Our military depends on shifting intel and updates. If we ran the war on this kind of intel, the Taliban would have won years ago.

Do you feel good about sending our youth into conflicts with shit intel?

Back
Top Bottom